Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

akira toryaima can go eat an entire rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
caring about gohan is definitely a weird western thing

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
How? He was the kid with the absent father and secret hidden power that was on the cusp of being the strongest person the whole time. Until he was. He was the strongest person. Twice! Now loving look at him. When I was growing up I wanted to be like him. Now I too work in an office building and live a quiet life and I hate both of us.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They gave Gohan a pretty large amount of focus in Z, so I don't really see how caring about him is something only Westerners do. It's like Toriyama tried to recapture Goku but wasn't quite as committed since he still had the original to fall back on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't have any answers for you! That's just how it is. Japanese people didn't like Gohan and that's why Goku was made the protagonist again.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If you started the series with the early Kid Goku stuff it's not really unusual to be more into Goku than his son.

At least here in Germany they showed the series starting with vanilla flavour Dragon Ball first and I always cared more about Goku and wasn't annoyed with his son not being the martial arts savant his dad was.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zelah posted:

How? He was the kid with the absent father and secret hidden power that was on the cusp of being the strongest person the whole time. Until he was. He was the strongest person. Twice! Now loving look at him. When I was growing up I wanted to be like him. Now I too work in an office building and live a quiet life and I hate both of us.

Gohan is happy and content with his life and would hate himself if he had to live like Goku.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I don't have any answers for you! That's just how it is. Japanese people didn't like Gohan and that's why Goku was made the protagonist again.

hosed up to think that people could not like the great saiyaman

I guess it makes sense how gohan was built up to beat buu from the beginning and how goku wanted to leave it to the living but then neither ended up happening at the last second tho

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

thats patently untrue though since gohan was at the top of the popularity polls

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I love what they did with Gohan it was perfect.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As you get older you eventually accept that Gohan was never cool outside of Saiyaman.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

gohan is better as a happy dad than he was as a crying teen

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

gohan is better as a happy dad than he was as a crying teen

Yeah. It's boring, but if this is how Gohan's story ends, that's a happy ending for him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gohans story isn't boring because he doesn't punch anymore. It's honestly better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm fine with him not being the main character or participating in goku's bullshit but I wish he wasn't such a joke every time he has to fight someone post cell. they could just not have him fight like he so clearly wants, but if you're gonna do it then at least don't make him super yamcha

you can be a nerd and keep in shape, gohan. it's not like the world hasn't been saved based entirely upon your friends and family knowing how to fight before or anything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm fine with him not being the main character or participating in goku's bullshit but I wish he wasn't such a joke every time he has to fight someone post cell. they could just not have him fight like he so clearly wants, but if you're gonna do it then at least don't make him super yamcha

you can be a nerd and keep in shape, gohan. it's not like the world hasn't been saved based entirely upon your friends and family knowing how to fight before or anything

Gohan is still the strongest dude they got most of the time. He serves the unfortunate role of super-jobber but when Frieza was attacking he was the biggest gun they had before Vegeta and Goku showed up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

which is why he should keep in shape. you don't have to be an insane person like goku for that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

which is why he should keep in shape. you don't have to be an insane person like goku for that

Gohan is in shape, I mean how hard do you really have to train when you know you can beat up Majin Buu (the scourge of the universe!)? He could never keep up with Goku without being as obsessed with training as Goku is, and the only reason all these hosed up super gods keep attacking Earth is because Goku keeps goading them on.

Like, if he was even a little serious about defending Earth Gohan could train with Piccilo for a week to learn the fusion dance. Pichan would likely be strong enough to deal with the likes of Golden Frieza or Black.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gohan's moment going to be all the sweeter when he gets the poo poo kicked out of him and then Pan blows up and beats the poo poo out of whoever beat him up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gohans family is gonna die again and all he'll be able to do is cry because in real life being an office worker doesn't help anyone

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I love that Super Saiyajin 2 isn't just incredibly powerful to begin with, but that there's another transformation attached to it. Just dips right into SSJ3 territory, and says screw you Goku, I still have eyebrows and my dignity. That long hair looks dumb and Future Trunks is too cool for it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't mind weak Gohan that much (I was never really a big Gohan fan to begin with but y'know). We've already seen what Gohan as the savior of the earth is like. He got his arm torn off and then died.

Also as we've recently seen his normal life is what helps Trunks recover from his PTSD. He doesn't need to be a prominent fighter to make a difference.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gohan is really good. he was good as the reluctant destroyer and is good as the world's most powerful office man. no goku has ever been good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like that Goku did realize that hey, Don't actually invite Gohan to this fighting event or get Gohan involved. He has a family and kid now. And likes just doing his studies. Let him be himself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't he invite gohan first but gohan had a meeting or something and couldn't be there

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Chi Chi is a way worse parent than Goku, she's a loving monster!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't he invite gohan first but gohan had a meeting or something and couldn't be there

He does in the anime,in the manga he just says don't bother asking Gohan doesn't train.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gohan attempting to semi-retire is more interesting than most other things they could do with him, yeah.

As far as people getting grouchy about how useless he is goes, I really do think it's 90% because Mystic is maybe the single worst anticlimax of the series. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Kami and Piccolo fusing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DBZ is a series of anti climaxes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well yes but that is by far the most insane one

how many episodes did we spend watching him swing a sword and sit around while an old man danced

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Momomo posted:

They gave Gohan a pretty large amount of focus in Z, so I don't really see how caring about him is something only Westerners do.

thats actually why its something only westerners do. by and large they all started with Z.

gohan gets cool "whats up with this kid?" moments starting in the raditz fight ie the very first time a lot of us experienced dragonball

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I think the Gohan thing and why people are so fixated on it is due to the Buu saga setting up his comeback and then...welp. Super is doing something different with him and actively separating him from the action, which is cool. Gohan is Poot. He got out of the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Does....does that make Yamcha cheese?

No wait he is Ziggy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waaaaayyyyy down in the HFIL.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Only dumb stupid idiots complain about the localisation turning Hell to HFIL.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gohan got what he deserved.

He sees wonderful feisty twin tails Videl and thinks "... I'm going to ruin that" and she gets a haircut and then she becomes a nothing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Testekill posted:

Only dumb stupid idiots complain about the localisation turning Hell to HFIL.
I am not complaining, friend. It's all in the game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Home For Infinite Losers is censorship but it's also perfectly tonally in tune with toriyama's humor

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Rodyle posted:

Home For Infinite Losers is censorship but it's also perfectly tonally in tune with toriyama's humor

Exactly, people shouldn't complain about it when it's exactly the type of joke that Toriyama would make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/Love_that_Goku/status/779399447033810944

• Locked thread