Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kaza42 posted:

Wouldn't fighting Norscans be SUPER frustrating as dwarfs? Especially early game before you get nice artillery?

I tried that mod and it's actually really easy because marauders have no basically armor and get torn to shreds by quarrelers. The only thing you really need to be cognizant of is protecting your flanks from dogs and horsemen which is as simple as turning a unit or two of quarrelers to face those directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What are some good formations for use in multiplayer? Singleplayer is fun, but it breeds bad habits with regards to formations, since it is as easy as "make frontline longer than opponent, envelop, then smash with cavalry."

I'm looking at stuff with Orcs, and I'm wondering how well a deep formation would work. Since the Orcs heavy hitters have little missile resistance, I'm thinking about putting a Goblin squad or two in front to soak up enemy fire, while keeping the front narrow to mitigate damage to the heavy hitters. Punch a hole through the main line and exploit gaps to isolate enemy forces, and then harass enemy flankers with spider cavalry.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So random question: is it ever really worth it to take shield infantry over GW infantry? Like given two units of equal tier (say, Chaos Warriors or Grave Knights), it seems like the only thing shields do is provide a chance to deflect ranged attacks from the front - they don't seem to get extra armour or melee defense or anything and it just seems like the damage/AP provided by great weapons has more utility.

Depends on the race you're playing. Empire Greatswords are killer infantry but take two turns to build and a tier 4 non-military building to produce in campaign. They pretty much require you to get that charge bonus for them to be "worth it" compared to swordsmen, and you're also paying a lot (almost 2x the cost) for armor-piercing which often isn't necessary and added vulnerability to ranged fire. Generally speaking, swordsmen are better in campaign because you can just throw so many of their brave, capable, and cheap bodies at enemies faster and without specialized provinces.

Of course, most higher-ranked units are armored, so great weapons are better used against higher tier armies.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

jokes posted:

Depends on the race you're playing. Empire Greatswords are killer infantry but take two turns to build and a tier 4 non-military building to produce in campaign. They pretty much require you to get that charge bonus for them to be "worth it" compared to swordsmen, and you're also paying a lot (almost 2x the cost) for armor-piercing which often isn't necessary and added vulnerability to ranged fire. Generally speaking, swordsmen are better in campaign because you can just throw so many of their brave, capable, and cheap bodies at enemies faster and without specialized provinces.

Of course, most higher-ranked units are armored, so great weapons are better used against higher tier armies.

If we're talking Empire or Dwarfs campaign, you also have easy access to cheaper and faster to build Handgunners/Thunderers. I would definitely recommend guns over great weapons vs. Chaos b/c you'll retain more killing power as your infantry get munched by theirs. Versus VC I think great weapons are a more reasonable choice since their flyers make shooting a risky proposition.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Arcsquad12 posted:

What are some good formations for use in multiplayer? Singleplayer is fun, but it breeds bad habits with regards to formations, since it is as easy as "make frontline longer than opponent, envelop, then smash with cavalry."

I'm looking at stuff with Orcs, and I'm wondering how well a deep formation would work. Since the Orcs heavy hitters have little missile resistance, I'm thinking about putting a Goblin squad or two in front to soak up enemy fire, while keeping the front narrow to mitigate damage to the heavy hitters. Punch a hole through the main line and exploit gaps to isolate enemy forces, and then harass enemy flankers with spider cavalry.

It's pretty flexible. I use multiple lines of infantry with rear guard cavalry as a generic composition. You can use very wide formations that are meant to envelope the enemy, you can have flank guards with units that can either flank or go rear charge the enemy. Really depends on what you're up against and what you're using.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was thinking GW vs shields in terms of the campaign - I know cost effectiveness is a big deal in MP but I find in campaign cost is less of a factor than the 20 unit per army cap.

On a related note, do you specialize your armies in campaign for specific roles or just have a single general setup you prefer? I'm never really sure what to do with artillery which is great in theory and super helpful during sieges, but in open field battles the AI likes to just charge its whole army at once into a big melee blob so art barely gets any shots off before it runs into "shot obstructed" issues.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yukitsu posted:

What I've noticed is that most players don't custom make their army for each match, they simply have a bunch of pre-made saved armies that they use come hell or high water, so a lot of people on quick match can be beaten by dwarves due to a lack of dedicated anti-dwarf builds. It's really, really hard to beat anyone that makes their army from scratch before each match and keeps in mind that they are against dwarves however.

