Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have some random cute ratties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Have pics of my first rats ever, Ghost and Vann:

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Two angry rats, one tiny cage:

These pictures don't capture the burning rage of these rats in their cage, because every time I approached them they clamoured desperately to get out:

It was quite the ordeal for the poor critters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and now she's lost loads of weight. And may have another tumour but that was probably a given.

Heading straight to the vet on Monday, but I'm hoping she'll be alright. She's still super-active, bright-eyed, happy and has loads of appetite - no real change in behaviour or energy at all. Still, she feels so skinny and bony all of a sudden :( I know sudden weight loss isn't generally a good sign, could it just be a result of a few tumours suddenly developing?

edit: they're not tumours, they're weird explosions of mammary tissue! or something. and she's probably diabetic. A diabetic rat. For gently caress's sake
To the shock and surprise of no people at all, the diabetic exploding rat has gone downhill fairly quickly!

She's not suffering much, but, well, she can't be far off. She's at about a third of the weight she was a month ago and is just very tired and lethargic all the time, no energy at all. We've managed to cure most of the mammary... things with medicine, but one of them turned out to be a tumour anyway, not that it really matters at this point.

Basically we had to choose between twice-daily experimental insulin injections or going for more palliative care. We didn't really want to put her through the former but she's gone downhill quicker than expected. I think we'll take her in to the vet soon.

Poor thing. Hopefully we can get more babies soon to keep Smaslug company, as she's as fat, friendly and laid-back as a rat can be. I want to call the new babies Brexit and Harambe but bae won't let me.

edit: came in to find her passed away in the cage today :( not a surprise, she went downhill a lot over the last couple of days. Hopefully we can get new babies soon, I'm worried Smaslug will be lonely.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 12, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

edit: came in to find her passed away in the cage today :( not a surprise, she went downhill a lot over the last couple of days. Hopefully we can get new babies soon, I'm worried Smaslug will be lonely.

Sorry about your ratty. :(

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Real sorry to hear this, Spigot. I know of some babies in NW London in need of rehoming if that's near - I know you're UK.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Real sorry to hear this, Spigot. I know of some babies in NW London in need of rehoming if that's near - I know you're UK.
Glasgow, so not quite! The breeder we go to had a bunch of babies in early August so hopefully there are some girls available.

edit: my MUM just said "she's with Harambe now"

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 12, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fierce animal protects it's lair.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
this site doesn't deserve my cute pet pics

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 24, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The actual video starring that rat missile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A07gDVLe14

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

*bonk*

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

The actual video starring that rat missile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A07gDVLe14

Everything after roll is adorable. If I ever get rats again, I'm definitely teaching them to fetch. The most I ever taught my rats was to poop in a box and to come when called.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buffybot posted:

Everything after roll is adorable. If I ever get rats again, I'm definitely teaching them to fetch. The most I ever taught my rats was to poop in a box and to come when called.

Same but my assholes also learned that they'll get their food faster if they much a ruckus in the morning just to wake me up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I tried teaching my current pair some tricks but Dyna (RIP) was too ADHD and Smaslug is too clumsy/stupid/fat. She tries but always gets it wrong, falls off something, or realises she hasn't touched a person in over five seconds and frantically sprints to the nearest feet to be picked up and given reassuring cuddles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymjadgc1j4U Smaslug is getting kind of needy while we look for new babies, I think. Just the impression I get.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymjadgc1j4U Smaslug is getting kind of needy while we look for new babies, I think. Just the impression I get.

Hahaha. Aww. :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Guy Mann posted:

When I first adopted my two rats I had a beard and when I shaved it off for the first time months later it took like a week for them to stop trying to climb into my mouth

Let's be real, rats never stop trying to climb into your mouth. Or at least mine continue performing rodentistry.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsutfSP8haU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god, look at this handsome guy. :3:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
God I miss my rats. :smith:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/sQFYIvk.gifv

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

God I miss my rats. :smith:

Same :smith::hf::smith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/aUqIHu6.gifv

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I always hear horror stories about rats, like eating each other in the cage, biting people and drawing blood and the like. But from what I've seen they seem incredibly sweet and nice, and not at all like the stories I hear. Are fancy rats just nicer and sweeter and smarter in general?

Also how do rats compare to mice? Are mice dumb as rocks but rats are smart and cool?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I always hear horror stories about rats, like eating each other in the cage, biting people and drawing blood and the like. But from what I've seen they seem incredibly sweet and nice, and not at all like the stories I hear. Are fancy rats just nicer and sweeter and smarter in general?

