Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I thought hope side would be too cheesy even for this series, but clearly I underestimated the series' endless capacity for cheese.

I'd expected there to be nothing except students killing themselves for 18~ minutes so for the first time the series has shown a bit of restraint. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Clarste posted:

ZDT is fine as long as you don't go into it with expectations of how it should end based on the previous games.

Last time I'm gonna talk about ZTD in this thread, unless we get Tengan with complex motives but this is very hard to do when the entire point of Virtue's Last Reward was to lead into Zero Time Dilemma.

Anyway I didn't see the episode yet but because I'm an impatient rear end in a top hat who is swamped with work and school, I read the transcript. Now again I have yet to watch it but one thing I really liked about DR3 is Izuru turning out to just be some apathetic dude. In fact his only kill was in self defense when some dude tried to kill him with a loving chainsaw, and even that could be argued to be manslaughter. The fact that he's actively working as the anti Junko is interesting, and I'd say gives a lot more hope to Hajime's future as well. :unsmith:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
So I know DR2 hints that AI Chiaki was made by Chihiro, but this episode seems to heavily imply she's a creation of Izuru's for the sake of what happens in DR2. Which considering the general lack of class 78 even appearing in this anime other then a cameo does seem possible.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

This episode was soooo loving boring holy poo poo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I guess I'm brokebrained because I thought it was a good wrap up to the despair side of things. A lot of stuff got shown that people were asking for and it ends on a good hook for next week.

Only thing that I thought was kind of a bummer was that there was no "hint" for future arc as far as I could pick up on.

E: Clarity sake I wouldn't say it's the best episode, most exciting or whatever but I wasn't really bored during it.

Axle_Stukov posted:

So I know DR2 hints that AI Chiaki was made by Chihiro, but this episode seems to heavily imply she's a creation of Izuru's for the sake of what happens in DR2. Which considering the general lack of class 78 even appearing in this anime other then a cameo does seem possible.

I'm pretty sure this is 100% the case

I imagine him getting in the NWP and having Chiaki inserted solely for the sake of Hinata. Despair Hinata forgot about her when he goes to turn into Izuru, and if Izuru had his memories rewound by the program then there'd be nothing of Chiaki left period. The AI would be a way to keep her in Hajime's thoughts.

He also says that he wants to respect her wishes, so it would only make sense he creates the AI that will save the class after her so she can do just that.

Only odd thing is why would he put Junko's AI in when that was his goal?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 23, 2016

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The episode might have given us a clue that Chisa might have been one of the people behind the killing game in the Future side since she says she wants to keep Munakata alive so that he can eventually be full of despair.

I didn't mind the episode but yeah I was expect some sort of twist that would change things up for the final two episodes.

Also the Nanami AI thing is weird because I might have read it wrong but it sounds like it's sorta implied that Izuru created that AI himself, or at least he already knew she existed but it's weird they skipped that part.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

danganronpa despair 11 - the dissemination of memes

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm pretty sure this is 100% the case

I imagine him getting in the NWP and having Chiaki inserted solely for the sake of Hinata. Despair Hinata forgot about her when he goes to turn into Izuru, and if Izuru had his memories rewound by the program then there'd be nothing of Chiaki left period. The AI would be a way to keep her in Hajime's thoughts.

He also says that he wants to respect her wishes, so it would only make sense he creates the AI that will save the class after her so she can do just that.

Only odd thing is why would he put Junko's AI in when that was his goal?

Izuru just wants to pit Hope (Chiaki) versus Despair (Junko), to see which one is less predictable. He isn't doing it for her feelings, but rather to satisfy his curiosity.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ignis posted:

Izuru just wants to pit Hope (Chiaki) versus Despair (Junko), to see which one is less predictable. He isn't doing it for her feelings, but rather to satisfy his curiosity.

