Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

xzzy posted:

That's how I did the rear axle nuts on my VW. I weighed myself, did the math for where on the cheater pipe I had to apply my weight, and stood on the bar at that spot. :v:

Stood very smoothly without impulse I presume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Stood very smoothly without impulse I presume.

Of course not, that's not how you tighten things! I wanted the tire shop experience so I bounced on that bastard like it was a trampoline.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

tactlessbastard posted:

Christ on a crutch, I've been changing and rotating tires on my personal fleet for twenty freaking years with the 'tighten down with a four way by foot roughly as hard as it was to break loose with your foot in the first place' method and I have never had a wheel come off, a stud or lug nut break, anything.

Same. I use a torque wrench on my spark plugs after learning that aluminum motors are more mushy than steel motors, but I still just use whatever 4-way or breaker bar is laying around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you aren't properly torquing all the screws in your IKEA furniture to spec, you can just get out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Torque the important poo poo. armstrong the stuff that can't kill anyone.

it would take a gently caress of a lot to strip a stud on the bus... 500lb-ft lug nut torque.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
Clearly what we need is a simpler likely hellaciously expensive solution such as these awesome bolts.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sudo Echo posted:

Imagine having to carry an adapter for fuel nozzles.

Why imagine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLdBEtaSaSk&t=30s

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use a torque wrench on my lugs not to make sure they don't fall off but to make sure I can undo them in the future. Every time I do them gudntight, they're a huge pain to get off after months of exposure, especially if I have a flat and need to do it in the rain. With a torque wrench, I know they won't fall off, but they also come off with minimal force on a breaker bar when I need to take the wheel off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

tactlessbastard posted:

Christ on a crutch, I've been changing and rotating tires on my personal fleet for twenty freaking years with the 'tighten down with a four way by foot roughly as hard as it was to break loose with your foot in the first place' method and I have never had a wheel come off, a stud or lug nut break, anything.

In that case, it'll obviously never happen to anyone. :v:

Realistically, it's probably pretty rare that anyone overtightens a dangerous amount using hand tools. But I've known people to undertighten without realizing it. And you're supposed to retorque after driving for a few days, which is pointless if you don't know how tight they are to begin with.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Same. I use a torque wrench on my spark plugs after learning that aluminum motors are more mushy than steel motors, but I still just use whatever 4-way or breaker bar is laying around.

Yeah, I learned that the helicoil way.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a torque wrench that's probably as old as I am, I have to kind of squint to see some of the numbers on it, I have no idea if it's in spec, out of spec, completely wrong, or what.

But at least I use the same torque wrench for everything so everything should be equally wrong!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

DethMarine21 posted:

Clearly what we need is a simpler likely hellaciously expensive solution such as these awesome bolts.

This is such a good idea I can't believe nobody's thought of it sooner.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sudo Echo posted:

Imagine having to carry an adapter for fuel nozzles.

Try driving an LPG car in Europe.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

I have a torque wrench that's probably as old as I am, I have to kind of squint to see some of the numbers on it, I have no idea if it's in spec, out of spec, completely wrong, or what.

But at least I use the same torque wrench for everything so everything should be equally wrong!

You can test it using a fish scale, just hang it a foot from the drive end, pull on it, and see if the wrench clicks at the pounds it's set to.

You first have to make sure the fish scale is in spec though, to do so put a jug on a bathroom scale, pour various pounds of water into it, and hang the jug off the scale and see if it matches up.

The bathroom scale might be off, so first get your torque wrench . . .

stump
Jan 19, 2006

When torque wrenches go out of spec, what direction to they go? Too loose or too tight? I always assumed it would be the latter, which would also be a safer way for it to go.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is my torque wrench
this is my gun
This ones for torqueing
this ones for 'fun'

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

stump posted:

When torque wrenches go out of spec, what direction to they go? Too loose or too tight? I always assumed it would be the latter, which would also be a safer way for it to go.

