Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Was looking for an excuse not to buy this right now, the PC port being poo poo will do nicely. Thanks Microsoft!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jabro posted:

It's twice as big as 2.

It must just seem smaller because there aren't as many towns or something. The roads are more fun to drive, and the scenery is way nicer, so really it doesn't matter anyway (honestly I didn't much care for Horizon 2's setting).

I am however disappointed that unskippable cutscenes are still a thing. Just let me go on road trips and poo poo, I don't care about your brotacular festival bro

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Hooray, now the Forza threads are gonna be wall to wall "How will this run on my system?" and "Will this run on my system?" and "Why isn't this running better on my system?"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Hooray, now the Forza threads are gonna be wall to wall "How will this run on my system?" and "Will this run on my system?" and "Why isn't this running better on my system?"

Honestly, no joke, this is good enough reason to keep Forza off PC.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Runs great on my system. 16GB of RAM, liquid cooled, overclocked i5 6600k at 4.7ghz and liquid cooled, overclocked gtx 1080 at 2ghz with everything maxed out at 1440p using my Logitech g920 .60 fps minimum frame rate, not sure of the max because I'm using vsync. Load times are lightning quick from my dual 500gb Samsung SSDs in RAID 0.

I did notice a couple bugs. I get weird white digital artifacting on the windshield while driving in the rain. It's super minor and I'm sure it will eventually be fixed. Same dlc issues but I'm sure they'll be working soon.

If I have music on it drowns out my car, even just at the minimum volume (which is 1 - quiet, not 0 - silent, wtf?) But if you turn off the radio in game by switching to the radio off station sound returns to normal. You can't do this for the first few races because you haven't signed radio stations yet.

Audo related: there doesn't seem to be a way to pick a speaker configuration like there is in apex and every other console version. I use pseudo 7.1 headphones and there's no way to enable that. All I get is stereo. In previous games you pick "headphones, stereo, or home theater"

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 23, 2016

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
The pro move is to play it on xbox first and transition to pc in a few months when they've fixed their poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Eleeleth posted:

The pro move is to play it on xbox first and transition to pc in a few months when they've fixed their poo poo.

My pro move is to play it on Xbox first and transition to PC when I'm not running a Phenom II 955 and GTX660 anymore.

Thank you for your service, 2012 build.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a way to cloud save and transfer to PC or to the bone? The UWP thing seems cool but not so much if saves don't work interchangeably.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a way to cloud save and transfer to PC or to the bone? The UWP thing seems cool but not so much if saves don't work interchangeably.

Isn't it supposed to be automagic?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

This just happens without you doing anything. Both versions use the same cloud save.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Yeah it's supposed to just pull all that down on its own if you're using the same account, shouldn't have to do anything on your end. I haven't tried the Xbox version yet to see if it actually works, though. Seen a few other people on PC report their DLC and VIP not working, but mine's fine, weird that it's inconsistent.

Also re: the upgrade menu being total rear end, that seems to be universal. I've got it on an SSD and it's hilariously slow in that menu for no good reason.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 23, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
One of my friends with a basically identical build to mine (same CPU, mobo, RAM, and SSD, just he has a 980Ti instead of 2x970) is currently unable to launch the game at all. It gets to the Horizon 3 splash screen, sits for a while, then dies apparently.

Reinstalling the game, disabling all AV, unplugging all input devices and mic, etc. as recommended on the forums doesn't seem to help, so he's gonna try reinstalling his OS after work and if not will be refunding it.

They really should have released the demo on PC so they could get a preview of these problems rather than effectively dumping them on the biggest fans who were willing to fork over $100 for digital cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm definitely passing on this then. See you guys in forza 7 maybe.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I'm getting really good performance personally. 3.5 i7, 8gb ddr3, 970.

I get done hitching during free roam, but I think the default Windows game installation was not set to be my ssd drive. I'm going to check that when I'm home today. They hitching doesn't seem to show up during races, I'm guessing the game doesn't dynamically load anything during events.

The game so far is really really fun.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm definitely passing on this then. See you guys in forza 7 maybe.

Passing on something due to day 1 early access bugs?

