Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Parrotine posted:

Is this really much of a loss? Pinsir is pretty worthless in this game
And Pinsir is about the strongest thing I can ever manage to get :saddowns:

I just recently found a buff Tauros but that only barely edges out my big dumb bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Didn't they say they were planning on releasing gen2 this fall?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

flatluigi posted:

Didn't they say they were planning on releasing gen2 this fall?

Everyone says November but I've never seen an actual source. :shrug:

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

seiferguy posted:

A nearby level 6 gym has the following gym owners:

- Bokemongo32, level 25
- Bokemongo33, level 26
- Bokemonthaison, level 25
- Charmastergogo, level 31
- Bokechargo, level 27
- Thaison316, level 29

I'm half tempted to think this person is a botter that has 6 accounts.

That is an obvious botter, I could tell you how I know....but I wont :cop:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I half expect the next gen they release to be 7, not 2. Cashing in on the popularity of the new games and all.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Finally, confirmation! Wish I remembered some names of people I've argued with over regional eggs being able to be hatched outside their region.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Pakled posted:

No word yet on when they're adding new stuff. The Pokedex IV bug has (probably) been fixed but that's not exactly something new.

This is just an unsubstantiated guess but I'd be surprised if we didn't have at least an announcement of some substantial new content (like trading or a new gen of Pokemon) by the end of the year.

I saw one mention of trading being found in 0.39, but I haven't seen any confirmation or details on what exactly was found. But the Buddy system showed up in the files one version before it actually released, and they did say big changes and features coming soon in the post about it, so it's possible there's some groundwork in there.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Afgad posted:

Despite there being two million clefairy here a day, almost none of them have good IVs so nobody pumps them up. Also, we get about 2-3 snorlax and dragonite a day, so nobody is putting wigglytuff in gyms.

Most gyms look like this: snorlax, snorlax, dragonite, with sometimes an exeggutor thrown in for laughs.

They never last more than 30 minutes.

So the only way for me to test it is to train them up myself and put them in the gym, and before the gym is destroyed train against them both.

People put a lot of Snorlaxes and Dragonites in gyms here too, but a lot of them have Lick and Dragon Breath, which makes pretty weak defenders despite having high CP. The main issue with rare pokemon is they are hard to get candies for so most players can't keep them powered to max. Also, because they're rare, they often don't have moves that are actually good for gym defense. People just see the high CP and drop it in a gym.

So instead of dropping your 2400+ CP Dragon with Dragon Breath in a gym, try dropping a maxed out Wigglytuff with Feint Attack/Dazzling Gleam. Despite having over 600 CP less, it'll be a noticeably more difficult fight. The only downside to these pokemon is they have lower CP, so although they'll usually be tougher to fight than pokemon above them, they'll get kicked out sooner.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

If you don't live in an area where you can farm dragons and blue norcoleptic teddy bears, and are looking for pokemon that'll act as good roadblocks in gyms:

Poliwrath - Bubble / Submission
Clefairy - Zen Headbutt / Dazzling Gleam
Wigglytuff - Feint Attack / Dazzling Gleam
Exeggutor - Confusion / Seed Bomb
Slowbro - Confusion / Water Pulse

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What is the working web based scanner again? Had one working 10-15 pages ago that I can't find again.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nephzinho posted:

What is the working web based scanner again? Had one working 10-15 pages ago that I can't find again.

https://fastpokemap.se/

and

https://pokestumble.com/

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So how is this game doing in general these days? Last time I checked it dropped from 45 million players to 30 million after the first month, I'm curious to see if it's stayed consistent or sloped down more.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Plus accessory had a chance to bump interest but they seem to have made about five of them total so it's not making a lot of difference

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

CrashCat posted:

The Plus accessory had a chance to bump interest but they seem to have made about five of them total so it's not making a lot of difference

It's also basically a device to scare away Pokemon that's powered by Pokeballs.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Parrotine posted:

So how is this game doing in general these days? Last time I checked it dropped from 45 million players to 30 million after the first month, I'm curious to see if it's stayed consistent or sloped down more.

After the drop off, it seems to have stabilized. Instead of crowds of 100 at hotspot areas, you may have crowds of like 30, which is still a lot. It feels like it has about 30% of the people actively playing compared to its peak (which was insane). The Meetups I've hosted consistently have 30-60 people attending.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I have been finding that my 1006cp Parasect with Fury Cutter/Solar Beam is awesome for training against all the water types in gyms near me. Fury Cutter is fast enough that dodging is really easy and it builds solar beam really fast which obliterates poo poo. :hellyeah:

Cashed out on 6 gyms last night which is a new record for me.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah parasect does great work against water types, mine can pretty regularly take down your average Vaporeon

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Yesterday I caught a Bulbasaur that according to at least one IV checker appears to be 12/15/10. Worth powering up over my 11/10/10 Ivysaur? I dunno.

Also the pain of finally getting 400 Magikarp candies and your goldfish turning into an angry dragon snake... with Bite/Twister :negative:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Locally the amount of players seems to vary by weather, which is entirely expected. The hotspots now have some dozens of players at a time - which, in a city of 200k, is pretty large.

It's easily the most popular mobile game I've ever seen. It's no longer having that launch rush, which is good, because it works far better now than it did back then, and the team can probably focus on reinventing the features in a way that isn't full of gently caress.

It didn't sustain the launch rush, but no game ever does. It's still extremely popular by any standard.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tar_Squid posted:

Yesterday I caught a Bulbasaur that according to at least one IV checker appears to be 12/15/10. Worth powering up over my 11/10/10 Ivysaur? I dunno.

