Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Daily Show Band had mics tonight.

I'm wondering if they are building toward something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bull3964 posted:

Next week they'll add feet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mavric posted:

I watch it on the TDS comedy central site with no problems? I'm west coast though so by 11pm its already up a free.
I have a lot of streaming issues on the comedy central site but I suspect it's because I moved and ended up in a neighborhood that comcast hates. They tend to have the previous night's episode up by 8am PST the next day but it's a little inconsistent.

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm not sure what a party model is but it sounds like a good direction for Hulu to take
I'm thinking chat window along the side, sort of like a twitch stream?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be "pay" model instead.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be "pay" model instead.

Yeah this. Anyways I went to the CC website and it worked fine. For some reason I thought you needed a log on from your cable vendor. Thanks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've gotta say that Bill Clinton had the most graceful reaction to that balloon bomb I would have thought possible. Then his comment about how he wished someone had hooked him off stage was great.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

My thought exactly.

While I don't think Trevor's been as legendary as Jon (and it'll take a lot of time), I like where he's been going - he's trying things and while it doesn't always work it's not been a failure either. I like Trevor :unsmith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The problem with Trevor is and always will be that Jon was at his best when he was really mad about something, and only white people are allowed to be mad about stuff without people calling them thugs and feeling all threatened. See also: Richard Sherman yelling or Muhammad Ali bragging vs. any white athlete doing the same thing, and the news media's reaction.

We really need Trevor to get mad about poo poo and tear it apart, but he's handcuffed by the need to not be "just another angry black guy" in media, so he acts more measured on all topics than I wish he would.

That aside, I still like Trevor, and it took Jon years of dealing with bullshit to finally say gently caress it and find his voice.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it'll take time - he's on the slope to greatness, you can tell. But that kind of power base isn't built in a day and only time and sustained effort is going to give him that.

That Bill Clinton interview was great though. Goddamn.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I've been pretty unimpressed with Bill Clinton interviews for a few years now.

Maybe it's just my shifting politics. But I think it's more of Bill just rambling on and on.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

I've been pretty unimpressed with Bill Clinton interviews for a few years now.

Maybe it's just my shifting politics. But I think it's more of Bill just rambling on and on.

What are you expecting? He said it in that interview - he's out of the game and loving it

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Old man Bill gives no fucks.

I'm just glad Bush sits at home painting his feet. I don't want to see him on the air ever again.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I thought Michelle Wolf's bit tonight was pretty good. Kielbasa nips.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Really? I thought it was as terrible and open-mic-nightish as it always is.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
All her bits have been open mic night, but i have enjoyed them so whatever gently caress ya'll.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Old man Bill gives no fucks.

I'm just glad Bush sits at home painting his feet. I don't want to see him on the air ever again.

The best thing I can say for W is that he had the grace to gently caress off pretty thoroughly after leaving office. I think he knows he was in over his head.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not that it would ever have happened, but I wished we got a Stewart/Dubya interview; even though such a hypothetical interview would be disappointing anyway because it won't change what happened during the Bush presidency.

Before I thought I commented on Nightly more than Daily because it's fresher in my mind when I come to this thread after watching both; but it's now more apparently the case that Nightly, partly because it's a rougher show, was just more interesting to comment on. I really don't have too much to say about Trevor's Daily Show. It's generally polished but its bits are mostly forgettable a few days after it airs. Besides the bit about Trump being an African dictator, there's not that many moments I could safely say belongs in the "Trevor Noah canon" after a year of this.

I liked Trevor's take on the bombings.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think that one of the things that Trevor misses, is anger. He just never feels unbuttoned. He can be funny, smart, sharp, charming, somber, etc, but I literally cannot think of a single instance when he's allowed himself to use anger on stage. I wonder how much of that comes from his race and background, but it is something that he hasn't pulled out of his quiver - if it was ever in it.

Stewarts "best of" moments are often when he's actually mad at someone or what they represent, and he goes right for the heart using a variety of techniques. Trevor dumps balloons on a man who recently told a crowd full of BLM protestors that they need to stop black on black crime before worrying about police profiling and brutality.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's been brought up before, and Obama has admitted it too, that too often he'll just be labeled as an "Angry Black Man".

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
omfg these are the dumbest loving people alive

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Winkie01 posted:

omfg these are the dumbest loving people alive

Well yeah, they're trump supporters

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

The problem with Trevor is and always will be that Jon was at his best when he was really mad about something, and only white people are allowed to be mad about stuff without people calling them thugs and feeling all threatened. See also: Richard Sherman yelling or Muhammad Ali bragging vs. any white athlete doing the same thing, and the news media's reaction.

