Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

uPen posted:

A what?

Exactly what it sounds like. Computers remain useful for a lot longer than they used to be, and most people just use them for basic web browsing and word processing, which depending on the type of usage can be practical as far back as late-model Core 2 Duos. (aka old people on a fixed income who just want to check their email)

Side note: Windows 8 + XP depreciation was fantastic for business because it resulted in a parade of old people demanding an OS with an interface that was similar to XP that didn't confuse them.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.

uPen posted:

A what?

http://compren.com/

Many years ago, I worked at a local Computer Renaissance franchise in a strip shopping center doing repairs. Thankfully, that hell hole has been shut down for a number of years. More than once, I remember the owner yelling at a supplier on the phone in the main showcase area with customers in the store. Lots of cursing and racial epithets were used and customers quickly filed out. He LOVED pcCHIPS motherboards because they were the cheapest he could get for our self-branded machines.

We would have the occasional person stop by mid-day asking if their computer was fixed, but we'd never seen them before and there was no paperwork. Typically what happened is these folks would stop by early in the morning on their way to work before we opened up and just leave their gear in front of the shop's door. When the person who opened showed up, the gear was long gone. Happened at least a half dozen times in my 18 month tenure.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Klenath posted:

We would have the occasional person stop by mid-day asking if their computer was fixed, but we'd never seen them before and there was no paperwork. Typically what happened is these folks would stop by early in the morning on their way to work before we opened up and just leave their gear in front of the shop's door. When the person who opened showed up, the gear was long gone. Happened at least a half dozen times in my 18 month tenure.

Self-selecting for the "people too dumb to own a computer" group.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Our retention is 7 years here for all documents, but I know our corporate office has scans going back to the early- to mid-2000s linked to the customer in NAV.

Related, a pet issue of the CEO (scanning ALL customer paper files and linking them to the customer in NAV) is a pet PEEVE of mine. I can scan a month's worth of service work in an hour max, but actually renaming, moving, and linking all the files with the astronomical amount of bullshit I have to go through in NAV itself (search for customer, open customer, open Links window, hit Add Link, click Select Document because it's not intelligent enough to open a loving window for that when you add a link, navigate to and find the loving thing, select the loving thing, close links window, close customer window, REOPEN customer window to make sure it linked correctly because NAV is a piece of poo poo)...that takes me probably at least a minute or two per customer, which is a grand total of 2 or 3 hours per month that could be better spent doing productive things.

I still have a backlog of stuff to link from July. :mmmhmm:

Also related: Every so often, the Access database that NAV links to, or the server they keep it on, poo poo the bed and work is entirely frozen for days on end while they upgrade servers. How about you move to a more manageable hosting solution for a business with 7 branches doing a massive amount of transactions in that piece of poo poo on a daily loving basis. I maintain that NAV was intended for a distributor, NOT window and door supply and installation companies that don't even USE half of what the program has to offer.

I'd LOVE to CMA with recording customer interactions in the program, but can I? No. Because there's no values in the loving Salutations table for the program to use. So on and loving so forth.

:downsgun:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

D34THROW posted:

Our retention is 7 years here for all documents, but I know our corporate office has scans going back to the early- to mid-2000s linked to the customer in NAV.

Related, a pet issue of the CEO (scanning ALL customer paper files and linking them to the customer in NAV) is a pet PEEVE of mine. I can scan a month's worth of service work in an hour max, but actually renaming, moving, and linking all the files with the astronomical amount of bullshit I have to go through in NAV itself (search for customer, open customer, open Links window, hit Add Link, click Select Document because it's not intelligent enough to open a loving window for that when you add a link, navigate to and find the loving thing, select the loving thing, close links window, close customer window, REOPEN customer window to make sure it linked correctly because NAV is a piece of poo poo)...that takes me probably at least a minute or two per customer, which is a grand total of 2 or 3 hours per month that could be better spent doing productive things.

I still have a backlog of stuff to link from July. :mmmhmm:

Also related: Every so often, the Access database that NAV links to, or the server they keep it on, poo poo the bed and work is entirely frozen for days on end while they upgrade servers. How about you move to a more manageable hosting solution for a business with 7 branches doing a massive amount of transactions in that piece of poo poo on a daily loving basis. I maintain that NAV was intended for a distributor, NOT window and door supply and installation companies that don't even USE half of what the program has to offer.

I'd LOVE to CMA with recording customer interactions in the program, but can I? No. Because there's no values in the loving Salutations table for the program to use. So on and loving so forth.

:downsgun:

ACcess database gave me shivers, and then you said SEVEN BRANCHES?!? How big is the database..? I don't know anything about NAV, is it just a customer, files related to that customer and links to said files or wtf, I don't understand how you can run 7 offices off a single access DB...