They're definitely at the bottom right now but it's not as though they're down there by a huge margin. The gap between them and the Empire which is probably the strongest faction is a bit wide but they're pretty close to Chaos, Beastmen and Brettonia. I think orcs are currently their worst matchup due to a great mix of units that work well against dwarves but it may actually be undead that counter them hardest due to summoning poo poo in their back lines.
How would a Dwarven army win over a VC army, lots of Irondrakes or something? The only magical attack I had to ward off your Wraiths were the Runesmith's damage rune, and if I had taken him, Thorgrim Grudgebearer's magic weapon.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jokes posted:

Greatswords are generally more elite troops and significantly heavier armored, better attack, and higher damage than swordsmen. Same goes for black orcs compared to regular boys. They are good at crumping pretty much all comers in melee due to their high stat lines and extreme armor penetration. If you can swing it, having 2-3 in an army as an auxiliary/linebreaker is considered a good idea.

Great weapons on dwarves on the other hand are kind of questionable, especially great weapon warriors/longbeards. By and large they don't do any more damage than their standard weapon breatheren (and in some cases less, depending on how much tech tree development you have) but do it all in AP. They have nearly identical statlines (hand weapons have a bit more defense, great weapons have more offense) but the great weapons generally cost a fair spot more. Unless you are expecting to fight a lot of heavy armor (chaos, other dwarves) you generally want to take a pass on great weapons as shielded units are a bit more durable to ranged fire and chop up unarmored infantry just as well.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ZearothK posted:

I'd think Quarrellers would make short work of Marauder Horsemen most of the time.

Yeah, Quarrelers destroy all ranged cavalry.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Great weapons on dwarfs are for when you're fighting chaos/vc, since they don't have any ranged and will take armored AP units against you. So you take warriors/longbeards with great weapons as your line, but maybe take them with shields against empire/greenskins/beastmen, because they have worthwhile ranged and inferior infantry.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

How would a Dwarven army win over a VC army, lots of Irondrakes or something? The only magical attack I had to ward off your Wraiths were the Runesmith's damage rune, and if I had taken him, Thorgrim Grudgebearer's magic weapon.

Runesmiths are pretty key, having a small number of missile units but not focusing on artillery is a good idea and just having troops that can effectively tank through anything the undead can hit you with until you've taken apart their fast or incorporeal units with the runesmiths and crossbows. Pretty mandatory that you have a defended backline and use the runes to negate damage to your frontline.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I was thinking GW vs shields in terms of the campaign - I know cost effectiveness is a big deal in MP but I find in campaign cost is less of a factor than the 20 unit per army cap.

On a related note, do you specialize your armies in campaign for specific roles or just have a single general setup you prefer? I'm never really sure what to do with artillery which is great in theory and super helpful during sieges, but in open field battles the AI likes to just charge its whole army at once into a big melee blob so art barely gets any shots off before it runs into "shot obstructed" issues.

What you need to learn to make use of is the infamous checkerboard formation - leave gaps in your melee line for artillery and gunners to fire through, placed slightly back from the front line but not too far. Enemies will tend to attack the infantry and not charge through the gaps unless you make the gaps too big, and even once engaged your ranged units can fire into the enveloping flanks of enemy melee troops. Heroes or lords may attempt to charge through the gaps solo so I've got in the habit of positioning my own heroes in front of artillery batteries or gunner - the ranged units can shoot past them, and the heroes draw the attention of the enemy in the gaps.

Ideally my ranged troops and artillery never once suffer being 'obstructed' in a battle and they're almost always my biggest killers.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

What you need to learn to make use of is the infamous checkerboard formation - leave gaps in your melee line for artillery and gunners to fire through, placed slightly back from the front line but not too far. Enemies will tend to attack the infantry and not charge through the gaps unless you make the gaps too big, and even once engaged your ranged units can fire into the enveloping flanks of enemy melee troops. Heroes or lords may attempt to charge through the gaps solo so I've got in the habit of positioning my own heroes in front of artillery batteries or gunner - the ranged units can shoot past them, and the heroes draw the attention of the enemy in the gaps.

