Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

fordan posted:

Hell, I went on to the Apple Upgrade Program last year with a year remaining on my Verizon contract. Verizon doesn't care if you upgrade your phone before the 2 years is up as long as you aren't looking to get another subsidy on the upgrade. It does mean you'll still be paying the higher subsidy line rate assuming you're on a plan that has a difference like More Everything/Verizon Plan in addition to your AUP phone payment during the overlap.

Oh okay, I assumed switching phones at all would cause an issue. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think I got literal PTSD from every CL transaction ever with this post. I'm still shivering.

That's why he did it right. Met extremely close to his house, laid out the ground rules and stuck to them. Minor inconvenience if the guy pulled poo poo. It's when you are desperate to sell that these jokers get away with that crap. I've resorted to having them text me when they arrive and then I leave my house. Been stood up too many times.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

That's why he did it right. Met extremely close to his house, laid out the ground rules and stuck to them. Minor inconvenience if the guy pulled poo poo. It's when you are desperate to sell that these jokers get away with that crap. I've resorted to having them text me when they arrive and then I leave my house. Been stood up too many times.

Seriously, I never leave until they are there. Starbucks is two blocks away, they can sit for five minutes while I walk over, especially since they (like this guy) are always at least 15 minutes late anyways.

While sitting there waiting for the guy to look over the phone, I got texts from other people wanting it, so whatever. He found a little scatch on it, and started to make a big deal of it, and I just said "well, it's two years old, has applecare+ go get a new phone."

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think I got literal PTSD from every CL transaction ever with this post. I'm still shivering.
Thanks, Verizon (weird saying that) for giving me $650 for my 6 and $400 each for two 5S and sparing me from dealing with CL this year!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just sold my iPhone 6 on CL. We agreed upon a price over text, and I specifically said "the price is $350, will you bring $350 with you? I don't have cash to make change, and if you bring less and haggle, I won't stand for that funny business." He responds "lol, yes, I'll bring $350."

So we meet, and after twenty minutes of him checking the phone (he had a check list of things to review, and I had to stop him from adding his fingerprint and apple ID to it while testing), he decides to take it. He pull out of his pocket $340.

"Will you take $340, it's all I have."

" No I will not, we agreed on $350. You traveled all the way here, and this Starbucks is just next to my house, so I'll just go home, it's fine."

He magically has another $20. "Can you break this?"

I just happened to have $9 one me. "I told you over text that I won't have cash to make change, but I have nine bucks, can you just give me $360, and I'll give you $9, end price for you is $351"

"No, we agreed on $350." He responds.

"Really dude, one dollar?"

"What? then take $340" He says.

"I just laughed. Didn't I text about nonsense?"

"Fine," and he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wallet that is stuffed with cash, and gives me one of the many tens he has in there.

I just took the cash and laughed at him.

Basically craigslist.txt, without any lowball offers up front. It's the reason why I will never sell expensive electronics on there ever again. Swappa or Amazon trade-in for me nowadays.

e: Ya boy Whatley said it best:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Basically craigslist.txt, without any lowball offers up front. It's the reason why I will never sell expensive electronics on there ever again. Swappa or Amazon trade-in for me nowadays.

e: Ya boy Watley said it best:

How much would Amzon give me for an unlocked iPHone6 64gb? Gazelle was like $200, and with Swappa you have to deal with all the lowballing comments that ask you to lower the price, and then you have to pay them and for shipping, so any money is minus $20. I think $350 cash is worth twenty minutes, since I'd have to go to the post office and wait inline there anyways.

I've sold a ton on CL, baby stuff, bikes, etc, and it's always a pain, but I reported it more for the comedy, not for the PSTD.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So has there been any rumors or grumblings around the internet about when the 7+ will be readily available at Apple/phone carrier stores? I've never been up for a new phone around the time of a big release like this and don't really know what to expect regarding availability and all of that jazz.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So has there been any rumors or grumblings around the internet about when the 7+ will be readily available at Apple/phone carrier stores? I've never been up for a new phone around the time of a big release like this and don't really know what to expect regarding availability and all of that jazz.

Use this to check whether your store has what you want in stock and reserve one if it does.

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?iPP=U

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If you can be bothered, use the istocknow website to find one. I spent a couple of hours monitoring stores this afternoon and managed to pick up a 7+ in black earlier at a not too distant store

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Yeah, I've been monitoring iStocknow like a hawk the past few hours. I had the chance at the general manager holding me a Rose Gold one, but I got hesitant about having a pink phone. Now, I'm totally cool about rocking a manly pink phone that it's gone.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just sold my iPhone 6 on CL. We agreed upon a price over text, and I specifically said "the price is $350, will you bring $350 with you? I don't have cash to make change, and if you bring less and haggle, I won't stand for that funny business." He responds "lol, yes, I'll bring $350."

