Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone know where I can find an updated version of that really swanky flowchart program that gave you a flowchart of exactly how many of items you needed in a chain of production to produce a certain amount of x item per minute? The one in the main forum thread on Factorio is severely outdated. It doesn't work for the latest version.

There's a webpage calculator that tells you what you need but I hate the GUI and find it very ugly to look at.

Basically I want something like this:

but able to work with the latest version of Factorio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
You're looking for Foreman

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/2etgrc/i_made_a_tool_to_help_design_production_lines/

It reads whatever you can build in your game, mods included. I'm running a year old version still and it's been able to read everything without issues except now rails have a ? icon, but still calculates things right.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GenericOverusedName posted:

All those unmined ores :negative:

E: That's also a fuckton of logistic bot usage, how many bots do you have hanging about?

Anyone got a mod for "mining bots"? I end up doing the same thing, except its with tiny deposits of ore i forget to mine. If my logistics network could include a few mining bots that'd just take the ore directly to a crate, that'd be great.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

At the very least, having a strip miner would be good. Miners output vanilla ores at about 0.5 per second. Perhaps a strip miner would output 5 ore per second, but destroy 2 ore for each unit output. Clear out a thousand ore in a minute, get a third of it in useful product. No more waiting for a miner to finish clearing out areas ao you don't feel weird building over useful material, and you get a quick benefit, too.
One of these days I'll have to check out LUA...

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I pack miners as tightly as possible and shove speed modules into them if I wanna clear out an ore patch ASAP. They go by pretty quickly if you do that (and have somewhere to shove all that rapidly mined ore, of course).

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Zomborgon posted:

At the very least, having a strip miner would be good. Miners output vanilla ores at about 0.5 per second. Perhaps a strip miner would output 5 ore per second, but destroy 2 ore for each unit output. Clear out a thousand ore in a minute, get a third of it in useful product.

That's an actually interesting trade-off, unlike the usual approach of It's Just Better or It Uses More Power. I hope someone implements that.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GenericOverusedName posted:

I pack miners as tightly as possible and shove speed modules into them if I wanna clear out an ore patch ASAP. They go by pretty quickly if you do that (and have somewhere to shove all that rapidly mined ore, of course).

I do the same and belt it off to a bunch of chests to one side where it's out of the way. The warehouse mod makes it even easier.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I've got this ore transfer station.

It's got 8 bays for trains unloading ore from mine outposts, and 4 bays for trains to load up with ore to take to smelters. The 8 intake stations are named identically, and the 4 output stations have the same name. This is so, in theory, a train will just pick an empty bay and start unloading. Unfortunetly they tend to pick a full one and just wait, and so I have backups with bays sitting empty.

I've thought about putting a waypoint signal before they enter the bays so that a train can only move past the station if there's a free station ahead (connect all the signals to the waypoint station, only move if there is a green signal).

I'm also considering just ripping out all the belts and dumping in a few thousand logistics bots. But I want the belt solution to work so much!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ratzap posted:

I do the same and belt it off to a bunch of chests to one side where it's out of the way. The warehouse mod makes it even easier.

I currently have a coal patch that's sitting directly in the path of one of my train lines. Got something like 25 or so steel chests offloading the overlapping section's ore and I have no doubt I'll run out of chest space before they're finished. I might just have to quell the OCD notion that my core train line must be straight and have it detour around.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't know anything about Factorio modding, but would it be possible to create a miner with a variable footprint? I'm picturing placement being something like how walls or pipes work, where adjacent structures lump together, so you could just lay down tiles of this miner building over each ore location and then specify an output point. Energy consumption, output, and maybe number of output points could be based on how many tiles the aggregate covers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FISHMANPET posted:

It's got 8 bays for trains unloading ore from mine outposts, and 4 bays for trains to load up with ore to take to smelters. The 8 intake stations are named identically, and the 4 output stations have the same name. This is so, in theory, a train will just pick an empty bay and start unloading. Unfortunetly they tend to pick a full one and just wait, and so I have backups with bays sitting empty.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in concept, but ok.

