Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think they actually explained this in the cartoon.

they simply went out and busted them all again in new uniforms because the old uniforms... well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

blackguy32 posted:

On our own is still my favorite Ghostbusters song.

That's a good tune, but only that and Higher and Higher are worthwhile from the GB2 soundtrack. The incidental music in that flick is awful, that meandering background noise common to cheap films.

Ghostbusters '84 had both great songs and great incidental music. I still remember my first Sony Walkman, which had a shoulder strap to wear it by, and I had the cassette of that soundtrack in there for like forever. The Busboys, the Alessi Brothers, Thompson Twins, just gold all the way through.

Interestingly, while I'm "eh" on most of the new films songs when listened to by themselves (especially as there are like 300 remixes/covers of the GB theme in there) they were used really well in the film itself. The Fall Out Boy cover? Would never go out of my way to listen to that, but when they pile in Ecto 1 and the song kicks in it's awesome.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

That's a good tune, but only that and Higher and Higher are worthwhile from the GB2 soundtrack. The incidental music in that flick is awful, that meandering background noise common to cheap films.

Ghostbusters '84 had both great songs and great incidental music.

Yeah. The first movie was scored by Elmer Bernstein, one of the best of the best -- he was the one who scored The Magnificent Seven (you know this tune, right?) and The Ten Commandments among other great works. For the second flick they cheaped out and got Randy Edelman, who mostly did TV and lower-budget movie stuff. They don't make 'em like Elmer anymore.

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 2, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

tacodaemon posted:

Yeah. The first movie was scored by Elmer Bernstein, one of the best of the best -- he was the one who scored The Magnificent Seven (you know this tune, right?) and The Ten Commandments among other great works. For the second flick they cheaped out and got Randy Edelman, who mostly did TV and lower-budget movie stuff. They don't make 'em like Elmer anymore.

While I agree with all of this, I remember when I was writing the music for one of the SA game dev competitions, I actually mostly stole a riff from the GB2 soundtrack. I don't hate the score in that film at all, I actually like it, but yeah, Edelman is certainly no Bernstein.

The game is Psychopomps, from I believe SAGD 7.

Edit: here it is, if anyone's interested. It's the horn riff.

Val's Back:
https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/sa-game-dev-psychopomps-02-vals-back

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 2, 2016

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

they simply went out and busted them all again in new uniforms because the old uniforms... well...

Legit one of the best episodes and gave an in universe explanation for why they now had different colored suits. Love it.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently, in a repeat of Live/Die/Repeat, the film is getting officially retitled for home release to be Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.

It was always called that, though?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Legit one of the best episodes and gave an in universe explanation for why they now had different colored suits. Love it.

It also didn't make as much sense from a production standpoint since why did they need multi-colored suits when their silhouettes were distinct as were their actual heads so you didn't need the multi-colored stuff for kids to tell them apart. Plus having one color would be cheaper for all 4 guys and occasionally Jeanine. Its a good episode though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MrJacobs posted:

It also didn't make as much sense from a production standpoint since why did they need multi-colored suits when their silhouettes were distinct as were their actual heads so you didn't need the multi-colored stuff for kids to tell them apart. Plus having one color would be cheaper for all 4 guys and occasionally Jeanine. Its a good episode though.

I can pull any episode from the first two series with the original voice cast and find a good episode, but 'Ragnarok & Roll' (man proposes to girlfriend, she's not ready, he brings about the end of the world) and 'Knock, Knock' (New Yorkers open a door which explicitly states DO NOT OPEN UNTIL DOOMSDAY and doomsday ensues) are my personal favourites though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always really loved The Devil to Pay where they're on a game show hosted by the actual devil (I think his name is Dib Devlin), but my personal favourite would be 'When Halloween was Forever II' It's a Dave Coulier episode, but whatever; sadly, most are. Anyway, Samhain comes back/escapes the containment unit, takes over the firehouse and turns it into a bizarro, ghost version of it. They have to send Slimer in to blast some 'cornerstone' that would make everything crumble and bring back the original firehall. Something about that duality of 'real version/ghost version' was awesome to me (still is), and seeing how hosed up the place was was pretty neat.