Wait a week and it will be ironed out

Being able to use a mouse on the upgrade and tuning screens really helps.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 23, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also the cart system. drat is it ever nice to not have to waste money while trying to figure out what the max equipment you can cram in to a PI spec is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Passing on something due to day 1 early access bugs?

Wait a week and it will be ironed out

Being able to use a mouse on the upgrade and tuning screens really helps.

I wasn't super stoked about it in the first place. I'm not super interested in a simcade racer at the moment.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Is there a Goon Club yet? Are Gutbomb and I going to have to race to the unlock again?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

If you get physical expect the longest install. Baby's nap time is quickly passing.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

The End posted:

Nvidia card owners, grab the latest update before playing. Had multiple crashes without the patch, smooth like butter with it.

Game is a good Forza Horizon game so far.

I get a 'this edition of windows is not recognized ' poo poo trying to install the latest patch, stuck at 30 fps (with stuttering) and crashes until I can figure out why it's doing this :( 970 btw

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I have two friends who are trying to redeem his warthog code but pressing redeem code just brings them to the store?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Friend whose game wasn't booting properly had a T10 community manager call him and was going to have someone from T10 remote in to his machine if it didn't work after an eighth reinstall... and for whatever reason it's started working. So on the plus side, my friend's now able to play. On the minus side, that might have allowed them to figure out what was going wrong.

All we know at this point is said friend went scorched earth on the Windows Store's install folders before the one that finally worked.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Atmus posted:

Is there a Goon Club yet? Are Gutbomb and I going to have to race to the unlock again?

I think you're going to be racing howdy for this. I'm not far enough along in the game to unlock that stuff yet and the kid is still awake so no gaming for a while for me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

I think you're going to be racing howdy for this. I'm not far enough along in the game to unlock that stuff yet and the kid is still awake so no gaming for a while for me.
I'm stuck at work for the time being but when I get home I intend to resume trying to start the club before some other racing group scores it. I'm hoping to be able to resume about 8pm EDT.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
So if you buy this on the Xbone store it's then available on the Microsoft version of steam or whatever? Also, will my computer run this game at 60fps? it's not brand new or anything but has 16 GB ram and a GTX 1060, the case is pretty sharp looking if that matters - brushed aluminum. It's got red SATA cables also, I heard those give +5 computer hp or whatever

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm stuck at work for the time being but when I get home I intend to resume trying to start the club before some other racing group scores it. I'm hoping to be able to resume about 8pm EDT.

What name are we going for this time? Goon Racing Club?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

What name are we going for this time? Goon Racing Club?
Yes, let's!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't feel like any Forza Horizon game has managed to capture the "magic" of Forza Horizon 1. It just still feels so sterile compared to that game. It's fun, but sterile. Atleast try to theme the music or something instead of trying to get the "unknown artist" type thing over.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

I don't feel like any Forza Horizon game has managed to capture the "magic" of Forza Horizon 1. It just still feels so sterile compared to that game. It's fun, but sterile. Atleast try to theme the music or something instead of trying to get the "unknown artist" type thing over.

I would like to opine something else: each Forza Horizon is better than the one that preceded it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh fundamentally I agree, mechanically visually etc. I just feel like they lose more soul as the ygo on but I can see how that is a wrong opinion that just I have

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

L_Harrison posted:

I would like to opine something else: each Forza Horizon is better than the one that preceded it.
By both leaps and bounds.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Goon Racing Club [GRRC] created. [GRC] was taken, probably by jerks.

It's set to Friends Only, so friend "MacClay" and join up or whatever.

Clubs are unlocked after 320,000 Fans, which took me like 4 goddamn hours.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
After getting deeper in to the PC version I'm having some issues. The game looks amazing and the frame rate never drops, but it's crashed mid-race on me 3 times, and my wheel lost it's center point once, needing to unplug the wheel and plug it back in.

I hope these issues get worked out soon.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
That sucks. The only wheel issue I have so far is the glare.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

After getting deeper in to the PC version I'm having some issues. The game looks amazing and the frame rate never drops, but it's crashed mid-race on me 3 times, and my wheel lost it's center point once, needing to unplug the wheel and plug it back in.