The train behavior simply means something is messed up on your signalling or naming. Without a better picture I'm going to assume its actually on the exiting side due to the way chain signals behave.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

I currently have a coal patch that's sitting directly in the path of one of my train lines. Got something like 25 or so steel chests offloading the overlapping section's ore and I have no doubt I'll run out of chest space before they're finished. I might just have to quell the OCD notion that my core train line must be straight and have it detour around.
You could just quell the OCD notion that the coal patch is in any way important to your future expansion.

Leaving junk in the ground underneath infrastructure is the ultimate middle finger to biters because it just says I got to splat wider and you're going to be in my way sooner.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

FISHMANPET posted:

I've thought about putting a waypoint signal before they enter the bays so that a train can only move past the station if there's a free station ahead (connect all the signals to the waypoint station, only move if there is a green signal).

I'm also considering just ripping out all the belts and dumping in a few thousand logistics bots. But I want the belt solution to work so much!

It looks like bandwidth from the train to the boxes is the issue. Try to maximise it. I see you've only got 4 chests a side from the train to each box, up that to 6 a side.

If your boxes begin backing up and your belts don't stay 100% utilised, then you need more unloading capacity. A stack inserter won't quite fill a belt 100%, so you might need two per box.
If your belts are 100% utilised and your boxes are backing up, then you need more belts.
If the train is stalling unloading as the boxes are full, the belts are 100% utilised during unloading, but drop below 100% utilisation with empty boxes after a train leaves before the next arrives, increase the cache between the train and the belts.

In our megagame we have a single ore dropoff for a giant ore sorter. The issue we had is that one of the waste products was ~50% of our output from the factory. As we don't have high tech belts yet, we started isolating that with a different train line to reduce throughput. But we are coping reasonably well with large volumes and red belts.

Alternatively if all of the above fail, unload each ore directly into boxes for the adjacent loading bay.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

zedprime posted:

You could just quell the OCD notion that the coal patch is in any way important to your future expansion.

Leaving junk in the ground underneath infrastructure is the ultimate middle finger to biters because it just says I got to splat wider and you're going to be in my way sooner.

But what if I need that coal for making..explosives (I haven't made any yet in ~20 hours playing) and poison capsules (occasionally when I get lazy about deconstruction)? And what happens if my current coal patch runs out (I've got ~45k sitting around) for plastics and fuelling trains?! :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FISHMANPET posted:

That really shouldn't be needed. I'd try deleting and re-creating the destinations on all the trains just to make sure a rename or something somewhere doesn't have one of them thinking it can only use a single station

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The problem is that the trains pick which specific station to go to when they leave the mining outpost. While it may be empty then, it probably won't be empty by the time it gets to the depot. Additionally, after doing a little research on the pathfinding, a train stopped at a chain signal won't recalculate a new path, it just waits forever. So it needs to pick which station to go to right before it it goes to it, not minutes before.

So I put in the waypoint station and it appears to have cleared everything up. It causes the trains to pick their platform at the last possible instance (right before they enter the platforms). I noticed that while they were stuck, if I switched them from automatic to manual and back to automatic, they would find an empty platform, which is why I'm quite sure the problem was picking the platform at the wrong time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So basically the routes are now ore field -> triage station -> unload?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yup.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Slickdrac posted:

You're looking for Foreman

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/2etgrc/i_made_a_tool_to_help_design_production_lines/

It reads whatever you can build in your game, mods included. I'm running a year old version still and it's been able to read everything without issues except now rails have a ? icon, but still calculates things right.

That's exactly what I downloaded but I get an error whenever I run it. Does the game need to be running for it to work? I directed it to my Steam Factorio folder and it doesn't work.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I feel like I remember seeing somewhere that there was a way to see what is being requested in the logistics network for an area to feed into the circuit network. Is that actually possible?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You can link components that talk in the circuit network to the larger logistics network and do things like prevent inserters from unloading trains if you have > X amount of some product. I have that set up for my long term storage depot so I don't drown in plastic and sulfur. Not sure if this is what you're asking.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
In Bobs greenhouse, the recipe for saplings produces 1.5 of them per raw wood. Dos it just alternate between giving one and giving two? Also, is there anything else I should know when starting a Bobs mod game for the first time?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Chakan posted:

In Bobs greenhouse, the recipe for saplings produces 1.5 of them per raw wood. Dos it just alternate between giving one and giving two? Also, is there anything else I should know when starting a Bobs mod game for the first time?