Alternatively, it might've been the only way to get the rest of the despair'd class to go along with it.

or again alternatively, he's izuru and just doesn't give a gently caress

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Also this might be shipper inside of me talking but I kinda hate what they made Mukuro say in this episode in regards to Naegi by calling him a loser and sugesting Junko to kill him. Like I'm not even counting DRIF but in DR0 and DR1 FTEs you can tell she has a soft spot for Naegi and has more of a character besides "my Junko-chan!!!"" so even after the poo poo she pulled in the last episodes since she first appeared you can just say "oh this is the Mukuro who obeys Junko completly and hasn't been together much with the other classmates and Naegi" still a lovely person but someone who does have good inside of her if Junko wasn't around.

Like I don't know japanese so it might be sorta of a translation thing but man did that part make me salty because it just made Mukuro a one-note character when she clearly wasn't one before.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like Chihiro had some involvement in Chiaki's creation, if only because she calls Alter Ego her older brother.

That being said, it is very annoying we never see these two together at all. :argh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not sure if they couldn't/can't be bothered getting back the VAs for the 78th class. Other than the returnees in Future side and Junko/Mukuro, Maizono is the only one with a speaking role.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's almost definitely not a va thing.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

By the way, they confirmed that Kibou-hen is simply the one episode that airs a week from now, and that it's the finale for both parts.

Edit: I suspect it very much is about VAs - not that they couldn't get them, but that they didn't want to pay them. They had a role for Maizono in the future part so they used the actress here too, and that's it.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 23, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SPIKE CHUNSOFT UPDATE

the games are pretty good and you should play them, so this is a good chance if you haven't for some reason.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Although if you haven't experienced the games in one form or another why are reading this post/page!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Some redditor is either very dedicated to his copypasta, or he's really making his college students watch the DR1 anime dub in order to teach them English composition

:psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fanbase for Danganronpa is, in a word, hosed
https://www.docdroid.net/MOegcSt/sayaka-maizono-the-thesis.docx.html

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The fanbase for everything is, in a word, hosed

But seriously what you linked there is pretty terrifying.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Not really sure how requiring students to watch danganronpa of all things doesn't get you put into a sexual predator database, but godspeed to that dude.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah but the anime is bad.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Not really sure how requiring students to watch danganronpa of all things doesn't get you put into a sexual predator database, but godspeed to that dude.

what

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Man, what a disappointing episode. I might even call it... boring.

The experimental brain surgery. The first killing game. The let's-really-really-gently caress-up-Chiaki extravaganza. With all that buildup of extreme stuff, I figured the ritual suicide of the Reserve Course was going to be incredible. And then... I basically get a wet fart. There's a Zero Time Dilemma analogy in here somehow.

I'm still incredibly worried about the following episodes - really, this episode just increased those fears of wet fart endings.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I tried watching despair with my non anime liking friend and then Mikan did the mikan thing and I got the "so that's what you're into" look and I haven't heard the end of it still. I didn't watch the entire dr1 anime, but I'm not sure if it is better.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

this is the most unnecessary thing to ever exist

either this or the kingdom hearts summary

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I tried watching despair with my non anime liking friend and then Mikan did the mikan thing and I got the "so that's what you're into" look and I haven't heard the end of it still. I didn't watch the entire dr1 anime, but I'm not sure if it is better.

It's milquetoast adaptation that's really inoffensive, but also doesn't have anything that makes it worth watching

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:psyduck:

That's some dedication to a character that dies at the beginning of the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
that's brand loyalty for ya.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Welp. Can't say I didn't enjoy Side Despair at times, but boy their lack of planning bit them super hard

Guess I'll just wait for Side: Future to elaborate on the remaining questions like how Nanami got into the New World Program, if it even feels like elaborating at all

Also I'm glad it took a page out of MGS2's book and started talking about memes for a second

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah this episode was only okay. It resolved some things but skimmed over others and I still can't help but feel like they really needed like either 3 or 4 more episodes to go through everything or just needed to spend less time on some aspects to fit it all in.