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MF_James posted:

ACcess database gave me shivers, and then you said SEVEN BRANCHES?!? How big is the database..? I don't know anything about NAV, is it just a customer, files related to that customer and links to said files or wtf, I don't understand how you can run 7 offices off a single access DB...

Odds are, it's a program that uses the JetSQL driver from Access to pump an SQL database into a flat file - like SQLite does.

If it's actually built out in access, then your shudder was warranted.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
adding .mdb and .accdb to the DFSR filter was one of the happiest days of my life.

Adding it to FSRM may top that :getin:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We have agencies with over 100 customers in multiple branches using our product, which relies on flat file Dbase databases on a network share. Oh, and you have to disable SMB2 and 3 because database consistency is completely reliant on file locking, and opportunistic locking can lead to data corruption, and you can't disable oplocks on SMB2. Then when you suggest they move to our main product, which has SQL server as the back end, they go "well if this product works so poorly, why would I pay.more to convert to a more expensive product?" :eng99:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

We have agencies with over 100 customers in multiple branches using our product, which relies on flat file Dbase databases on a network share. Oh, and you have to disable SMB2 and 3 because database consistency is completely reliant on file locking, and opportunistic locking can lead to data corruption, and you can't disable oplocks on SMB2. Then when you suggest they move to our main product, which has SQL server as the back end, they go "well if this product works so poorly, why would I pay.more to convert to a more expensive product?" :eng99:

Man, my Ford Pinto explodes so much. Why would I pay more for a Lincoln?? :iiaca:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just pull the move that every software company does and yank support for your old poo poo, and offer a really meagre upgrade discount if people move to something from the current decade.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Arsten posted:

Odds are, it's a program that uses the JetSQL driver from Access to pump an SQL database into a flat file - like SQLite does.

If it's actually built out in access, then your shudder was warranted.

I hear NAV I think Microsoft Navision Dynamics I'm supporting 2009 R2 classic if you need someone to share the pain. No external access stuff, but excel imports with ODBC to print labels and stuff.

Mostly because it's sitting on a 5 10k rpm drives with 2 RAID 1s with a shared hoy spare, the worst configuration possible. Such garbage read and write times.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

pixaal posted:

I hear NAV I think Microsoft Navision Dynamics I'm supporting 2009 R2 classic if you need someone to share the pain. No external access stuff, but excel imports with ODBC to print labels and stuff.

Mostly because it's sitting on a 5 10k rpm drives with 2 RAID 1s with a shared hoy spare, the worst configuration possible. Such garbage read and write times.

Yep, Dynamics '09...not sure about R2, I just know Dynamics.

MF_James posted:

It's ERP software. The whole business is run off of that.

The biggest problem? Every day, I do estimates. NAV provides no ability to do estimates or quotes, SO I have to go back to QuickBooks '14 and double-enter the customer data for appropriate estimates and invoicing.

It's either a lovely description of [insert work here] in NAV or a good, detailed description like my boss wants in QuickBooks. :shepicide:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If I may take a moment to bitch about impatient people...

Forwarding me the email you sent to me Friday afternoon (my vacation day) monday morning with no added comment is a great way to make sure I don't give a poo poo about answering it. I've got about 20 emails to catch up on, I don't need to be "Reminded" of any of them. Hell, even if I wasn't out Friday, the email has been sitting in my inbox for a total of 2 business hours.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What's the goto place for disk recovery? Google just gives me a lot of shady looking crap.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Just got an onboarding ticket submitted. For six people. Hiring supervisors are supposed to submit a separate ticket for each individual user. Someone couldn't be bothered and jammed five extra names in the "other notes" field of the onboarding form.

Oh, and they all started five days ago.

I often wonder what goes on in these units where they give us onboarding tickets days after the new employees show up. What are these new employees doing during all that time? There's only so much orientation and basics that can be covered without being able to log into a workstation.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I just started my new job working as support for my university's online class system. This was the first ticket I opened today.

e: he submitted this ticket in duplicate 4 times.

Danyull fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 26, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think he was looking for a bugtracker, not registration.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Danyull posted:

I just started my new job working as support for my university's online class system. This was the first ticket I opened today.

What's it like working with E. E. Cummings?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

D34THROW posted:

Yep, Dynamics '09...not sure about R2, I just know Dynamics.

It's ERP software. The whole business is run off of that.

The biggest problem? Every day, I do estimates. NAV provides no ability to do estimates or quotes, SO I have to go back to QuickBooks '14 and double-enter the customer data for appropriate estimates and invoicing.

