Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SlothfulCobra posted:

So the Khert and it's denizens are real weird.

What, girls don't have thorns in their thingies wherever you're from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GunnerJ posted:

I got the impression that this Jack-the-Ripper-alike was a Black Tongue from this part.

I do suspect that Murkoph is tied into the Black Tongues in some way given how cozy he is with their patron, but that doesn't mean that he's not Ssael. At least in body, that is--Murkoph's depiction matches the classical concept of someone who is soulless, so I'm guessing that Murkoph is what was left over after whatever happened to Ssael. I don't think it will turn out that Duane's been worshipping a cannibal babyfucker, but nor does Ssael seem to have gotten the happy ending that Duane believes in.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd rather not have Murkoph secretly be Ssael but I'd be okay with Murkoph being like, I dunno, the innate darkness within humanity that Ssael shed when he transcended human mortality or whatever, given its own will by the Khert.

Duane's faith is a really important and interesting facet of his character so it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth if all that build up was for the twist that ha ha you actually worship the worst human in history, joke's on you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
From Murk's rambling he's always been a psychopathic rear end in a top hat, but Titbird Goddess is all going "no they made you into a monster" so I dunno. He might be some sort of construct. Perhaps a faulty Duane prototype?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm leaning to the possibility that he didn't actually commit any murders or anything irl, he just got stuck in the septic tank for souls, absorbing all the worst bits until he believed it was all him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GunnerJ posted:

I'm leaning to the possibility that he didn't actually commit any murders or anything irl, he just got stuck in the septic tank for souls, absorbing all the worst bits until he believed it was all him.

Murkoph being a mound of psychic poo poo with delusions of grandeur would be a great reveal, though I doubt that's the case.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Did Murkoph just get metal thorn breast raped by that bird in the last panel??!

what a weird as gently caress comic, utterly relentless.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

That'd be exactly the sort of tragedy that would make "its Cope's favorite pet character she insisted on putting in" make sense as opposed to "just a super edgy psychopath."

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
I learned the word "palimpsest" sometime in high school and thought it was such a lovely poetic word. I think I've seen it about 4 times in my life since then and it always makes the author sound like a high schooler trying to sound lovely and poetic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think it's actually pretty well chosen in this case though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RolandTower posted:

I learned the word "palimpsest" sometime in high school and thought it was such a lovely poetic word.

:crossarms:

It sounds like a medical condition to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

:crossarms:

It sounds like a medical condition to me.

same

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I just found that Ashley did this dope rear end drawing of the last scene in Final Fantasy Tactics and I was like drat, what can't she do.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
update her comic :twisted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

update her comic :twisted:

It'll update next month, on account of Cope getting the shivers if she posts an update without at least a month of buffer.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 3, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It'll update next month, on account of Cope getting the shivers if she posts an update without at least a month of buffer.

imo, she's right. i feel like the pacing in unsounded works a lot better than a lot of the long-form serial comics i follow, e.g. paranatural or dahm's stuff, because posting pages in bursts works a lot better than a slower dribble.

see also: homestuck :)

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

So this comic is updating again, and the latest page is making me ask...uh, are we clear on if the khert is a Consensus Reality or not? Like if everyone in the world believed that Santa Claus was real would he exist in the khert?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like the khert is the sort of thing where you could make something real, but there's also stuff that's always been real and not just retroactively

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I don't think that's ever been implied. The closest thing would be ghosts which are just scrambled memories floating about.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Right, ok. I just wanted to make sure these (patriotic? religious?) fanatics were in fact crazy fanatics.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

Right, ok. I just wanted to make sure these (patriotic? religious?) fanatics were in fact crazy fanatics.

The best conclusion we have regarding all the religious sects in Kasslyne is that they're all wrong, but in different ways. Ilganyag is definitely "real" within the khert, and there's a good bit of evidence that Tirna is manifesting in some way as well (possibly as Sette herself), but everything else about them, Ssael, the Twins, and their intentions is inscrutable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/155651088585/do-waterwomen-as-sexually-reproduce-or-are-there

quote:

The storm people can’t reproduce, otherwise. They were created at all different ages, just like many other senet beasts (Uaid’s body came from a baby mountain ogre, for instance). Senet beasts in general are full of Ideas. They’re sketches, some more successful than others, for concepts that were eventually worked into the khert-driven world. So with the storm people you have the beginnings of this idea of genders, of how their dimorphism might present, how they might all come in different sizes and stages, but no real idea yet how they’d move between stages, how sexual reproduction might come into play, and so on.

