Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

3Romeo posted:

Naw she punched out last year. Which isn't bad, since she was ancient in Robin Hood and that was 25 years ago

I figured. She really would be perfect especially for how she was described in the latter parts of Wizard & Glass. The patchy hair and everything, when I read the books she's what I had in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
It's cool that you guys are talking about 11/22/63 just now, since I finished it two weeks ago.

I really liked it.

My one complaint, which is a minor one, is that he didn't need to throw in the unraveling aspect of the world, with it's external-style-evil of the earthquakes and whatever. He could just as easily have had it be a significantly shittier future than the "original" one, and that would have been enough. It was annoying to me that he's having the world end when all the non-world-endy stuff is way more believable and compelling. Thinking that by averting a tragedy, you end up allowing dozens of other, worse tragedies to occur would have been better on its own.

It's the one of the few King endings where I didn't feel he wrote himself into a corner and had to deus ex machina to resolve things, though. Pretty sweet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I guess it would depend on who they got to play young Roland and Susan.

Michael B. Jordan for young Roland. Let's do this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Michael B. Jordan for young Roland. Let's do this.

I could see that, if they are trying to be consistent with the movie version and not just as a standalone thing. Only downside is it would reignite the "why is he black" racist whining all over again, particularly if they make Susan white.

Alternative idea: Jaden Smith.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

dirksteadfast posted:

Finally got around to reading Just After Sunset after having it for years. Only managed to get through 5 of the shorter stories in there so far, but man...for a collection that is introduced with King talking about keeping the short story muscle alive in his brain, he certainly seems to be struggling on some of these.

"N" is one of his scariest stories and one that I reread often.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Murphy Brownback posted:

Alternative idea: Jaden Smith.

No.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

Could be great, probably will be mediocre at best. Since TV series tend to try to assume no prior knowledge of the source material I can see them toning down the parts that made it a Dark Tower book and we'd get a standard western love story. I guess it would depend on who they got to play young Roland and Susan. Is that lady who played the witch in the Robin Hood movie with Kevin Costner still around? She'd make the perfect Rhea.

Well it's supposed to come out after the movie and actually have the bookend stuff with Idris Elba so it would be a safe assumption that the people watching it would have seen the movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

syscall girl posted:

I liked Joyland pretty well. Because of the cover I was expecting hardboiled detective fiction but it had some spooky stuff too.

I like the touch that it's essentially a ghost story but the main character never sees the ghost.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

navyjack posted:

Why did he think naming a book this was a good idea?
What drugs were his editors and publisher on that they let him?

How do you go about finding out about or purchasing this novel electronically?

I write software, and when someone names a variable 'i' for any reason besides a 6 line example, we kick their rear end so fast for the same reason. Searching for this is impossible.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's a short story in Just After Sunset. Calm the hell down.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Blasphemeral posted:

Why did he think naming a book this was a good idea?
What drugs were his editors and publisher on that they let him?

How do you go about finding out about or purchasing this novel electronically?

I write software, and when someone names a variable 'i' for any reason besides a 6 line example, we kick their rear end so fast for the same reason. Searching for this is impossible.

How do you handle trying to look up "IT"?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

On what planet?

I'm reminded of the old days when people who didn't read talked about how gory and gross King's video adaptations were. I'd tell them that whatever they saw on the screen was nothing compared to what was on the page and in your mind's eye. You think a block of wood and a sledgehammer is bad? How about a block of wood, a bottle of iodine, a butane torch and a hatchet? Misery the film stands out as one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King novel, sure. No way in hell it overshadows this book. Not a chance.

In my re-read (my first) I'm just getting well into it and holy poo poo it's far better than I had remembered. The prose is absolutely astounding, and the dread is building beautifully (horrifically). If it weren't for a few verbal ticks I might not even realize that this was King. (So vivid!) The opening and developing theme of the tide, the moon, and the pilings is brilliant. I'm actually dreading reading the rest myself because I remember what Paul has to go through (and lose) to emerge at the end.

E: Maybe I just don't get what you mean by "overshadows."

most people know it as a movie first and kathy bates is amazing in the movie.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

How do you handle trying to look up "IT"?

I don't know, but it works.

Serously, 'i' followed by 't' is a much, much less common occurrence than the sixth most common letter in English by itself.

Don't believe me? When I went to Amazon.com, typed in two searches. Check the attached screencaps.

It wasn't until I specified books that "Steven King's N" even showed up on the first page, and even then it was the graphic novel, not the collection that contained the novella.

[EDIT] Ack, my attachment got screwed up. Sec...