It's either a lovely description of [insert work here] in NAV or a good, detailed description like my boss wants in QuickBooks. :shepicide:

There is a way to do estimates, you likely don't own the module. Nav is sold in pieces. That or it's a custom module that we bought. So much custom stuff that upgrading to the SQL version is going to cost a ton to keep all the customizations, like more than migrating a completely new solution. That's pretty much how Nav is billed though, it's sold by a VAR at cost or below with the goal being to get you to pay them to add modules. They'll charge you all the programming hours even if they already made that for someone else. Sure you can make a module yourself if you have a developer license but they are not cheap.

If you aren't the person that talks to the VAR ask whoever does how much it would cost to do what you are doing inside Nav. Might need to do some digging, but you are paying someone every year to keep your license up and they are who you need to talk to.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Danyull posted:

:subject: took some bad acid

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think he was looking for a bugtracker, not registration.

:pusheen:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Bah what's the best way to deal with a CTO's golden boy developer who if you don't action any of his tickets in less than 15 mins he'll start ccing in the MD or Cleveland

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fluppet posted:

Bah what's the best way to deal with a CTO's golden boy developer who if you don't action any of his tickets in less than 15 mins he'll start ccing in the MD or Cleveland

Add another hour to your response time.

See how golden he is once he's filled up the MD's inbox with whining emails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ask for guidance on the different method you are supposed to use to triage his issues compared to the rest of the company, get it in writing, stick to it religiously. Wait for the complaints to start.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Oh my gently caress that was magical.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A machine came in complaining of circle-booting and getting garbled looking video on the Windows 10 loading screen.

First thing I did was open it up to clean the lint out, and the video card looked a little off to me. It seemed a bit large for having only passive cooling, and the heat sink really looked like the big indentation in it was supposed to have a fan in it...

I look a bit closer and then look up the model number. Oh.

This is what ab ASUS EAH5830 card is supposed to look like:

This is what the one I just pulled out of the machine looks like:

You can actually see little bits of plastic still stuck to the screws from when the entire cowling and fan assembly was ripped off:

I'm sure there's a story there.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Entropic posted:

A machine came in complaining of circle-booting and getting garbled looking video on the Windows 10 loading screen.

First thing I did was open it up to clean the lint out, and the video card looked a little off to me. It seemed a bit large for having only passive cooling, and the heat sink really looked like the big indentation in it was supposed to have a fan in it...

I look a bit closer and then look up the model number. Oh.

This is what ab ASUS EAH5830 card is supposed to look like:

This is what the one I just pulled out of the machine looks like:

You can actually see little bits of plastic still stuck to the screws from when the entire cowling and fan assembly was ripped off:

I'm sure there's a story there.

"It was too noisy!"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It probably didn't fit in the case with the fan.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

KoRMaK posted:

It probably didn't fit in the case with the fan.

You kid but I actually had one a few years ago where the guy had taken a dremel to the video card cowling to make it fit in his tiny case.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Entropic posted:

You kid but I actually had one a few years ago where the guy had taken a dremel to the video card cowling to make it fit in his tiny case.

Probably not kidding. My guess is that it was an mITX mobo with 2 single-spaced PCIe slots and they needed to put something in the other slot that the big "unnecessary" fan was blocking.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm most definitely not kididng.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This case has plenty of room. I talked to the guy on the phone and he claims he had someone clean the inside of the PC for him, who broke the card and claimed it was like that when they got to it.
Ok, that's weird, whatever, I'm not going to pry, and I sold him a replacement video card.
The weird part is he claims that happened like 2 years ago, and I can't fathom who the system remained usable that long.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Did it run inside of a refrigerator?

If he wasn't running any games or 3D stuff then the heatsink probably did most of the work just fine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's an inverse relationship between how hot something is and how long it takes for it to be damaged. Like KoRMaK said, probably got just hot enough to slowly accumulate damage.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

porktree posted:

What's the goto place for disk recovery? Google just gives me a lot of shady looking crap.

These guys seem to be the standard whenever this is asked:

https://www.krollontrack.com

I've only heard good things, but it will cost you.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Arsten posted:

Man, my Ford Pinto explodes so much. Why would I pay more for a Lincoln?? :iiaca:

To be fair, the Panther platform (Crown Vic, Lincoln Town Car) also had an issue with exploding gas tanks when hit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Entropic posted:

The weird part is he claims that happened like 2 years ago, and I can't fathom who the system remained usable that long.

Probably just survived on the incidental airflow from the chassis/PSU fan

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

These guys seem to be the standard whenever this is asked:

https://www.krollontrack.com

I've only heard good things, but it will cost you.

Thanks - It's for a friend that had a bunch of unbacked up family photos. I also remembered drivesavers. It's never going to be cheap, so recommending someone that's got good rep is important.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

porktree posted:

Thanks - It's for a friend that had a bunch of unbacked up family photos. I also remembered drivesavers. It's never going to be cheap, so recommending someone that's got good rep is important.

Drivesavers will give you a free estimate, jpg only would probably run you like $650-$900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:vince:

• Locked thread