Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was just in Sol the other day. Got a shitton of arsenic on Europa, too. Cool system all in all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I did a few Robigo runs and made a few million.

When I blow up a ship, it drops a bunch of components. What are they? Worth picking up?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

H13 posted:

When I blow up a ship, it drops a bunch of components. What are they? Worth picking up?

Engineering mats. If you're gonna mod your ship up with engineers you're gonna need a bunch of those various components.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Natsuumi posted:

Engineering mats. If you're gonna mod your ship up with engineers you're gonna need a bunch of those various components.

That just sounds really tiring and painful...

Unless 1 component is all I would need?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

That just sounds really tiring and painful...

Unless 1 component is all I would need?

Nope, you generally need multiples and what drops is generally random.

I keep a limpet controller and a handful of limpets on board to grab destroyed ship mats if I think I need them just to ease the pain of gathering all of that material.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

LCL-Dead posted:

Nope, you generally need multiples and what drops is generally random.

I keep a limpet controller and a handful of limpets on board to grab destroyed ship mats if I think I need them just to ease the pain of gathering all of that material.

Do they take up cargo space? Or can I store them in some sort of limbo in case I find an engineer?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

H13 posted:

Do they take up cargo space? Or can I store them in some sort of limbo in case I find an engineer?

They have their own special storage (you can't lose those mats and they don't count against your ship's cargo capacity), but for rank 2+ mods you also need engineering-specific commodities which do take cargo space, which is a huge pain because a) some are only gained as mission rewards and b) you can't store them away in some station so you will have to carry them around until you use them, or farm them if you want a specific upgrade. It's a pretty moronic system and I don't even want to know how it was before it got improved...

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
.. storing them in your ship (the 2+ stuff needed) will also increase your rate of interdiction.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

H13 posted:

The engineering materials ("Micromaterials") have their own storage which persists through ship destruction. Each micromaterial you cargo scoop gives 3 of that item.

EDIT: Beaten

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've never done anything related to engineers but they sound like the worst kind of grind, goddamn.

This game would be a lot better with player economy so we could buy materials off farmers, but then the in game economy would need to be balanced and sensible, and, well.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Besides sothis runs that I really don't feel like doing, is the best moneymaking still hunting in a high res?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Doing an active community goal.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I've never done anything related to engineers but they sound like the worst kind of grind, goddamn.

This game would be a lot better with player economy so we could buy materials off farmers, but then the in game economy would need to be balanced and sensible, and, well.

It's only bad if you focus it. It's not so bad if you do it as a side thing. For example, grinding imperial rank and fighting&looting the pirates will get you all the loot you could want for engineers and so on.

On the other hand if you basically go "I need modular terminals and will now do nothing but fly from station to station looking for them" - you'll go insane.

I'm not saying Engineers aren't poorly implemented - they are awful.

My biggest issue with Engineers isn't the grind at all - it's the commodities that I cannot buy and cannot store anywhere and that will make you get interdicted every other system because you have 4 engineer modules in your cargo bay. That is serious the worst pita aspect of the whole thing.

Zest
May 7, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The engineer grind was far worse on 2.1 release. Micromats weren't buffed (used to get 1 micromat for 1 scoop, now it's 3 to 1 scoop), the recipes used much rarer mats, and more. FSD G5 required 3 polonium, which is godawfully rare.

A player economy would be a sensible idea, but it would be "too close to EvE", or so I've hear third-hand from Brown Sea refugees.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Engineering-related cargo has seriously been making me consider getting a second account just to store the cargo off of my main account. Having to keep extra cargo bays on my vulture just so I can swap ships, but not lose cargo I'm holding until I get to the point of visiting an Engineer to make something is maddening.

Zest
May 7, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

My biggest issue with Engineers isn't the grind at all - it's the commodities that I cannot buy and cannot store anywhere and that will make you get interdicted every other system because you have 4 engineer modules in your cargo bay. That is serious the worst pita aspect of the whole thing.

I still wonder how a game involving trading was released in this decade without a warehouse inventory. :frontear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

General Battuta posted:

Just to jump on the :bandwagon: , Elite only gets grindy and terrible if you let it. For instance, when my new modem shows up I am going to grind Sothis and just Sothis for cash so I can bankroll an endgame ship with minimal time investment. I would not normally recommend this style of play, because it exacerbates the "mile wide, inch deep" phenomenon.