Ideally my ranged troops and artillery never once suffer being 'obstructed' in a battle and they're almost always my biggest killers.

I've turned against checkerboard. It's functional yeah, I used it all through a VH campaign, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's totally unnecessary for querrellers with their arcs. Cannons can shoot over lines for most of the fight as well, and single out units that break through once the lines meet. That leaves thunderers as the main beneficiaries, but I don't think that they're great. Very low rate of fire. For AP I prefer cannons and hammerers, or GW longbeards. On the negative side, I find that checkerboard ing leads to much heavier casualties among the front line as they get flanked through the gaps. Additionally, the AI will charge heroes, chariots, and monsters right through the gaps into your squishies.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Smiling Knight posted:

I've turned against checkerboard. It's functional yeah, I used it all through a VH campaign, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's totally unnecessary for querrellers with their arcs. Cannons can shoot over lines for most of the fight as well, and single out units that break through once the lines meet. That leaves thunderers as the main beneficiaries, but I don't think that they're great. Very low rate of fire. For AP I prefer cannons and hammerers, or GW longbeards. On the negative side, I find that checkerboard ing leads to much heavier casualties among the front line as they get flanked through the gaps. Additionally, the AI will charge heroes, chariots, and monsters right through the gaps into your squishies.

It's still very simple, will help you easily gain lots of chevrons on your range, and as you stated, will let you win on very hard. Additionally, early on when you only have poo poo warriors, it's not a big deal if they take a little extra damage.

Also thunderers are great.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't like dwarf but I had a lot of success doing something like this:

code:

W  W___W___W  W
 W Q Q  T   T Q Q  W
W is warriors, Q quarrlers, T thunderers. You throw your reserves/lord/artillery behind that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You aren't playing Dwarfs right if you don't use ridiculously elaborate formations imo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can recommend kitting your Lord out in as much defensive gear as possible and tossing them out front, then broken arrow the poo poo out of him with artillery and all the ranged fire.

But seriously, this works very well if your Lord is heavily armored and you're using non-AP ranged fire like Irondrakes or Mortars.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
This works less well when an errant cannon ball clips your lord and eats a fifth of his health.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Carcer posted:

This works less well when an errant cannon ball clips your lord and eats a fifth of his health.

Hence, I assume, the "non AP ranged fire" part.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kainser posted:

You aren't playing Dwarfs right if you don't use ridiculously elaborate formations imo.

Each clan has it's own ridiculously elaborate formations, which are meticulously recorded in the Book of War. Wars have been fought between dwarf clans when the ownership of particularly elaborate and properly dwarven formations has become disputed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
A dwarven lawyer should descend (in a gyrocopter, obviously) upon you demanding restitution for infringing on the copyright of his clan's favourite battle formation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ahahaha, I just had an early-game siege situation as the Dwarfs escalate in the best possible way: three Greenskin clans sent armies after Karaz-a-Karak on top of a rebellion in the province. However, rebels are always hostile to everything, and if it can't siege the settlement, it'll attack a nearby army. Unfortunately for the Greenskins, they go first in turn order, so when they went to siege my capital, the rebels attacked them. This happened to all three armies, leading the entire assault force and rebellion battered and bruised enough that the garrison and the returning army of Thorgrim could rout them easily despite being outnumbered.

That was so perfectly in character for Greenskins. Orcs are the best, even as enemies!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I use all sorts of formations for greenskins in multiplayer. If you're using a big infantry rush, go wide to envelop but concentrate some heavy infantry (black orcs usually) in the middle so you can snag a good waaugh. Put your big uns on the flanks to fight cavalry and lead with goblins.

If you include a substantial ranged element, you can also use some pretty boxy builds, almost like a dwarf player. Goblin archers are great value for their price and will easily down monstrous units while predictably pulling in enemy cavalry/heroes--make sure you have free big uns nearby. You can do a half-bunker around doom divers if you'd like. They're the best artillery unit in the game for the price. Just make sure you still charge when the enemy gets close.