So we meet, and after twenty minutes of him checking the phone (he had a check list of things to review, and I had to stop him from adding his fingerprint and apple ID to it while testing), he decides to take it. He pull out of his pocket $340.

"Will you take $340, it's all I have."

" No I will not, we agreed on $350. You traveled all the way here, and this Starbucks is just next to my house, so I'll just go home, it's fine."

He magically has another $20. "Can you break this?"

I just happened to have $9 one me. "I told you over text that I won't have cash to make change, but I have nine bucks, can you just give me $360, and I'll give you $9, end price for you is $351"

"No, we agreed on $350." He responds.

"Really dude, one dollar?"

"What? then take $340" He says.

"I just laughed. Didn't I text about nonsense?"

"Fine," and he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wallet that is stuffed with cash, and gives me one of the many tens he has in there.

I just took the cash and laughed at him.

This is exactly why I'm leaning towards selling my 6s on swappa and not dealing with any morons face to face.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

flipoff posted:

This is exactly why I'm leaning towards selling my 6s on swappa and not dealing with any morons face to face.

GL with swappa:

will you take $10

will you take $15

lower the price to $15 and I'll pay your via paypal offsite

will you take

etc

And then you send it and get a paypal chargeback.

cash on the barrel my friend, cash on the barrel.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
CL can be good, I got an iPad pro with a smart cover and the pencil for 450 yesterday. Then again, I didn't try to haggle. But the guy turned off find my ipad and imessage right in front of me and then wiped it and it was good.

but yes, as the seller it can be rough.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

GL with swappa:

will you take $10

will you take $15

lower the price to $15 and I'll pay your via paypal offsite

will you take

etc

And then you send it and get a paypal chargeback.

cash on the barrel my friend, cash on the barrel.

So I'm in for a lovely time regardless, hooray :smith:

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I up until yesterday I would have suggested selling it on Amazon as I have done every year since the 4S. That is until I checked and my years of history and 5/5 rating doesn't qualify me to sell apple products unless I pay $40/month on top of the usual fees. At least Verizon will give me $650 for the phone albeit strung out over 2 years. :sigh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Probably mid November. The latest ship dates I've been hearing don't go much farther than November and the initial boom will have died down. The holiday season is coming and that hopefully comes with higher production and definitely a shipping industry that's ramped up.

No way to really tell for sure, but once all the people have to have it near release have theirs Apple should be able to catch up.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

buffbus posted:

I up until yesterday I would have suggested selling it on Amazon as I have done every year since the 4S. That is until I checked and my years of history and 5/5 rating doesn't qualify me to sell apple products unless I pay $40/month on top of the usual fees. At least Verizon will give me $650 for the phone albeit strung out over 2 years. :sigh:

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=9187220011

It's a better deal than Apple(Brightstar)/Gazelle, Brightstar wants to give me a $225 apple giftcard for my 6+ Amazon is offering $270 Amazon credit.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I sold my 6+ on eBay for $405.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Well my UPS flight landed in Alaska. One interesting thing about this whole shipping debacle is, I learned a lot about how cool flight tracking is nowdays. This site has 3D flight tracking :monocle:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey you can see the house I grew up in from there.

Well, the spot it would be since the terrain has abysmal resolution.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Weedle posted:

Use this to check whether your store has what you want in stock and reserve one if it does.

Sadly Missouri and Kansas for some reason don't let you reserve phones, yet another excuse to move out of the middle-west I guess! In any case, thank you for your responses kind goons, I appreciate it!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Linx posted:

If you can be bothered, use the istocknow website to find one. I spent a couple of hours monitoring stores this afternoon and managed to pick up a 7+ in black earlier at a not too distant store
Eh it depends. I mean I could get a Rose Gold one right now if I wanted, but the only other color I've seen in stock today is Silver and that was gone before I could even check out.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

xzzy posted:

Hey you can see the house I grew up in from there.

Well, the spot it would be since the terrain has abysmal resolution.
This explains so much.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

echobucket posted:

Well my UPS flight landed in Alaska. One interesting thing about this whole shipping debacle is, I learned a lot about how cool flight tracking is nowdays. This site has 3D flight tracking :monocle:

The 3D thing is cool (didn't know they did that), but it relies on ADS-B transponders, so the technology itself is quite simple. Airplanes broadcast their call sign, their location, their information (altitude, etc), and amateurs with radios hooked up to their computers listen to it and automatically upload it to the website. That way they have a database of where commercial aircraft are, wherever they have volunteered. I think today or yesterday they announced they are going to partner with a sat constellation to do space-based ADS-B, with 100% worldwide coverage, so they will be able to track flights that are pinging ADS-B worldwide without the need for volunteers with receivers on the ground.