I hope these issues get worked out soon.

hmm, just checking, did you overlock your cpu at all? did you update your gfx drivers? If so I assume you're not crashing in any other games and it's a game engine problem. Still glad to hear 1440p is solid 60 fps on your 1070, that bodes will for it being steady at 1080p for me and my frankenstein 3570k/1070 combo. my biggest fear for this game was it not performing well on PC. hope i have some time to play it soon, im definitely gonna miss out on the first week buzz

TheScott2K posted:

:yikes:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 24, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ethanol posted:

hmm, just checking, did you overlock your cpu at all? did you update your gfx drivers? If so I assume you're not crashing in any other games and it's a game engine problem. Still glad to hear 1440p is solid 60 fps on your 1070, that bodes will for it being steady at 1080p for me and my frankenstein 3570k/1070 combo. my biggest fear for this game was it not performing well on PC. hope i have some time to play it soon, im definitely gonna miss out on the first week buzz

:yikes:

I have a 1080 not a 1070 but I don't think a 1070 will be bad at 1080p.

My CPU is overclocked but it's a very stable system, my video drivers were updated yesterday to the "game ready" ones. No other games are crashing. I'm chalking it up to having to develop a game for a moving target platform like the pc for the first time. I'm sure there's still code in there from the 360 version of fm4 and console games are full of hacks that only work on that particular console.

I'll be patient for patches. The race I'm getting crashes on is the the same one every time too (although at different parts of the race) so it might be a matter of something being wrong with that particular event or a car involved in that event.

It's worth mentioning that my missing DLC issues from last night were gone when I fired up the game this morning.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

That sucks. The only wheel issue I have so far is the glare.
:catstare:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar1OFAccD9lzgQbZLocGxd9pS80Z

:)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 24, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
OK so the game wasn't crashing actually. I just assumed it was. It would freeze at a random point in a race but if I let it sit there for a minute it just came back. Annoying but at least I have a workaround until it's fixed. I'm getting a few visual artifacts too. Gonna see if it's my GPU overclock causing those.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I have a 1080 not a 1070 but I don't think a 1070 will be bad at 1080p.

My CPU is overclocked but it's a very stable system, my video drivers were updated yesterday to the "game ready" ones. No other games are crashing. I'm chalking it up to having to develop a game for a moving target platform like the pc for the first time. I'm sure there's still code in there from the 360 version of fm4 and console games are full of hacks that only work on that particular console.

I'll be patient for patches. The race I'm getting crashes on is the the same one every time too (although at different parts of the race) so it might be a matter of something being wrong with that particular event or a car involved in that event.

It's worth mentioning that my missing DLC issues from last night were gone when I fired up the game this morning.

So (crashing aside) is the game actually running smoothly for you in free roam with the framerate unlocked? Locked 30fps is the default if you let the game auto-detect a preset, and obviously the hitching is less noticeable with the frame limiter enabled. The frame pacing problems seem fairly widespread so I guess I'll just wait for the patch (and proper wheel support :bang:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

justbread posted:

So (crashing aside) is the game actually running smoothly for you in free roam with the framerate unlocked? Locked 30fps is the default if you let the game auto-detect a preset, and obviously the hitching is less noticeable with the frame limiter enabled. The frame pacing problems seem fairly widespread so I guess I'll just wait for the patch (and proper wheel support :bang:)

There is a very occasional fraction of a second hitch once in a while while free roaming that doesn't happen in races. I chalked it up to preloading a bunch of poo poo for the area you're driving in and it's so slight and barely noticeable that it doesn't bother me.

I'm running framerate locked at 60. It let's you pick 60 if you enable vsync in game. I'll try enabling vsync from Nvidia control center and try unlocked instead to see if it's better or worse.

What wheel are you using that's giving you trouble?

The Logitech is an Xbox one wheel with Xbox one buttons but the game just uses button number icons instead of a picture of the button which is annoying. Also it's wrong most of the time. Says to use button one for poo poo but really wants me to use button 2. And I can't set anything to the B button in a custom wheel profile because even when in binding mode B exits the screen. WTF microsoft?

• Locked thread