Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Canelo v Smith about to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

brb gonna have a nap while buffer does the introductions

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gozinbulx posted:

Canelo v Smith about to start

Canelo wins

What's the biggest upset in modern boxing?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Why do Liam's trunks just say 'AUTISM' lol

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

so loving future posted:

Why do Liam's trunks just say 'AUTISM' lol

I gifted him a forum account before the fight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Dan Didio posted:

Canelo wins

What's the biggest upset in modern boxing?

golovkin beating brook

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

thehappyprince posted:

golovkin beating brook

Lol

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This guy's mostly just standing there to let canelo show off his lefts but he actually landed a few good uppercuts on Alvarez

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Buddy actually fought with tons of confidence in rd 4. Canelo looks unphased by punches though.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Smith game as gently caress I'll tell you what

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Beat this bitch, Liam

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
He's not winning any of these rounds but the dude came to fight.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The power of canelos shots is starting to get him

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Killer accumulation of body shots. Guy was tough though, mad props to him.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

canelo should probably keep avoiding golovkin tbh

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gj

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If Liam Smith was actually world class and not just a domestic level talent, that would have been a very interesting fight. As it was, Smith landed a ton of shots on Alvarez, who got the job done but looked pretty pedestrian for the most part.

GGG flattens this guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
did the post fight interview mention gennady at all?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

did the post fight interview mention gennady at all?

Yeah, Canelo said he's "not afraid of anyone" but stuck by his promoter's decisions. "We're a team", he said. Kellerman did a good job pressing Canelo on it, but Canelo didn't call GGG out next or anything. Seems like the fight is going to happen, but not until at least Cinco de Mayo 2017.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Ok, at this point, what's more likely to happen:

GGG vs. Ward/Krusher or GGG vs. Canelo?

We all know the natural fight should be Canelo but do you think GGG can make the move to 175? I don't think he'll beat Ward and might have a chance against Kovalev. Canelo, unless he literally has been hiding something specifically for GGG, will get knocked out or decisioned.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ggg vs Canelo is more likely

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think the public knows that canelo will not fight ggg until ggg is way over the hill. canelo well and truly bitched out of the fight and i don't think he's going to come around on that any time soon.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

thisdude23 posted:

Ok, at this point, what's more likely to happen:

GGG vs. Ward/Krusher or GGG vs. Canelo?

We all know the natural fight should be Canelo but do you think GGG can make the move to 175? I don't think he'll beat Ward and might have a chance against Kovalev. Canelo, unless he literally has been hiding something specifically for GGG, will get knocked out or decisioned.

GGG/Canelo is almost certain to happen next year. Canelo and his team are just trying to age GGG as much as possible before it happens.

GGG vs Ward/Kovalev will never happen. Ward and Kovalev are at 175 pounds, GGG would be hardpressed to even move up to 168, let alone 175. GGG is an average sized/smallish middleweight. He's only 5'10 and typically comes into the ring around 168. Canelo for example weighs in at 154 but gains almost 20 pounds in 24 hours for his fights.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 19, 2016

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GGG moving up to super middleweight is a matter of when, not if; and I don't think it's too far out of the question for Ward to go back down to 168 for a fight of that magnitude. I don't see it as probable, but it's possible.

Apropos of nothing, Ward-Kovalev is about as good of a matchup as you could ever possibly hope for in the history of the sport. Beyond hyped.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 19, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

GGG moving up to super middleweight is a matter of when, not if

IDK, I think he would be quite happy retiring at middleweight if he unified and crushed the division. He might move up to take a superfight at 168 and cement his legacy but I don't seem him going there longterm.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
canelo already has a loss he should man the gently caress up

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Canelo was beaten in a totally different way though. Assuming he can't beat GGG, the type of loss he would take is probably more physically and professionally damaging than the first one.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

losing to floyd doesn't count

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Canelo is never getting a ring with GGG unless he's old and falling off.

This will not be my first stupidly wrong prediction in this thread.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Canelo has one of the most respectable resumes of any active boxer and clearly isn't afraid to get in the ring with anyone, but he has also clearly succumbed to his promoters with respect to this fight.

Oscar said he sent an 8 figure offer to Gennady's people to make the fight ASAP, but I think he's completely full of poo poo.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 19, 2016

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
That's what I'm saying. I can't see GGG not accepting $10 million for this, unless Canelo is getting like $40 million. I figure a 60/40 Canelo cut would be good. Like it or not, Canelo just has more drawing power. GGG doesn't look like he's aging though, just looks apathetic in there.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Don't get your hopes up, but it sounds like Golovkin and Jacobs are talking about a fight in December. Apparently HBO had some money set aside for an Alvarez return and now that Canelo is sidelined due to thumb injury they could put their funds toward GGG-Jacobs instead.

Jacobs is still a Haymon fighter and this would hardly be the first time a middleweight fighter has talked about getting it on with GGG only to get really quiet contract time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Don't get your hopes up

wayyyy ahead of you

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

golovkin in 3

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jacobs is probably the best mw fight for ggg outside of maybe canelo. His power is legit and he's a better boxer than Lemieux so he might find a way to use it.

Golovkin in 6

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Premier Boxing Championships appears to be doomed

http://www.espn.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/16761/what-has-happened-to-premier-boxing-champions

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/9/20/12983690/waddell-reed-investments-434-million-decline-al-haymon-pbc-boxing-news#395293761

As #pbchaternumber1 I would have thought that I'd be thrilled but it just sucks that Haymon has pretty much ruined the last chance boxing had to become anything resembling mainstream again.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah it sucks. I tried to give it a chance, there were a few good matches, but in the end also a lot of guys treading water. Never anything that elevated it above what HBO or Showtime were already doing. Never felt like there was any promotion or hype behind fights. Everything felt too sterile.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so is it just nobody is actually watching meaning the money from investors has run out or what?

american tv for sports is really loving stupid from what i can tell being from the uk

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

To the surprise of absolutely no one the Fury - Wlad rematch is off again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I forgot it was even happening

• Locked thread