Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some countries have other services with Amazon deals. In Canada it's on Shomi, another $8/month streaming service from some Canadian TV providers.

They tried to restrict it to only their customers but the CRTC (Canada's FCC) said gently caress no and now everyone can sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon spent a fortune on getting the Top Gear people they will probably announce some deals around the world. Nobody cares about Top Gear in the US it's a worldwide thing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Amazon isn't available outside the US though, which is another big hurdle.

It's in the UK, we just don't get addons like starz or seeso. Different library too, just like Netflix :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

What are you talking about? Did you just make this up? Amazon Video is available in many other countries.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've still got 1? episode of Vikings left, but I still don't know what is supposed to be so awesome about Bjorn. His little survival quest where he killed the bear and the berzerker was cool, but he's still the most boring and undeveloped character. Like, King Aelle has more of a personality than him. He doesn't seem to have any real personality or scrutable goals or motivations. Like yeah, he's a good-looking badass, but he seems to be the most 2-dimensional main character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

What are you talking about? Did you just make this up? Amazon Video is available in many other countries.

There's only one other country that matters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What's hosed up is that Amazon isn't available in Brazil. You know, where the Amazon is...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Goons don't watch Transparent because they don't care about trans people. I'm only half-joking, but why would you expect goons to be much different from most of American society

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean... It's not that I don't care about trans-people, but I know nothing about the show except that it's about trans-people. If I heard it was a really good drama (that happened to be about trans-people) I might be interested in it. But I don't view trans-people as a novelty and so a show being about trans-people doesn't, by itself, attract me to the show. This is actually the first time I've ever heard the show brought up in conversation.

The thing is, with today's targeted marketing, I can't even say that the show is being marketed poorly. It's possible it's just not being marketed to me. I haven't seen an ad for the show since it started. I've maybe seen one ad total. I didn't even know it was still going on. I guess in some sense that is poor marketing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon spent a fortune on getting the Top Gear people they will probably announce some deals around the world. Nobody cares about Top Gear in the US it's a worldwide thing.

I care but not enough to pay for prime when I already get the free 2 day shipping for free.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
As a handicapped person, I say you must watch Speechless instead of those hippityhop superhero shows the kids are into these days.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Umm pretty sure I watch Amazon in the UK.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

feedmegin posted:

Umm pretty sure I watch Amazon in the UK.

So sad that you can't watch amazon where you live *sigh*

3peat
May 6, 2010

Is Queen of the South worth watching? If not, something else? I want a show to binge this weekend, preferably something without a cast of white americans (im really tired of them)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

MrBuddyLee posted:

I dunno man, the trans-relevant aspects of the show are great, but the rest of it is "awful people being awful to each other" which other shows are doing better imo. I liked season 1 ok, but after one ep of s2 I haven't mustered the strength to go back.
Sometimes I feel like show after S1 would be better if Moira's kids weren't in the show 80% of the time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

3peat posted:

Is Queen of the South worth watching? If not, something else? I want a show to binge this weekend, preferably something without a cast of white americans (im really tired of them)

Haven't seen it, but The Get Down would be perfect for a weekend binge and a great cast of actors of color.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

3peat posted:

preferably something without a cast of white americans (im really tired of them)

because watching Mexican serial killer drug traffickers instead will surely restore your faith in humanity

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I mean... It's not that I don't care about trans-people, but I know nothing about the show except that it's about trans-people. If I heard it was a really good drama (that happened to be about trans-people) I might be interested in it. But I don't view trans-people as a novelty and so a show being about trans-people doesn't, by itself, attract me to the show.

this seems like it's more your fault for not paying attention. the insane amount of acclaim for the show has hardly been a secret.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

this seems like it's more your fault for not paying attention. the insane amount of acclaim for the show has hardly been a secret.

I mean, sure, but it doesn't change the fact that I haven't been exposed to the show at all. I see ads for plenty of shows, not this one. This is the first time it's come up in this thread. That right there is 100% of where I learn about shows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, it legit sucks to navigate Amazon a lot of the time

I have prime because I use Amazon enough to make the free 2-day shipping worth the price, and I never watch anything on there because the navigation is such poo poo.