My thought is it would undertighten due to the spring wearing out and weakening.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ionn posted:

I predict single-use lug bolts that shear off when tightened to spec torque, and the part that's left reveals an inverted 5-sided torx (looking somewhat like a pentagram) that can be used to maybe sometimes get the bolts off when you need to remove the wheel. Each car manufacturer will have slightly different ones, with their own exotic sockets. They will be similar enough though that you can just get the wrong socket on and ruin the bolt.

In all seriousness, Apple uses those 5-pointed torx screws on their macbooks. The technology is already out there, someone just needs to patent this new method

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Water makes a good test weight, 1 litre = 1 kg at 20C

Americans will have to do math for US gallons & decimal pounds. (so weird)

When I worked in a measurement lab the test rigs were loadcell based, we had 3 different rigs. Good wrenches rarely got out of spec if not knocked around.

Quality tools could be re-calibrated as well.

I found the Warren & Brown to be the most accurate. Snap-on were a mixed bag. Bahco is a decent choice as well.

We binned a lot of cheap Chinese stuff...

wildemere fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 23, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
1 Gallon of water = 8 pounds.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

stump posted:

Both and depends entirely on the wrench, style and what happened to it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xy Hapu posted:

The bathroom scale might be off, so first get your torque wrench . . .

Use tap water. Close enough.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I learned this the hard way when changing the spark plugs on my then-new (to me) Volvo 760 Turbo. Managed to cross-thread one spark plug while torquing them all down in the same hamfisted manner as on any iron block/iron head American car. Cue that very same spark plug getting blown out of its socket during the test drive.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

Use tap water. Close enough.

At least for baking it's recommended to measure your water by weight instead of volume, because volume measures can be quite far off. Clearly, the solution is to buy a nice graduated cylinder so he can measure the calibration-water precisely enough.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 23, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

At least for baking it's recommended to measure your water by weight instead of volume, because volume measures can be quite far off. Clearly, the solution is to buy a nice graduated cylinder so he can measure the calibration-water precisely enough.

Grow some ultrapure silicon crystals, grind one to a perfect sphere, count atoms, and apply Avogadro’s number.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

This empty quote button sure is annoying.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 23, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

Grow some ultrapure silicon crystals, grind one to a perfect sphere, count atoms, and apply Avogadro’s number.

I guess, but setting up the laser interferometer to measure the diameter seems like it could be a bit much for a weekend project. If he could borrow one of the retired metre prototypes I guess it would be OK...

(The silicon spheres are obviously worth the slight extra effort.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 23, 2016

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I had the idea for fasteners that had a designed shear failure at a set torque. You could install them, tighten till they sheared off and know they were at the spec'd torque. Then I asked my mechanical engineer brother who was doing an internship at Boeing about the idea and was informed that they are common in aviation manufacturing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I had the idea for fasteners that had a designed shear failure at a set torque. You could install them, tighten till they sheared off and know they were at the spec'd torque. Then I asked my mechanical engineer brother who was doing an internship at Boeing about the idea and was informed that they are common in aviation manufacturing.

It's also used in racing series with sealed engines.

http://www.circletracksupply.com/break-off-bolt-kit-crate-602-603-604-gm.html

quote:

Sealing bolt installation: Torque heads, intakes, front cover and oil pan with stock bolts in all locations prior to installing sealing bolts. After final torque is done, remove stock bolt and install sealing bolt and tighten until head breaks off. Do not install sealing bolt first.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The Door Frame posted:

In all seriousness, Apple uses those 5-pointed torx screws on their macbooks. The technology is already out there, someone just needs to patent this new method

In all seriousness, if one of the manufacturers does decide to use this method, I'm hunting both of you down with edged weapons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

1 Gallon of water = 8 pounds.

:spergin: 8.34 lbs. :spergin:

(sorry, that matters when you're a hose monkey and calculating poo poo like when you're likely to destroy thing - so it also seem relevant when using it to measure torque)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

