Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
If things tie back to Feral's sacrifice and we're going with the premise that this douche bag has a superpower I had a thought in my insomniacs haze. Feral's trying to do good by replacing people's organs. This upsets Alison a lot because Feral's strapped to a table in agony in order to save lives. So what would upset her more than if Rand Paul McGalt here can heal people but chooses not to because he doesn't want to be bothered by sick people?

Or he could just be a rich rear end in a top hat. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Brought To You By posted:

I actually have no idea what this means but it sound ominous.

Sorry, "Maybe Max's power is that he can force everyone to do the right thing," i.e. proper mind control, which Patrick doesn't actually have - this would explain why he wouldn't have been killed.

Carrasco posted:

At the level of abstractness we're operating at here, it might as well be. We're missing so much information (what Alison saw, what information Alison requested/got from her doctor, what Alison is even asking him to do) that this is just an perfectly spherical ethical argument in a frictionless vacuum.

I agree it's not good writing but on the other hand at least there's hope the general plot is going somewhere more interesting than "stab the rapists/don't stab the rapists" or "Dashcon the comic" :shrug:

I mean yeah, being honest I don't think the comic is actually going somewhere as cool as I hope, but

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Axiem posted:

Sadly, though, the discussion here on that topic is being done in a far better manner than the comic is.

Well, to be fair the discussion here is being conducted by dozens of people in conversation with one another, while the comic is basically some dude talking about the ideas he has. You shouldn't expect it to aspire to the kind of heights that a prolonged conversation between people can achieve. It's scope of commentary will always be less than the discussion it inspires in people.

quote:

Also, I think this would have been stronger coming right after Feral, instead of having a huge digression into why vigilante killing is bad (or is it?). Not to mention telling us what the actual power is.

I. Kind of disagree? The current overarching theme has been what one ought to do with the powers they have. Feral and Mary have both concluded that their powers should be used to maximize the good in the world. Mary's arc is just a darker version of Feral's. Punishing criminals that the justice system did not punish is, by all technical accounts, a good thing. Her judgment might be faulty, but she's acting with the same intents that Feral is: she wants to do good with what she's got. Their difference is that Feral chose a constructive solution, whereas Mary chose a destructive one.

quote:

It occurs to me. She rips up the check from the guy who she doesn't like right now instead of funding her program that could help lots of people; but she's perfectly cool with using the information provided by that very same guy to get into an argument with someone over how he should help people even if he doesn't like it.

That feels very inconsistent to me.

Which is a really great thing, that I hope someone might get her to think about! She spends so much time telling other people how to fix the world, only to immediately eliminate a chance for her to do just that, all because of shallow pride and hurt feelings. I hope Max says something to get her to realize that, or maybe she goes back to Patrick and he says something. It's a really good plot point for the current arc!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Flesh Forge posted:

Sorry, "Maybe Max's power is that he can force everyone to do the right thing," i.e. proper mind control, which Patrick doesn't actually have - this would explain why he wouldn't have been killed.

Which would also explain why his moral axioms are what they are - although I still doubt that's his power.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Feral's sacrifice is so astonishing in part because it's in no way obligatory. It's so far beyond what is expected of her.

Well it is a little obligatory in the sense that doing it got her out of jail for those people she killed. I would wonder if she'd still do the same if she had the option to go on an inspirational speaking tour instead.

I wonder if they're harvesting her organs on an as-needed basis or if they're just stockpiling just in case. They made it seem like the latter, which kind of makes things more horrifying because organs are a perishable good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Considering she could probably stab a few guys and walk out of there any time she felt like she had given up enough kidneys or pancreases or buttholes

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well it is a little obligatory in the sense that doing it got her out of jail for those people she killed. I would wonder if she'd still do the same if she had the option to go on an inspirational speaking tour instead.

I wonder if they're harvesting her organs on an as-needed basis or if they're just stockpiling just in case. They made it seem like the latter, which kind of makes things more horrifying because organs are a perishable good.

There are never enough donor organs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It would probably take them a while to clear the backlog of people who need organs, and even once you get through the dire cases there are going to be lots of people who would benefit greatly from a transplant even if they don't need one right now (I think people can live for a long time on dialysis, for example, while a transplant would effectively cure them). I suppose eventually they might get to the point where there are not people actively dying for the want of an organ and then they could scale back to just taking her organs our weekly or whatever was needed.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Ashcans posted:

It would probably take them a while to clear the backlog of people who need organs, and even once you get through the dire cases there are going to be lots of people who would benefit greatly from a transplant even if they don't need one right now (I think people can live for a long time on dialysis, for example, while a transplant would effectively cure them). I suppose eventually they might get to the point where there are not people actively dying for the want of an organ and then they could scale back to just taking her organs our weekly or whatever was needed.

