Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Rumor on the official forums are saying there's a character wipe happening right now and that it's going to be the final wipe! ie; the game's pretty much released now :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Correct, servers just went down, should be back up within an hour, and all cosmetics purchases and earned advancements are final from today out.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
So, it turns out that this game might not be complete garbo? Sweet, time to wait for a steam sale then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like it, if you have some specific questions or want me to dance with it for your amusement you can always add me on Steam.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I had this gifted to me awhile ago and haven't played it in months. Is it worth reinstalling now or no?

Orv
May 4, 2011
:shrug:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

I had this gifted to me awhile ago and haven't played it in months. Is it worth reinstalling now or no?

It was supposed to be an MMO or something but it's a crappy team shooter of some sort?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

This comes out tomorrow. Despite everything, it has ended up a perfectly okay third person lobby shooter with a very solid Warhammer skin. Is that worth you $60? You know the drill, watch some insufferable child stream it for a couple hours and do some research, but even as someone who has enjoyed it and will continue to play it, I'd probably put in more in the $35-40 range right now.

Orv posted:

Received keys are no longer in their own ghetto of actually being shown but they still don't count towards the scores.

So yes, people who have bought the game recently (or reviewed it I guess since that's weird for EA games) are by and large happy with it.

Orv posted:

I like it, if you have some specific questions or want me to dance with it for your amusement you can always add me on Steam.

I said I'd make a new thread if it turned out not garbage but I can't be assed.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Ratzap posted:

It was supposed to be an MMO or something but it's a crappy team shooter of some sort?

Old guy promised a bunch of poo poo hinging on some "1000 player battles" tech that turned out to be poo poo, so he quit to make mobile games in ukraine.

New guy Nathan Richardsson (worked at CCP, the EVE studio, for like 8 years working on both EVE and that cancelled world of darkness MMO) said "poo poo ain't possible at the time, we'll start with a solid shooter and work from there" and offered unilateral refunds to anyone who wanted them as long as they requested them before the alpha started, and made sure they sent out emails and talked about the changes to the game heavily. Game has gone from like 15v15, to 20v20, to 30v30, then 40v40 and 50v50 but it turns out the game will crash instantly if you go above 32v32 and look at the scoreboard, so they're waiting to work out the kinks so back to 32v32 for now.

New game is solid but still needs more polish, but since their extended business model is "free mini-expansion every three months" with new hats for money, they won't just say "gently caress it" and bail on the game. Especially since it's not out on consoles yet.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Please email me when they release the Nemesis Dreadknight DLC for $29.99 so I can roleplay as the literal worst piece of garbage ever to come out of Games Workshop, god bless!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Meh i bought it because i figured its going to be fun eventually and i'm totally addicted to horrible 40k stuff. Someone should make a guild so we can kill some nids together since that looks awesome.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

rear end-Haggis posted:

Please email me when they release the Nemesis Dreadknight DLC for $29.99 so I can roleplay as the literal worst piece of garbage ever to come out of Games Workshop, god bless!

Whats wrong with a giant robot for your spess marine? That seems cool to me.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So this is......kinda fun now.

Less janky but still a bit janky for my liking. Got used to the bolter over the course of few matches and I like it. Melee is still all kinds of warpy bullshit where one lagging assault can kill 5 dudes trying to hit him because the server has no loving idea where he actually is.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Stanley Pain posted:

So this is......kinda fun now.

Less janky but still a bit janky for my liking. Got used to the bolter over the course of few matches and I like it. Melee is still all kinds of warpy bullshit where one lagging assault can kill 5 dudes trying to hit him because the server has no loving idea where he actually is.

I picked this up because my friends are apparently wealthy as all hell and buy every new garbage early access game in existence, and I want them to like me. So far it is most similar to battlefront, but 40k skinned. The melee game gives it depth, however you very rarely get the opportunity to explore that depth. I think I've had like 2 good duels where we didn't get interrupted by a quadcannon blowing the gently caress out of someone. That's OK though, you shouldn't really get to have a melee duel in the middle of a battlefield I suppose. I played to rank 5 pre-patch eldar (now rank 4 or are they wiping?), but didn't realize there was melee lock-on and a parry key until like the last 2 matches. Now I can do that awesome stunning that kept happening to me and making me think I was just terrible.

Overall it's fun, and that means I will continue to play it, and then sometime soon they will patch away all the fun. Until then though I'm actually happy to play this for a bit. Like Battlefield or other squad-based shooters, it's wayyy better if you are on voice with a group and can get together in game. I've seen squads of 5-6 coordinated members absolutely lay waste to an entire team.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

This game is really bad, super unintuitive, laggy as gently caress as in you can't cancel actions. SM's might as well be guards because you can't reload and sprint, your armor is paper orks will kill you in half a second.

Getting my refund haha.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Arghy posted:

This game is really bad, super unintuitive, laggy as gently caress as in you can't cancel actions. SM's might as well be guards because you can't reload and sprint, your armor is paper orks will kill you in half a second.

Getting my refund haha.

Nice to see Arghy is continuing to have wrong opinions about everything.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Counter point i was an ardent defender of darkfall and still play planetside 2.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I unno if its just me, but the game feels super twitchy with like zero time to kill. I don't like the melee system much either. :shrug:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
This game is full of jank, but i kinda dont care. Its too much fun playing Orks and throwing dakka downfield. Might try space marines again someday but for now Waagh is where im sitting.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i don't know what kind of upgrades there are but when i land behind 3 orks and start swinging to no effect and 1 of them turns and 1 shots me that system can go get hosed. Apparently all weapons also exist in a state of constant inaccuracy unless your shooting from a corner away from everyone. I don't know how many times i've loving stared at a wall trying to reload because apparently my SM has ADHD and needs to focus his fat loving fingers to reload a bolter.

