Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A very tactical looking iPhone. A tactiPhone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Anyone have any suggestions for a decent set of headphones for a 6P that have a mic and playback controls on them?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The black amazon Kindle headphones are fantastic for only 20

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The black amazon Kindle headphones are fantastic for only 20

Yep. Best $20 headphones. And sometimes if you're lucky they're like $12-15

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

SB35 posted:

Yep. Best $20 headphones. And sometimes if you're lucky they're like $12-15
Sadly I'm in the UK and they don't appear to be sold on Amazon.co.uk anymore for some reason.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
While we're talking about the 6P and headphones, how can I get the Google app to stop telling me that I can use voice controls with a wired headset every time I plug my earbuds in? I don't want to disable all Google app notifications.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 20, 2018

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What's the chance of Samsung doing a nice discount on the Note 7, to entice buyers to give it another chance? I'd be tempted to pick one up at a price cut.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hughmoris posted:

What's the chance of Samsung doing a nice discount on the Note 7, to entice buyers to give it another chance? I'd be tempted to pick one up at a price cut.

Not high; they probably will include other freebies instead.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Stewardess on my flight said to keep Samsung Notebook 7s turned off until exiting the plane.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

butt dickus posted:

Stewardess on my flight said to keep Samsung Notebook 7s turned off until exiting the plane.

It would be funnier if there was a 7" Samsung Chromebook. Some jokes just don't pan out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just got the e-mail from Motorola that they dropped the unlocked Moto Z. Any word on these since I'm desperately in need of an upgrade from my X2?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

butt dickus posted:

But but it has a green battery icon! *gets kicked off plane*

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

butt dickus posted:

Yep, the last two flights I've been on have had them specifically call it out for the duration of the flight. I doubt anyone actually listens or cares about it though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Just got the e-mail from Motorola that they dropped the unlocked Moto Z. Any word on these since I'm desperately in need of an upgrade from my X2?

http://www.motorola.com/us/products/motomaker/MotoMods?poExpanded=motoz-gsmunlocked

700 dollars. 2600mah battery. Mods(?)

No way. Looks like my days of buying Motos are over.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
drat. What's the cool and good phone for a fat rear end battery and bigass screen, then?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So they've pretty much just decided that $700 is what a new phone should cost now?

Watch how fast I become an early adopter of technology.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Toshimo posted:

drat. What's the cool and good phone for a fat rear end battery and bigass screen, then?

Huawei Mate 8

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That's pretty frustrating as I paid $409 for the Moto X2 Pure on BF2014 very shortly after its release.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I guess I've been spoiled by cheap Motorolas. I got my Nexus 6 brand new for 200USD last year when they were clearing out stock, and my 15 XPE was less than 250. I don't think I'd want a new Z for 500 dollars, let alone 700.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
It's still a Verizon exclusive (for now?) but the Moto Z Play is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Farchanter posted:

It's still a Verizon exclusive (for now?) but the Moto Z Play is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for.

I feel like they aren't likely to open that option up in the time frame that I need.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

I guess I've been spoiled by cheap Motorolas. I got my Nexus 6 brand new for 200USD last year when they were clearing out stock, and my 15 XPE was less than 250. I don't think I'd want a new Z for 500 dollars, let alone 700.

Yeah, I think waiting a year works out decently. I got a Moto X 2014 cheap in 2015, then a Nexus 6 cheap same time you did. Hopefully will grab a 6p once they start getting down to $200-300.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

docbeard posted:

So they've pretty much just decided that $700 is what a new phone should cost now?

Watch how fast I become an early adopter of technology.

drat. lenovo just straight cratered moto. I thought i'd be a longer timeline, but nope.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Hopefully will grab a 6p once they start getting down to $200-300.

This is pretty much my plan as well. My N6 is performing well enough for now that I'm certainly in no rush (he said before dropping it in a puddle or something tomorrow).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don't forget that you're giving up a year of support when you up a year-old phone. I mean, there's nothing wrong with making that tradeoff, but just remember that you are making it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Farchanter posted:

Really liking mine but likely going to be a repeat of my Droid Turbo update-wise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thermopyle posted:

Don't forget that you're giving up a year of support when you up a year-old phone. I mean, there's nothing wrong with making that tradeoff, but just remember that you are making it.

I don't have a whole lot of choice. My phone was completely submerged for an extended period and luckily the only casualty was the power button, but the shop I took it to said the interior screws are rusted out, so if my phone ever turns off, I'm poo poo out of luck (exacerbated by the fact that I can't manually power off the screen, so I waste tons of battery).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Toshimo posted:

HP Elite x3 :q:

6" screen
4100 mAh battery

Oh wait, you said cool. Nevermind. (It's a Windows phone :lol: )

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
As a former Droid Maxx user, I'd be very wary of Verizon exclusive Moto phones.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I believe the Moto G4 Plus 64GB is on sale today for $250 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-4th-Gen-Unlocked/dp/B01DZJFWNC

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 23, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As a current Motorola user, I would be wary of any Motorola phone you intend to keep more than a year.

I still think their hardware is pretty good, but they can't be relied upon for updates.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I think waiting a year works out decently. I got a Moto X 2014 cheap in 2015, then a Nexus 6 cheap same time you did. Hopefully will grab a 6p once they start getting down to $200-300.

I got mine for $375 three or four months ago, so I would imagine you'll start seeing them near your price range soon.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

No one ever talks about Zenfones. I don't know how they stack up to Motos or whatever but my Zenfone 2 was cheap and I seriously thought it was a great phone. The Zenfone 3 just came out and if I needed a new phone for $300 I'd buy it. Worth checking out, and my phone was updated constantly, like every 2 weeks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

No one ever talks about Zenfones. I don't know how they stack up to Motos or whatever but my Zenfone 2 was cheap and I seriously thought it was a great phone. The Zenfone 3 just came out and if I needed a new phone for $300 I'd buy it. Worth checking out, and my phone was updated constantly, like every 2 weeks.

That's very cool, I considered the Zenfone 2 but made an awful decision instead. (Galaxy S6)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's very cool, I considered the Zenfone 2 but made an awful decision instead. (Galaxy S6)

I'm so sorry

(I have an S5, I miss the Zenfone)

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So are Samsung still as lovely as ever? I've been looking at eventually getting an S6 or S7 (maybe Edge, maybe not) when my Z3 Compact finally dies.

Main things I want are a battery life that's not horrible (Z3C can easily go a couple of days with light use) and a device that isn't constantly laggy. Ideally I'd want something not as expensive as a Samsung, but if it's a 'buy it once and it lasts for a few years' I don't mind much.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

... Zenfone 3?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I don't have a whole lot of choice. My phone was completely submerged for an extended period and luckily the only casualty was the power button, but the shop I took it to said the interior screws are rusted out, so if my phone ever turns off, I'm poo poo out of luck (exacerbated by the fact that I can't manually power off the screen, so I waste tons of battery).

if the proximity sensor still works, you can use an app called gravity screen on/off to...turn the screen on and off. that would help stretch the life of the one you have at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Desk Lamp posted:

As a former Droid Maxx user, I'd be very wary of Verizon exclusive Moto phones.

Droid Turbo 2 is nice. Sure, you're not going to get Nexus like updates but it's still mostly a Moto phone. It's a bigger phone with a big battery so that takes a little adjustment. The biggest adjustment was getting used to the screen. It's that shatterproof crap but it means its... thicker or something.