I think this explains why Sette doesn't age and has Barbie anatomy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i checked out cope's tumblr and apparently it takes 2 to 2.5 days per comic page :stare:

living that mangaka life i guess

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tollymain posted:

i checked out cope's tumblr and apparently it takes 2 to 2.5 days per comic page :stare:

living that mangaka life i guess

The loving art though.

Unsounded is some seriously brilliant visual poo poo. Like, this entire comic has been a feast for the goddamn eyes. People just consume that poo poo in one glance and go along their merry way but I think that sort of technical prowess is something that needs to be celebrated.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Chapter 12 has begun!

Let me level with everyone, I have completely been thrown out of the loop and have no idea what is going on in the first few pages. I need to go back and reread errything from the beginning.

Motherfucker posted:

The loving art though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

kinmik posted:

Chapter 12 has begun!

Let me level with everyone, I have completely been thrown out of the loop and have no idea what is going on in the first few pages. I need to go back and reread errything from the beginning.

I'm not sure that'll help you much. That's an in media res open, it doesn't directly follow from anything we've seen before. The battle might be "the fighting near Earlstradt" ("The hell are they after-?" "The Alds are following rumours of a hidden construct facility") that Winalis refers to. Or it might just be indicating a general escalation of the cold war. It's definitely Crescians fighting someone.

The current bit is Winalis picking through the ruins of Ethelmik (which was destroyed by the Peaceguard at the end of the last chapter) and whining about how badly everything's blowing up in his face.

I do like that Cope's decided to depict her war between magitek superpowers as Properly Weird™.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
interesting to see somebody who was never properly alive getting starry-eyed at the idea of a heroic death

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tollymain posted:

interesting to see somebody who was never properly alive getting starry-eyed at the idea of a heroic death

Sentiment's a bit tasteless, under the circumstances.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's going to suck when Sonorie gets murdered because she's already pretty fantastic.

So many semicolons...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I only just noticed those dogs are floral print :allears:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

hugedogs ftw

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So I guess Queen Sonorie is literally in bed with an Ald. No wonder there's a coup brewing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Considering her opinions on mining towns, is the queen basically Margaret Thatcher?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I hope Toma falls out of the sky into the middle of this little remembrance ceremony. :allears:

He's probably in prison, being tortured.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Well the last we saw Toma was on a riding dog being carried to safety off a waterfall by Elka, so, hopefully they are out on the road fleeing and possibly looking for medical attention.

More likely they are going to tough it out and try to do something about the treason at hand.

Also, while this look into Cresce is interesting, I am looking forward to seeing what our main cast is up to, since it has been months!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

...so that's where his badge collection went.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I mean I'm bearing with the current arc but I really just wanna see Sette being rude to people who aren't Dwayne.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Has anyone else wondered if Mikaila isn't actually dead?

We know that Bastion was involved in Duane's assassination, considers it botched, and is responsible for un-deading Duane. But we also know he philosophically objects to death, and we've seen him medically assisting total strangers before - both the victims of the Nevergreen fight and Kara, way back in the early chapters. It seems totally out of character for him to have stood by and let Miki bleed to death.

Like, the only person who told Duane anything was Lemuel, and Lemuel's behavior has been suspicious enough that Lemuel may have been involved in the assassination attempt himself. If that was the case, he'd have every reason to lie to Duane so he wouldn't try to go back to his family.

It does seem like whatever Bastion did to bring Duane back wasn't a planned thing - something he did on a last-minute impulse, and he was under the belief that it didn't work. SOMEBODY had to drive him off the scene if that was the case - why else wouldn't he have known about Duane's continued existence?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, I've wondered from time to time if she was stuck in the same situation that Duane is. I mean, she clearly got stabbed, but we don't see her after that, and Lemuel discouraged him from investigating further by saying she was already dead and burnt. Lem also kept him away from his family, so he wouldn't have seen anything that happened there. The narrative also establishes that she is both an innate and a tacit caster, so she qualifies for the same procedure Duane underwent.

Also, at this point it would be really shocking if Lemuel were NOT involved in the assassination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Lemuel was definitely involved in the hit (dude was literally weeping as he watched Duane start the trip back home, he knew what the guy was in for). Mikaila is probably dead too, since Duane saw her successfully cross over into the khert right before Bastion went "lol nope" and yanked him back from the brink, but that's at least a little more ambiguous.

Right now the implied narrative is that Duane was killed to spark a political purge of the Gefendur (with Mikaila being an unfortunate casualty due to an inept assassin), Bastion somehow butted in and used the opportunity to try out his latest resurrective experiments on the corpse, and Lemuel stabbed the hell out of him in retaliation and hid away Duane's undead body. What a clusterfuck.