Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
internet Mac Pod Phone Message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

USSAr posted:

google is how
but... I like how

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
fail repeatedly over and over again?

me too, me too

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Here is where Allo became frustrating for me. Asking an assistant to search movie showtimes tonight should load a list of movies and corresponding showtimes. Instead, Googles assistant shows a list of movies without showtimes; only after tapping on a film can you ask for times.

Sometimes that doesnt even work. Asking for showtimes for the movie Snowden loaded movies playing at a movie theater called UA Snowden Square Stadium 14. Not helpful unless, of course, you live in Columbia, Md.

Allo also tries to guess what your written response might be to certain types of phrases, questions or photos. With photos, the app occasionally identifies whats inside the photo to generate a suggested reaction. So when you receive a photo of a dog, Allo loads responses like adorable.

This feature ran into several problems. When I sent a picture to a friend of my cat sitting inside my car, Allo suggested this response to the friend: What a cute car! (Sorry, Allo, but my Prius is the opposite of cute.)

When I sent photos of my dog to the same friend, Allos assistant correctly identified the breed, a Pembroke Welsh corgi. It suggested the reaction Nice pembroke welsh corgi. Impressive, but if someone said that to me in real life, I would add that person to my list of suspected Cylons.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

When I sent photos of my dog to the same friend, Allos assistant correctly identified the breed, a Pembroke Welsh corgi. It suggested the reaction Nice pembroke welsh corgi. Impressive, but if someone said that to me in real life, I would add that person to my list of suspected Cylons.

req: the fyad flag with the terminator and "i'm the..."

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
trying to computationally automate conversation is so google. eventually your phone will automatically talk to other phones without any human involvement

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

Nice CTHULHU A A

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

trying to computationally automate conversation is so google. eventually your phone will automatically talk to other phones without any human involvement

i liked that part pf "her"

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

whats the i short for anyway

its u

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

you can already configure inbox to do this with email i think

i know it has the suggested replies and i thought i read something about a way to automate using them but that couldve been a fever dream

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
assistant sounds like something that was solved with siri/ok google/etc years ago which have the convenient ability to use your voice instead of typing it out

USSAr fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 22, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google assistant would make more sense if it wasn't confined to one lovely chat app

maybe they could add it to their good client instead

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

rapeface posted:

how is Allo somehow worse than the new iMessage

how were you able to determine it's worse when there's nobody using it to test with

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
also,

ahmeni posted:

Nice pembroke welsh corgi.

It's me/mods

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

how were you able to determine it's worse when there's nobody using it to test with

taht's at least part of why it's worse

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i got a sms from someone using allo because it apparently told them i was using allo too (i was not). instead it just gave me a sms link and told me the message was from "joe".

good thing first names are unique and there is no more than one joe in the universe.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yo joe

they've done it

google has managed to gently caress up yo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

i got a sms from someone using allo because it apparently told them i was using allo too (i was not). instead it just gave me a sms link and told me the message was from "joe".

good thing first names are unique and there is no more than one joe in the universe.

quote:

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun of yours?
Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that gun in your hand, oh
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man

I was going to change the lyrics but this seemed equally appropriate to a system that just sends the message to every Joe using it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

ahmeni posted:

Here is where Allo became frustrating for me. Asking an assistant to search movie showtimes tonight should load a list of movies and corresponding showtimes. Instead, Googles assistant shows a list of movies without showtimes; only after tapping on a film can you ask for times.

Sometimes that doesnt even work. Asking for showtimes for the movie Snowden loaded movies playing at a movie theater called UA Snowden Square Stadium 14. Not helpful unless, of course, you live in Columbia, Md.

Allo also tries to guess what your written response might be to certain types of phrases, questions or photos. With photos, the app occasionally identifies whats inside the photo to generate a suggested reaction. So when you receive a photo of a dog, Allo loads responses like adorable.

This feature ran into several problems. When I sent a picture to a friend of my cat sitting inside my car, Allo suggested this response to the friend: What a cute car! (Sorry, Allo, but my Prius is the opposite of cute.)

cant wait to see screenshots of it saying terrible things about the holocaust and such. it has much to learn from taytweets

poty fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Endless Mike posted:

google assistant would make more sense if it wasn't confined to one lovely chat app

maybe they could add it to their good client instead

which one would that be?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
accepted a job offer today, i'll be gargling teh google starting in january :eyepop:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

condolences

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

creationist believer posted:

internet Mac Pod Phone Message

Apple Apple Watch Edition Edition

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Series DD Funding posted:

accepted a job offer today, i'll be gargling teh google starting in january :eyepop:

hope they say allo to your continued employment and don't leave you to hangout

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

here's to hoping you get one of the good jobs and aren't a data janitor who stays long enough to vest their stock and get a line on their resume

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

WELCOME TO THE MACHINE

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
working at goog is good, imo. the pay / bennies are fully sick. I'm making 1.5-2x total comp compared to what I'd get elsewhere and the infrastructure / codebase is probably the best in the world. only thing that would make me quit is if I had to move to the west coast.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

plus, there's the ballpit

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

long past time we had a googler gang-tag + official googler safe space thread where you're not allowed to say mean things about inbox, imo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you do that you should form committees to determine who are and are not good posters

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

dazjw posted:

long past time we had a googler gang-tag + official googler safe space thread where you're not allowed to say mean things about inbox, imo

inbox owns

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dazjw posted:

not before you make a unified inbox

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

dazjw posted:

okay but if google kills inbox all of you get banned.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

whats the most interesting question they asked in the interviews

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

poty posted:

which came first: ranch or cool ranch?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
tell me your true feelings about the mission district

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not before you make a unified inbox

love to but it turns out that your mom has prior art for getting many things from different sources in one box

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i like inbox

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Endless Mike posted:

i like inbox

fine let's make it a thread where we all pretend we have heard of and use Spaces

• Locked thread