In general, I try to have a handful of goals to work on simultaneously so that I never burn out on one game mechanic/playstyle.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I suddenly have the urge to preorder the t.16000 hotas so that it'll be at my house next friday, to replace my current hotas x

can anyone think of a reason not to? Besides stuff like "saving money for serious things" and such nonsense

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

TorakFade posted:

I suddenly have the urge to preorder the t.16000 hotas so that it'll be at my house next friday, to replace my current hotas x

can anyone think of a reason not to? Besides stuff like "saving money for serious things" and such nonsense

Off chance the throttle is garbage, I don't see that as likely though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Im a chronic miser and im getting one before 2.2 hits.

Rail throttle is gonna feel a bit awkward especially if youre user to lever throttles, but i think ill manage.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
One of the new planetary "Geyser" features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogkJfLZDhLc

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
I hunted down one of the "mysterious things" and it was a complete waste of time :toot:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

looking at the pictures very hard, ive noticed 2 things that might bug me though.

1.) It again has no trigger on the thumb rest. Appearently Thrustmaster hates using their thumbs to shoot things. The thumb rest is switchable to left-hand use, hence they couldnt put a button there.
So anything thats not fired with your index finger will be a bit awkward when fired on rolling right since your thumb will be at the top of the stick and thus not be able to push the stick over; instead rolling right and firing will be your fingers pulling the stick and your thumb pushing on top.
I find that very annoying on my current (Thrustmaster) stick, especially with sustained fire weapons like multicannons or lasers.

2.) It again has no height-adjustable hand rest pad because it too is switchable for lefties.
So if your hands arent exactly fitting the stick length, you will get a sore thumb from hooking it in the thumb rest to keep your hand at height (good thing theres no button to use it for, ey?)

The more i think of it, the more i fear i would be better off with an x52...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

LCL-Dead posted:

One of the new planetary "Geyser" features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogkJfLZDhLc

Heh, I am not completely sure they should have even bothered with this thing :D

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That one looks a bit poo poo. Someone posted a few more in the comments of that vid though.

There's quite a lot of variation it seems.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yolomon Wayne posted:

looking at the pictures very hard, ive noticed 2 things that might bug me though.

1.) It again has no trigger on the thumb rest. Appearently Thrustmaster hates using their thumbs to shoot things. The thumb rest is switchable to left-hand use, hence they couldnt put a button there.
So anything thats not fired with your index finger will be a bit awkward when fired on rolling right since your thumb will be at the top of the stick and thus not be able to push the stick over; instead rolling right and firing will be your fingers pulling the stick and your thumb pushing on top.
I find that very annoying on my current (Thrustmaster) stick, especially with sustained fire weapons like multicannons or lasers.

2.) It again has no height-adjustable hand rest pad because it too is switchable for lefties.
So if your hands arent exactly fitting the stick length, you will get a sore thumb from hooking it in the thumb rest to keep your hand at height (good thing theres no button to use it for, ey?)

The more i think of it, the more i fear i would be better off with an x52...

The thrustmaster throttle looks really nice and is available separately so for a little more you can get whatever stick you want. The CH flightstick would pair nicely as well as the russian thing that recently came out that i can't find the link for anymore.

Edit: found it https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Joystick-Flight-Simulator-Controller-Stick/dp/B01G6GT49O

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

The thrustmaster throttle looks really nice and is available separately so for a little more you can get whatever stick you want. The CH flightstick would pair nicely as well as the russian thing that recently came out that i can't find the link for anymore.

Agree, the throttle looks fantastic but the stick really is "meh" at best.

I have no experience with hotas setups, are both on their own usb and you can just plug in whatever stick you like without the two strangling each other?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

tooterfish posted:

That one looks a bit poo poo. Someone posted a few more in the comments of that vid though.

There's quite a lot of variation it seems.

Didn't know you could land on a gas planet :laugh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Do they actually do anything or are they just neat things to find while motoring around?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H13 posted:

I did a few Robigo runs and made a few million.

They're Engineer components. Note that they're only useful if you have Horizons, since engineers are Horizons-only.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Giovanni0109 posted:

Engineering-related cargo has seriously been making me consider getting a second account just to store the cargo off of my main account. Having to keep extra cargo bays on my vulture just so I can swap ships, but not lose cargo I'm holding until I get to the point of visiting an Engineer to make something is maddening.

I like how it won't even let you buy some ships. I had a few modular terminals and wanted to set up a DBX to scan some stuff in order to get my rank up with one of the FSD engineers, but even though you can easily make one with large enough cargo holds I couldn't even buy it because the default setup comes with only 12t cargo space :(

Also I wanted to say I really like the Python, I hope there will be an adequate replacement for Sothis poop runs so I can keep using my ship with the ridiculous fake wood paneling cockpit :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Agree, the throttle looks fantastic but the stick really is "meh" at best.

I have no experience with hotas setups, are both on their own usb and you can just plug in whatever stick you like without the two strangling each other?