Like i could understand if i was playing as an IG and i just get insta gibbed constantly but as a loving SM?? isn't the whole point i'm supposed to storm in under fire not go down instantly? I couldn't even go inside a doorway covered by a single shoota at a good distance.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The melee system is hard to learn but if you do it's very rewarding.

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006
is parry defaulted to a key or do you have to set it?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Is it time to move from the mmo gettho and into games? Someone could get the wrong impression and think the failed 40K MMO streak is broken.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Buschmaki posted:

The melee system is hard to learn but if you do it's very rewarding.

Please teach me because it's not intuitive as gently caress.

So I played a bit of Chaos, SM, Ork and Eldar over the course of 4 hours (lol no refund). Like I mentioned before the jank is still pretty lovely at times (hitting someone from behind only to have them "1 shot you" , trying to hit people in a melee cluster gently caress, etc) but a whole LOT less than it was before. The UI while not the greatest thing in the world is also a lot better now.

The other thing is that Eldar are straight up OP across the board. Smaller hit boxes, fast movement, faster firing weapons, better melee feel, blah blah blah. Probably going to play them until they get hit with a nerf stick because it makes everything else unfun to play with. The smaller hit box is kinda hilarious. The amount of times I've stood out in the open laying down fire with people unable to hit me because the bullet spread was wider than my character is pretty funny.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Everyone needs more health in this game. Like some other dude said, you can't have a melee fight without dying in two seconds and everyone gets mowed down too quickly. Paper armour 40k isn't fun.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Please teach me because it's not intuitive as gently caress.

It's a big rock paper scissors game.

• Quick attack > Power attack
    It's quick. Moves you fast if you spam.
  • Power attack > parrying blow
    half as slow as quick attack, but +20%ish damage.
  • Parrying blow > Quick attack
    No (or very little) damage, but STUNS target. Traps you in animation. Moves you an inch when finally done.

There are other rules, like when you both do the same attack on each other your weapons will clang, which reduces durability on your weapons or whatever. You don't really need to know any of that though. All you need to know is that it's better to clang with big, heavy weapons.

Tips:
Right now there's a bug with some space marine classes that lets them dodge out of stuns, which means they can just spam the everliving gently caress out of quick attacks and nope behind you if you manage to stun them. If you're space marine or any class that can roll out of stuns, spam quick attack and roll when you get stunned for easy wins.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also power attacks from behind do crazy damage.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Buschmaki posted:

Also power attacks from behind do crazy damage.

There's a directional damage model? Neat, then the words "power fisting" get a new meaning for me.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also if you hold down ctrl you get a straight-up Dark Souls style lockon that lets you halfcircle roll around people, I don't think the gane explains this anywhere. I also think being able to roll after stun is intended, otherwise melee fights would end at the first stun and a lot of melee unlocks just give you more rolls.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It's officially out of early access 2,160 people in game right now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/375230/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So game is good? Fifty bucks is a pretty heavy price, good reviews and 40k or not.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So game is good? Fifty bucks is a pretty heavy price, good reviews and 40k or not.

$32? Sure. $50? I wouldn't pay that.
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/warhammer-40000-eternal-crusade-pc-steam-cd-key

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Why didn't they got a F2p model with a membership thing like all the other successful alpha release games? If it was pay $40 for all those bonuses and 3 months of membership and it was F2p afterwards i would have not gotten a refund. The high price will throttle the game to death.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Arghy posted:

Why didn't they got a F2p model with a membership thing like all the other successful alpha release games? If it was pay $40 for all those bonuses and 3 months of membership and it was F2p afterwards i would have not gotten a refund. The high price will throttle the game to death.

Yeah man they could have made like f2p be orks who are a bit weaker but make up for it in numbers of f2p users.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There's not enough content right now for a f2p model to make sense, it wouldn't surprise me if they switch it if they're still alive after a few expansions.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

randombattle posted:

Yeah man they could have made like f2p be orks who are a bit weaker but make up for it in numbers of f2p users.

That was what they were going to do, but it's a stupid idea. Nobody wants to play underpowered guys. And having all the F2P players stacked on one side would lead to unbelievably bad queue times for orks.

Anyway, F2P users don't matter much because it's a lobby shooter. There will always be enough people to populate a game via the matchmaker. They don't need a lot of people to sustain big fights like PS2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bought this because :orks101:, it certainly looks like it has potential. There's a half decent Twitch following right now, at least, so maybe it will gain at least some traction.

Is there a goon guild? What race should I be joining to get in, if so?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm just watching it for a bit at https://www.twitch.tv/zoranthebear, seems fun, but I'm totally waiting for a sale on this.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

randombattle posted:

Seems they went with the weaker Orks side of it, because holy gently caress every game I've played as Orks we've lost, and not closely either.

Lassitude posted:

That was what they were going to do, but it's a stupid idea. Nobody wants to play underpowered guys.

It would be doable to have underpowered guys if they gave them much lower respawn times. Orks are the Green Tide after all :orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It might be viable from a balance standpoint but it'd be a lovely experience to be an ork boy fighting space marines you're significantly disadvantaged against 1v1. I'm glad they shitcanned that idea, although now we have ork boyz beating up space marines instead of nobs like the original intent, so it's not perfect this way, either.

• Locked thread