Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I like the part where Crobbits says he goes too easy on people, then immediately opines that any leavers who have complained were just bitter because he gave them too many chances to live up to his vision and they just kept failing him.

Today is gonna be a good day.

e: taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

quote:

There are benefits to the method CIG has chosen, say some of Star Citizen’s developers. All the work that CIG does in making the modules is done in a shared codebase, so any engineering done to create a feature for the modules is accessible to all developers working on the game, Erin Roberts explained to me. The team at one studio can draw upon work done for another, which means that no artist, designer or engineer should have to do anything twice.

lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

“When I really lose it, it's because people passive-aggressively don't [do what they’ve been instructed], and instead try to push their agenda, coming up with reasons why it needs to be this other way. That really, really annoys me because it just creates friction all the time. I like to have a lot of really good creative people around and I like them to contribute all their ideas but when I say we're going left instead of right, everyone needs to go left. It's not an ego thing – it's about the project.”

No. That's about your ego refusing to let the experts make informed decisions based on their experience and expertise in an area you're utterly clueless about, Chris.

e: Also…
“That is someone who has their preconceived notions and will settle for something that isn't good enough. The first and the third-person, there were a lot of people on the team who said that you cannot do it. They said it wasn't possible. Illfonic [the contractor building Star Marine] said the same thing. The same with the character stuff: I said we need to do it. And the inventory… it happens right now in [version] 2.4. You can put jackets and trousers on, and caps. There's layering with the armour. So everything that that person told you that couldn't happen, it's all in the game now and it's all at the quality [I asked for]. We've got as good or better than what 1886 has.”

Is any of that actually true or does Chris simply not understand what's in the game at the moment?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 23, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is it happening?

:allears:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

orcinus posted:

I get seriously triggered when i hear that.
And i've had that for a while - the "you're always negative, why are you always saying it won't work" shtick.

Yeah this is a major problem with managers who think they have the vision thing. They can never break their daydreams down into actual goals. Top-down suits their picture of themselves, and if by chance they get something down they crow about execution.

Daztek posted:

Please make a rebecca black - friday parody about how CIG disasters always start on friday :v:

Hmm interesting. Maybe a slowed down Portishead version.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tippis posted:

No. That's about your ego refusing to let the experts make informed decisions based on their experience and expertise in an area you're utterly clueless about, Chris.

:hfive:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

quote:

Once, a source says, Chris came to work after playing The Order: 1886. Impressed by the highly detailed art, he asked CIG’s character artists to match that standard.

quote:

The second example I was given was from a time when Roberts came back from seeing another in-development CryEngine game, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. He had been deeply impressed by the character inventory and outfits system, which involved multiple layers of clothing where each item has different properties, from its material to its weight and shape, that affect how it animates. Chris wanted it for Star Citizen.

hahaha

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How long do you all think Derek's happy dance lasts before he cracks his knuckles and loads up Twitter?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tuo posted:

How long do you all think Derek's happy dance lasts before he cracks his knuckles and loads up Twitter?

Depends. Will the doctors allow him to use any kind of internet device while they operate on his knees, desperately hoping to repair the gruesome damage done by the intensity of said happy dance?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

tuo posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/779288136354504704

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/779288249965617153

:cool:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

/r/Games: Inside the troubled development of Star Citizen (Kotaku)

unslept_em
to the people who are considering downvoting this article: it is perhaps worth reading first. despite what the lede section might lead you to believe, it does not seem to be a hit piece, and indeed looks quite well-researched and well-written.

AntonioOfFlorence
Don't bother. It's a Kotaku article and it's critical of Star Citizen. This is going straight down the shitter, regardless of anything contained in the article itself.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

To his detractors, Roberts says: “The race isn't finished yet. Wait till the finish line is crossed and then I'll say people can make judgements about whether it was the right way or not. Instinctively, it was the way that felt right to me.”

But where is the finish line???

