Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

I think the Panzerschiff would be pretty fun ships. Their real life speed wasn't that fast though. Not sure how people are going to like having a two-turreted Tier VI or VII cruiser that goes under 30 knots.

Also, re: Sims chat, I've been running with the 5.5 km torps and DE instead of AFT so a smaller to non-existent stealth firing zone. I might have to rethink the 9 km torps for area denial and smoke screen blind firing.

I beelined for it in Steel Ocean and it turned out to be awful there. Relatively slow, large size, mediocre armor, awful AAA, and identical guns to battleships one tier under it (but half as many of them).

Of course most of this was due to them tiering it above the (objectively better in every way) Scharnhorst. It would probably work at tier 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warbadger posted:

I beelined for it in Steel Ocean and it turned out to be awful there. Relatively slow, large size, mediocre armor, awful AAA, and identical guns to battleships one tier under it (but half as many of them).

Of course most of this was due to them tiering it above the (objectively better in every way) Scharnhorst. It would probably work at tier 6.

Now, now, 2/3 as many guns as the Scharnhorst. And +1 RPM fire rate.

To make up for armor a DD can penetrate, lovely speed, only 6 guns, awkward turret placement, lovely secondaries, and most damningly, lower accuracy and shell speed, which really loving sucks for a CA in SO because their job is to use their low lead times to dunk destroyers and keep the little shits from spotting for artillery. The other problem is it really wasn't any better at killing BBs than other high tier CAs and if you want to go after BBs with a German Tier 8, just...just get a Bismarck.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

You know, a lot of the design changes they're making sound good. If Steel Ocean ever actually dies this stuff might bring me back.

I'm not so sure...they are making everything more maneuverable to increase survivability, but it can start to look ridiculous seeing 20k ton cruisers pulling handbrake turns. I'd probably prefer if they nerfed damage instead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Giving the turn module to destroyers is going to make the Khab and Udaloi even worse.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Do you mean with Panzerschiffe the Deutschland class ships? Cause Panzerschiff is just a type of ship and I'm getting confused.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm not so sure...they are making everything more maneuverable to increase survivability, but it can start to look ridiculous seeing 20k ton cruisers pulling handbrake turns. I'd probably prefer if they nerfed damage instead.

I more mean stuff like trying to reward spotting and take away the 'avoid damage at all costs to avoid losing shitloads of money.'

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Junkozeyne posted:

Do you mean with Panzerschiffe the Deutschland class ships? Cause Panzerschiff is just a type of ship and I'm getting confused.

Yes, the Deutschland.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Junkozeyne posted:

In common use they're the only example of the type. Also they were not at all the right ships for the job they got repurposed into.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

xthetenth posted:

In common use they're the only example of the type. Also they were not at all the right ships for the job they got repurposed into.

They were fine for the commerce raiding role in 1935. They still did well in 1939; however, their 28kts maximum speed was just good enough in the mid-1930s.

Really they needed 32kts. Especially by 1940.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deutchsland had a very fun time with the invasion of Norway.

By fun I mean not fun at all. Though she did better than Blucher.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Also, the economy changes are great. Just lost a T10 game which I barely survived and still made 70k.

It's reasons like this that make me love the team running World of Warships. The guys are actively trying to reduce ranges of engagement, encourage brawls, and now they're reducing costs for playing higher tiers and rewarding aggressive play in them. I wish they had control of the WoT NA server too so they could make some meaningful changes to that stale-rear end game.

NTRabbit posted:

Looks like my Izumo is a long way off then :sigh:

You will despise the Izumo if you cannot make the Nagato work. From a guy who had to grind all 244 thousand experience points on that oil tanker: the Japanese line peaks at tier 7 and goes downhill from there. The Amagi can still be fun since it's a Battlecruiser and Battlecruisers are fast with very decent guns, but the Izumo is slow, unmaneuverable, and it sacrifices a third of its firepower if you want to maximize your armor. Granted, head-on it's very good armor, but the range of engagement is also much higher and people know at this point to just splash a head-on Izumo with HE until she either turns around or burns to death. The ship is also big, with a nice and flat, easy to hit deck, something that the later hull upgrades do not address. Plus, you have to spend an uncomfortably large amount of experience researching them, the B hull being completely useless, a dark reminder of researching required but useless modules on mediocre tanks in World of Tanks.

