Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I suppose that makes sense, McWoD is a mixture of some actually interesting setting details combined with the World of Darkness archetypes being twisted to fit into a d20 mold creating two good classes (Mage and werewolf) and two horrible classes (Vampire and Demon). Makes me wonder how much he was specifically responsible for and how much he stole from another setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Monte Cooke is the moon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Something Awful TG should really look into creating an award.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

moths posted:

Something Awful TG should really look into creating an award.

Your posting would lose

:smaug:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Haha, no I mean an industry award. This is probably the only tabletop gaming forum that isn't in the pocket of BIG D20 and capable of presenting an award that's actually worth winning.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think the problem with that is that for the most part board culture around here is in the pocket of BIG PBTA.

e: Which isn't a "problem" per se, but any RPG board is going to have bias based on that board's culture.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I figure starting your own award is as simple as rounding up a single-digit number of judges and having someone design an icon that award-winners can slap on their products. Then you just start awarding.

How you get your award to take off... I have no idea. v:shobon:v

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll consult my Hipster Pseudo-Activist Cultural Marxist Pomofascist masters and see what we can do.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
We're calling these the Swinies, I assume?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

some loving LIAR posted:

We're calling these the Swinies, I assume?

The Awfuls, obviously.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Every pull quote should be "It was truly something awful."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Monte Cooke is the moon.

A pale reflection of the sun's nurturing light? It fits.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I know y'all are joking but this sounds like a legitimately good idea under the right leadership.

Also it should have a Razzie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zurui posted:

That's one of those things that sounds like a fun idea until you remember how ridiculously defensive people get about their favorite RPGs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's one of those things that sounds like a fun idea until you remember how ridiculously defensive people get about their favorite RPGs.

And then it's hilarious.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

I know y'all are joking but this sounds like a legitimately good idea under the right leadership.

Call it the Synnie.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much honestly, our CIA ties will keep the haters from being too critical of our decisions. Or else...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Traditional games don't really need a Razzie because it would just fuel the recipient's persecution complex and harassment agenda.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

moths posted:

Traditional games don't really need a Razzie because it would just fuel the recipient's persecution complex and harassment agenda.

Uwe Boll's exist in all mediums. Criticism of work is not a personal attack, but in all industries there will be those who take it that way. What are you gonna do, let them get away with it?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
This comes up literally every time this 'SA should do its own award' comes up. Worst game is probably a great way to get shitbags tracking down your home address.

Serf
May 5, 2011

remusclaw posted:

Uwe Boll's exist in all mediums. Criticism of work is not a personal attack, but in all industries there will be those who take it that way. What are you gonna do, let them get away with it?

Uwe Boll, to my knowledge, has not sicced hate mobs on his critics and gotten people to send death threats. TG is almost a unique industry in that way.

I say we do earnest, actual awards and not some Razzie garbage that people would expect from us.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Regardless the award's physical form likely aught to be a pineapple grenade with numbers printed on the frangible's.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serf posted:

Uwe Boll, to my knowledge, has not sicced hate mobs on his critics and gotten people to send death threats. TG is almost a unique industry in that way.

I say we do earnest, actual awards and not some Razzie garbage that people would expect from us.

You don't think people have been targeted over their public criticism of other media? That is what gamer-gate is. Critics have gotten death threats over their opinion on Superhero movies. Criticism is dangerous no matter the subject.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Serf posted:

He has personally beaten them into submission, though.*

* the ones he outclassed in weight, anyway. I don't think he ever boxed anyone bigger than himself.

(Not trying to make light of doxxing or death threats here, or any of the stuff the usual suspects get up to, just to be absolutely clear.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

neongrey posted:

This comes up literally every time this 'SA should do its own award' comes up. Worst game is probably a great way to get shitbags tracking down your home address.

Serf posted:

I actually have a solution for this that will appease both nonexistent camps.

Give me the award, I'll put one deliberately terrible game a year for free or something. That way, people can focus on good games and be all "Ha ha, Kwyndig won worst game of the year again." It's not like I'd ever sic my fans on people... it's not like I even have fans.

Serf
May 5, 2011

remusclaw posted:

You don't think people have been targeted over their public criticism of other media? That is what gamer-gate is. Critics have gotten death threats over their opinion on Superhero movies. Criticism is dangerous no matter the subject.

Gamergate pertained to video games. Which is why I said TG is almost unique. What fans does Uwe Boll have to send at his critics? I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not he poses an actual threat to people.

Falstaff posted:

He has personally beaten them into submission, though.*

* the ones he outclassed in weight, anyway. I don't think he ever boxed anyone bigger than himself.

(Not trying to make light of doxxing or death threats here, or any of the stuff the usual suspects get up to, just to be absolutely clear.)

This isn't the same thing as having anonymous followers send death threats and post critics' addresses tho.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The most hurtful thing a contest can do is snub them. Making them the butt of a joke is still attention, unfortunately.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

neongrey posted:

Fortunately we're all terminally depressed sad sacks who welcome the sweet embrace of death.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serf posted:

Gamergate pertained to video games. Which is why I said TG is almost unique. What fans does Uwe Boll have to send at his critics? I'm genuinely curious as to whether or not he poses an actual threat to people.