... Ok, how do I change my attachment?

Well, in any case, IT's entire search page was correct.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Serously, 'i' followed by 't' is a much, much less common occurrence than the sixth most common letter in English by itself.

Don't believe me? When I went to Amazon.com, typed in two searches. Check the attached screencaps.

It wasn't until I specified books that "Steven King's N" even showed up on the first page, and even then it was the graphic novel, not the collection that contained the novella.

I believe you.

Boy, do I ever.

I can tell this is really bugging you. I guess write a letter to King and ask him to not do that anymore?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Go back in time and get a headache trying to stop him from naming it "N".

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I get the complaint that searching for a story within a collection doesn't always return results that include that collection, but it's a bit ridiculous to complain that your search for the letter N did not return what you wanted.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

N

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There. Now I'm gonna search the forums for my post.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Blasphemeral posted:

Searching for this is impossible.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

navyjack posted:

Same! It's fantastic.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Blasphemeral posted:

So, you write software?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

navyjack posted:

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't ever going to give up on the collection entirely, but now ill at least be a bit more excited going back into it.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I've read most of Just After Sunset, but I somehow managed to skip over N. Went back and read it last night. I liked it a lot. Nice Lovecraftian vibe. But, man, it reminded me so much of an episode from a crappy early '00s horror anthology series called Night Visions. The episode was called "Patterns" and the plot was reeeally similar:

A man (Malcolm McDowell) suffers from an extreme form of obsessive compulsive disorder. He is brought in to see a psychiatrist. He explains that his daily rituals have completely taken over his life, ruining his career and tearing his family apart. He wants to stop, but he can’t because he believes that if he does the entire world will literally fall apart. In the end it turns out to be true, and the burden of performing these constant daily rituals gets passed on to the psychiatrist.

Vastarien fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 24, 2016

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Stephen has gotten better with age, but man some of his works just have major problems

11/22/63
Pro : Time travel without cheese or hokey awfulness, clever pacing tricks to lull you in
Con : that ending with the collapsing parallel universes

Under The Dome :
Pro : clever concept, well-researched non-fiction elements
Con : aliens did it, we saved the day by the power of love or w/e

Doctor Sleep
Pro : Danny Torrence is a great tragic character, psychic vampires
Con : unnecessary sequel, might have worked better as a stand-alone

Dark Tower
Pro : single greatest meta-fiction he's done.
Con : awful self-insert and references to Star Wars and Harry Potter as part of this meta-verse

IT
Pro : seriously creepy, great characters
Con : underage gangbang

and so on. Still a great literary force with a large readership who is constantly reinventing and trying new things.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

darth_pizza posted:

Doctor Sleep
Pro : Danny Torrence is a great tragic character, psychic vampires

Hmmm. You've given me a bit to think about there. I'll get back to you.

Content: I am only posting in this thread because I am avoiding the 970 unread posts in the David Foster Wallace thread. I know they are all smart, witty, wry and full fibre but, man, 970..... and that's not counting the footnotes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I typed 'Stephen King N' into Amazon and it was the first result so whatever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So what was the original ending of Hex?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Phanatic posted:

So what was the original ending of Hex?

I mentioned it earlier in the thread somewhere. It's essentially the same ending. This is a comment I found from a Dutch reader:

But skipping to the end of the ending: it turns into an orgy of torture like an Hieronymus Bosch painting of Hell. This is, of course, imagery we are all more or less familiar with over here, since the guy was Dutch and we all learned about him in school. Nice echo of the 'just a village like all those you know so well'-horror trope.

The dad is led through all these horrors and recognizes each of them as a mirror image of things the villagers did to the witch (I thought this was a bit far fetched at times, your mileage may vary). In the end, he realises that he must choose the thing he loves most. He runs between dozens of pot holes filled with people while it rains burning coals, carrying a single pot hole cover, finds wife + youngest son but jumps in the seemingly empty hole next to them, because we've know which son he would choose since chapter two or so.

He then wakes up in his own house to someone thumping the front door, and doesn't open it, because he knows that even if it is the person he wants it to be, it wouldn't end well.

And then the author apologizes for throwing us into a pit of despair.