Honourable mention to the episode involving that weird, haunted mansion that was owned by ghosts. I might be misremembering, but it was almost like an old-styled hotel, and I think the owners themselves called the GB, only to reveal themselves as the ghosts. Or maybe they just seemed like the Addams family. I remember there was a vacuum cleaner made out of bones, and a painting that would stare at you, all creepy-like.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 2, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

While I agree with all of this, I remember when I was writing the music for one of the SA game dev competitions, I actually mostly stole a riff from the GB2 soundtrack.

Edit: here it is, if anyone's interested. It's the horn riff.

Val's Back:
https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/sa-game-dev-psychopomps-02-vals-back

That's not all you stole; the opening riff and percussion throughout is straight from "Tom Sawyer."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

That's not all you stole; the opening riff and percussion throughout is straight from "Tom Sawyer."

Ha, wow, well, that at least was stolen subconsciously :smug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One of my favourite episodes is the baseball one. At the end when Winston gets up to bat and the opening few bars of the theme song keep looping, maaaaan so good.

blackguy32 posted:

I'd say my first real experience with hearing and liking rap (would have been 7 at the time) was the bridge from that song:

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold
They're called Ghostbusters and they're in control
Had 'em throwin' a party for a bunch of children
While all the while, the slime was under the building
So they packed up the crew, got a grip came quick
Grabbed the proton packs on their backs, and they split
To battle out Vigo, the master of evil
Try to battle my boys? That's not legal!

Also when I hear the word "spirits" IRL it's hard not to think:

Spirit, some people hear it, some people fear it
Spirit, some people just won't go near it
Sho' as I'm me and the skies are blue
The Ghostbusters are back and all brand new!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lobok posted:

I used this when my brother was complaining about a bad experience on Spirit Airlines

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

One of my favourite episodes is the baseball one. At the end when Winston gets up to bat and the opening few bars of the theme song keep looping, maaaaan so good.

I'd say my first real experience with hearing and liking rap (would have been 7 at the time) was the bridge from that song:

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold
They're called Ghostbusters and they're in control
Had 'em throwin' a party for a bunch of children
While all the while, the slime was under the building
So they packed up the crew, got a grip came quick
Grabbed the proton packs on their backs, and they split
To battle out Vigo, the master of evil
Try to battle my boys? That's not legal!

Also when I hear the word "spirits" IRL it's hard not to think:

Sho' as I'm me and the skies are blue
The Ghostbusters are back and all brand new!

That whole soundtrack will always remind me of when I was 6 and entered a lip-sync contest in elementary school with 'On Our Own'. I had all my moves worked out.

Then, when the time came, I pretty much froze, and of course lost. Cried in the car on the way home.

For years after, I wanted the school to hold another contest, so I could redeem myself. They never did. Then I realized that those contests were pretty stupid when you could have actual bands and singers up there instead. I still hate lip-sync contests :argh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That whole soundtrack will always remind me of when I was 6 and entered a lip-sync contest in elementary school with 'On Our Own'. I had all my moves worked out.

Then, when the time came, I pretty much froze, and of course lost. Cried in the car on the way home.

For years after, I wanted the school to hold another contest, so I could redeem myself. They never did. Then I realized that those contests were pretty stupid when you could have actual bands and singers up there instead. I still hate lip-sync contests :argh:

It's like that time I was at karaoke and I loaded up "Juicy" by Biggie. There was this group of girls outside the door (we were in a private room) who heard the first couple of bars and recognized the song so they all looked at me approvingly, thumbs up, etc.

Then I realized this one particular song in the bar's karaoke library didn't provide lyrics so I bombed it. I guess it's one of those songs where you can sing along perfectly but not sing it yourself. Those girls will never get their hopes up about a white boy ever again.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Well, you passed stage one. Now, you're supposed to let all the anger manifest into whoever bested (or Kathy giffords) you and then try to assassinate them from a book depository building near by.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I watched the film clip. Now I am voting for Trump.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wank posted:

I watched the film clip. Now I am voting for Trump.

