Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Maybe this would actually be better to ask here:
Hmmmmm... Been thinking about DQ Builders lately. Is the PS4 version superior in ways aside from framerate and graphics, or is it worth sacrificing that for the portability (and comfort :)) of the Vita version.

It's only the framerate/resolution/anti-aliasing. The games are the same. Maybe Vita is digital only or something, depending on your region but yeah. IIRC there's no cross-save though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kirios posted:

If your game requires co op to be good then it's probably not a good game.

Re5

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is DQ Builders more of an adventure game with some Minecraft added in or a Minecraft game with missions? I keep reading prerelease material and I can't tell where it lands.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I love how it looks like one of those fake video games you see in CSI.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ape Agitator posted:

Is DQ Builders more of an adventure game with some Minecraft added in or a Minecraft game with missions? I keep reading prerelease material and I can't tell where it lands.

Its has a story and boss fights and npc characters with things for you to do. Its more arpg than crafting game but usual arpg ways of interacting with the world are replaced with block building in clever ways

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Its has a story and boss fights and npc characters with things for you to do. Its more arpg than crafting game but usual arpg ways of interacting with the world are replaced with block building in clever ways

I'm not really into minecraft make your own adventure sort of things so I've been skimming over it but how you describe it makes DQ Builders sound really good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lemon-Lime posted:

I love how it looks like one of those fake video games you see in CSI.

I like how the gun takes up a solid third of the screen, so if anyone comes at you from your right you're hosed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

elf help book posted:

Loot is stupid.

Agreed, I enjoyed BL2 and Destiny as shooters. Had nothing to do with loot. I'll never understand people who get so obsessed with having the biggest numbers, but I guess those sorts of autistic/ocd leanings are common with gamers.

Tried Diablo 3 and hated it because that game has zero gameplay. There's nothing redeemable if you aren't loot obsessed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm curious to at least play it once just to see what it's like. Is it really THAT bad or is Overwatch just that much better? People are always like "it's not like Overwatch!!"

I had the same curiosity. It's just a bad feeling shooter (like bl2 in molasses) with terrible game design decisions. My reason for hating it had nothing to do with Overwatch, which I'd only describe as "slick but uninteresting."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Agreed, I enjoyed BL2 and Destiny as shooters. Had nothing to do with loot. I'll never understand people who get so obsessed with having the biggest numbers, but I guess those sorts of autistic/ocd leanings are common with gamers.

Tried Diablo 3 and hated it because that game has zero gameplay. There's nothing redeemable if you aren't loot obsessed.

Loot lust is a disease. Be careful.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Not sure how you can group these two together if it's not the loot because BL2 shooting is dogshit and Destiny's story is pretty nonsensical.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 23, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Obsurveyor posted:

Not sure how you can group these two together if it's not the loot because BL2 shooting is dogshit.

I mentioned those two because people consider them loot games. I agree BL2 shooting sucks, and I can't really explain why I liked it. I couldn't sit through the Pre-Sequel, or the Tales game, so :iiam:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I had a serious problem in Destiny with having to do stupidly hard content on a playdate basis to get a single chance per week at having something drop that might make the content less stupidly hard. That was also way back before they even released a single bit of that farcical "season pass" content though so I'm being overly harsh, but that's a big part of what drove me off. In the end if I remember my only decently useful weapon ended up coming from basically cheating and hiding behind some crates while occasionally taking potshots because it was simply impossible for me to complete that week's stupid thing any other way.

At least in Borderlands games I could usually find a reasonably effective gun somewhere, though I admit the special boss drops were a LOT more effective and fun and rarely ever show up. But I didn't mind it as much since I wasn't completely beholden to that. And I've heard Destiny got better (there's practically no way it couldn't) so it's lovely of me to blame it for that still, but those were some rough months.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CrashCat posted:

I had a serious problem in Destiny with having to do stupidly hard content on a playdate basis to get a single chance per week at having something drop that might make the content less stupidly hard. That was also way back before they even released a single bit of that farcical "season pass" content though so I'm being overly harsh, but that's a big part of what drove me off. In the end if I remember my only decently useful weapon ended up coming from basically cheating and hiding behind some crates while occasionally taking potshots because it was simply impossible for me to complete that week's stupid thing any other way.

get good

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Kirios posted:

If your game requires co op to be good then it's probably not a good game.

Okay? According to this thread, every FPS is bad and there aren't any good games. BL, Destiny, Battleborn, Diablo, basically any coop game is fun with other people. Boy I sure do feel bad for buying a bad game and enjoying it with my friends!!!

CrashCat posted:

At least in Borderlands games I could usually find a reasonably effective gun somewhere, though I admit the special boss drops were a LOT more effective and fun and rarely ever show up. But I didn't mind it as much since I wasn't completely beholden to that. And I've heard Destiny got better (there's practically no way it couldn't) so it's lovely of me to blame it for that still, but those were some rough months.

Destiny was never stupidly hard if you played the content in the order it presented it to you. I don't remember having to wait to do other content unless it was the Heroic missions or Hard raids and those required special drops. It was a loot grind sure, but the game was never stupidly hard.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lblitzer posted:

Okay? According to this thread, every FPS is bad and there aren't any good games. BL, Destiny, Battleborn, Diablo, basically any coop game is fun with other people. Boy I sure do feel bad for buying a bad game and enjoying it with my friends!!!