I suppose I shouldn't have said it was simple. The idea of a transponder asking the plane's GPS "where am I" and broadcasting that out is pretty simple, creating a network of civilian receiving stations and then even doing it from space, that's pretty complicated.

edit: It's FlightAware that is doing space-based

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

This explains so much.

Yes, explains why I'm so awesome.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Just had a listen for this supposed buzzing noise inside the iPhone 7 while I was doing a software update. Sure enough, it sounds like there's a tiny dial-up modem inside

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Is anyone else having SMS message failures on iOS 10? I can't seem to send texts to people on non-iPhone devices. Minor rumblings after a Google search, and no fix. Also, on AT&T and iPhone 6...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got my fingerprint edition yesterday.

Getting a leather case today. It feels great with out a case but holy poo poo is it going to get scratched to hell and back.

EDIT: Is the storm gray color new? I don't remember it last year. I had the saddle brown on my 6s+ but decided to go with something new this year so I picked up the gray. I like the new case design a lot better this year.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 24, 2016

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Sadly Missouri and Kansas for some reason don't let you reserve phones, yet another excuse to move out of the middle-west I guess! In any case, thank you for your responses kind goons, I appreciate it!

Yes they do. Try a different time... mornings after the store opens seem to be best.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Weedle posted:

Just to let people know, this link has some bullshit attached to it.

It's only for people who are using the iPhone Upgrade program. if you plan on using anything else, you're out of luck. If you're a current iUP user, you can use something else, but if you want to reserve a phone for your carrier and then use carrier financing devoid of any mention of the iUP, they'll turn you away.

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone else having issues with iOS 10 freezing/crashing? I restored from backup on my 7+ and I'm getting either a complete freeze requiring a hard reboot or a crash to a black screen with the the spinning dealybob about once a day. Going to try resetting and starting out fresh I guess.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
There are like 4 ups flights coming from Alaska to Louisville,KY. I like to imagine they all are full of nothing but jet black iPhones.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I fuckin love shipping chat, keep that poo poo coming.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I fuckin love shipping chat, keep that poo poo coming.
No don't

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just to let people know, this link has some bullshit attached to it.

It's only for people who are using the iPhone Upgrade program. if you plan on using anything else, you're out of luck. If you're a current iUP user, you can use something else, but if you want to reserve a phone for your carrier and then use carrier financing devoid of any mention of the iUP, they'll turn you away.

You don't have to be on the iUP if you just buy the phone outright. I used this link to reserve my 7 Plus and paid full price when I picked it up.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, that too.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Has anybody had a problem with their iPhone 5s being picky with how they're being charged?

My girlfriend's iPhone has had issues charging, starting when we were on vacation in Indonesia. She left it to charge from a wall adapter overnight and it only charged up to 36% until it stopped. Since then, it's been really picky on when it wants to charge. I have a battery bank with 2 outputs, one 1A and the other 2A and the phone only charges from the 2A output.
So we used this till we came back home where all of a sudden, it's not charging from the 2A output but it now does from a USB wall plug with two outputs, but only if it's the only one plugged in. It will stop working once the other USB socket is connected.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My poor man 5c has trouble charging for liek the first 5 seconds that I plug it in and then it fixes itself. No lint or debris in the charge port either, but you could check for that in yours. Just get a paper clips and go crazy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Braincloud posted:

Is anyone else having SMS message failures on iOS 10? I can't seem to send texts to people on non-iPhone devices. Minor rumblings after a Google search, and no fix. Also, on AT&T and iPhone 6...

poo poo like this is why I'm kind of glad it's taking so long for me to get the phone and then I'm loving off for a couple weeks after that with no access to my regular service. Anything showstopping, I can walk away from the order. Anything that needs patching, I'm sure the worst stuff will be worked out by November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I cancelled my black 7+ order and picked up a black 7 since it was available in a store nearby as I'm visiting family. Seeing the plus in person for the hundredth time I still feel like it's too large to do a lot one handed. Matte looks fantastic though and is very close to his the slate color of the 5 was. I actually really like the new home button after using it for a while and holy moley it's fast. As a side note, it was done through IUP and I had initially canceled a jet black IUP order and reordered a matte one because Apple couldn't change it, but it seems like they only ever did one credit check for the first time, fortunately.