Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
We know surf is still a move, Oranguru gets Wishiwashi to use it in the reveal video.

As that and Waterfall are the only ones I care about, yay for HM death. Realistically, the 'partner' pokemon aren't going to replace your dudes wholesale. My gut is that you still have HMs and can teach your mons HMs to use, but you can call the partner mons like you could call Latias/Latios to Soar also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the HM designation has been removed, and instead the HM moves have become TMs (for which there is precedence).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So they're taking out HMs but we're keeping them as moves?

Good. HMs are garbage and I hate having to haul out a specific pokemon for a specific task to move forward.

mabels big day posted:

did you use the exp share?

All the time, non-stop exp share.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Manatee Cannon posted:

you mean volcarona, volcanion is a gen 6 event legendary

Speaking of Steampunkmon, has Game Freak given out any more information about next month's Volcanion giveaway?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Hoffadoff posted:

So quick question. Has anyone got the newsletter with the darkrai code yet? I'm pretty sure I'm still signed up for it but I haven't received poo poo yet. Just wondering if I missed it.

I'm also curious about this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nth Doctor posted:

Speaking of Steampunkmon, has Game Freak given out any more information about next month's Volcanion giveaway?

You go to a pokemon center and get handed one with no fanfare.

The way they've handled event mon distribution is probably the worst most :effort: thing about pokemon currently. Why bother having Legendaries like Volcanion, Hoopa, Diancie if their only role is to be handed to you through various low fanfare online distribution?

:psyduck:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

The way they've handled event mon distribution is probably the worst most :effort: thing about pokemon currently. Why bother having Legendaries like Volcanion, Hoopa, Diancie if their only role is to be handed to you through various low fanfare online distribution?

Agreed. They need fewer Legendaries and to incorporate the ones they have into plots outside of those movies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Like what I don't get is why they don't have distro like they used to have programmed with things like the Azure Flute, Eon Ticket, etc. where you got a key item and had to at least go somewhere and have a cutscene/tiny adventure.

Or make a Delta Episode for every new Legendary that isn't part of the main plot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I still don't get how this system is going to work but I am glad they finally ditched the conventional HM system so I can't complain.

I'm gonna guess that every other trial you'll unlock a Poke Ride, like in the first one you're supposed to find spices and stuff so the trial captain will allow you to use Stoutland to do the trial and the second one has you facing wishiwashi so the trial captain will unlock Lapras for you to surf that way, afterwards you get to call on those pokerides whenever you want.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. They need fewer Legendaries and to incorporate the ones they have into plots outside of those movies.

it's a pretty good marketing ploy to have 1 or 2 tied to movies, that's not gonna stop

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktskEn5q7gg

...poo poo dialogue, poo poo animation, no battle choreography and a third of the shots are pretty detailed.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

...poo poo dialogue, poo poo animation, no battle choreography and a third of the shots are pretty detailed.

MUCH LIKE YOUR Pyeah, this one wasn't as good as the previous ones.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not surprising that he became the champion when he had an Alakazam. What a tryhard!

The delivery of the "I'd thought you'd be completing the Pokedex" line was hilarious.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

thE POKEDEX IS A TOOL TO BE STRONGER

I will sit on the THrone. YOu'll lose. And I'll Be Champion.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Lorelei though

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌poo poo right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Blue's VA was... bad, everyone else was at least okay.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I hope that not all the shorts are like this. I wouldn't mind a few "cooldown" episodes that aren't as intense as they're making them out to be.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't remember the elite four coming off as super loving menacing like in that short.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

mabels big day posted:

Lorelei though

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌poo poo right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good poo poo

Same

Blastoise sticking its head into its shell was also top notch

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Golden Goat posted:

I don't remember the elite four coming off as super loving menacing like in that short.

If you're 8 and this is your first Pokémon game and you're under-leveled, then they probably are.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

they're villains in the manga

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Manga don't count.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mabels big day posted:

From what I've heard about the manga pretty much everyone is a villain.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

gary is such a rude little poo poo, hes great

i wish there were more rivals as fun as him

smell ya later

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Blue acts exactly like I imagined my own character acting in-game when I was 8 years old, hyper loving arrogant and talking a lot of poo poo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day posted:

Lorelei though

Lorelei has always been the primo pokemon babe, and all these new pretenders like Cynthia are just that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

StandardVC10 posted:

From what I've heard about the manga pretty much everyone is a villain.