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Who was it a couple of days ago that asked for something funny or interesting to finally happen? Thank you.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

quote:

To build this prototype, he would need people and a game engine. “I didn’t want to build a game engine from scratch,” Roberts said. “I did that for all my old games, but it just takes time. It can have all these cool features and maybe it's 5% better than the current state of the art engine, but then I've lost two years in doing it.”

So instead, I'll spent two years modifying someone else's engine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chris talking about doing the things his way is triggering me. In software design it doesn't matter how you get to the result, whats important is the result.

Anyways yesterday our unit went through some "friction" when the highest ranking officer wanted to do something his way. The master sgts and captains said "No sir, leave everything to us, we'll get it right". He delegated control, and the subordinates did the job just fine without spending a poo poo ton of time doing redundant poo poo like he wanted to originally. A good leader knows when to delegate control.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

So everything that that person told you that couldn't happen, it's all in the game now and it's all at the quality [I asked for]. We've got as good or better than what 1886 has.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 23, 2016

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So, now let's wait for the thousands of reasons the shitizens come up with why this article is 100% false.

The timing of the article is perfect, right before the big event where Roberts will have to break both the 3.0 and the SQ42 delay to backers (as well as 2.6 of course) ;)

But hey, here are some new concepts to buy, new subscriptions and of course FPS classes. I guess at least 6 million made of CitCon alone.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Why does he wear his wedding ring everywhere and Sandi never does? Is she still trying to hide the fact she's married?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Why does he wear his wedding ring everywhere and Sandi never does? Is she still trying to hide the fact she's married?

She has to upkeep the vision that she is "available" to the backers (and fans of her acting career).

Then again, looking at the chemistry between them, it wouldn't surprise me if she actually is available again.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: that article was the better 10FTC!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Marching Powder posted:

there is only a finite number of fully autistic people desperate for a non-real game to give them a sense of belonging. i believe we're near saturation. the existing spergs are currently fighting to be told as little as possible as to the actual state of the game, and while this could be because they are just impossibly retarded, i'm going to take the optimistic route and say it's indicative of something much larger in their collective psyche. those company lines they keep trotting out are looking more and more stupid with each passing incompetence, and vigorously defending it online is actually, i imagine, extremely draining, even for holy warriors.

I think we are past saturation. The sponge is drying out. They are going to be losing people monthly even if they somehow manage to get new blood on board.
Two years ago this game showed a lot of promise to filthy casuals like me with more than average play money. The same is not true now. What they showed at the last show doesn't even compete with the trailers from COD and ME, hell even NMS as maligned as that game was, still made their demonstration a meh, seen that already. What else you got?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oh it's...beautiful, here take my spade chris you can dig a little deeper....

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
/r/PCMasterRace: Eight-month investigation lifts the lid on Star Citizen's troubled development. (PC Gamer)

clearing_sky
Source: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen. Great Journalism.

The long and the short of what I got was that at the start, the rapid expansion led to a clusterfuck in many ways. Poor communication, training, and management were a major problem. But, it also seems that this has gotten better as features and components stabilized and people were brought in who knew the tech. When you expand as rapidly as CIG did, there are bound the problems. The first years of any company are usually rocky and chaotic. Add that to the rapid expansion of Star Citizen's ambitions, and you compound the problem.

My takeaway is that the first few years were chaos, and if we saw what was going on behind the curtain, the game wouldn't have the capital it does not. But, I got the sense that a lot of the issues are now known and being worked on. From my limited knowledge, it seems that the promised features have solidified and steady progress has been made towards the objectives. I think this article sheds a lot of light into the rocky world of Video Game Companies but doesn't really cast any doubt on Star Citizen's prospects.

