Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Jerkface posted:

A dev announced PVP tournaments coming in the next 2 weeks and also that they are working on ships

Arena is enough PVP for me, I have no idea why this is coming really, I don't mind fighting broken Palp/Wiggs teams for a small window each day, being forced to do it in another event sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

oops wrong forum posted:

Arena is enough PVP for me, I have no idea why this is coming really, I don't mind fighting broken Palp/Wiggs teams for a small window each day, being forced to do it in another event sucks.

Yeah, I'm super disappointed that instead of getting a cool droid raid, we're getting a very not fun sounding PVP mode.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Called it...

It depends on what the rewards are for the PVP thing. Hopefully they are something actually good, and worth the time we might spend on it. I like the PvP content in this game, so I am looking forward to it

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
Cool, a PvP tournament. Somewhere else Palp can have an unfair advantage over those who didn't do the event.

So it turns out you have to complete tier 1 of the health mod challenge AND defense mod challenge to make 4 pip mods appear in shipments. If you complete tier 2 then 5 pips can appear. And completing tier 3 will increase the chance of 5 pips appearing. This information was taken from the in-game mail they sent me.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

things have been getting better, let's hope this is another good thing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Dr. Venture posted:

Cool, a PvP tournament. Somewhere else Palp can have an unfair advantage over those who didn't do the event.

So it turns out you have to complete tier 1 of the health mod challenge AND defense mod challenge to make 4 pip mods appear in shipments. If you complete tier 2 then 5 pips can appear. And completing tier 3 will increase the chance of 5 pips appearing. This information was taken from the in-game mail they sent me.

What? I thought you had to complete tier 1 of all the challenges. Are you sure its only those 2? If so I will try to do that

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
PVP tournament sounds awesome. Assuming they keep it sharded rather than just lumping everyone in together. I hope we'll see a new character as part of the prize structure, maybe Jedi Luke? Hopefully it's not just more raid gear and crystals, that's a bit boring.

bdwvdc
Dec 2, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EA_Jesse posted:

And one more thing: in addition to this update, the development team has already been hard at work on our biggest update yet which will feature (wait for it)…
Ships! *drops mic*
:shepspends:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

So we'll make this PvP tournament, right, and we'll have them fight through, I dunno, let's say twelve rounds of battles against other people's arena teams, and fights will naturally get increasingly difficult as you go on, okay? It'll be like one long campaign. War on a galactic scale, if you will.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Spakstik posted:

So we'll make this PvP tournament, right, and we'll have them fight through, I dunno, let's say twelve rounds of battles against other people's arena teams, and fights will naturally get increasingly difficult as you go on, okay? It'll be like one long campaign. War on a galactic scale, if you will.

It'll basically just be arena except bigger prizes weekly instead of smaller ones daily. I can't really think what they could do to make it more dynamic but still be 'pvp'. Unless each tournament has a gimmick or a restricted character set. Ultimate Jawa fighting!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Thy talked about rounding out your roster as a way of preparing for the tournament which could certainly indicate some character restrictions. That would be much more interesting than who has the fastest st han.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Current: fair because only a couple people can post 2M damage. Same people win every time. We can't change because the top is very concerned about fairness for those at the bottom.

FFA: unfair because more people would post 2M damage. Different people fill up board based on chance.

I guess I'll just get on the P1 train since the status quo is too strong.

Edit - i honestly don't care. The bad game design makes this stupid raid impossible to be made fair.

Ffa was terrible when we tried it. Maybe 10-15 people in total got to actually see the rancor. I understand it can get frustrating since the games reward system is set up like a competition. This has been the most fair and reasonable solution we have tried so far.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Vulpes posted:

It'll basically just be arena except bigger prizes weekly instead of smaller ones daily. I can't really think what they could do to make it more dynamic but still be 'pvp'. Unless each tournament has a gimmick or a restricted character set. Ultimate Jawa fighting!

I was mostly just joking that we essentially already have two PvP modes, but I like the idea of a character-restricted arena. In keeping with past events, it'll probably be for a bunch of character sets that I don't have (still chasing rebels and smugglers)

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Jerkface posted:

What? I thought you had to complete tier 1 of all the challenges. Are you sure its only those 2? If so I will try to do that

I don't really know how to post pretty pictures but here are snapshots of the 2 mails they sent me:

http://i.imgur.com/hIPGMZ5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KZrVkaY.jpg

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

dandaman posted:

things have been getting better, let's hope this is another good thing

This. Let's wait and see. Can't say I am much excited for either though, ships especially have the biggest potential to suck :( Though the pvp tournament thing might be fun if there are character restrictions or some special buffs and such.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 23, 2016

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
Character restrictions were something I hadn't considered, but I love the idea. I'd also be happy with the rewards being as simple as cuffs and syringes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dr. Venture posted:

Character restrictions were something I hadn't considered, but I love the idea. I'd also be happy with the rewards being as simple as cuffs and syringes.

I'm going to totally dominate the Night Sister bracket.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Hughlander posted:

I'm going to totally dominate the Night Sister bracket.

We shall see about that !

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Most pf us have a long way to go for 7* han so I don't see the problem with a delayed new raid.

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002
Ships could be amazing. I can think of three implementation right now that I'd love.

However, this is F2P and CG/EA. So I expect it will be a tiered grind that requires both Cantina AND Regular Energy and is gated on crystals for more than 1/day attempt. Oh, and you can buy a Star Destroyer for $300.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I would like to personally thank everyone running Nightsister teams.