Granted, I'm not a great player by any stretch of the word, my winrate on these ships is almost equally as bad. But at least by the end of my grind on the Nagato, I understood that the ship was a better-than-average brawler when it needed to be due to the good layers of armor and high amount of secondaries, and the bigger main battery guns were a welcome addition over its predecessors, and I came away from it having fun. I could not tell you any fun moments I've had in the Izumo, or what makes it strong or how to play it, just because of how extremely inflexible it is. It is the Maus of this game: you can bounce a lot of shells, you can really take some punishment, but you're not going anywhere fast, and people aren't exactly afraid of your firepower. The bow armor nerf almost killed any reason to play this ship for good, and honestly, I wish it had actually happened.

At least the Yamato is fun in the sense that the guns are so big, you do biggu damage with it even in overpens, and that's all simpleton Battleship drivers like me want in life, to see big numbers pop over the top of enemy ships. But if you are not having fun now, it is absolutely not worth the rest of the grind.

OSad fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 23, 2016

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Oh maybe it's more of an English thing. Panzerschiff was more used for types of ships in the 19th century and Lützow (former Deutschland) and Graf Scheer were even reclassified as heavy cruisers by the Kriegsmarine.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

ZombieLenin posted:

They were fine for the commerce raiding role in 1935. They still did well in 1939; however, their 28kts maximum speed was just good enough in the mid-1930s.

I recall reading that their saving grace was that by being diesel-driven rather than oil-fired boilers or turbines they had the best acceleration of any ship of that size, so while their top speed was low, they could accelerate to full speed or change direction quickly enough to partly offset its lack of battlecruiser-like speeds.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

They were inherently dogshit commerce raiders. Sure their guns are all cool, but when the mission isn't being the biggest guns in the Baltic, it doesn't matter if there aren't enough fast BBs or BCs to run them down if they don't have the armor to win a fight with a CA and still operate successfully far from home after the fight.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm not sure how you would balance the Deutschland in warships. It has Omaha armor and goes only 26 knots with poor secondaries and basically zero AA (but it's easy enough to make up a new hull with un-Nazi-ship-like good AA). And apparently the guns are barely more powerful than the Nassau's, which has two more guns to a side and better turret positions.

Wargaming hasn't shown much willingness to change things like penetration and armor, and without changing those I don't know where it would fit in other than maybe a low tier battleship.

It's a German ship though, so I guess all the characteristics are open to arbitrary Wargaming upgrades.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

James Garfield posted:

I'm not sure how you would balance the Deutschland in warships. It has Omaha armor and goes only 26 knots with poor secondaries and basically zero AA (but it's easy enough to make up a new hull with un-Nazi-ship-like good AA). And apparently the guns are barely more powerful than the Nassau's, which has two more guns to a side and better turret positions.

Wargaming hasn't shown much willingness to change things like penetration and armor, and without changing those I don't know where it would fit in other than maybe a low tier battleship.

It's a German ship though, so I guess all the characteristics are open to arbitrary Wargaming upgrades.

Judging how other ships have been implemented, I'm going to assume it'll be balanced as a low tier battleship. There are other ships in the tree that were considered battlecruisers that ended up there as their guns were not powerful enough to go higher. There is a lot of weight towards a ship's guns before they look at other characteristics to decide the tiers I've noticed. This goes for WoT as well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JuffoWup posted:

Judging how other ships have been implemented, I'm going to assume it'll be balanced as a low tier battleship. There are other ships in the tree that were considered battlecruisers that ended up there as their guns were not powerful enough to go higher. There is a lot of weight towards a ship's guns before they look at other characteristics to decide the tiers I've noticed. This goes for WoT as well.