Home Alone 2 got me to support Trump.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this movie was loving bad

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Given how long the Capt. Marvel casting announcement dragged on, I almost get the feeling that Marvel might have been seeing how Hemsworth's chemistry was with someone like McKinnon during GB production. If GB turned out to have had a much more positive (or less controversial) pre-release reaction, I could have seen them maybe considering her. Maybe even moreso after she signed on to do a movie with another MCU perfomer (Johanssen) for a Summer 2017 film to build up some more hype around her as a performer before Infinity War/Capt. Marvel.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd hope her bulking exercise ends up more productive than Godot's.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The more recent Capt. Marvel costume could probably be padded a lot more than the traditional WW outfit to make her look physically tougher.

But despite my feelings on her character or the film in general, after seeing GB2016, I could see her as a Capt. Marvel candidate. Marvel tends to appreciate a lot of comedic elements in their movies, so if a director could focus her and keep her from going all wacky in every scene, she'd probably fit in as well as a Rudd, Downey Jr, or Pratt in the MCU. Also, having been in a big effects/action film with something like GB, they might be able to hear some chatter to find if she's comfortable in making those kind of films.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

I'd hope her bulking exercise ends up more productive than Godot's.
It's kinda strange that in this role of a warrior magical princess her body type is still being hassled over. Should all superheroes be buff?

Why can Spider-man be skinny af but stronger than Capt America, but Wonder Woman can't be whatever Gal looks like?

Gal Gadot is actually a solid dancer, and some behind the scenes and interviews with her/trainer show that she's busting her rear end nearly as hard as the boys. She has the physicality.

I do know that she's just another skinny-athletic model looking actress, and that may be a strike against the industry, but she is more than fine with this role.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I get what you're saying, and she's certainly fitter than a lot of actresses, my gripe mainly has to do with the WW depictions I've preferred.

And like I said in the BVS thread, if we're going to use powers as justification then Superman would be hilariously chubby and Batman would be distance-runner levels of lean. Whereas WW is a mythical character (in some renditions -literally- molded to be a godlike figure).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched Ghostbusters last night and it was pretty funny. I enjoyed it. Despite all of the nerds that pooped in their diapers over a female cast, this fact ended up meaning absolutely nothing for the film. They were just characters and they were funny and good. Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't some crazy feminist propaganda it turns out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Watched Ghostbusters last night and it was pretty funny. I enjoyed it. Despite all of the nerds that pooped in their diapers over a female cast, this fact ended up meaning absolutely nothing for the film. They were just characters and they were funny and good. Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't some crazy feminist propaganda it turns out.

Agreed. It wasn't perfect by a long shot but it had some good laughs and it's pretty unique in terms of high budget comedies (that have a majority female cast). I don't hate it but I am annoyed because it obviously could have been much better.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Watched it again still found it funny on round 2. It's flaws feel even less noticeable to me as it moves real quickly. Still feels disjointed at parts, but yeah still p fun for me.

vvv e: A directors cut to clean up some of the character motivations would be nice, but the film that we got is largely fine and entertaining. If only to see how some of those things were meant to tie together.

Also the fall out boy remix is still the worst.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 23, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Watched it again still found it funny on round 2. It's flaws feel even less noticeable to me as it moves real quickly. Still feels disjointed at parts, but yeah still p fun for me.

Yeah there's a good chance I'll watch this again when I can rent it on Google Play or it hits Netflix streaming. I think a Director's Cut would be interesting, too. That said, I don't see myself watching it on like an annual basis like original Ghostbusters.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't know if I said this in this thread or one of the others, but I get the feeling that the movie is going to have some shelf life as a film that gets thrown on for kids to watch on TVs for a few years since its largely inoffensive.

Parents and other people are going to make a big deal in a month or a year about how their kids LOVE the film and they watch it every single day and it sets a great example, etc. Even their costumes are Halloween-ready as they have reflective tape built into the actual design, so it has that going for it. In hindsight, though, I bet the filmmakers wished they'd cut the 'Bitches can't be catching no ghosts" comment from the film because it'll probably keep it out of constant rotation on walls of TVs at your local Walmart for the next several months.

However, after Suicide Squad, GitS, Wonder Woman, Capt. Marvel, the planned Harley Quinn solo film, the Oceans 11 remake, etc., I think that if any/all of them are just generally better received and/or handled than GB2016, you're probably going to see the long-term interest in this movie drop severely.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Well my iTunes pre-order says it's an extended edition with an extra 15 minutes, and "also includes the original theatrical edition", so hopefully in a week or so we'll get to see a version with a little more elbow room.

