Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Baal posted:

You don't

This is a probably a big spoiler

You do get to kick his loving teeth in though.

Is this the 5th or 6th dungeon? I looked at it because I already know what happens (but am in the middle of opening dungeon 5 up because I'm playing on hard)

Ryuji's special thing is that you have to wait for him to invite you to Monjayaki, which you should have already done. If you get him to MAX, you get his special form which looks cool :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the seventh dungeon on a cruise ship, sixth dungeon is someone else afaik.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 23, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hate the "game ends when MC dies" mechanic in Persona games so I dunno why anyone would be happy that it's back

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hate the "game ends when MC dies" mechanic in Persona games so I dunno why anyone would be happy that it's back

its a challenging mechanic that shifts focus from "keep at least one person alive"

i find it fun, especially if enemies start focus firing weaknesses

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't find it fun when stray bullshit hits my MC that just happens to crit him by blatant luck of the draw. Which is what all of my non boss deaths have been.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Persona 5 is bad, pre-order canceled.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hard Mode

> Get into a fight without a surprise CHANCE attack. Oops there's an Anubis without any resists.

> He immediately takes the first attack. AOE with a crit on somebody

> He does another attack.

> Oh wait he gets a third attack again and immediately one shots your main character.

> Would you like to begin from the last Save Room? Or Quit the Game?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ntan1 posted:

Hard Mode

> Get into a fight without a surprise CHANCE attack. Oops there's an Anubis without any resists.

> He immediately takes the first attack. AOE with a crit on somebody

> He does another attack.

> Oh wait he gets a third attack again and immediately one shots your main character.

> Would you like to begin from the last Save Room? Or Quit the Game?

Seems like you would not want to play on hard then

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
nah hard mode is fun :3

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hard mode is my butt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anubis is a really annoying enemy to fight if you're not carrying status effects and he's annoying even then.

That said, at least as far as I am, P5's flaws are all basically stuff that exists in the earlier games and even then most of them are improvements. The worst I can say is they didn't fix as much as I'd have liked and even then it's still a large improvement in a lot of areas. As much as I'm not fond of the Pyramid's length it is still more fun to explore than the P4 dungeons were. The combat system changes are almost all for the better. The worst thing I can say is that it's a bit easy if you're not being stupid and that is SMT in a nutshell.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 23, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baal posted:

It's the seventh dungeon on a cruise ship, sixth dungeon is someone else afaik.

Oh, is that a reference to the Nichirinmaru?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It could be but I haven't played enough of EP or even gotten to the dungeon yet to say otherwise

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Picked up SMT4:A a few days ago, FINALLY got a day off of work to actually play it. Got one thing to say. I can't believe Navarre is loving dead. Otherwise from what I've seen (On normal) the game is definitely a step forward in the right direction on how a sequel should be. Spells can crit, Dexterity isn't the Be-all End-all physical stat (I'm building a Magic character with a bit of Agility and Dexterity on the side) and you see enemies actually dodge and hear them emote in battle.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 23, 2016

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Baal posted:

It could be but I haven't played enough of EP or even gotten to the dungeon yet to say otherwise

It's important not to understate how long the game is. I'm 49 hours into the game, and have only beaten the fourth dungeon. And there are apparently 7 total?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've heard the true end is an actual thing too, but to what level people seem very uncertain. Like there is supposed to be ANOTHER THING after the seventh dungeon, but it's very confusing and I can't find anything concrete mostly because I don't want to dig any deeper than base poo poo about the end game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

I've heard the true end is an actual thing too, but to what level people seem very uncertain. Like there is supposed to be ANOTHER THING after the seventh dungeon, but it's very confusing and I can't find anything concrete mostly because I don't want to dig any deeper than base poo poo about the end game.

Yeah, I'm sort of thankful that I'm going through relatively slowly because once I start approaching the end I'll have a better idea of if it is even a thing that exists.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Futaba is a Jet Set Radio character design and she's hilarious, also have this pic of sparklers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Futaba's extremely long neck especially in her pharaoh getup unnerves me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Futaba's extremely long neck especially in her pharaoh getup unnerves me.

Tae has a strangely long neck in the official art, and it always weirds me out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Futaba please stop trying to take Yusuke's lobsters

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I see no manly man thongs :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I see no manly man thongs :(

Clearly Yusuke is not in his swimwear yet.

Edit: Also, Futaba is incredibly short. Wow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

japanese girls can be really tiny depending on genetics. i know a woman who's like 4'7''.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tae has a strangely long neck in the official art, and it always weirds me out.

Yukari does too, but it's easy to miss since she usually wears a collared shirt with a choker. And then you get to the beach scene and it's super loving unnerving.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Baal posted:

The japanese FAQs said that they digged through most of the game data on the PS3 versions and didn't find anything indicating a true ending. Just a good and bad.

ENJOY YOUR DLC

PS: Is Futaba still afraid of cats? I'm like 10 days before the day your image is from.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: Also, Futaba is incredibly short. Wow.
She's a gremlin, what do you expect?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ntan1 posted:

The japanese FAQs said that they digged through most of the game data on the PS3 versions and didn't find anything indicating a true ending. Just a good and bad.

ENJOY YOUR DLC

PS: Is Futaba still afraid of cats? I'm like 10 days before the day your image is from.

She started petting Morgana and he got annoyed, so I think she's cooling down

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Any good streams (archived of course) that have footage of gameplay from start to first boss? Curious about how the day-to-day parts feel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

Any good streams (archived of course) that have footage of gameplay from start to first boss? Curious about how the day-to-day parts feel.
try this

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I feel like they dropped the ball with some of P5's ultimate personas.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk it's gonna be hard to top Amaterasu for lameass ultimate persona designs

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, the loving school trip is in America. Hawaii, specifically.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TurnipFritter posted:

I feel like they dropped the ball with some of P5's ultimate personas.

They've always been dropping the ball with some of them. I'll never get over Yosuke's, Jiraya was so much cooler than Susanoo.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

They've always been dropping the ball with some of them. I'll never get over Yosuke's, Jiraya was so much cooler than Susanoo.

Oh yeah, totally. Even back in Persona 2 you had stinkers like Astoria and Prometheus

But here since the starters are generally really loving awesome looking, it's sort of a let down on how they evolve.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I haven't seen any of the designs for the ultimate Personas, but I think it's kinda weird how all of the initial ones are Western mythological figures that have never been used in Persona before... and then the evolved versions are all ones that have been in the series for years. As neat as it is to see stuff like Zorro and the Three Musketeers referenced in Persona, 4's were more thematically consistent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

answer a: it's to recognize that they see themsevles as outsiders with no future or place in Japanese society, but through their bonds with each other and their friendship, they see that even if a place doesn't exist for them, they can make one themselves, and they shouldn't feel like they 'don't belong'

answer b: they ran out of ideas

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

I haven't seen any of the designs for the ultimate Personas, but I think it's kinda weird how all of the initial ones are Western mythological figures that have never been used in Persona before... and then the evolved versions are all ones that have been in the series for years. As neat as it is to see stuff like Zorro and the Three Musketeers referenced in Persona, 4's were more thematically consistent.

The upgrades show enlightenment: The starters are very small time, human figures*, with very human perspectives, and they upgrade to deities where it's like, "Oh yeah, there's a bigger picture here, it's not just about screwing over a rich rear end in a top hat."

*Well, except Futaba, I guess. But her upgrade tracks better than anyone else's, tbh, since it goes from a source of forbidden knowledge that drives people mad to a source of forbidden knowledge that helps people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

got any tips for somebody starting smt4 for the first time?