It'd basically be a higher-tier equivalent of how they worked the Misaka into the Japanese tree. And hopefully more fun to play.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Izichuchi and Warspite are going to be heavily discounted in EU over the weekend. Can anyone comment on how useful they are? The Izi will only be 1.2k doubloons which is around £4.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

kaesarsosei posted:

The Izichuchi and Warspite are going to be heavily discounted in EU over the weekend. Can anyone comment on how useful they are? The Izi will only be 1.2k doubloons which is around £4.

The Warspite is a good ship.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kaesarsosei posted:

Izi sucks. It has miserable range, and not enough guns to make up for it like the Wyoming. It does get a good RoF for a battleship though.

I really like Warspite on the other hand. It's not the most durable BB at it's tier, but the guns are amazing and it's ultra maneuverable, which helps make up for the glacial turret traverse. It's also relatively compact, which combined with the great rudder lets you bully the hell out of DDs without worrying overmuch about torps. You also get quite good secondaries for T6.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is the American CV tree fun at all? I'm getting close to the Ryujo on the IJN side, but have been tempted to grab a Langley.

Or I could just get a Saipan and become part of the problem.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Izi sucks. It has miserable range, and not enough guns to make up for it like the Wyoming. It does get a good RoF for a battleship though.

I really like Warspite on the other hand. It's not the most durable BB at it's tier, but the guns are amazing and it's ultra maneuverable, which helps make up for the glacial turret traverse. It's also relatively compact, which combined with the great rudder lets you bully the hell out of DDs without worrying overmuch about torps. You also get quite good secondaries for T6.

Ishi would be close to acceptable if its middle turret weren't a lying liar that lies, but if you angle it's a four turret bb and it doesn't even have the common goddamn courtesy to tell you the middle turret is blocked from firing.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
The zucchini is definitely worth 1.2k dubs if you need a cheap Japanese captain trainer. Can also be fun at tier 4.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Wibla posted:

Your ship is still moving in 3 dimensions tho, so there'll still be a source of error there.

That's what fire control is for.

"Fire Control Computers solve Fire Control problems."
/
:smug:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

The Warspite is a good ship.

Be forewarned, the Warspite is currently a victim of the BB power creep with the matchmaking changes and german BB line coming out, as well as map selection changes.

It's an excellent ship for t5-t6 battles, has a bit of a struggle in current t7, and is wholly unprepared for t8 battles.

Unfortunately you'll often come up in a 6-8 tier battle with a few t7-t8 battleships on a map that is far too big for your puny range.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

James Garfield posted:

I'm not sure how you would balance the Deutschland in warships. It has Omaha armor and goes only 26 knots with poor secondaries and basically zero AA (but it's easy enough to make up a new hull with un-Nazi-ship-like good AA). And apparently [url="https:///Weapons/WNGER_11-52_skc28.php"]the guns[/url] are barely more powerful than the Nassau's, which has two more guns to a side and better turret positions.

I think it can be done. Give it decent dispersion and modest range (better dispersion than a battleship but not as good as a cruiser) with good shell velocity, and give it really good acceleration and rudder shift/turning circle. The secondaries can be longer ranged even if they aren't as numerous as say a Cleveland, and the armor I would imagine isn't like an Omaha as it can be kind of troll. Put that at tier 5 or 6 and it could work, I think.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

OSad posted:

You will despise the Izumo if you cannot make the Nagato work. From a guy who had to grind all 244 thousand experience points on that oil tanker: the Japanese line peaks at tier 7 and goes downhill from there. The Amagi can still be fun since it's a Battlecruiser and Battlecruisers are fast with very decent guns, but the Izumo is slow, unmaneuverable, and it sacrifices a third of its firepower if you want to maximize your armor. Granted, head-on it's very good armor, but the range of engagement is also much higher and people know at this point to just splash a head-on Izumo with HE until she either turns around or burns to death. The ship is also big, with a nice and flat, easy to hit deck, something that the later hull upgrades do not address. Plus, you have to spend an uncomfortably large amount of experience researching them, the B hull being completely useless, a dark reminder of researching required but useless modules on mediocre tanks in World of Tanks.