Also the pain of finally getting 400 Magikarp candies and your goldfish turning into an angry dragon snake... with Bite/Twister :negative:

IVs don't matter, moveset matters.

Kimchi King
Aug 26, 2010
If anyone is still interested in egg data, out of 285 total eggs hatched,16 being 10km eggs, I’ve hatched the following. Eggs collected from a mixture of areas that spawn water (by lake) and land pokemon (city):

3x Onix
3x Omanyte
2x Hitmonchan
2x Eevee
2x Scyther
1x Dratini
1x Electabuzz
1x Pinsir
1x Chansey

The only of these I’ve ever seen in the wild is Eevee, Dratini and Electabuzz.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kimchi King posted:

If anyone is still interested in egg data, out of 285 total eggs hatched,16 being 10km eggs, I’ve hatched the following. Eggs collected from a mixture of areas that spawn water (by lake) and land pokemon (city):

3x Onix
3x Omanyte
2x Hitmonchan
2x Eevee
2x Scyther
1x Dratini
1x Electabuzz
1x Pinsir
1x Chansey

That's actually quite a lucky hatch list. I would say that half my 10ks are Evees or Pinsers. I've also gotten a lot of Scythers, Magmars and Jynxes. :(

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Tar_Squid posted:

I vote evolve the bulbasaur but keep the ivy in case you get lovely moves, depending on the level/cp difference between the two

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Louisgod posted:

so whichever gets Vine Whip/Solar Beam wins? Or Razor Leaf/Petal Blizzard for one to leave in friendly gyms. Well, not like I'm short on stardust, and hopefully I can get enough candies to get em both.

Already lucked out on a Zen Headbutt/Solar Beam Eggxecute at least.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tar_Squid posted:

so whichever gets Vine Whip/Solar Beam wins? Or Razor Leaf/Petal Blizzard for one to leave in friendly gyms. Well, not like I'm short on stardust, and hopefully I can get enough candies to get em both.

Already lucked out on a Zen Headbutt/Solar Beam Eggxecute at least.

More or less, yeah. If you have a good Ivysaur with decent IVs (which don't matter), makes sense to evolve that as opposed to a Bulbasaur with minutely better IVs (because it doesn't matter).

I have two Venusaurs (one's 84.4%, other is 17.78%) but both are useless because they have Vine Whip/Sludge Bomb.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
And then I dump some stardust into a Venomoth with Confusion/Bug Buzz because I just like Venomoth. I am the worst trainer. But I love my adorable Venomoth.

And my Slowbro with Confusion/Water Pulse. But for different reasons.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Niceee, wild Exeggutor just spawed at my work with 1719 CP. Other two are 2000+ CP and one has Zen Headbutt/Solar Beam other two have confusion/solar beam. :getin:

Then a 295 CP turd Seadra spawned shortly after.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Kimchi King posted:

3x Onix
3x Omanyte
2x Hitmonchan
2x Eevee
2x Scyther
1x Dratini
1x Electabuzz
1x Pinsir
1x Chansey

1x Electabuzz
1x Jynx
1x Chansey
1x Hitmonlee
1x Dratini
1x Magmar
1x Onyx
2x Hitmonchan
2x Scyther
2x Pinsir
4x Eevee

Seventeen 10k eggs for me. Still waiting for that clutch Snorlax/Lapras. Hell, another Dratini would take like 100kms off my journey to a Dragonite.

For 2ks, I'm almost exclusively hatching Rattatas, Weedles, Caterpies and Pidgeys. I have 200+ wild-caught Bilbosaur candies and nothing to spend em on. I've hatched a total of 427 eggs!

5ks are constantly Ekans, Paras, Meowth, and Krabby.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Afgad posted:

I suppose I am since CP is mostly attack, but there is defense and stuff too.

What is this about a bonus from being a normal type? I thought normal didn't get STAB?

Of course they do, they get it on Normal-type moves. Which includes Pound and Hyperbeam.

It does seem kind of bullshit that the "generic and lacking in characteristics" category is its own type (much less one that can be admitted alongside another type), but that's them pokemons for you.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Tar_Squid posted:

And then I dump some stardust into a Venomoth with Confusion/Bug Buzz because I just like Venomoth. I am the worst trainer. But I love my adorable Venomoth.

And my Slowbro with Confusion/Water Pulse. But for different reasons.

:patriot:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Louisgod posted:

All lives matter

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

666km it took go figure :toot: May the snow fall in Chicago now till the next generation is released.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Parrotine posted:

Is this really much of a loss? Pinsir is pretty worthless in this game

Uh I'll have you know I have obtained a 100 pinsir

still worthless

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I have hatched 4 Lapras and the rest has been magmar, onyx, and Pinsir, kill me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I have hatched 4 Lapras and the rest has been magmar, onyx, and Pinsir, kill me

I will gladly kill you

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Box wine posted:

666km it took go figure :toot: May the snow fall in Chicago now till the next generation is released.

Why do they use the female model with the clipped tail for Raichu? Are they all like that?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Pokemon have genders?

e: ya both of mine look like that

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why do they use the female model with the clipped tail for Raichu? Are they all like that?

They changed them to the male Raichu model a few patches ago, but the thumbnails are still the female one.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
iOS update time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

seriously though, I missed a Lapras because of that t-mobile meltdown the other night

:suicide:

• Locked thread