I'd be into ships as something that would keep me playing but they're going to have to, at some point, add another pool of energy because players, even those who pay regularly, are going to get tired of having to choose which element of the game they get to play due to the shared energy pools.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Primary reason why I don't buy energy is that you can often multi-sim 10 or 20 times and get nothing.

If they took the RNG out of rewards then people would probably spend more.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Primary reason why I don't buy energy is that you can often multi-sim 10 or 20 times and get nothing.

If they took the RNG out of rewards then people would probably spend more.

I would be pretty ok if they gave you pieces of items, so like 1/5 of a purple item per run or something like that. The RNG in this game is so goddamn frustrating.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The "pubbies welcome" type guild I joined just to see how it all works definitely sucks and hardly ever even finishes activities. Added myself to the goon spreadsheet; it sounds like GGA has/had the most open spaces but I'm not sure who on there would be around enough to try to get an invite from. :iiam:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 24, 2016

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

mushroom_spore posted:

The "pubbies welcome" type guild I joined just to see how it all works definitely sucks and hardly ever even finishes activities. Added myself to the goon spreadsheet; it sounds like GGA has/had the most open spaces but I'm not sure who on there would be around enough to try to get an invite from. :iiam:

IGD looks like we have an inactive, we might have room for you, do you have at least one 7* character?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Sadly nope, still too new for that, just hit level 40. :)

Spoz
May 25, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

Sadly nope, still too new for that, just hit level 40. :)

Don't let that stop you! There are a few characters that are really easy to 7* although their effectiveness might not be amazing. I want to say Biggs is probably the easiest to mass obtain shards for?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Spoz posted:

Don't let that stop you! There are a few characters that are really easy to 7* although their effectiveness might not be amazing. I want to say Biggs is probably the easiest to mass obtain shards for?

And also he's extremely good late game. GGA might be a better fit though because you could actually participate in raids.

Also, anyone that has dreamed of getting in IGD, we have someone who is very close to 7 days of inactivity (he's at over 6 days) -- which is when I boot them. Any interest?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Malgrin posted:

And also he's extremely good late game. GGA might be a better fit though because you could actually participate in raids.

Also, anyone that has dreamed of getting in IGD, we have someone who is very close to 7 days of inactivity (he's at over 6 days) -- which is when I boot them. Any interest?

Me me me....oh wait

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Credit heist is up again. I got the 10 mil payout again (plus a 2.5). Once again, out of training droids, plus out of crappy characters to promote (did resistance pilot this time). For the first time in months, my characters button doesn't say 3+ on it!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

two_step posted:

Credit heist is up again. I got the 10 mil payout again (plus a 2.5). Once again, out of training droids, plus out of crappy characters to promote (did resistance pilot this time). For the first time in months, my characters button doesn't say 3+ on it!

Thanks for the heads up. Wouldn't have noticed it otherwise!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I've gotten 2.5 every time I've cleared Tier 4 the past 4 times. RNG please. :effort:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Jerkface posted:

I've gotten 2.5 every time I've cleared Tier 4 the past 4 times. RNG please. :effort:

same except one time I got 1.5, so count your blessings I guess

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Gonna double post here with my thoughts on mods.

1. Obtaining mods. As things stand now, I don't feel that spending cantina energy on mod challenges is worth it. For the past few weeks I have been instead buying mods from the mod store. Thanks to the improved income from the credit heist, dropping 2-3 million on a good mod feels worthwhile. Refreshing shipments is also pretty inexpensive, at only 15 crystals. The key is to know what to look for in a mod.

2. What to look for. By far the most valuable trait on a mod is speed. Here's how I assess mods in the store:
a. is the mod a speed primary arrow mod: buy it regardless of quality.
b. Is the mod a 4 or 5 dot non-arrow showing speed as a secondary: probably buy it depending on the primary.

3. Mod upgrading. When a mod is upgraded to level 3, 6, 9, and 12, it will gain or upgrade a secondary trait. For white mods, this will always result in a new secondary being added at each interval. For green mods (one visible secondary), 3 secondaries will be added and the existing secondary will be upgraded. For blue mods (two secondaries), two will be added and 2 will be upgraded. And so forth. An important factor here is that that for blue and above, the secondary upgraded can be the same one multiple times. It's possible for the same secondary on a gold mod to be upgraded four times, which could result in more than 20 total speed. On the other hand, speed might never get upgraded. An interesting side effect is that on green mods, the visible secondary is guaranteed to get upgraded one time, meaning that a green mod with a speed secondary is your most reliable chance to get +10 secondary speed.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
For people who aren't noticing when Credit Heist / Droid Smuggling goes live, for me at least every time they have come up I also get a popup about the Scoundrel Pack at the same time.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Thanks for the info, I think I finally understand this stupid lovely system. God I hate mods.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
16 hours left on the raid bit we look like we're in trouble over at QGJ. 34 active players, 31 on the board and of those only 2 haven't landed hits yet.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
If anyone has lots of 7* heroes and wants to get in on a tier 7 raid pls come help us. We finished our last T7 too fast but for some reason we run into trouble this time?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Who did I piss off to get not one but two Teebo/RG/Rey teams in GW today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Some of the pvp stuff got datamined, there are level brackets, no faction restrictions(it seems), you can set a separate defensive squad and the rewards include raid gear.