To keep cost down the stick is basically the same as the current T16000. Down to the ton of buttons on the base which are frankly quite useless on a hotas, but the real selling point is having 4 hat switches on the throttle, one of which (the index finger one) analog - no more modifier for targeting, you can bind a whopping 10 keybinds just on the side of the throttle, plus all other buttons and switches you won't need the keyboard for anything except typing system names or navigating the map.

They could have messed a bit with the stick layout but eh, it's still cheaper than most competitors and the internals are awesome supposedly, with the magnetic hall sensors there should be a dramatic increase in precision compared to the hotas x (which is admittedly very lacking in that regard)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

To keep cost down the stick is basically the same as the current T16000. Down to the ton of buttons on the base which are frankly quite useless on a hotas, but the real selling point is having 4 hat switches on the throttle, one of which (the index finger one) analog - no more modifier for targeting, you can bind a whopping 10 keybinds just on the side of the throttle, plus all other buttons and switches you won't need the keyboard for anything except typing system names or navigating the map.

They could have messed a bit with the stick layout but eh, it's still cheaper than most competitors and the internals are awesome supposedly, with the magnetic hall sensors there should be a dramatic increase in precision compared to the hotas x (which is admittedly very lacking in that regard)

I really think i will just buy the throttle and couple it with my freshly dusted off Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (thumb trigger!!).
Will mainly depend on the standalone price of the throttle though.

How will the internals help with flight assist off?
My primary main problem is correcting thrust in the exact amount, which leads to overshooting-undershooting-overshooting-underturning-fuckthisshitFA:ON

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I really think i will just buy the throttle and couple it with my freshly dusted off Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (thumb trigger!!).
Will mainly depend on the standalone price of the throttle though.

How will the internals help with flight assist off?
My primary main problem is correcting thrust in the exact amount, which leads to overshooting-undershooting-overshooting-underturning-fuckthisshitFA:ON

Standalone throttle should be 79$ but don't quote me on that, read it somewhere.

Properly correcting thrust is nigh impossible on the hotas x with its cheap potentiometers and funky springs, I only use fa off to do faster 360 flip because it gets uncontrollable very quick for anything else since it's tough to apply the same amount of input twice. I hope the 16000 is better in that regard..

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 22, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tippis posted:

Do they actually do anything or are they just neat things to find while motoring around?
Not a clue.

Braben hinted they might be good locations to find rare materials in one of his Gamescom interviews, no idea if that's a concrete implementation or if he was just musing though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TorakFade posted:

Properly correcting thrust is nigh impossible on the hotas x with its cheap potentiometers and funky springs, I only use fa off to do faster 360 flip because it gets uncontrollable very quick for anything else since it's tough to apply the same amount of input twice. I hope the 16000 is better in that regard..
The T.16000m is much more precise, and while you'll probably see an improvement in consistency for large stick movements, I found the biggest improvement was actually in how much better fine movements felt toward the center of the stick when there wasn't a deadzone to get in the way.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

The T.16000m is much more precise, and while you'll probably see an improvement in consistency for large stick movements, I found the biggest improvement was actually in how much better fine movements felt toward the center of the stick when there wasn't a deadzone to get in the way.

But without an indicator on how much counter-thrust is needed, will "precision of the stick" help me level my vector?
I mean like, i can then more precicely apply a random amount of counter-thrust and see how it works out?

I see people using FA off and go into stable vectors, and id very much like to learn how.
Ive watched all 3 videos of Look Inverted but am unable to replicate the movements since every pitch comes with an ever so slight roll and every roll has a pitch.
Will stick precision help with those?
Im absolutly positive i will never pull into a pitch at exactly 180°, it will always be a few left or right and thus apply roll. Should setting up deadzones for roll counter that?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Question about the fighters for you in the beta.

Can you change the loadout of the fighters themselves?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yolomon Wayne posted:

But without an indicator on how much counter-thrust is needed, will "precision of the stick" help me level my vector?
I mean like, i can then more precicely apply a random amount of counter-thrust and see how it works out?
Well, I just mean that any inconsistency in stick movements will be your own fault rather than that of lovely sensors/springs in the stick. Nothing will make you better at flying with FA off more than practice, buying a new stick isn't suddenly gonna turn you into Isinona no matter how good it is.

IAmTheRad posted:

No, what you buy is what you get, like with SRVs. Each fighter has multiple loadout variants to choose from when purchasing them, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

As far as I could see when buying a Taipan for my Betaconda, nope. You can only select between multiple fighter-chassis with different loadouts.

In practice this works the same anyway, though. Buying a different fighter with another loadout is probably even a lot faster and less tedious than trying to change their loadouts manually.

• Locked thread