Another thing I commonly use is a small, heavy force concentrated around a couple giants. You can clump it up against chaos or VC and take advantage of their lack of missile troops and get incredible damage off of waaugh and ere we go.

If you bring cav, you'll want to keep your boar big uns together so they can beat the superior enemy cav and can benefit from a well-placed ere we go. I almost always overload a single flank with them rather than split. I always split wolf riders, though. Both wolves and boars benefit tremendously from waaugh/ere we go.

You may notice a common theme here: extracting value out of ere we go and waaugh is a core element of a proper greenskins build.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 22, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Vox Nihili posted:

I use all sorts of formations for greenskins in multiplayer. If you're using a big infantry rush, go wide to envelop but concentrate some heavy infantry (black orcs usually) in the middle so you can snag a good waaugh. Put your big uns on the flanks to fight cavalry and lead with goblins.

If you include a substantial ranged element, you can also use some pretty boxy builds, almost like a dwarf player. Goblin archers are great value for their price and will easily down monstrous units while predictably pulling in enemy cavalry/heroes--make sure you have free big uns nearby. You can do a half-bunker around doom divers if you'd like. They're the best artillery unit in the game for the price. Just make sure you still charge when the enemy gets close.

Another thing I commonly use is a small, heavy force concentrated around a couple giants. You can clump it up against chaos or VC and take advantage of their lack of missile troops and get incredible damage off of waaugh and ere we go.

If you bring cav, you'll want to keep your boar big uns together so they can beat the superior enemy cav and can benefit from a well-placed ere we go. I almost always overload a single flank with them rather than split. I always split wolf riders, though. Both wolves and boars benefit tremendously from waaugh/ere we go.

You may notice a common theme here: extracting value out of ere we go and waaugh is a core element of a proper greenskins build.
Lookit this humie tryin' ta use fancy "tak-tiks" and "form-ateions". Really green boyz charge in!

(I love Greenskins in MP, they're so much fun)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Branch posted:

Lookit this humie tryin' ta use fancy "tak-tiks" and "form-ateions". Really green boyz charge in!

(I love Greenskins in MP, they're so much fun)

I never got why this thread was so hard on goblins, night goblins are a riot. Yeah the arrows do poo poo damage, but the poison hits anyway.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Goblin spears do surprisingly well when buffed with sneaky stabbing and itchy nuisance.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What quality of life / basic mods are people playing with on the great campaign right now?

Playing v hard / legendary on no aggressive agents, no great power penalty, improved loading screens, better camera mod, prometheus' better traits. May try extra skill points / level unlocker and all settlements having walls next run through. Any other mods that people recommend?

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 23, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
This Kraka Drak mod is one of my favorite I've ever played. Playing viking dwarves constantly fighting against Chaos will probably never get old.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

terrorist ambulance posted:

What quality of life / basic mods are people playing with on the great campaign right now?

Playing v hard / legendary on no aggressive agents, no great power penalty, improved loading screens, better camera mod, prometheus' better traits. May try extra skill points / level unlocker and all settlements having walls next run through. Any other mods that people recommend?

I don't think I'd play without the 2 bonus movement for home terrain mods. I really, really dislike the Benny Hill gameplay you get without it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I turn off active agent activities all the time. I don't care if it's unbalanced or unfair; hell is playing the Dwarfs and having an entirely Greenskin Badlands send their goblin assassins at your entire kingdom forever. It's even worse when there are multiple factions of Greenskins, since they can send even more agents at you.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I was playing Empire yesterday and rolled my way through Brettonia so I could have a solid economic base. But then after annexing Estilea I looked back at the Elector Counts and every single one of the motherfuckers had acquired the 'Imperial Distrust' modifier. What gives? Do they just do that if the Emperor gets too big, or what? It's exceptionally painful because I need to confederate someone to get Franz out.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'm playing a vanilla Empire campaign on legendary and it's fine. If armies run away I just downsize to forces which they'll actually fight. It's also worth noting that decimated Norscan armies aren't such a bad thing; there's a limit to how many stacks they'll create so it's best to just let them raid for a while sometimes. Empire doesn't seem to be too badly affected by agents and I've put out a ton of agents myself. Managing the great power penalty is part of the game imo; makes it interesting to choose between a more diplomatic run (as I've done) or ignoring trade and diplo for a more aggressive strategy. I've not been too badly affected by great power (at -40) because I'm getting positive ratings from existing agreements, thrashing Chaos and the odd bribe. But I carefully stayed at -20 for a long while while teching up and creating relationships before going on a confederation spree. That said, it doesn't seem to suit Dwarfs as much, I can imagine elector counts being irate at Karl Franz for being uppity but the Dwarfs don't seem suited for it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
it may be part of the game but it's a stupid non sensical chore. I get bigger by expanding north and fighting chaos and my established trading partners and long time allies that I have never and will never be aggressive against on the literal other side of the map stop liking me altogether? all at once for no reason just based on how many towns I take, while razing the entire world to the ground is fine ? great mechanic

