Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That will not go well. Subscriptions remain the absolute third rail of backers. Locking any content behind it will absolutely piss off the community. Remember, these people are idiots, but they ridiculously self-entitled idiots. Anything that denies them content, especially denied behind a pay wall, will fracture that delicate mental construct that enables the delusion of CIG being a benevolent company.

Anything that forces them to pay more money is good for Star Citizen because ________

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Star Citizen: Around The Verse 3.8 – DE
Sep 22, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7GG0y8Jmcs

@ 00.50s
"And we're deep into prep for performance capture shoot for 3.0 which is currently slotted early after Citizencon"
- Sandi Gardiner

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Upvotes. Give it all the upvotes.

vvv You imply they are able to win an argument at all. vvv

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 23, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Derek Smart vs Star Citizen fans (I almost wrote players, but there aren't that many) is so crazy.

Going after his game is silly. It may not be AAA quality, but it's his own money used to make it. He didn't con 120 million dollars out of people with false promises and zero ability to back it up. That's a claim only Chris Roberts can make.

If Derek, all the sudden, had a heart attack and died (don't actually do this!), this isn't going to make Star Citizen suddenly better, feasible, or happen. It's still going to be poo poo with or without Derek, SA, or anybody else.

That failed game smell isn't something you can fight away by winning an argument on the Internet guys. :cheers:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pilz posted:

I've noticed this before, some people are just able to survive the worst working conditions by not actually giving a poo poo about the quality of the final product. I have a hell of a lot of trouble dealing with certain managers, directives, etc, because I can see they're loving things up and that drives me up the wall. A lot of these other people though, they don't care. It's like they're made for working minimum wage jobs; they're able to do the absolute minimum necessary with no concern for quality and they're able to do it without it affecting their attitude towards other things. That's who's left at Star Citizen; people who know they're unfirable so long as they don't cross certain lines and do nothing but avoid crossing those lines. They come in, dick around on something for a few hours to be productive, then go home. At the end of this, they'll walk off and not give a single poo poo that they were in part responsible for the creation of the shitheap that is whatever they finally parp out in a desperate attempt to avoid lawsuits.

Some people are born with that attitude but most are beaten into it. gently caress bad managers.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of bad managerz: Mr Smart, you haven't sent me my pay check yet. Shitizens are hard to harass on Google when I'm not being compensated.

Archive that reddit.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This is hardly the appropriate place for this discussion.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Pilz posted:

I've noticed this before, some people are just able to survive the worst working conditions by not actually giving a poo poo about the quality of the final product. I have a hell of a lot of trouble dealing with certain managers, directives, etc, because I can see they're loving things up and that drives me up the wall. A lot of these other people though, they don't care. It's like they're made for working minimum wage jobs; they're able to do the absolute minimum necessary with no concern for quality and they're able to do it without it affecting their attitude towards other things. That's who's left at Star Citizen; people who know they're unfirable so long as they don't cross certain lines and do nothing but avoid crossing those lines. They come in, dick around on something for a few hours to be productive, then go home. At the end of this, they'll walk off and not give a single poo poo that they were in part responsible for the creation of the shitheap that is whatever they finally parp out in a desperate attempt to avoid lawsuits.

I disagree with this assessment.

Ben seems genuinely devoted and works downright industriously to catalog all things Wing Commander.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D1E posted:

I don't understand how you can continue to underestimate how stupid these people are.

In this case it's not stupidity. It's a very fragile set of beliefs that allow them to maintain the illusion that CIG is a benevolent company that isn't pulling off the same scummy poo poo that the "bad' companies do.

Ghostlight posted:

You are talking about a community that just this week has been trying to ban people sharing with them the content locked behind the Evocati wall.

The Evocati aren't paying a subscription. They're the most dedicated members of the community, who have earned the right to waste hundreds of hours bug testing without being paid for it. And eventually the stuff they "test" is dribbled down to the rest of the spergs. But actually lock that content behind a paywall, and deny the super-entitled backers who have been putting up with CIG's poo poo from the beginning? That's when things get awkward.

A few years ago I spent a lot of time talking to people about which business model would be most viable for CIG. The idea was that perhaps selling in-game currency at a fixed rate that was an order of magnitude greater than the market rate might be a bad idea, and perhaps an alternative would be more feasible. I found that nothing is more polarizing than a subscription model. The only reason CIG has gotten away with it is because the subscription rewards have been either cosmetic or early access. Actually locking content behind a paywall would be something completely new.

