Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I thought that was murder 2 though? How is that manslaughter?

Manslaughter in the OK statute (afaik) is basically "you did this thing intentionally but it wasn't pre-planned".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Madcosby posted:

i dont even get how people can oppose Kaepernick or that blacks are being slain by cops unjustly. What the hell is the argument against it?

Besides the obvious racism and desperate denial, these people lack critical thinking skills. When you're a kid you're taught (with good reason) that cops are your friends and are always there to help. When you grow up without ever questioning anything you believe that all cops are justified in their actions at all times. It's the same with the national anthem and pledge of allegiance. If it's all you know and you never think critically about anything, then it's upsetting to see those things treated irreverently.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37423901

Really hope you can access this in the US, its a good read, if not tell me and ill strip the text out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37423901

Really hope you can access this in the US, its a good read, if not tell me and ill strip the text out.

I'm in the states and can read it. You're right, it's really good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
hmm, I like Chip Kelly again, and I'm glad he's stopped being racist.

Madcosby posted:

Chip Kelly onboard is one of the last people I'd expect. Good job Colin

for real, he got rid of DeSean Jackson and Shady McCoy, who had never caused trouble on or off the field, because he didn't like their personality or w/e, and now this. good for him!

Madcosby posted:

i dont even get how people can oppose Kaepernick or that blacks are being slain by cops unjustly. What the hell is the argument against it?

"the shootings are justified; yeah they made a few mistakes but in the vast majority of cases they're right, and you can't hamstring them with fear of prosecution or losing their jobs!! also most of those people had criminal records anyway so let's just call it even and move on."

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

Besides the obvious racism and desperate denial, these people lack critical thinking skills. When you're a kid you're taught (with good reason) that cops are your friends and are always there to help. When you grow up without ever questioning anything you believe that all cops are justified in their actions at all times. It's the same with the national anthem and pledge of allegiance. If it's all you know and you never think critically about anything, then it's upsetting to see those things treated irreverently.

Protesters, and activist haven't exactly done themselves any favors by choosing to champion cases like Micheal Brown, and Alton Sterling. When it turns out that the guy you are trying to turn into a martyr just robbed a store, or was armed and wrestling with the cops people turn off to your message pretty quick. Things like chanting about wanting dead cops, attacking random white people, and climbing onto the interstate, and shutting down traffic is also not going to go far in creating a dialog. Add in the factor of some of the protest turning into violent out of control riots, and its not hard to see why the majority people not directly affected by the issues of police violence have tuned out the whole movement. If BLM and other protest groups want real change they would focus solely on cases like Oklahoma, the Oakland subway shooting, and the care worker in Florida. Its a lot easier to get people on your side when the examples you put out there are clear, and indisputable proof of the message.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

They found a way to make a teenager in a suburb look like a harden criminal to get Zimmerman free, this is child's play for any lawyer.

Hardened.

And if you think that was at all difficult given that kids past with violence in school alone, then you really don't know that case.

These people can turn a 19 year old virgin from Tennessee who was raped into a huge sorority slut who craves gangbangs. Making a black guy look terrifying is absolutely nothing to them.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Chichevache posted:

You know the most worrying thing about applying? If I told them I wasn't comfortable taking a human life in defense of my own unless I knew without a doubt the person I shot was going to kill someone else, I'd be disqualified. :shepicide:

Ground floor on the Chiche downfall.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Protesters, and activist haven't exactly done themselves any favors by choosing to champion cases like Micheal Brown, and Alton Sterling. When it turns out that the guy you are trying to turn into a martyr just robbed a store, or was armed and wrestling with the cops people turn off to your message pretty quick. Things like chanting about wanting dead cops, attacking random white people, and climbing onto the interstate, and shutting down traffic is also not going to go far in creating a dialog. Add in the factor of some of the protest turning into violent out of control riots, and its not hard to see why the majority people not directly affected by the issues of police violence have tuned out the whole movement. If BLM and other protest groups want real change they would focus solely on cases like Oklahoma, the Oakland subway shooting, and the care worker in Florida. Its a lot easier to get people on your side when the examples you put out there are clear, and indisputable proof of the message.

this is the worst, stupidest opinion to have on the matter. we've done it, fellows; close the thread.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hey I dunno if some of you know this but the punishment for 'being an awful person', previous offenses and not following instructions is NOT summary execution

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

According to my possibly white nationalist boss(Who talks about how if it keeps up white people will be extinct by 2040 or some poo poo and it scares him) black people are just still mad about slavery and have to get back at white people by any means necessary, which is why Colin Kaepernick is doing what he's doing. I wanted to ask why being mad about slavery was a bad thing but I didn't want to push it any further.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hope white people are extinct much sooner than that

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ehud posted:

I do not tbh

E: to add to extinction chat my junior English teacher once told me red heads were going to be extinct in 50 years.