Granted, I'm not a great player by any stretch of the word, my winrate on these ships is almost equally as bad. But at least by the end of my grind on the Nagato, I understood that the ship was a better-than-average brawler when it needed to be due to the good layers of armor and high amount of secondaries, and the bigger main battery guns were a welcome addition over its predecessors, and I came away from it having fun. I could not tell you any fun moments I've had in the Izumo, or what makes it strong or how to play it, just because of how extremely inflexible it is. It is the Maus of this game: you can bounce a lot of shells, you can really take some punishment, but you're not going anywhere fast, and people aren't exactly afraid of your firepower. The bow armor nerf almost killed any reason to play this ship for good, and honestly, I wish it had actually happened.

Counterpoint, the Izumo looks like a rad spaceship, which is why I want one :haw:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NTRabbit posted:

the Izumo looks [...] rad [...], which is why I want one :haw:

:psyduck: Wow. And we thought you were wrong before.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I was planning on holding on to 3-5 Tier 6 ships, but now I'm selling all of them. The matchmaking change has been brutal.

Probably great for Tier 8, I imagine they see fewer Tier X games now.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I just started playing a week or two ago, what's the in game channel now? Looks like the one from the op is empty?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Plinkey posted:

So I just started playing a week or two ago, what's the in game channel now? Looks like the one from the op is empty?

Look at the very start of the OP, discord: https://discord.gg/0lSMRHzXe0APB3Bo

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pacra posted:

Look at the very start of the OP, discord: https://discord.gg/0lSMRHzXe0APB3Bo

I meant the in game chat.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Plinkey posted:

I meant the in game chat.

Discord is our ingame chat, the internal global chat client is -rubbish-.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pacra posted:

Ok, I'll going that later, playing with a friend now. I'll convince him to come to the seamen later.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I was planning on holding on to 3-5 Tier 6 ships, but now I'm selling all of them. The matchmaking change has been brutal.

Probably great for Tier 8, I imagine they see fewer Tier X games now.

Is there yet another one coming? Because currently T8s are in an unpleasant spot too since they're getting drawn upward to fill out T10 matches a lot. Nowhere near as bad as T5/6s getting uptiered two tiers, since gun size has mostly equalized by T8+, but it is noticeable. T7 is probably in the best spot at the moment, since both the tiers above them are used to fill out T10 matches a lot, while both the tiers below them can only go down one tier at most, and thus are getting uptiered more often. This leaves T7 at being top tier a significant portion of the time

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only downside tier 7 currently has is the number of times you'll see Saipans

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The only downside tier 7 currently has is the number of times you'll see Saipans

Saipans are never my issue. It is the HE flinging scharns that drive me up the wall the most. Or carriers that run the planes away at the sight of an atlanta instead of flitting on the edge to get some eyes on them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Pacra posted:

It's loving amazing how terrible the in-game chat is compared to WoT. Like, how did they gently caress that up

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Saipans are never my issue. It is the HE flinging scharns that drive me up the wall the most. Or carriers that run the planes away at the sight of an atlanta instead of flitting on the edge to get some eyes on them.

I don't really care about Scharns doing that so long as they're not on my team.

They're usually on my team. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

I don't really care about Scharns doing that so long as they're not on my team.

They're usually on my team. :(

At least they're not HE-flinging Nagatos, like the one I just had on my team. I can see how he got that 42% winrate.

For real, I'm done playing boats for the weekend and it's only Friday night. gently caress all these loving retards that always seem to get on my team.