This isn't the same thing as having anonymous followers send death threats and post critics' addresses tho.

Uwe Boll was an example, it's not like he solely among all filmmakers has critics. The content creator does not need to approve for fans to be shitheads, they often take that up on their own, and have, in any media where there are a significant number of people to create stars. If anything, criticism is a necessary danger, as those who can't take it or who react in a manner that is dangerous to others should absolutely be put on blast for it.

Death threats over Man of Steel
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/dc-fans-send-death-threats-to-2-critics-a140871

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 23, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Countblanc posted:

Fortunately we're all terminally depressed sad sacks who welcome the sweet embrace of death.

Hey, I'm certified not depressed*.

Serf
May 5, 2011

remusclaw posted:

Uwe Boll was an example, it's not like he solely among all filmmakers has critics. The content creator does not need to approve for fans to be shitheads, they often take that up on their own, and have, in any media where there are a significant number of people to create stars. If anything, criticism is a necessary danger, as those who can't take it or who react in a manner that is dangerous to others should absolutely be put on blast for it.

While I agree with you in principle, who are these people supposed to be put on blast to? The industry clearly doesn't care about critics, creators and fans being harassed. It would be one thing if it had even a snowball's chance of accomplishing something, but instead it would just be taking on meaningless risk. I'll tell anybody who will listen how screwed up the community is, but I don't have anything at risk and I also don't expect anything to come of it.

moths posted:

The most hurtful thing a contest can do is snub them. Making them the butt of a joke is still attention, unfortunately.

This is the correct course of action.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

TG is hardly unique. Just look at Vox Day and his nonsense, or the way Zack Snyder behaves (he's stopped just short of actively calling on his fans to go after people, but only just). More than a few devs threw their lot in with gamergate.

It's fair to say that TG is particularly bad about it. It's so niche there's essentially no public opinion cost to being a shitlord, even less than with video games. Plus there's much less buffer between creators and fans, and toxic assholes make up a bigger percentage of the total on both sides of the fence. That has more to do with it being niche - everyone who does TG is a hardcore fan compared to the audiences for most other media.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serf posted:

While I agree with you in principle, who are these people supposed to be put on blast to? The industry clearly doesn't care about critics, creators and fans being harassed. It would be one thing if it had even a snowball's chance of accomplishing something, but instead it would just be taking on meaningless risk. I'll tell anybody who will listen how screwed up the community is, but I don't have anything at risk and I also don't expect anything to come of it.

This is the correct course of action.

The people in this industry still cry over the Satanic panic of the 80's. They care. The more they react like assholes and criminals, the more that kind of stuff gets attention in the mainstream. They get lumped in with the gater's, MRA's, and the alt right and the ones who agree with those causes will not care, but the people who don't will likely be loath to be associated with that group.

Serf
May 5, 2011

remusclaw posted:

The people in this industry still cry over the Satanic panic of the 80's. They care. The more they react like assholes and criminals, the more that kind of stuff gets attention in the mainstream. They get lumped in with the gater's, MRA's, and the alt right and the ones who agree with those causes will not care, but the people who don't will likely be loath to be associated with that group.

The problem is that it will not get attention in the mainstream. Videogames are big enough now that Gamergate did get some media play, but tradgames will never generate enough cash to make people care about what happens here. The biggest name in the business straight-up approves of harassment.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I think the problem with this is that the public opinion response isn't "wow that particular TG designer is bad." If it gets noticed at all, it's "wow TG is awful." There are a lot of people in the hobby who'll harass critics purely because they don't want to brought up at all, for fear of tarring the whole community.

How often do we pillory some designer for essentially telling the harassed that they should just ignore their harassers? That it'd be better for everyone if they shut up about it? Once a week?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Serf posted:

The problem is that it will not get attention in the mainstream. Videogames are big enough now that Gamergate did get some media play, but tradgames will never generate enough cash to make people care about what happens here. The biggest name in the business straight-up approves of harassment.

I still think public criticism is necessary, even if only to get some attention to the issue. You don't fix issues like this by caving in to the assholes. Them winning is not an option, because whether we do it or not, there will be people who criticize, and they will be targeted, and it is absolutely not OK to let the assholes get away with that. If mainstream attention is unattainable, then it is on the decent folk in the hobby itself to make such actions unacceptable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

TG is hardly unique. Just look at Vox Day and his nonsense, or the way Zack Snyder behaves (he's stopped just short of actively calling on his fans to go after people, but only just). More than a few devs threw their lot in with gamergate.

Wait, what? I'm gonna need links on this.

Or is there some other Zack Snyder besides the one who makes superhero movies?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Pretty much every time this forum gives itself permission to broadcast negativity without restraint, the results are awful.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Pretty much every time this forum gives itself permission to broadcast negativity without restraint, the results are awful.

I am obviously not a statistical analysis, but my own experience is that I have managed to avoid giving money to a great deal of lovely people because of the times this forum has gone negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There is no moral consumption under capitalism.

• Locked thread