We really need Trevor to get mad about poo poo and tear it apart, but he's handcuffed by the need to not be "just another angry black guy" in media, so he acts more measured on all topics than I wish he would.

That aside, I still like Trevor, and it took Jon years of dealing with bullshit to finally say gently caress it and find his voice.
So, mere days after I said this, Trevor let himself be angry on TV about a thing he should be angry about, and it was fantastic. In as much as a man reacting to an innocent person being killed by police can be fantastic.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

LividLiquid posted:

So, mere days after I said this, Trevor let himself be angry on TV about a thing he should be angry about, and it was fantastic. In as much as a man reacting to an innocent person being killed by police can be fantastic.
Which episode? I'd like to check it out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

pwn posted:

Which episode? I'd like to check it out.
Last night's. About the most recent police shooting.

Now he didn't go full Jon-rage, but I think I saw the spark of something that could grow into the host I hope he becomes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Took Jon a lot longer for the rage, but maybe it would have developed sooner if he had to deal with Trump in his first year.

Colbert really had the Jon rage the other night. It was excellent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Took Jon a lot longer for the rage, but maybe it would have developed sooner if he had to deal with Trump in his first year.

Colbert really had the Jon rage the other night. It was excellent.

Yup. It's not often that a network late night host gets to say that the reason why the presidential candidate didn't suck his balls 4 years ago was that he had a mouthful of Putin's balls.

Colbert gives no fucks right now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Yup. It's not often that a network late night host gets to say that the reason why the presidential candidate didn't suck his balls 4 years ago was that he had a mouthful of Putin's balls.

Colbert gives no fucks right now.
drat, dude. Can I get a date on this? I wanna' see it!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Police rage was probably one of the things that Larry did better than Trevor, so I haven't really closely processed Trevor's police bits. Maybe it's also Larry just being older (and also having some "son of an officer" credibility); you can infer a stronger "sick and tired of being sick and tired" sentiment from him.

But Trevor's rant was pretty good. Can't say it's good enough to break through the crowded scene in an ongoing conversation that many people have already weighed in on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LividLiquid posted:

drat, dude. Can I get a date on this? I wanna' see it!

It was Monday, first sitting segment.

quote:

Harkening back to his Colbert Super PAC days, the host recalled the time he offered to donate $1 million to the charity of Trump’s choice if he would let him dip his balls in his mouth. “Now, for some reason, Donald, you did not take the deal,” he said. “I'm going to guess it’s because your mouth was already full of Vladimir Putin's balls.” "

Finally, replaying Trump’s comments that Obama was “born in the United States, period,” Colbert shot back, “No! Not period. Question mark. gently caress you, exclamation point!”

As for the $5 million dollar donation Trump once promised Obama if he could definitively prove his citizenship, the host added, “He’s probably waiting on that check right now, you know, like most of your contractors.”
“So, Mr. Trump, now's your chance to put your money where your mouth is,” Colbert said, “or, barring that, there's always my balls.”

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:stare:

Thank you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The most baffling part of that was CBS censoring not only the innocuous "balls," but even "mouth."

The Tiffany Network really takes their high-class image seriously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lately, I think he's been seeking out things to challenge what the censors will actually bleep or blur.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

pwn posted:

The most baffling part of that was CBS censoring not only the innocuous "balls," but even "mouth."

The Tiffany Network really takes their high-class image seriously.

Two and a Half Men proved that.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

You know it's all on YouTube right? I read that too and just came back outta from that rabbit hole. Two hours later. drat I didn't realise how much good colbert I'd missed.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
W-ow. I've never had to restrain myself from attacking the TV screen.

That Tomi lady is the literal worst person I've ever seen.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Majorian posted:

W-ow. I've never had to restrain myself from attacking the TV screen.

That Tomi lady is the literal worst person I've ever seen.

What really got me hardest was that she's just a year younger than me, and she's probably making a lot of money for just spouting a lot of inflammatory poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FELD1 posted:

What really got me hardest was that she's just a year younger than me, and she's probably making a lot of money for just spouting a lot of inflammatory poo poo.

Fox News has shown that few things are as lucrative as being a blonde white lady who can scream at length about how white people are the real minority in America. (Closely followed by being a black person doing the same.)

Lmao if anyone believes she actually watched the bet awards though. Not that anyone watching her would call her on it, of course, because neither did they.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I like that in calling Kap a "whiny, indulgent, attention-seeking crybaby" she doesn't see that she's actually describing herself.

And by "like" I mean weep softly in fear that my generation's spawn has ruined the world.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Michelle Wolf may be the worst correspondent I've ever seen. Of course, I didn't really watch the show from 2009 - 2014, so I may have missed someone truly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly you weren't around to witness the reaction to Josh Gad or Olivia Munn.

• Locked thread