As soon as Feral gets through the backlog she is going to be up to her neck in lesbians whose life she saved with an organ donation so I guess there's that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I, uh, I would like to read that comic :kiddo:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jokes about getting her inside them mandatory.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There are never enough donor organs. 22 people die in the US every day while on the list. Someone's added to the list every ten minutes, too, which is 144 people per day. If it's practical to transport Feral's organs across the planet with a low enough risk of rot, then expand those numbers to fit worldwide. That's just the people who are deemed healthy enough to make it onto the list to begin with, too. On top of that, Feral's organs have no risk of rejection, which means that the many, many patients who are denied access because they're at high risk of rejecting the transplant would be able to get on the list, too.

The entire point is that Feral is working literally 24/7 in the best way possible to save as many lives as she is capable of, doing the most selfless thing philosophically possible, and it's still so massively inadequate that she'll never be able to stop.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

blastron posted:

The entire point is that Feral is working literally 24/7 in the best way possible to save as many lives as she is capable of, doing the most selfless thing philosophically possible, and it's still so massively inadequate that she'll never be able to stop.

aw

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, going by the numbers given, she is capable of donating at least 83 organs a day, 113 if they meant that a full set of kidneys can be harvested each day, and god knows how much more it makes when you take into account how you don't need a full liver for each transplant. That...seems like it'd make a dent. She, by herself can more than equal the daily capacity of the entire country's organ donors put together (80), so if at least163 donations are made a day while 144 names get added to the list--that'll do it.

I thought that not every organ would be a match for every person who needs a transplant, but I guess I forgot about the fact that her organs are magical and work with everybody. I don't think you could get around the whole deal where children can't take some adult-sized organs though. I feel like it's really implausible for these weird mutant organs to have no further complications, but that's what it's written as, a panacea at the cost of perpetual pain for one person.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But what if all her organs are secretly being shipped to a clandestine cannibal restaurant

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I hope that his power is that he can draw energy from static electricity to create batteries or some other dumb John Galt like thing.

"[b posted:

Flesh Forge[/b]" post="464551044"]
But what if all her organs are secretly being shipped to a clandestine cannibal restaurant

Hrmmmmmmmm.

Interesting post / username combo here

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 23, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I hope that his power is that he can draw energy from static electricity to create batteries or some other dumb John Galt like thing.

Maybe he can see the invisible hand of the free market.

Or he poops Rearden metal.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, going by the numbers given, she is capable of donating at least 83 organs a day, 113 if they meant that a full set of kidneys can be harvested each day, and god knows how much more it makes when you take into account how you don't need a full liver for each transplant. That...seems like it'd make a dent. She, by herself can more than equal the daily capacity of the entire country's organ donors put together (80), so if at least163 donations are made a day while 144 names get added to the list--that'll do it.

I thought that not every organ would be a match for every person who needs a transplant, but I guess I forgot about the fact that her organs are magical and work with everybody. I don't think you could get around the whole deal where children can't take some adult-sized organs though. I feel like it's really implausible for these weird mutant organs to have no further complications, but that's what it's written as, a panacea at the cost of perpetual pain for one person.

If the supply of donor organs was greater we would put more people on the list for them. The reason only 144 people are added each day is because donor organs are a scarce resource, not everyone that could benefit from a donor organ gets a shot at one because we don't want to waste organs on people who might die anyway or reject the treatment.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hahaha, holy poo poo that is a ham handed.... analogy?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loooooooooool this comic is amazing

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
what the hell is this even an analogy for?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:qq: "Boo hoo I have a superpower but it's only useful if I work together with other people and I love my life too much to do that boo hoo I'm not special boo hoo" :qq:

gently caress off.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well he's about to get told off but lol

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So besides the obvious ways in which this is dumb, the idea of power amplifying really doesn't make sense with the way superpowers have been presented so far. Despite the occasional nod to some kind of tier system and the vague mention of powers "getting worse", almost every power we've seen is basically absolute and without limit. Alison at least once threw something so hard it achieved escape velocity, the teleporter guy apparently has no restrictions on range or number of teleports, Pintsize can go subatomic, Patrick's mindreading is more thorough than any other psychic I can think of in fiction, Moonshadow's illusions are already perfect...and then there's everyone in the ADA. Does he just touch Dog Guy and he turns into more of a dog?

And what the hell would happen if he touched Cleaver?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What loving horseshit.