I'm told that's average number. It can make a range of saplings and wood per craft. I've been working on a bobs game recently and the going advice is to try and manufacture a lot of stuff where its needed. Circuits especially you want to make components right where they will be used since you need and craft a bunch at a time so busing at all is really inefficient.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LtSmash posted:

I'm told that's average number. It can make a range of saplings and wood per craft. I've been working on a bobs game recently and the going advice is to try and manufacture a lot of stuff where its needed. Circuits especially you want to make components right where they will be used since you need and craft a bunch at a time so busing at all is really inefficient.

Bobs you want to try and build in blocks based around materials and tech (mostly circuit levels). Don't try and run a huge main bus or it'll be a couple of screens wide (not kidding). And don't try to belt things that are used a lot in a recipe, so for example basic circuits you want to direct insert the resistor packs from the assembler that makes them into the board building assembler. If you belt these things your throughput gets crippled.

Don't expect it to go quickly, your first Bobs game is probably going to be slow and messy. Enjoy all the new stuff.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

25 hours into my game and I finally get blue science automated and have a centralized research area with 36 labs. The minute I finish my first research tech, I realise I'm poo poo outta petroleum and now have to spend another 30 mins setting up my cracking area to turn heavy > light and light > petro.

I'm loving this game though. Most organized and efficient I've ever been, but I've not achieved as much as I did in my spaghetti-monster factories of the past. Everything took so long to set up because I'm playing on RSO, so rail infrastructure was a huge timesink + setting up ore outposts. On top of that, I wanted to build HUGE so I kept getting sidetracked with other tasks to ensure I kept everything as neat as possible.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

25 hours into my game and I finally get blue science automated and have a centralized research area with 36 labs. The minute I finish my first research tech, I realise I'm poo poo outta petroleum and now have to spend another 30 mins setting up my cracking area to turn heavy > light and light > petro.

I'm loving this game though. Most organized and efficient I've ever been, but I've not achieved as much as I did in my spaghetti-monster factories of the past. Everything took so long to set up because I'm playing on RSO, so rail infrastructure was a huge timesink + setting up ore outposts. On top of that, I wanted to build HUGE so I kept getting sidetracked with other tasks to ensure I kept everything as neat as possible.

You want to see huge rail? Pop into the Dytech server and enjoy a scenic 3 minute ride across the map. I think YARM put one of the patches at 6800 chunks or something silly. The worst part is I explored the whole drat map on foot...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

You want to see huge rail? Pop into the Dytech server and enjoy a scenic 3 minute ride across the map. I think YARM put one of the patches at 6800 chunks or something silly. The worst part is I explored the whole drat map on foot...

I can't wait for my game to expand to that. Setting up long-distance railway lines where the travel times are 2 mins+ would be loving awesome.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Early bird release 0.14.9

quote:

FactorioBot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:53 am

Changes
Added admin field to server-settings.json, list of case-sensitive usernames that will become admins on connecting.
Admins are exempt from player count limit.

Bugfixes
Fixed that the server could be running even if it was supposed to be stopped.
Fixed Modded key bindings would fire extra times if 2 mods had the same keybinding. (33050)
Fixed that parsing players by index in scripts didn't work correctly. (33125)
Fixed that Factorio wouldn't release memory back to the OS after unloading a large save on Linux. (33151)
Fixed crash when restarting Factorio due to mod change when executable is read-only on Linux. (32991)
Game will no longer be capped at 300UPS when using high game.speed and vsync. New cap is FPS*5*game.speed. (33123)
Fixed possible crashes when setting combinator parameters.
Fixed that clients could send a lot of useless data when recovering after connectiontion problems while playing multiplayer game.
Fixed that recipe overload_multiplier wasn't used for furnaces. (33121)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FactorioBot posted:

• Changes
    • Added admin field to server-settings.json, list of case-sensitive usernames that will become admins on connecting.
    • Admins are exempt from player count limit.

