Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone want to look over a concept document/OP I'm throwing together for a new OW PBP game here? I want to make sure I'm not going too crazy writing this thing up. Let me know and I can PM a link to a google doc sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sure, but if it's not "regiment of uppity nobleborn with Baldrick-like comrades get thrown into viscerally horrific survival situations" you're missing a trick

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Sure, sounds fun, hit me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Him me as well!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DeathSandwich posted:

Anyone want to look over a concept document/OP I'm throwing together for a new OW PBP game here? I want to make sure I'm not going too crazy writing this thing up. Let me know and I can PM a link to a google doc sheet.

JUST PM

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so yeah i'm a bit surprised that you want to use elements of the FATAL ruleset with this only war campaign but i guess it sort of makes sense? starting off as dark eldar captives and all

otherwise yeah the custom Slaaneshi rules all seem mechanically sound, if incredibly disturbing

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so yeah i'm a bit surprised that you want to use elements of the FATAL ruleset with this only war campaign but i guess it sort of makes sense? starting off as dark eldar captives and all

otherwise yeah the custom Slaaneshi rules all seem mechanically sound, if incredibly disturbing

It's not ready for the world to see yet, stop spoiling it! :v:

Edit: Only DJF's character will have to roll for anal circumference and nipple length.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 16, 2016

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Well that was some end to a session in Dark Heresy - Psyker accidentally summoned a Daemon Prince, it kidnapped a party member and teleported away, and the party's Sororita left the party because the rest of the party didn't want to let her hit the daemon possessed Psyker (because they realized that hitting the Daemon possessed Psyker would let the Daemon Prince enter the world in its real form), and basically every party member except one was going completely insane near the end of the session. There's a giant "what now" question in the air that has to be answered as a Daemon of tremendous power is loose on the world (and has access to means to keep itself in the real world for quite some time), and the fact that the party lost two members.

At least it was a spectacular intro the campaign for the new player that started this session! At the start of the session his character was IC mocking the rest of the party as failures as Inquisitorial Acolytes (because they weren't exactly subtle, they were bickering constantly, and seemed to be completely incompetent). At the end of the session his character was IC a gibbering wreck that grew scales thanks to some bad luck with mutation rolls, and he had seen first hand just how horrifying enemies the party had faced so far (the session also had a bossfight against a monstrous Lovecraftian Xeno monster). Not that the rest of the party was in much better shape at the end of the session.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

There's a giant "what now" question in the air that has to be answered as a Daemon of tremendous power is loose on the world (and has access to means to keep itself in the real world for quite some time), and the fact that the party lost two members.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Unfortunately the Acolytes are stuck on the planet as the planet's primary villain faction had used Warp magic to cut off the world from the rest of Askellon, making the situation one of those times when you just have to deal with it with no Exterminatus (if they can manage to stop the Daemon from turning the world into a Daemon world, they probably should call in an Exterminatus afterwards tbh).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Unfortunately the Acolytes are stuck on the planet as the planet's primary villain faction had used Warp magic to cut off the world from the rest of Askellon, making the situation one of those times when you just have to deal with it with no Exterminatus (if they can manage to stop the Daemon from turning the world into a Daemon world, they probably should call in an Exterminatus afterwards tbh).

So exterminatus then

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There are degrees of Exterminatus. There's Blow-Up-A-Planet, but there's also Crack-A-Planet-In-Two, Glass-A-Planet, Destroy-All-Life-On-A-Planet, and Volcanoes-Forever.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Do you suppose the Exterminatus techs aim for anything in particular?

"Hey, see that dude there? I'm gonna try to hit him."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

VanSandman posted:

There are degrees of Exterminatus. There's Blow-Up-A-Planet, but there's also Crack-A-Planet-In-Two, Glass-A-Planet, Destroy-All-Life-On-A-Planet, and Volcanoes-Forever.

