Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in 2 or 3 years vr will either have died or managed to adapt software that is suited to it.
I highly doubt traditional videogames will be the type of software that makes vr ubiquitous and vr made for gaming will likely be eclipsed in a few years by smaller and more versatile vr systems that are made by companies with priorities outside of videogames and marketed to consumers who are not core gamers.

nintendo's portable strategy based on rumors has no place for vr now. and if vr really catches on down the line they'll put a mario on it when the business is mature enough like they just did at the iphone 7 conference

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Nintendo just got done getting burned on putting 3D on a handheld and an expensive screen on a controller. I don't think they'll touch VR or anything that would massively impact the production cost of their console/handheld.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Can you play anything with precision in VR? Like the Sega Activator before it, VR is a fad for false gamers to feel like their games have gotten better without challenging them any further. 'Nuff said.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/1/12077502/nintendo-vr-miyamoto-kimishima-comments tl;dr they have doubts about whether VR has legs.

They're betting their console business on the NX and long ago bowed out of the spec war, so waiting on VR is probably the right thing to do.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Decus posted:

Nintendo just got done getting burned on putting 3D on a handheld

Lol

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

they got burned by having the best selling console of the current generation.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Nintendo just got done having a dirty diaper and then messed their fresh one.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Decus posted:

Nintendo just got done getting burned on putting 3D on a handheld and an expensive screen on a controller. I don't think they'll touch VR or anything that would massively impact the production cost of their console/handheld.

Yeah their extremely successful handheld system sure burned them :confused:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

My hands get kinda warm sometimes when I play it for hours, with the 3D all the way up. :cool:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i dont like 3d or the 3ds. i guess ninty really is doomed :(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The New 3DS is like magic, how does it know where my face is!!! The 3D is nice now that it actually works, though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Instant Sunrise posted:

they got burned by having the best selling console of the current generation.

They had to massively drop the price soon after launch because the lovely 3D gimmick was not enticing buyers to pay a premium.
The lenticular screen also increased the cost of the BOM and they had to release a cut down edition that was 2D only.
It's also likely the cause of all the problems sourcing the LCD screens and therefore console roulette.

Whether it's the "generation handheld sales leader" or not is irrelevant; the 3DS is far less successful than the DS was.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

~Coxy posted:

They had to massively drop the price soon after launch because the lovely 3D gimmick was not enticing buyers to pay a premium.
The lenticular screen also increased the cost of the BOM and they had to release a cut down edition that was 2D only.
It's also likely the cause of all the problems sourcing the LCD screens and therefore console roulette.

Whether it's the "generation handheld sales leader" or not is irrelevant; the 3DS is far less successful than the DS was.

This person is talking about a fun computer toy that shoots holograms directly into your eyes.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

~Coxy posted:

that console roulette problem hurts a lot. do i play my Limited Edition Mario and Luigi Dream Team 3ds XL, my Pokemon Special 20th Anniversery Edition New 3ds or my X and Y 2ds? any advice?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
VR is exactly the same kind of shovel ware mini games gamers complained about with the Wii but now they like Woooooooaaaah holy shiiiiit I'm wearing a helmeeeet!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

~Coxy posted:

The epic launch title for the 3DS was Pilotwings lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

Can you play anything with precision in VR? Like the Sega Activator before it, VR is a fad for false gamers to feel like their games have gotten better without challenging them any further. 'Nuff said.

Um ya vive has one to one tracking. You can be like a cyborg ninja and katana dudes then force push them away it's sweet

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Nine ten do's always been about AR. Maybe the NX is just them buying a warehouse full of unopened Google Glass.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DalaranJ posted:

Don Cheadle stars in Hotel Mario 2?

Hotel Rwario

acksplode posted:

Ubisoft said a lot of the same stuff about the Wii and then crapped out Red Steel.

But then they also made Zombi U on Wii U so I feel like that balances the ledger.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Hotel Rwario

But then they also made Zombi U on Wii U so I feel like that balances the ledger.

nah

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
ZombiiU needed about six more months in the oven.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
meanwhile rayman legends needed six months less

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

acksplode posted:

Ubisoft said a lot of the same stuff about the Wii and then crapped out Red Steel.

Ubisoft published fantastic Wii titles like No More Heroes and No More Heroes II.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

red steel 2 was pretty cool and let you be a silly samurai cowboy

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Motto posted:

:yeah:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The 3DS is a neat handheld with a lot of great games but I almost never use the 3D and I wish the screen resolution was higher. It sure made them a lot of money though.

The Wii U is an unsuccessful console from a business point of view but has a lot of great games and I kinda don't care that it didn't make much money because I still got to play Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade CX and Super Mario 3D World and on and on. The Scott Pilgrim effect, if you will.

These are my opinions on Nintendo's last mixed-success gen.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Since the Wii U thread seems to be deader than the Wii U, I thought I'd mention here that Nintendo seems to have goofed, and preloaded copies of Paper Mario: Color Splash are playable right now. It'll probably be fixed by the time I download it though so I'm not bothering.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2016147731A1.pdf

NX built in projector confirmed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i can't believe they did this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

now i can do all the cool things that basketball arenas do before games

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Quest For Glory II posted:

now i can do all the cool things that basketball arenas do before games

I hope it can project a 2pac hologram.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I think Miiverse as we know it may be shutting down soon. Like a few months from now soon. I just have...a feeling you know. Nothing concrete to go on.

Start collecting the best moments from the past four years so you can treasure them later just in case.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

tl;dr. Also, I don't speak Japanese.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Chernabog posted:

tl;dr. Also, I don't speak Japanese.

Basically the NX has no screen so to play it you'll project the image onto the sidewalk or the bus seat or the back of the person in front of you or whatever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a good patent and good technology, I'm kind of shocked that isn't on the market already.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Motto posted:

Is it anything like Samurai Western?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

greatn posted:

VR is exactly the same kind of shovel ware mini games gamers complained about with the Wii but now they like Woooooooaaaah holy shiiiiit I'm wearing a helmeeeet!

pretty much

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I hope Nintendo dies just because some people call it Ninty and that's stupid

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Did anyone manage to download the entire Color Splash game before the pre-loading SNAFU got fixed? If so, how is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Did anyone manage to download the entire Color Splash game before the pre-loading SNAFU got fixed? If so, how is it?

as good as the last three

• Locked thread