:spergin: 8.34 lbs. :spergin:

(sorry, that matters when you're a hose monkey and calculating poo poo like when you're likely to destroy thing - so it also seem relevant when using it to measure torque)

"A pint's a pound the world 'round" innit? Plus, a pint is 16 fl oz, and isnt a fl oz of water 1oz weight? And there's definitely 8pt in a gallon. So where's the extra change come from?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Raluek posted:

"A pint's a pound the world 'round" innit? Plus, a pint is 16 fl oz, and isnt a fl oz of water 1oz weight? And there's definitely 8pt in a gallon. So where's the extra change come from?

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-a-gallon-of-fresh-water-weigh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fluid ounces are a horrible metrological failure.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I just thought the whole deal with fluid ounces was that, when the fluid was water, they weighed an ounce. I guess not? :shobon:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Raluek posted:

I just thought the whole deal with fluid ounces was that, when the fluid was water, they weighed an ounce. I guess not? :shobon:

No, that's metric you're thinking of, 1cm3 is 1g

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slim Pickens posted:

Am I the only one that just uses an 18" breaker and tightens it so it feels really snug?

four-way lug wrench in my case, but no. Never had a problem with it either.

tactlessbastard posted:

:banjo::respek::banjo:

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I use a torque wrench on:
- wheel bearings (since the axle nut or spindle nut is what controls bearing preload)
- bearing cap bolts in diffs, crankcases, overhead cam heads, etc (since the bearing race going out of round is usually a bad fuckin' problem)
- pinion nuts (again, bearing preload)
- flywheel and pressure plate bolts (because I like my feet remaining attached and my crankshaft bolt holes unstripped)
- harmonic balancer bolts (since I like my crankshaft bolt holes unstripped, and they're often TTY)
- diff ring gear bolts (since uneven torque can warp the ring gear and cost me 3 figures in parts alone)
- head bolts (I like my heads unwarped and my head gaskets sealing)

Basically, anything that can be summed up as "spinny expensive things and enginey expensive things". I can crank on lug nuts with a 4-way and recheck at 25/50/100 miles as I see fit and it won't kill me or ruin anything, and I've never lost a wheel or stripped/broke a stud or nut this way, except that time I forgot to clean the icy mud off the mounting face of the wheel because it was late at night and I was pissed off and tired and cold as hell. The torque was fine, but the mud and ice worked its way out from between the drum and wheel and 50 miles later I heard a funny noise and had to tighten all the lugs a handful of turns.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Very commonly used in steelwork as well - buildings, bridges, etc. Tension control bolts and a proper power wrench to torque them till the tip shears off. The real benefit is you can have one dude up there with a power wrench, a sack of bolts, and a spud wrench, and he can slam the bolt through from one side, spin the nut on a little, hold the bolt in and gun it on with the other hand without needing to keep the head from spinning. https://www.fastenal.com/en/79/structural-bolts (search on page for "tension control")

e: fluid ounces vs volume ounces and pounds, pounds force, and slugs are right up there with metric horsepower on the list of engineering bullshit that I hate. Seriously, 1 SAE horsepower is 746 watts, a stupid number but at least it's an integer... 1 metric horsepower is 735.499 watts. It's me-too bullshit applied to the metric system and also the biggest turd in the punchbowl, they should have made it 1kW if they were going to do something stupid, but it's not far enough off to be a nice round number in the SI system and it's just close enough to real horsepower to make you wonder which kind of horsepower is being specified. gently caress :spergin:

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 23, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

In all seriousness, if one of the manufacturers does decide to use this method, I'm hunting both of you down with edged weapons.

I Will bring the tar and feathers.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Raluek posted:

Water has just become heavier over time.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can I use a 1/2 inch (or maybe mine is 3/4in) torque wrench on spark plugs? Or is it too big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Water has just become heavier over time.

Model bloat.