Metapod fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
whites have the lowest birth rates in the US by far, the future looks to be lit

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Finally the era of the black NFL qb will be upon us

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

bobjr posted:

According to my possibly white nationalist boss(Who talks about how if it keeps up white people will be extinct by 2040 or some poo poo and it scares him) black people are just still mad about slavery and have to get back at white people by any means necessary, which is why Colin Kaepernick is doing what he's doing. I wanted to ask why being mad about slavery was a bad thing but I didn't want to push it any further.

I would say he can't be serious, but I'm sure he is. How do these people make it past childhood?

go3 posted:

Too soon for the Houston Texans!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ehud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxL_wuYtSg

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/779342359217725440

lol

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Meathead Bear fans across the country pump their fists in their air in agreement

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why aren't they sticking a mic in Aaron Rodgers' or Eli Manning's face and asking them about this poo poo. no, let's ask a bunch of old fart coaches and analysts, and save these questions for the black players

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

indigi posted:

this is the worst, stupidest opinion to have on the matter. we've done it, fellows; close the thread.

Yeah gently caress anything that might have a chance of bringing real change, or creating a dialog. Have fun in the echo chamber.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Yeah gently caress anything that might have a chance of bringing real change, or creating a dialog. Have fun in the echo chamber.

Your opinion was utter poo poo though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Smiling Mandrill posted:

1488, brother.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dolphins players had a town hall meeting with local law enforcement to talk about all the stuff going on

https://twitter.com/risetowin/status/779171305757237248

RISE (Ross Initiative in Sports for Equality) is the group Steve Ross started to try and get athletes involved in this sort of thing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

how do I stop being white

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ehud posted:

Dolphins players had a town hall meeting with local law enforcement to talk about all the stuff going on

RISE (Ross Initiative in Sports for Equality) is the group Steve Ross started to try and get athletes involved in this sort of thing

I like this. Good on them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Yeah, they should politely and calmly wait for white America to listen. Maybe fill out some twitter polls or something. If they're not too uppity and familiar about it we might deign to give them an audience this time.:jerkbag:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Link me to your change.org petition for "White people voting to allow blacks to be full members of the human race".

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pron on VHS posted:

whites have the lowest birth rates in the US by far, the future looks to be lit

I'm doing my part by not fathering any while children.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

go3 posted:

There will still be like 32 white dudes kicking around don't worry.

The real problem is that their names will all be like Skylar and Aerick

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Ehud posted:

I'm doing my best to make it happen and I encourage the rest of you to do so as well! Not that most of you have a say in the matter! Haha jk

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ehud posted:

I found Waldo

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Civil disobedience that ends in loss of life or property should definitely never be celebrated

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Here is why your opinion blows. You are putting the burden on the movement to find the "right case" that will open everyone's eyes to the issue. The thing you are ignoring is that it doesn't matter how cut and dry a case is, the racists and deniers are going to make up any excuse or justification they can for why a police officer killed a black man. Even in this OK case, that has video evidence of what happened, people still try to justify the actions of the officer. You also don't seem at all concerned that the Brown & Sterling cases resulted in the death of a human being and represent an unacceptable escalation of force. Police need to be trained to deescalate situations, not shoot first ask questions later.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

There will still be like 32 white dudes kicking around don't worry.

The real problem is that their names will all be like Skylar and Aerick

I met a white Jaelan yesterday and I wanted to vomit. Good Roman names need to make a comeback. Scipio and Titus are HoF names.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

titus hasn't worked out that well in the nfl so far

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I met a white Jaelan yesterday and I wanted to vomit. Good Roman names need to make a comeback. Scipio and Titus are HoF names.

Titus will get drafted by the Bills meanwhile Khyler Manning will luck his way to a ring

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

CyberPingu posted:

Your opinion was utter poo poo though.

According to this thread.

Focusing on clear cut cases of injustice, bringing them to the forefront, and making them part of the public conscious =utter poo poo.

Dying on the hill of an armed child molester who wrestled with the cops, then burning down your own neighborhood in a riot = positive societal change.

The fact that the average American knows the name Alton Sterling, but not Oscar Grant is a huge part of the problem whether this thread wants to admit it or not.

I don't really care what this thread thinks anyway. Most of the posters in here come off a s self loathing middle class white boys hot boxing pretentious farts in their dorm rooms. I guess it doesn't matter if the vast majority of people don't seem to grasp, or care why hes sitting in the first place. As long as the football player sitting down is pissing off your rich establishment daddy thats good enough.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There is no case clear cut enough for racists to be unable to find a justification for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I don't really care what this thread thinks anyway.

:lol:

• Locked thread