D_Smart posted:

Well thanks a lot Beer. I just got kicked out of the bedroom - again - for laughing out loud while my wife is trying to sleep.

:argh:

Ask her if she's gotten any strange e-mails about your mental state with the subject line "Totally Not Doxxing".

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5/page1152?p=4547279&viewfull=1#post4547279

:argh:

They mad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lladre posted:

So they changed the way they wave at the end of the video so you jerks can't make funny gifs of Chris knocking off her mask.
:kheldragar:

Actually, in the latest AtV you could shop Chris chopping his own face off.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
CIG confirms a minor TheAgent prediction on AtV today.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=5041&perpage=40#post463056851

TheAgent posted:

more mocap reshoots for both new SC and SQ42 content slated for october this year

Sandi posted:

And we're deep into prep for performance capture [for 3.0] which is currently slotted early after CitizenCon

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lime Tonics posted:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Blown-Tire-Shoes/

forgot to post the guide, but the most common trash found all over the world is tires. Even on a deserted island you can find them.

No, i think that's just US.

Seriously, my visit to LA was the most blown tires just lying around i've ever seen in my life.
I went my whole adult life seeing maybe one or two, in LA you can see one every 100 meters, all over the freeways.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
lol "prep for performance capture" releasing 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

not my best work ....

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I really wonder how many times they have had to shoot the same scenes because their mo-cap data isn't compatible with whatever the gently caress

I'm guessing at least 3 times

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

a lot of mocap issues with translating them directly into the game, mostly due to character and players size (?? not sure what this means)

Sounds like the thing about them scaling down models to make distances appear bigger is true?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Milky Moor posted:

Sounds like the thing about them scaling down models to make distances appear bigger is true?

I remember someone saying something about making the character like an inch tall to make a very limited playground into a much more expensive one, but this trick leads to troubles with, say, aiming guns or shrinking human motion capture like loving honey I shrunk the kids (presumably)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

Nah, this is due to body heights, limb lengths and torsos actually varying from one human being to another, while CIG is trying to blindly map shoddily captured motion to completely differently proportioned player and non-player models (including infamous vanduuuuul models that are half a meter taller than humans, and for which they've even failed to design the interiors properly at one time).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hahahah this is beautiful

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

I don't know if I've ever seen such disdain on a gif that didn't involve a catte

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Indeed - and Sandi read out "slated" as "slotted", it's almost as if The Agent saw the script.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Seems like Sandi is being typecast as "Tattooed woman"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: The fresh nuggets of PU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Plural Abysss posted:

Seems like Sandi is being typecast as "Tattooed woman"

It's a step-up from "tickled woman".

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Verse: noted cool, non-nerdy term

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

It looks like he's describing their honeymoon. The first one, not the one where she married him because she figured out a way to bilk nerds for money using Chris's game cred.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So does she.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I see the camera finally caught him communicating with Sandi in her native, reptilian language.

HotsauceShoTYME
Feb 5, 2016
The "Mo" in Mocap doesn't work......

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really wonder how many times they have had to shoot the same scenes because their mo-cap data isn't compatible with whatever the gently caress

I'm guessing at least 3^3(3*3) times

seems about right.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/QxxZrkK.gifv

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

daaaaaaaaw

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so the first thing they do when a studio does something that they find distasteful is.......demand refunds? weird.

I'm pretty sure that they'll find that E:D is pretty much a finished product and that even the most liberal of consumer advocates are going to laugh at them for trying to do this.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

nice bathtub pond. wait a minute, that isn't a log.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
The Gamescom show was effective in part because it was just a pure gameplay demonstration. By contrast, it's sounding like CitizenCon is going to be giving us the more familiar slime ball CIG that iust wants to find ways to grift poo poo on hapless marks. I'm sure there will be an equally beautiful procgen demo and star marine or whatever, but I'm really excited to see more shameless hocking, $50 FPS classes yes please.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The Gamescom show was effective in part because it was just a pure gameplay demonstration. By contrast, it's sounding like CitizenCon is going to be giving us the more familiar slime ball CIG that iust wants to find ways to grift poo poo on hapless marks. I'm sure there will be an equally beautiful procgen demo and star marine or whatever, but I'm really excited to see more shameless hocking, $50 FPS classes yes please.

:same:

Boobo
Apr 9, 2007

Raskolnikov posted:

not my best work ....

This should get the recognition it deserves. You've started something great. Maybe it won't be finished today, or tomorrow, or even financial Q1 of 2017, but one day this will be the BDSSGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wow those guys have some great ideas. Frontier please read all their suggestions and do the exact opposite

• Locked thread