• Bugfixes
    • Fixed that the server could be running even if it was supposed to be stopped.
    • Fixed Modded key bindings would fire extra times if 2 mods had the same keybinding. (https://forums.factorio.com/33050)
    • Fixed that parsing players by index in scripts didn't work correctly. (https://forums.factorio.com/33125)
    • Fixed that Factorio wouldn't release memory back to the OS after unloading a large save on Linux. (https://forums.factorio.com/33151)
    • Fixed crash when restarting Factorio due to mod change when executable is read-only on Linux. (https://forums.factorio.com/32991)
    • Game will no longer be capped at 300UPS when using high game.speed and vsync. New cap is FPS*5*game.speed. (https://forums.factorio.com/33123)
    • Fixed possible crashes when setting combinator parameters.
    • Fixed that clients could send a lot of useless data when recovering after connectiontion problems while playing multiplayer game.
    • Fixed that recipe overload_multiplier wasn't used for furnaces. (https://forums.factorio.com/33121)

Quote the post rather than copy and paste it.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

quote:

Changes:
-Admins can be made a thing, type the names to make a destiny.
-Admins are not actually players now to the servers counter.

Fixes:
- Server does not go when go is stop.
- Keys do not double team you.
- The player index no longer refuses to cooperate with the designated parser person.
- Stopped game from stealing Linux's lunch memory.
- Game doesn't refuse to work when reading week is active and a moderator changes.

-Took away game's fedora, told it to grow up.
-Fixed game's hatred of addition.
-Clientele no longer give loads of counterfeit packet feeds when they manage to get the revolving door to work.
-Stopped stuffing the furnaces with recipe paper.
Go silly instead of sassy.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

FISHMANPET posted:

The problem is your signal layout.

If you've played OpenTTD, then chain signals act like pre-signals. If you haven't, then basically you need one chain signal in front of the entire set of stations, and nothing else in between, otherwise, your trains will travel right up to the next clear signal and wait there.

I went and made a quick test of the whole thing: http://imgur.com/a/PvDpH

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
See all those blue signals in my screenshot? They're all chain signals. Trains aren't getting stuck inside the junction, they're getting stuck outside. The signaling is correct.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Trains pick their destination when they leave the station, and do not seem to change their destination even if there are multiple same name stations. They will adjust their path itself to their destination if they are stuck at a blue chain signal for some time. In my present game, I have one drop off point, with a staging area next door with a parking pathway for every train in the network to wait in. Each parking path has a chain signal at the end and is setup similarly, which worked fine up until I got to having 20+ trains in the network, when I added 10 more parking paths. Now I'm getting backup into the rail network and the path switching doesn't at least appear to be happening, possibly because there's too many options for getting into the drop off zone and it doesn't iterate through every option?

Below the parking zone is a single rail with a chain signal and each parking path has a regular signal at the start of it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Finished a 9 hour game. Have satisfactorily proved to myself that I want nothing to do with the planning and APM that goes into an 8 hour game.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've tended to split up my rail heads just as a hunch sort of thing rather than build one huge beast station. Spreading the pathing around works for me at least but we're seeing similar congestion problems in Dreds big train MP game near the sorter. Signals are good, there's space for the trains but they keep getting clogged up anyway. All the triains going to one place just doesn't seem to work too cleanly.

For people puzzling over Bobs (or us in the Dytech save), this mod was published today: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MrDoomah/what-is-it-used-for

If it works as advertised (I'll try it in solo play before it goes near the server) it'll be a godsend. Tells you how to make and item or which recipes an item (or fluid) is used in.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You really don't need apm to do an 8 hour game. Planning, yes. But, 8 hours gives you a lot of leeway in terms of executing that plan.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I expanded my demo railway, and yeah, I noticed some issues with trains waiting around at blue chain signals, even though there were empty slots for them to pull forward into. Especially when it came to having a waiting bay for the trains.

I tried to take a screenshot, but it didn't save properly.

I don't have a really good solution, outside of making the stations a bit smaller, or having less trains for that part, or just having a really long, snaking waiting area instead of a trainyard type bay.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Or put stations in the waiting zone and direct trains to them individually first is what I just realized

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought FISHMANPET figured out the solution was to use a dummy station on the schedule at what would be the preceding signal to refresh path finding at the last moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Today's Friday facts is interesting and has a nice preview of the animation the rail tanker pumps will be using.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-157

Especially interesting to me was them name dropping the mod to remove map decorations. It cuts our Dytech save from 88MB to 29MB - 60MB of bushes etc which we don't see because we've concreted the base area.