I'm assuming the fate of one character in particular may have been cleared up in the original version, but it seems that maybe a lot of the imagery used might've only made sense to Dutch/European readers so it was nixed in favour of the Church ending we got.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with Under the Dome is that everything takes place in about a week and too much of the tension is ramped up artificially because of a couple of rear end in a top hat characters who are just caricatures.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm about 50 pages into Misery and I'm loving it already. I've never seen the movie either so I'm looking forward to watching it after my read.

otown liquiddreams
Sep 27, 2016

by zen death robot

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I've been a big Stephen King fan for a long time but about a month ago I decided to take the plunge and start in on Dark Tower. Book 1 was OK, and a good character study, but storywise it didn't do too much for me. I took a break and read something unrelated in between and now I'm about halfway through book 2 and I'm waaaaaay into it. I know (vaguely, from reading this thread) about all the weird meta stuff I'm in for, but I've been told that there are a few Stephen King books I should read before I get too deep into the DT series so I'm looking for recommendations to that end.

Short version: Which of his other books will be most likely to enrich my dark tower experience?

e:

RCarr posted:

I'm about 50 pages into Misery and I'm loving it already. I've never seen the movie either so I'm looking forward to watching it after my read.

That movie is easily the most straightforward, no loving around with the source material feature film adaptation of any of his work. Kathy Bates and James Caan are both loving blowaway awesome. I haven't read the book on almost twenty years so I may have to cram that into my SK binge too.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 28, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Only ever read his short stories and novellas and most of them were as a kid. Browsing the meagre horror/sci-fi shelf in the local WHSmiths here and saw IT and decided to take the plunge. Got a few more on my list thanks to this thread too, so cheers, Book Barn. xx

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

darth_pizza posted:

IT
Pro : seriously creepy, great characters
Con : underage gangbang

You could be talking about 16 year olds and it would still be really weird, but 11 year olds.... What was King thinking as he was writing that? Was he putting himself into the mind of his characters and thinking of it from their perspective imagining himself in a 11 year old gangbang?

It wasn't even a short thing. It went on for pages and pages.

Still his best book though.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Karmine posted:

Short version: Which of his other books will be most likely to enrich my dark tower experience?

This is off the top of my head, so I may be missing some (and I'm sure you've already read a number of these), but the major ones - which introduce some characters and settings - are: The Stand, Salem's Lot, The Talisman/Black House (Black House more), Insomnia, Low Men in Yellow Coats (in Hearts in Atlantis), and The Little Sisters of Eluria and Everything's Eventual (in Everything's Eventual).

A lot of his other works have references to the DT mythos, but they're often just little nods. I'm probably missing a few.

VVVV Guess I wasn't far off the mark!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Karmine posted:

'Salem's Lot, to get more backstory on Father Callahan
The short story "The Little Sisters of Eluria" which is explicitly a Dark Tower story (it's about a young Roland soon after he starts his journey), but you'll have to track it down in in Everything's Eventual
The novella "Low Men in Yellow Coats" which, again, is explicitly a DT story collected in Hearts in Atlantis
The Talisman and Black House - the former is a better book, but the latter is a much more direct tie-in to the Dark Tower

Those are the ones I'd say would enrich your reading experience. Some people will recommend Insomnia, which is also a very direct tie-in novel, but I didn't read it prior to finishing the DT series and I don't feel I missed anything, even after going back and reading it. A number of his other books have minor connections to the Dark Tower, such as The Stand and IT, but, again, they are not even remotely necessary to enjoying the DT. Likewise, a lot of his short stories can be argued to have connections to the DT, but are not necessary (though you should probably read them, as King is a much better writer when constrained by the limits of a short story or novella).

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Thanks everyone! I skipped Little Sisters of Eluria when I went through Everything's Eventual because I knew it was a dark tower thing and I'd be totally lost. I'll have to check that one out soon enough.

But I think once I finish DT2 I'm gonna (finally) read 'Salem's Lot.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Insomnia is only really important to the final DT book. There are a couple characters who we meet in Insomnia that end up being a big deal, but for the most part the book just introduces some concepts that seem really cool (IMO) but are never ever addressed in any other DT book.

I personally liked it, but I think you can get away without Insomnia.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Inspector 34 posted:

I personally liked it, but I think you can get away without Insomnia.

Good point. IIRC, King retcons the living poo poo out of it by (tagged to be polite to Karmine) having the Tet Corporation say it's his subconscious talking gibberish, even though it introduces - poo poo, announces - Patrick Danville as the deus ex machina.

King is my favorite author for a lot of reasons, but his approach to continuity is a such a hot mess it might as well be goddamned planned parenthood dumpster fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When would be a good point to read Little Sisters of Eluria? I'm in the middle of The Drawing of the Three.

I feel like a jackass because I bought the first two books in Viking hardcover a few years back, and then the prices on books 3&4 in the same format shot up to ridiculous levels. My books have to look right, maaaaan.