Will we see an actual game? Don't know, but it seems the prospects are a lot better than they were a year ago.
TL;DR There were some major problems at CIG, but they are fixing or have fixed them.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Derek: is this the long-awaited ELE?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

PRO-CLICK right here. I should have started taking quotes from the beginning because there are just so many hosed up things. These links are a must read.

quote:

When I talked to Chris about redundancies and restructuring, he maintains that it was necessary. “You've got to get the chemistry right,” he says. “It's not going to look good on their CV. But they may not fit. And sometimes you can hire someone and after a month or two realise it's not going to work out. That's the hardest thing, because you never hire someone because you want to fire them. You never do that. It's so much work to fire people.

I'm actually bad at that,” he claims. “I'm a big softie and always giving people extra chances, but I'm trying to be tougher on our organisation because every time we're in a situation I think we can turn around, but the person doesn't turn it around, they get a little more bitter and pissed off, and then the exit is more noisy.”

:laffo:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Also yes I regularly chewed out those useless sacks of flesh I call directors. I'd kidnap a thousand children before I let this company die.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That will not go well. Subscriptions remain the absolute third rail of backers. Locking any content behind it will absolutely piss off the community. Remember, these people are idiots, but they ridiculously self-entitled idiots. Anything that denies them content, especially denied behind a pay wall, will fracture that delicate mental construct that enables the delusion of CIG being a benevolent company.

They will spin it as an opportunity for them to help develop the game even more than they are already. Some will rebel, but the majority will goosestep march to the tune of Ortwin beating off to stacks of money.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

“Honestly, I don't know anyone working that [number of hours] here,” said Chris Roberts in response. “I don't want crunch as a culture, we don't do it. [...] We rarely do any kind of crunch to overtime."

-Chris Roberts, bald-faced lying motherfucker

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

This article is part of an ongoing series on Star Citizen from Kotaku UK, compiled from 7 months of reporting and investigation.

:eyepop:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Article was pretty good imo, a bit... cautious, maybe? Very focused on giving Chris the opportunity to respond to everything. Then again if this is the first in a series it will have to be the even-handed one they hope will get the spergs to not shut off their brains immediately, I wanna read the next one.

Also pretty great to know that ~traditional gaming media~ has been working on this for seven months, I hope they're not the only ones doing it

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In this case it's not stupidity. It's a very fragile set of beliefs that allow them to maintain the illusion that CIG is a benevolent company that isn't pulling off the same scummy poo poo that the "bad' companies do.

A few years ago I spent a lot of time talking to people about which business model would be most viable for CIG. The idea was that perhaps selling in-game currency at a fixed rate that was an order of magnitude greater than the market rate might be a bad idea, and perhaps an alternative would be more feasible. I found that nothing is more polarizing than a subscription model. The only reason CIG has gotten away with it is because the subscription rewards have been either cosmetic or early access. Actually locking content behind a paywall would be something completely new.

I like you Beer, and I do understand what you're trying to convey.

But I have to disagree with you on this one. The alternative to ponying up for subs is admitting that SC will never be released, as CIG would not be able to pay for its continued development.

Those spergs will fold and sign up for subscriptions, regardless of how distasteful it might be. To "support the cause."

These are incredibly damaged individuals. This has become their lives and sense of self-worth.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
"I know Ben, Ben wouldn't say something like that."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

quote:

CIG wanted to use the environment assets Illfonic had created for its Gold Horizon space station level as an environment kit. But when CIG tried to fit the assets into their levels, they found that none of the assets worked with CIG’s kit system; they had all been built to the wrong scale. A source told me that after the studio had worked on the Gold Horizon map for more than a year, CIG asked Illfonic’s artists to remake the whole thing with new metrics to satisfy the Squadron 42 team. “It sucked for the artists,” my source told me.

“I'm always very perplexed by this,” Roberts responds, when I ask him how this deviation had happened. “We got everyone together and had a whole art summit in Austin in 2013. I thought we were all on the same page but I guess at some point we weren't, because I started to hear back from the environment guys that 'this thing doesn't fit with what we're doing.’ The communication wasn't good, but it was also a problem because there wasn't one person in charge of all of that.”