Also the manga is bad

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Uh. Isn't their dialogue the pre-battle/post-battle quotes from RBY? At for least Lorelei and Bruno. Also I'm pretty sure "So' you're finally here" is also taken from the game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Lorelei has always been the primo pokemon babe, and all these new pretenders like Cynthia are just that.

truth

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zore posted:

I get that there's no fanfare. I was just wondering if dates were firmed up to anything aside from just "October".

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That was a pretty fun episode.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't see it

There's a plant Kirlia in Sonic X part 2. Tails is in love with her and eventually kills her with a gently caress off laser.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Golden Goat posted:

So they're taking out HMs but we're keeping them as moves?

Good. HMs are garbage and I hate having to haul out a specific pokemon for a specific task to move forward.

All the time, non-stop exp share.

Wait, did I miss something? I thought we were just talaking about ways they could circumvent needing HM's. Did they say they were actually taking them out?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

Wait, did I miss something? I thought we were just talaking about ways they could circumvent needing HM's. Did they say they were actually taking them out?

Well Surf exists at least so they probably work in tandem with the 'partner' pokemon. But we do know those 'partner' pokemon replicate various formerly HM only things, much like Latias/Latios did with Soar in ORAS.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

PSWII60 posted:

I think it's that based on what we've seen (Charizard with a harness and whatnot) that it's a really good bet that they've turned every HM into a Latios/Latias style summon like in ORAS

Which has been overdue for like, oh, 5 generations of games

Also the new Generations vid was kinda cool--I'm hoping we see an animated gym battle in one of the absurd 3D gyms though. Like Courmaline City would be really neat to see animated

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 23, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

So I've been watching a ton of Cybertron's videos (Road to Ranked 2016) and so far I'm wondering:

Are the teams constructed the way they are because someone discovered a really good mix and then everyone bridged out from there, or is it from years of figuring out who's bad and who's not?

I guess I mean is it necessarily the case that any Pokemon *not* in the teams I'm seeing are bad because people have discovered they're bad, or is it just that people are comfortable with the Pokes people have already determined are good?

Aside from obviously having to carry Kyogre/Groudon weather counters, where does someone start team constructing? It just seems that anytime Cybertron comes across something that's not in the orthodoxy he gets really surprised and put on the back foot, to a point where it seems like, since a huge huge percentage of the meta play is in predictions, playing a team that is outside the mainstream would make it hard to predict and thus prone to upsets?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think it's that based on what we've seen (Charizard with a harness and whatnot) that it's a really good bet that they've turned every HM into a Latios/Latias style summon like in ORAS

As long as I don't have to sit through the animation every time again I'll be all for it. I ended up using fly all the time, just because you just go where you click.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Waffles Inc. posted:

So I've been watching a ton of Cybertron's videos (Road to Ranked 2016) and so far I'm wondering:

Are the teams constructed the way they are because someone discovered a really good mix and then everyone bridged out from there, or is it from years of figuring out who's bad and who's not?

I guess I mean is it necessarily the case that any Pokemon *not* in the teams I'm seeing are bad because people have discovered they're bad, or is it just that people are comfortable with the Pokes people have already determined are good?

Aside from obviously having to carry Kyogre/Groudon weather counters, where does someone start team constructing? It just seems that anytime Cybertron comes across something that's not in the orthodoxy he gets really surprised and put on the back foot, to a point where it seems like, since a huge huge percentage of the meta play is in predictions, playing a team that is outside the mainstream would make it hard to predict and thus prone to upsets?

that's generally how anti-meta things work in any competitive thing yeah

the top tier players will find a meta that works and wins often, other players will try and find ways to beat specifically that popular meta and it'll throw people off. its a combination of knowing the base stats for pokemon and what beats what at certain speed tiers with someone finding a decent combo and building around it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

As long as I don't have to sit through the animation every time again I'll be all for it. I ended up using fly all the time, just because you just go where you click.

You will 100% have to sit through the animation every time. Its literally a loading screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

PSWII60 posted:

They definitely aren't removing the attacks