Either that or give me 13 episodes of the DR2 cast just being students because episodes 1 and 2 were great.

We'll see if it all concludes on Monday or if they're going to spring a new arc on us to properly conclude things. I doubt there would be a new arc because there's simply not enough material left to sustain another season barring some completely out of left field occurrence. Get ready for a rushed, plot-packed episode I guess?

vvv edit: Oh, I thought I'd heard the 12 Despair side episode was some Q&A or something, that's why I've been assuming Monday is the conclusion.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 24, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

We'll see if it all concludes on Monday or if they're going to spring a new arc on us to properly conclude things. I doubt there would be a new arc because there's simply not enough material left to sustain another season barring some completely out of left field occurrence. Get ready for a rushed, plot-packed episode I guess?

As I wrote before, they confirmed the episode that airs next Thursday in Zetsubou-hen's timeslot will serve as both arcs' conclusion and called "kibou-hen", so Monday's episode is the penultimate one, not the conclusion.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

One thought on Izuru and Chiaki: In the Future side, we saw that Makoto and Izuru had run into each other between the end of DR1 and DR2. He could have told Makoto to include an AI Chiaki to help Makoto's plan succeed. We know that Izuru had uploaded AI Junko into the Neo World program, and it always bothered me how it happened. If he was a prisoner the entire time, when would he have had the opportunity to do so? Maybe he was a willing participant in the program the entire time, and had more free reign than he should have had?

I never noticed it, but the real Chiaki and the AI Chiaki don't sound alike. They got the same voice actor, but it's clear that her creators had no idea how the real Chiaki acted and spoke.

We also finally have confirmation on Makoto's luck - he does possess it, but it only activates randomly. This is the first true confirmation that he really does have luck as a skill, since Junko, the SHSL Analyst is the one confirming it, not a person unqualified to diagnose it.

Of course, it has nothing to do with Junko's defeat, for maximum irony.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 24, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm actually the most interested in the "timeline" of things around this period. Too bad we're out of episodes I guess? V:shobon:V

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Of course, it has nothing to do with Junko's defeat, for maximum irony.

If that bathroom door wasn't broken, Class 78 would be dead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

We know that Izuru had uploaded AI Junko into the Neo World program, and it always bothered me how it happened. If he was a prisoner the entire time, when would he have had the opportunity to do so? Maybe he was a willing participant in the program the entire time, and had more free reign than he should have had?

One of his talents is SHSL Debate Team Captain. There is no arguing with him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

orenronen posted:

As I wrote before, they confirmed the episode that airs next Thursday in Zetsubou-hen's timeslot will serve as both arcs' conclusion and called "kibou-hen", so Monday's episode is the penultimate one, not the conclusion.

I'm not that enthused about it, for some reason. I think it's because I'm kinda burned out and want them to resolve things already, and I'm not sure there's much left that's interesting enough to devote an entire story arc to. Maybe what happens to the Remnants, but otherwise it's probably going to be Naegi and Hinata trying to bring the world back to Hope.

Also I think poor Naegi has suffered enough.

EDIT: Huh, I'd heard it was an entire story arc rather than one episode. That's less draining at least.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 24, 2016

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Future ending up being surprisingly good and Despair derailing was the big twist of DR3.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
How is Makoto dodging a wrench the first confirmation of his shsl luck, unless you literally mean chronologically first?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

COBRARocky posted:

Future ending up being surprisingly good and Despair derailing was the big twist of DR3.

I liked Despair best when it focused on the imposter. It's surprising that a guy who doesn't have an identity ends up being so compelling but there you go.

Future was really good throughout imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

How is Makoto dodging a wrench the first confirmation of his shsl luck, unless you literally mean chronologically first?

I thought the first official confirmation was that he got chosen through the "let's pick our SHSL Good Luck" lottery in the first place. Almost random chance has been Makoto's entire gig since before the first game actually began!

• Locked thread