Imma watch this film a dozen more times though either way.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

Well my iTunes pre-order says it's an extended edition with an extra 15 minutes, and "also includes the original theatrical edition", so hopefully in a week or so we'll get to see a version with a little more elbow room.

Imma watch this film a dozen more times though either way.

Ok, calm down Retarded_Cl... wait a second

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

Ghosbusters: Port of Call New Orleans

I would watch the poo poo out of this

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Parents and other people are going to make a big deal in a month or a year about how their kids LOVE the film and they watch it every single day and it sets a great example, etc.

Normally I'd say that kids aren't even that stupid, but since when has anyone underestimated the stupidity of children?

Or parents, for that matter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Extreme Ghostbusters was pretty good and it's a shame it gets a bad rap due to its stupid name and having a wheelchair guy making it feel like BK Kidz' club.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lurdiak posted:

I think Extreme Ghostbusters was pretty good and it's a shame it gets a bad rap due to its stupid name and having a wheelchair guy making it feel like BK Kidz' club.

Extreme Ghostbusters ruled, yeah. Behind its "lol I'm so edgy u guys it's the 90s" facade, it had some pretty decent writing, and was willing to go some places that kids shows don't always go to. Eduardo used nihilism as a front to cover his insecurities, for example, using extreme pessimism as a means to hide his own fears. They also revisit at least one plotline from The Real Ghostbusters- the only one I can recall is the Grundel.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I'm sorry woke online critics poo poo themselves defending a bad film, but you can let go now. It bombed and you'll get in one round two of yelling "I the person who spent money on internet forum account" when they make the an animated film in two-three years.

Lurdiak posted:

It was extremely bad, but like a lot of children's cartoons luckily you were a child when you saw it and ended up liking it. Outside of the first film, none of them were good, and to be quite frank the first film was only an excellent film because of a pile of happy accidents that can't be duplicated or replicated.

The sooner people realize that lighting doesn't strike twice, the more likely the concept of four people 'busting ghosts can be done again.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 25, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It's Big Hero 6 live action: We're going to be disgraced, depressed heroes out to prove ourselves, hang out with an idiot. They get high tech toys, somebody we think is dead comes back as a villain using science created by the lead character, have those 'science is cool' moments, and then have to jump into another dimension to save someone.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

NutritiousSnack posted:

It was extremely bad, but like a lot of children's cartoons luckily you were a child when you saw it and ended up liking it. Outside of the first film, none of them were good, and to be quite frank the first film was only an excellent film because of a pile of happy accidents that can't be duplicated or replicated.

The sooner people realize that lighting doesn't strike twice, the more likely the concept of four people 'busting ghosts can be done again.

Having recently watched Extreme Ghostbusters, I can say bollocks to that. Though you say "Outside of the first film, none of them were good", and given that I use a Real Ghostbusters image for my avatar, it's safe to say I'm a fan of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

The original Real Ghostbusters cartoon was mostly drat good stuff for the first couple of seasons, with only a few crap episodes, and some that were absolutely brilliant.

From season 3 onwards it was mostly crap, due to problem of channel executives deciding to significantly alter the show despite the fact that it was hugely successful and needed no tampering.

Extreme Ghostbusters was consistently good. 40 episodes, of which only 1 or 2 weren't that great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NutritiousSnack posted:

It was extremely bad, but like a lot of children's cartoons luckily you were a child when you saw it and ended up liking it.

Nah, it was good, you're just a bitter person. I mean it's nothing I'd evangelize to random people as must-watch TV like Breaking Bad, but anyone who thinks the Ghostbusters concept is fun and can tolerate media targeted to younger audiences would appreciate it.

your evil twin posted:

Extreme Ghostbusters was consistently good. 40 episodes, of which only 1 or 2 weren't that great.

That finale was awesome. Getting the band back together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

See, I always thought that EGB would be incredibly stupid, partly because it was XTREME TO THE MAX, but also because it was what ended up being made after Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters, which was unequivocally terrible.

Guess I'll give it a try sometime. Shame it's not included in the Firehouse boxset.

• Locked thread