There is also "strip the atmosphere from the planet" and "throw the planet into the warp"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
My favorite is "virus bomb the planet so it kills so much stuff the bodies give off obscene amounts of methane from their decay, and then ignite that methane to literally burn away the atmosphere. "

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's the kind of Exterminatus I was familiar with, I thought the other kinds were improvised when those specific virus bombs aren't available.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Remove The Planet Entirely, There Was Never A Planet Here, Citizen

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I can't count the number of times my group's solution to a huge problem has been to call an exterminatus on a world we're currently on. Things get a lot simpler when your only objective becomes "find a way off before the bombs get here" and besides if it's bad enough to destroy a world over, it's definitely worth more than your stupid lives.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Remove The Planet Entirely, There Was Never A Planet Here, Citizen
Any claims to the contrary are nothing but xenos propaganda. Have you been listening or otherwise exposed to xenos propaganda? :commissar:

That might even be a decent premise for a DH game: an inquisitorial squad hunting down the last copy of some crappy little "20 Worlds in Segmentum Solar You Need to Make a Pilgrimage to Before You Die"-style pamphlet because it erroneously mentions a planet that does not and never did exist. There's nothing heretical about the pamphlet; it just mentions an unplanet, which is doubleplusungood actually is more than enough heresy to be getting on with if you think about it!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I once had the idea for a planet that the governor had exterminatus paperwork forged on to avoid paying tithe. Then have the players stumble upon it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That would be an amazing base of operations / retirement world for a reclusive, radical inquisitior.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Werix posted:

I once had the idea for a planet that the governor had exterminatus paperwork forged on to avoid paying tithe. Then have the players stumble upon it.

I can imagine nothing that would an inquisitor more turgid

a planet whose exterminatus paperwork has already been done

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

hard counter posted:

I can imagine nothing that would an inquisitor more turgid

a planet whose exterminatus paperwork has already been done

Bonus points if the planet is actually doing great without administratum rule, and the players debate actually turning them in or not.

Or decide to fix the paperwork error Office Space style.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Werix posted:

Bonus points if the planet is actually doing great without administratum rule, and the players debate actually turning them in or not.

Or decide to fix the paperwork error Office Space style.

"Oh hey, this paperwork just had the wrong date on it. The Exterminatus contractors thought it had already been done. Lets just set the date for a week out put it back in the queue.... I love easy solutions, they make me feel like my job really has me doing something for the Imperium."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's nothing more Imperial than facing down teams of assassins in running gun battles while desperately trying to reach the inquisition to tell them about heretical paperwork.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

heretical paperwork

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, paperwork

i mean if you gently caress it up it's heresy, and it's so byzantine that you're gonna gently caress it up

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

For the purpose of any event of dispute between the administratum and requisitioning persons, the adeptus administratum may treat the particular event that actually happened as not having happened and/or treat any particular event that did not actually happen as having happened.

Tias
May 25, 2008

so, paperwork

i mean if you gently caress it up it's heresy, and it's so byzantine that you're gonna gently caress it up

On the plus side you have like 4 assasinorum temples dedicated solely to kill people who notice you hosed it up. Checks and balances, people!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Tias posted:

On the plus side you have like 4 assasinorum temples dedicated solely to kill people who notice you hosed it up. Checks and balances, people!

Yeah, but what happens if you screw up the paperwork for designating an assassination target?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, but what happens if you screw up the paperwork for designating an assassination target?
The punishment for this is...INCREDIBLE DEATH

Tias
May 25, 2008

MadDogMike posted:

Well, I assume it's assasinations all the way down, really. You get killed, they get killed, everyone( sort of) wins.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I know there is an ordos of the inquisition specifically tasked with monitoring the assassin temples ever since the age of strife or whatever when that church leader used them to seize control.

That could be a fun dark heresy game playing those folks. Hunting down rogue assassins, trying to protect targets who are being wrongfully targeted, trying to track down an errant eversor deployment pod in an old war zone before someone opens it and the eversor pulps the hive population.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I feel like there would be a high character turnover rate in that game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Especially since they're the ones who'll be handed the 'Eversor has a halo device' case to sort out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MaliciousOnion posted:

what ordo or sub-ordo doesn't have a high turnover rate anyway?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I guess that one ordo with just one guy in it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

I guess that one ordo with just one guy in it.

Is it always the same guy? :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tias posted:

Is it always the same guy? :colbert:

Just Bruce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo