Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

Where can I load up on redanian herbal so I can make all the goddamn white gull I need for everything

Merchant near the drawbridge in Crow's Perch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lawnie posted:

My favorite thing about that scene is that it actually shows some decent cinematography. The wide angle shot with Geralt in the door, the close up of his slow footsteps, and the perspective shot in that gif are all excellent.

I really would love to know who managed the cutscenes. The Witcher is one of the few games I've seen that knew how to artistically frame a shot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jerusalem posted:

"Who taught you to fight like this?"
"The Witcher you slew! :flame:"

:hellyeah:

AAAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

MY HELM! MY HELM IS RED HOT! GERALT YOU RAT! YOU WEREN'T USING THE IGNI TO REMOVE MY FROST ARMOUR! YOU WERE HEATING MY HELM UP TO GIVE ME THE OL SPICY HELMET!

HOW COULD YOU GIVE YOUR OWN NEMESIS THE SPICY HELMET GERALT?!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jim truds posted:

I really would love to know who managed the cutscenes. The Witcher is one of the few games I've seen that knew how to artistically frame a shot.

I think most games frame shots primarily not to overload consoles with too much stuff. It's hard to get a decent cinematographic scene when your FOV is like 60 degrees.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SirSamVimes posted:

AAAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

MY HELM! MY HELM IS RED HOT! GERALT YOU RAT! YOU WEREN'T USING THE IGNI TO REMOVE MY FROST ARMOUR! YOU WERE HEATING MY HELM UP TO GIVE ME THE OL SPICY HELMET!

I will never, never, never get tired of these :allears:

I'm not being sarcastic, I seriously laugh my rear end off every time :)

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SirSamVimes posted:

AAAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

I'm picturing Geralt drawn in that style with that ugly-rear end poo poo-eating grin, and I'm having trouble keeping the giggles down.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Gwent is up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Monsters are actually viable now.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
monsters are great

How's the server test?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Northern Realms isn't so good against Monster, when (not if) I get frost on my melee guys I'm hosed as there is no clear weather ability?

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Nap Ghost

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

How's the server test?

I ain't seeing any crashed servers yet, disappointed!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

monsters are great

How's the server test?

I cant enter the game, GOG crashes and when i find an opponent the games load forever.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Nap Ghost
Haha had the best first draw with an Operator -> Operator -> Eskel -> Vesemir + Lambert combo.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I keep getting crashes, mostly on redrawing cards. I actually got to play 2 cards before it crashed last time!

I think I'll pass on this round, hopefully it's a little more stable for the next window.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Megazver posted:

Monsters are actually viable now.
More than that

Rolling Scissors posted:

Northern Realms isn't so good against Monster, when (not if) I get frost on my melee guys I'm hosed as there is no clear weather ability?
Yeah. I mean, it's not a balance test, but I have no idea why the two pre-made decks we get to choose from are one monster deck with a bunch of frost / frost resistance abilities, and one NR deck without any clear weather cards.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So the guy I was just playing against cloned Nenneke(silver card) with Foltest's ability (clone bronze).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
If those are the starter decks they were using in a previous test, yeah, in my personal opinion the starter monster deck is really strong.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Well, this happened...

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

This little quest line in the bank to retrieve your account by signing all of these forms is loving hilarious

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So what is the exact order to save anna and the kids?

I've only read the book ladies in the woods. I'm looking for the tree now, haven't talked to the orphans lady yet at all. What do I do from here? I heard if I just straight up save the tree now it won't save the orphans first?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

So what is the exact order to save anna and the kids?

I've only read the book ladies in the woods. I'm looking for the tree now, haven't talked to the orphans lady yet at all. What do I do from here? I heard if I just straight up save the tree now it won't save the orphans first?

Is this your first playthrough? If so I'd recommend not looking at too many spoilers, as a general rule everything turns out lovely in the Witcher world.

IIRC here are the three possible outcomes:
1. Side with the crones, kill the tree spirit. Orphans get eaten, Anna is insane but otherwise whole and the Baron takes her away to try and heal her.
2. Side with the tree spirit, free it. The tree spirit frees the orphans and kills a bunch of the villagers in Downwarren, this pisses off the Crones so they turn Anna into a water hag. The Baron commits suicide.
3. Sequence-break and free the tree spirit before talking to the crones. Since the crones haven't tasked you to kill it yet, they're not mad and don't curse Anna. Ending is basically the same as #1 except the orphans survive.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Is this your first playthrough? If so I'd recommend not looking at too many spoilers, as a general rule everything turns out lovely in the Witcher world.

IIRC here are the three possible outcomes:
1. Side with the crones, kill the tree spirit. Orphans get eaten, Anna is insane but otherwise whole and the Baron takes her away to try and heal her.
2. Side with the tree spirit, free it. The tree spirit frees the orphans and kills a bunch of the villagers in Downwarren, this pisses off the Crones so they turn Anna into a water hag. The Baron commits suicide.
3. Sequence-break and free the tree spirit before talking to the crones. Since the crones haven't tasked you to kill it yet, they're not mad and don't curse Anna. Ending is basically the same as #1 except the orphans survive.

whoah, what?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

whoah, what?