In short, no one person was in a position to spot deviation before it became too severe. This wasted months of work and necessitated months more to correct the problem. Illfonic worked on Star Marine for nearly two years, but production issues like the one above have meant that nothing it worked on has been released, and much of what it did create has been rewritten by CIG.

:gary:

quote:

Let’s go back to a really early point in the Star Citizen story: the decision to use CryEngine. Multiple sources told me that adapting a game engine built for first-person shooters to run a massively-multiplayer universe has been a huge hindrance throughout Star Citizen’s development. Some of them say that building an engine from scratch would actually, at this point, have been more efficient.

Right, Derek Smart was.

quote:

“They wanted a brand new first-person system so, having licensed CryEngine, an engine built from the ground up to create first-person games, they stripped it and started building a brand new first-person system inside an engine that already had one,” said a source at Foundry 42. “I just think that was a stupid, stupid decision.

:gary:

quote:

There were victims of the restructuring: in Austin, a significant portion of the studio’s developers were made redundant.

Derek Smart was correct.

quote:

“The way they did it the last time was horrible. Other places where I've been laid off, or been there during lay-offs, they usually have two meetings. Everyone gets an invite to one of the two meetings. You don't know if you're in the meeting of the people who are being laid off or the people who aren't. It's actually become a joke within the industry: it's like being led into a room and being shot in the back of the head – you never knew that it was going to happen. But, at CIG, they set up in one of the offices and they called people in over a period of about six hours.

“You had no idea if you were going to be called but everyone who got called in got shot in the back of the head. So there was this high amount of anxiety where your supervisor is coming over and assuring you that he's pretty sure that you're safe, but even he doesn't know. Then the guy next to you gets called into the meeting and you lock eyes with him and there's that look of 'Oh, man, I'm so sorry.' It's the worst way you could have handled lay-offs. They didn't do it to cause anxiety, but I was surprised. I'd never seen it done that way.”

:ughh:

quote:

In many of my interviews (though not all), Chris Roberts himself was singled out as a domineering and, sometimes, disruptive presence.

“It would usually be around the time of a presentation,” another source told me. “We'd be near a deadline. Chris would insist on something being done a certain way, you would try to advise 'Well, actually no. That might make this happen...' and he’d say 'No, no, no, you need to do it. Do it this way.' You'd do it that way and then it would break and he'd be unhappy with it.”

There's too much to quote, well worth a read. It's damming.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The second example I was given was from a time when Roberts came back from seeing another in-development CryEngine game, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. He had been deeply impressed by the character inventory and outfits system, which involved multiple layers of clothing where each item has different properties, from its material to its weight and shape, that affect how it animates. Chris wanted it for Star Citizen.

“All of the developers who had worked on inventory systems said ‘OK, well, that's why this works in their game and why it won't work in this game’,” a source told me. “We spent four months having to prove ourselves right because that's the way it works with Chris Roberts. He will never believe you if you say you can't do something. You have to actually spend the time to make the entire thing and then show him when you push the button it doesn't work. That was a persistent issue. The team lost four months on that, a lot of manpower and hours, proving that, yes, in fact that doesn't work.”

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

MoMA: care to comment?

I know you're probably too busy to reply since you're working 100+ hours per week doing Evocati bug-testing for free, but if you get a moment...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/23/star-citizen-interviews-inside-development/

:bandwagon: :goon:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Do you have to be at some sort of secret club level to be allowed to down vote on that sub reddit?
On my screen it only shows the Up arrow available for posts. Yet that one guys reasonable comment was down voted to oblivion.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lladre posted:

Do you have to be at some sort of secret club level to be allowed to down vote on that sub reddit?
On my screen it only shows the Up arrow available for posts. Yet that one guys reasonable comment was down voted to oblivion.

In preferences you can stop a subreddit from forcing its lovely style sheet on you.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lladre posted:

uncheck that and downvote away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
CIG shouldn't have responded to questions for that I think, there's just more blood in the water now for the media. Responding let them try to spin it but Citizens will actually read it now for the buried CIG quotes.

• Locked thread