Destiny was never stupidly hard if you played the content in the order it presented it to you. I don't remember having to wait to do other content unless it was the Heroic missions or Hard raids and those required special drops. It was a loot grind sure, but the game was never stupidly hard.

Nightfalls. Nightfalls can range from tedious to stupid hard.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TARDISman posted:

Nightfalls. Nightfalls can range from tedious to stupid hard.
Yeah that was the one, I did all the missions and strikes and so on and I knew I wasn't ready for raids, and the only place I could find to get gear was the drat Tuesday Nightfall

I'll admit I also suck at games and life but that poo poo was brutal. Now that I think of it I'm not even sure if I got my one good gun from that or as a random drop from the hundreds of hours I spent bashing my head against the wall in PvP

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
eyyyy papi, lets get a good flash sale today

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Looks the US flash sale is already up.

There is a decent variety of stuff in there and some good prices.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
This month's Flash Sale looks to be starting soon:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/flash-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-FLASHSALEWEBLP

It currently doesn't have any PS+ specific discounts listed anywhere so I'd wait until it's formally up and advertised before buying anything to ensure that you don't overpay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just want Odin Sphere to get a little discount, is that so wrong

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Thinking I might pick up Day of the Tentacle and/or either of the Shantaes. Do any of those have any problems running on PS4?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, its an MMO, that's how MMOs work.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh hey, that Saint Seiya PS4 game is finally not $60! Okay yeah sure thanks flash sale.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kenny Logins posted:

Thinking I might pick up Day of the Tentacle and/or either of the Shantaes. Do any of those have any problems running on PS4?

They're all fine as long as you don't mind controlling DotT with an analogue stick.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kenny Logins posted:

DoTT runs beautifully. Also, if you somehow don't have Grim Fandango yet, it's also awesome on PS4.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, its an MMO, that's how MMOs work.
I've played lots of MMORPGs and only the lovely Korean ones had that stupid a leap. But you're right it's not impossibly rare :shrug:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dewgy posted:

DoTT runs beautifully. Also, if you somehow don't have Grim Fandango yet, it's also awesome on PS4.
I got GF from PS+ but I'd also played that back in the day. DotT is the one LucasArts game I've managed to have completely missed, despite being a huge fan of literally every other point + click adventure they've done.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CrashCat posted:

I've played lots of MMORPGs and only the lovely Korean ones had that stupid a leap. But you're right it's not impossibly rare :shrug:
Oh I didn't say it was a good MMO, good MMOs have more than just the one treadmill on a weekly lockout to slam your dick against.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

As someone who hates having to look up to solve obscure puzzles, would I like day of the tentacle?

Bought both Shantae games,I always liked them.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Ineffiable posted:

As someone who hates having to look up to solve obscure puzzles, would I like day of the tentacle?

It isn't nearly as obscure as some of the Grim Fandango puzzles, so I'd say yes. Most of the puzzles involve finding an object in one time and flushing it to someone in the past to change the timeline.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

I got GF from PS+ but I'd also played that back in the day. DotT is the one LucasArts game I've managed to have completely missed, despite being a huge fan of literally every other point + click adventure they've done.

Oh wow you're in for a treat. Although it's somewhat linear in that there's only a single ending and only one solution to each puzzle, it's one of the best thought-out LucasArts adventure games with how the time periods work and influence the future. And if you missed Maniac Mansion 1, it comes with that too, and that game is kind of insane in terms of its attention to detail and variability, especially for an 80's game that was LucasArts' first stab at adventure games at all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

It's MUCH more approachable than most LucasArts games in this regard. There aren't very many puzzles you're likely to get stuck on.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

univbee posted:

Oh wow you're in for a treat. Although it's somewhat linear in that there's only a single ending and only one solution to each puzzle, it's one of the best thought-out LucasArts adventure games with how the time periods work and influence the future. And if you missed Maniac Mansion 1, it comes with that too, and that game is kind of insane in terms of its attention to detail and variability, especially for an 80's game that was LucasArts' first stab at adventure games at all.
Nice to know re: MM1, I played that on NES way back when but obviously that wasn't the ideal platform for it.

I may end up holding off as a 60% off sale now means at least a 60% off sale later when my backlog is lower but I had been meaning to ask re: DotT for some time now.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I might grab Darius Burst, but even at 60% off it still seems expensive for a side-scrolling shooter.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

It's MUCH more approachable than most LucasArts games in this regard. There aren't very many puzzles you're likely to get stuck on.

Dang that sounds perfect. I'm struggling a bit with grim fandango and still haven't finished it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Nice to know re: MM1, I played that on NES way back when but obviously that wasn't the ideal platform for it.

Unless you played the Japanese version, MM1 on NES was a pretty solid port with some nice extras. Ultimately it doesn't much matter how you play the first game, it's all good.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Child of Light is on a really good sale on PS4 in that Flash Sale. I might pick it up finally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DotT isn't as obscure as some but it does have a few sticking points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Dang that sounds perfect. I'm struggling a bit with grim fandango and still haven't finished it.

Yeah, Grim Fandango puzzle-wise is very hard, probably the hardest LucasArts game honestly.

Probably the biggest general hint for DoTT is to pay close attention to what people are saying. I mean, it'll be funny and that's part of the game's charm, but I think pretty much all puzzle solutions are hinted at fairly strongly, the same dialogue laying out the problem will also give a strong push towards the solution. Also despite the cartooniness, a few of the puzzles have solutions which are a bit macabre, so bear that in mind.

• Locked thread