Whoah at what part? There are two "normal" endings to the Baron/Crones storyline, if you free the tree spirit before talking to the Crones there's a third slightly different ending for sequence-breaking. I mean, it's not really sequence breaking, but a first-time player is unlikely to stumble on the Whispering Hillock before talking to the Crones.

W3 is really good about allowing you to do things in most any order and dialogue will acknowledge it.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So where do I find the hillock? And sorry for not spoilering a GOTY game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

So where do I find the hillock? And sorry for not spoilering a GOTY game.

I was more suggesting you shouldn't spoil yourself on story/plot points on your first playthrough, just my personal feelings. You're not going to miss out on any cool items or content based on your choices and the storytelling is so good.

Anyway, the Hillock is south/southeast along the road out of Downwarren, there is a fast travel waypoint called "Ancient Oak" nearby. There is a good online map for W3 here: https://witcher3map.com/

This should center you on where the Hillock is https://witcher3map.com/v/#4/-69.93/53.31

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think there's a very specific order you have to do it to save the kids and the Baron, because I just freed the tree first without ever going to Anna or meeting the kids, so the tree never offered to save the orphans and they never showed up in that mention in Novigrad.

I think you do have to meet the kids but then immediately leave and find the tree but it's been a while.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xarbala posted:

I think there's a very specific order you have to do it to save the kids and the Baron, because I just freed the tree first without ever going to Anna or meeting the kids, so the tree never offered to save the orphans and they never showed up in that mention in Novigrad.

I think you do have to meet the kids but then immediately leave and find the tree but it's been a while.

The wiki has this to say:

If the player releases the spirit before consulting the Ealdorman in the Ladies of the Wood quest the game will have an odd consequence in the Return to Crookback Bog quest. The village of Downwarren will be attacked but Anna will not be turned into a sea hag. Additionally a dialogue element will give the impression that the orphans have been saved, this turns out not to be true as there is no reference to the orphans' survival later in Novigrad as there normally is when they are saved. If the spirit is killed before consulting the Ealdorman the normal spirit dies consequence occurs.

So I guess with the sequence-breaking option it's ambiguous as to whether the orphans survive.

edit: I thought I remembered someone in this threading getting the note in Novigrad that the orphans had survived with that path, dunno.

I wouldn't stress about it too much, it's a small difference in the quest outcome and doesn't affect anything else in the game world. There aren't many "good" endings for quests, mostly just different flavors of terrible.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 24, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you want to look for the Hillock, just look for the scariest loving tree in southest Velen. It dominates the skyline. Also, Geralt has unique dialogue if you just encounter the spirit while wandering.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you want to look for the Hillock, just look for the scariest loving tree in southest Velen. It dominates the skyline. Also, Geralt has unique dialogue if you just encounter the spirit while wandering.
No, that's an entirely different tree (unfortunately).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ROFLburger posted:

This little quest line in the bank to retrieve your account by signing all of these forms is loving hilarious

It owns. The whole quest is also a big shoutout to The Twelve Tasks of Asterix.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just hit 14, the level for the Wolf Gear scavenger hunt, and was looking forward to going and getting me some, but it wants me to go to Kaer Morhen? I can't? What gives?

Do I just make Griffin instead? Hold out till 17 for Cat?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 24, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

MikeJF posted:

I just hit 14, the level for the Wolf Gear scavenger hunt, and was looking forward to going and getting me some, but it wants me to go to Kaer Morhen? I can't? What gives?

Yeah, this one of the things that aggravated me about the game. By the time you can actually get to Kaer Morhen, you're going to be far beyond 14. If you use signs a lot, Griffin is good. If you mostly do swordplay, Cat is the best. For alchemy, you want Wolf. Bear is what you'd use if you basically want to be a walking tank with poor stamina recently, but really powerful strong attacks.

Go ahead and make Griffin, though. It's going to be better than anything else you can find at that level.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MikeJF posted:

Kaer Morhen is behind story progression. There's no real reason not to make all the witcher gear, or just have fun playing the game in clown costumes and sweet as gently caress non-witcher armors.

e:fb

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, by the time I got to Kaer Morhen I had pretty much collected all the other diagrams and was fully vested in the coolest looking armor, Bear armour.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wear a doublet at all times, see if the game acknowledges this whenever you're told to wear formal clothing

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wear a doublet at all times, see if the game acknowledges this whenever you're told to wear formal clothing

Don't you have to wear the pants and shoes as well for it to count?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably, but i hope this means you can wear enormous armoured gloves at all times

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The Wolf Gear got added in a free DLC well after release, and for whatever reason the base Wolf set won't actually be available until you can access Kaer Morhen which is gated by a lot of main story stuff. You'll probably be in your low level 20s by the time you're able to travel to KM, so wear something else in the meantime.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Wolf gear looks the best so it should always be your ultimate goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Latest patch on PS4 fixed the long loading screens in Novigrad but Vivaldi still has no forearms.