Also because Amazon doesn't have an Android TV app like Hulu and Netflix do, and lmao if you think I'm getting a Fire TV just for that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 23, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bosch is pretty good, worth dealing with the UI.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon Video might be slightly more widely-used in the UK due to having lots of deals where they get new eps the day after airing in America. For example Preacher, Vikings, Mr. Robot, and I think Parks (which is surprisingly popular over here, at least from people I know) is on there now too.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Parks (which is surprisingly popular over here, at least from people I know)

Really? That is surprising to me.

Gotta admit, a show centered around British Parliament or some other form of modern foreign government would have to be pretty loving charming for me to check it out.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

timp posted:

Gotta admit, a show centered around British Parliament or some other form of modern foreign government would have to be pretty loving charming for me to check it out.

The Thick of It is the best British comedy ever made

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, TTOI is great. If anyone's a fan of Veep and somehow doesn't know about it or In the Loop, they're missing out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Why don't goons watch Transparent? I know "because it's not about a superhero or high fantasy bullshit" but any actual reasons?

Because I didn't like it. It was a "comedy" that wasn't funny. And as a drama it failed to grab me in any way. The acting is amazing but I can't get into a show based 100% on acting if I'm not into the actual execution of the show. That reasoning might be true for some people but there's plenty of people around here that watch way more than those two genres.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 23, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Amazon streaming is only really worth it for the TV selection in the UK, as the movie selection is generally awful. Saying that, now that Netflix have completely clamped down on accessing other regions, most of their selection is pretty bad as well.

Also, my new addiction is 90 DAY FIANCE.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At this point, post-VPNs, I pretty much only still pay for Netflix for the convenience of their own shows/because my account is logged in on my house's 4K TV and nobody else would pay for ultra HD. Can't exactly claim it's been worth the money for several months.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Kraps posted:

As a handicapped person, I say you must watch Speechless instead of those hippityhop superhero shows the kids are into these days.

I already ditched all the superhero shows, and I'm in for Speechless because of Minnie Driver with her natural accent. yessssss. :swoon:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I knew very little about Speechless before I saw it and I was like "this is pretty okay, but Cedric Yarborough as the janitor is great! kind of weird to get him in for a supporting role though" because I don't really actively think about what's coming next when I watch television unless it's a mystery show. So yeah, once he became the interpreter I was pretty happy with it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I've still got 1? episode of Vikings left, but I still don't know what is supposed to be so awesome about Bjorn. His little survival quest where he killed the bear and the berzerker was cool, but he's still the most boring and undeveloped character. Like, King Aelle has more of a personality than him. He doesn't seem to have any real personality or scrutable goals or motivations. Like yeah, he's a good-looking badass, but he seems to be the most 2-dimensional main character.

He's understated but I like him because he is definitely the product of his parents. He seems to be inheriting Ragnar's vision to some extent but is still firmly rooted in Lagertha's pragmatism and traditionalism.

Given the mid-season finale it seems like he'll be poised to have a chance to stand out moving forward.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mu Zeta posted:

top gear is actually pretty popular in america iirc

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Terry Jones has dementia. :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tortolia posted:

He's understated but I like him because he is definitely the product of his parents. He seems to be inheriting Ragnar's vision to some extent but is still firmly rooted in Lagertha's pragmatism and traditionalism.

Given the mid-season finale it seems like he'll be poised to have a chance to stand out moving forward.

I agree with that. He definitely seems like a product of his parents. I hope they start giving him something good to work with.

I feel like season 4 has been the weakest season from a narrative perspective. Some good poo poo happens, but it seems less cohesive than any of the previous seasons.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

CaptainYesterday posted:

Terry Jones has dementia. :(

This sucks super hard. :( He has a young child too.

Speaking of that, well... I'll do it. I'll be the rear end in a top hat who actually says it: Terry left his previous wife of 40 years for a woman in her 20s, which is a kinda lovely thing to do, so I'm not too sorry for him and his wife. But it's a terrible loss for his kid and the world.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like that's something that happened since he started feeling the affects, so might be related to the diagnoses.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I watched the first half or so of the first episode of Get Down and it came across as absurdly cheesy. Like after school special levels. Am I wrong?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're not wrong. But I guess it depends on how positive/negative/neutral you mean to be with the word cheesy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really didn't care for the first episode of The Get Down either, but the season as a whole is pretty great. I think even by the 2nd episode the tone changes considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MacGyver was an even worse piece of poo poo than it looked if anyone was wondering

• Locked thread