having your walls destroyed and characters killed by a never ending swarm of level 20+ goblin big bosses is part of the game too but gently caress if it's not basically the first thing that was modded out and will continue to be until they figure out a way to make it an enjoyable and challenging part of the game and not a kick to the balls

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dwarfs having such a lovely agent game is also a big culprit in that problem. You need T4-5 settlement buildings to even go above your initial hero cap of one; in comparison, the Empire gets +hero capacity for most of theirs with the same buildings you use to recruit them at T3.

I hope they can get Daemon Slayers as Heroes one day; they can fulfill the assassin archetype while being the more offense-oriented counterpart to Thanes in battle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those of you who have such a horrible time with the agent game or armies always being out of reach really need to play the map better. It's never been an issue, even as dwarfs, you should be able to keep up with thanes and the freebee runesmith alone. When they nerfed the agents it's even a bigger of a non issue with how often they'll critically fail.

If there wasn't the great power penalty as soon as you were more powerful than your immediate neighbor you'd win.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

terrorist ambulance posted:

Here is what I have done on my latest play-through.

Steel Faith Overhaul (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704361604) - The changes he made to dwarfs are awesome.
No march stance (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695510712) - You're gonna come at me, and then run away like a bitch? Ain't happening pussy.
Player army movement boost 25% (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=706354637) - see above
Stupid Campaign Agents - Aggressive AI Begone! (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694189900) - gently caress that subversive poo poo. Come at me like man.
Big Ol' Cheat Mod (only effects the player) (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694207868) - So I can ramp up to elite units faster, and support them with a smaller amount of territories. Its definitely a cheat, but not as game breaking as the name implies. Basically doubles income, and lowers upkeep.
Unstoppable Chaos (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726694736) - So the game is still a challenge with all the above.

I kind of hate that once you beat Chaos in a regular campaign there isn't any challenge left even in very hard. With the above setup I can ramp up fast, and fight against increasingly powerful and endless waves of chaos attacks. I just had to fend off a siege were the AI had basically nothing but two full stacks of chosen and hell cannons. Thank god for Organ guns.

headspace fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 23, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Those of you who have such a horrible time with the agent game or armies always being out of reach really need to play the map better. It's never been an issue, even as dwarfs, you should be able to keep up with thanes and the freebee runesmith alone. When they nerfed the agents it's even a bigger of a non issue with how often they'll critically fail.

If there wasn't the great power penalty as soon as you were more powerful than your immediate neighbor you'd win.

The "lol l2p scrubs" post is made every time someone complains about agents.

Yes, if you protect yourself properly from agents it's bearable. No, it's still not a fun game mechanic. At best it's just a hassle that adds nothing interesting, at worst it ruins a playthrough.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Agents are completely fine but it's such a horribly unfun mechanic that you shouldn't be surprised that people disable it. It's like a really lovely minigame that's very loosely attached to the rest of the game.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The minigame, if you play it, will land you some very powerful heroes by mid-game. It's not something that should be skipped. Coincidentally it'll also allow you to managed the ever running AIs without modding in a free win mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Playing the agents game to build up a powerful agents of your own while impeding your opponents is pretty fun. Scouting with agents is quite effective and important.

• Locked thread