Seriously, what a load of crap.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-83-2/

Hahaha! You win this round, comic, you made me laugh.

I just enjoy the objectivist libertarian rich spoiled brat douchebag getting a power that is purely selfless in nature.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wow this is so much better than I hoped for :suspense:

e: Rather than be able to help anybody, anywhere, do anything I personally could not, I would rather loving die :suspense: WHAT NEXT COMIC WHAT NEXT :suspense:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

If there really is a conspiracy killing the helpful superpowered people, how is this guy not dead. Whoever predicted it's because he's such a jerk I hope you aren't right

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This is amazing because that's pretty much the best and most useful single superpower anybody could ever have in a world like this.

Carrasco posted:

So besides the obvious ways in which this is dumb, the idea of power amplifying really doesn't make sense with the way superpowers have been presented so far. Despite the occasional nod to some kind of tier system and the vague mention of powers "getting worse", almost every power we've seen is basically absolute and without limit. Alison at least once threw something so hard it achieved escape velocity, the teleporter guy apparently has no restrictions on range or number of teleports, Pintsize can go subatomic, Patrick's mindreading is more thorough than any other psychic I can think of in fiction, Moonshadow's illusions are already perfect...and then there's everyone in the ADA. Does he just touch Dog Guy and he turns into more of a dog?

You're thinking about this the wrong way, it's not that he could make the top-shelf dudes more top shelf, it's that he could take the people with the really garbage powers and make them awesome. The guy who can heat a cup of water 1 degree. The girl who can only bend a paperclip with her scrawny telekinesis. The person of unspecified gender who can make one potted plant grow 2 millimeters if they focus on it really hard for an hour. The sentient gas cloud in a glass jar who can see 20 seconds into the future. The comic established earlier there are A LOT of these people.

e: but there's no way Mulligan will take it that direction :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Stormgale posted:

If there really is a conspiracy killing the helpful superpowered people, how is this guy not dead. Whoever predicted it's because he's such a jerk I hope you aren't right

His power is useless alone. If you eliminate those who have useful powers, then he cannot boost anyone with useful powers.

I suppose he could help Superman crank a few more gigawatts out of that dynamo, sure, but...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Carrasco posted:

He didn't say he enhanced other supers' powers. He just makes other people stronger. Presumably could give the normals some extraordinary power for a while.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What's worse than this page is the fact that for a brief moment I convinced myself that this comic was actually going to attempt to tell an interesting story.

"I wanted to have my own power but instead I have an aoe strength buff :qq:" "I hate the idea of helping others selflessly"

gently caress this guy. For a panel or two I thought he didn't have any super powers and was just some news case about one of many people who wanted powers and fell into depression when they didn't have any. Anything would have been more interesting than this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

"I hate the idea of helping others selflessly"

"The thought of it literally brings me to tears!! :qq:"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay, so that is actually pretty good. Also, his eyes have the ability to turn so that's also a really nifty power.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
this better go somewhere good

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Why am I still reading this comic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God dammit, you could have given him some more widely beneficial ability and made this a way more interesting argument between his point of view and Allison's, but no, you had to go back to the "He is a selfish Objectivist" well for no reason.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Every time these big twists happen I hope that it's going to be gloriously stupid so I can get a rush of excitement and expectation seeing what's gonna happen.

Lately the big reveals are tepid and it's killing what remains of my enthusiasm for the comic. It's unfun but not enough to make it worth reading negatively.

That said, I think Max might have sworn off helping people with his power because less because he's a rich objectivist rear end in a top hat, and more because of the crushing disappointment of having a unexciting power.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 23, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Rather than be able to help anybody, anywhere, do anything I personally could not, I would rather loving die

Ahahaha I left this as a comment on today's page and they deleted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Galvanik posted:

That said, I think Max might have sworn off helping people with his power because less because he's a rich objectivist rear end in a top hat, and more because of the crushing disappointment of having a unexciting power.

If I got that power I would literally take over the world with it. Even his big complaint "oh man I got a lovely power" if he had even a tiny shred of empathy (if any of the characters ever had a tiny shred of ordinary human empathy rather than being ethics 101 analogies) he'd realize gosh, maybe there's other people with crappy powers too and maybe they're disappointed like me, maybe they'd want to be my pal and help me take over the world

But then I don't have a big hole in my brain where normal human emotions go :shrug:

e: it would require really hard skills though like
- making friends
- talking to people
- trusting people
- understanding other people's feelings and goals
- being satisfied helping someone else reach their goals (and with a big enough selection of people you can probably find someone with similar goals so this isn't even that selfless)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 23, 2016

• Locked thread