Also how do rats compare to mice? Are mice dumb as rocks but rats are smart and cool?

Fancy rats are generally calmer than wild rats, as far as I know, but both types of rats are almost never aggressive.
For a rat to attack it's cage mate or a human it has to have been abused by the owner (or in some rare cases really sick rats rats can act that way too) but even then a rat will almost never be actively aggressive and will just try to protect itself against real or imaginary threats.

In general pet rats are almost always very social, playful and cuddly. They make amazing pets as long as they have cage mates and are being treated nicely.

As for rats and mice, I don't really know much but I have heard that mice aren't nearly as smart as rats.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Jack Trades posted:

Fancy rats are generally calmer than wild rats, as far as I know, but both types of rats are almost never aggressive.
For a rat to attack it's cage mate or a human it has to have been abused by the owner (or in some rare cases really sick rats rats can act that way too) but even then a rat will almost never be actively aggressive and will just try to protect itself against real or imaginary threats.

In general pet rats are almost always very social, playful and cuddly. They make amazing pets as long as they have cage mates and are being treated nicely.

As for rats and mice, I don't really know much but I have heard that mice aren't nearly as smart as rats.

Can I train a rat to only go to the bathroom in one spot or should I just accept the fact that if it's out playing there will be piss and poop everywhere?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Can I train a rat to only go to the bathroom in one spot or should I just accept the fact that if it's out playing there will be piss and poop everywhere?

Rats will only poop in the places they consider to be their "lair", it's a survival instinct. You can easily train rats to poop in a single place by moving their poops to where you'd prefer them to be, after a while they'll learn.

There's nothing you can do about them peeing on things though, that's the one thing you'll have to accept as a rat owner.
That and the fact that little buggers can destroy anything they feel like destroying as long as they can get their teeth on it.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

I read an article not long ago that said mice and rats are very comparable in terms of intelligence level, but up until recently mice have been considered less intelligent by a wide margin. According to the article this assumption was based on a whole lot of research being been done in rat intelligence, since rats are used a lot in psychological experiments, and they used the same exact experiments to test mice, but since mice and rats are different in terms of needs, sizes, habits etc. the tests which were especially engineered for rats didn't actually measure relative intelligence accurately. When they designed puzzles as more equal playing fields, mice turned out to perform pretty much as well as rats.

Found it!
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/10/rats-arent-smarter-than-mice-and-that-actually-matters/381430/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

There's nothing you can do about them peeing on things though, that's the one thing you'll have to accept as a rat owner.
I guess it varies from rat to rat, but neither of my recent - and better-behaved generally - girl rats have ever peed on us at all while they were out, even for long periods.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
I've only ever had male rats and all of them do various amounts of dribbling. I had one rat that would pee on me in protest when he decided he was done hanging out. Rude little poo poo.

Joda posted:

I read an article not long ago that said mice and rats are very comparable in terms of intelligence level, but up until recently mice have been considered less intelligent by a wide margin. According to the article this assumption was based on a whole lot of research being been done in rat intelligence, since rats are used a lot in psychological experiments, and they used the same exact experiments to test mice, but since mice and rats are different in terms of needs, sizes, habits etc. the tests which were especially engineered for rats didn't actually measure relative intelligence accurately. When they designed puzzles as more equal playing fields, mice turned out to perform pretty much as well as rats.

Found it!
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/10/rats-arent-smarter-than-mice-and-that-actually-matters/381430/

Hrm, that's interesting. I've always assumed rats were smarter than mice because the rats actually reacted to my presence and would wave their little paws through the cage bars and want to be let out while the mice only ever ran in circles and occasionally ate their own poop. I guess it could be rats are more sociable towards people?

I love the look at the end where she's like, "Hey, this is MY tail!" :3:

That looks like one of the first rats I ever had. I miss my big lazy dumbo. :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Fantasy games using rat people as monsters is nothing new but Hand of Fate's stylized little ratty diamond suit for its playing cards is too cute :3:

Agree.
Shame about them being the most annoying enemy in the game (those loving spear throwers).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mlem mlem mlem

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Side note to this: I used to own a rat with a neurological issue that looked and ate fine, but any time another rat or a hand got close, she'd just chomp down full force and then act terrified. Which was unfortunate because she enjoyed getting pet and cuddled, she just seemed to react where most rats would kiss, with a bite. She was a rescue though with a very er, "close" family tree, so I'm assuming that's why she was like that.

On the other hand I also had a rat that was completely oblivious to all rat and human social cues and just wanted to kiss. :3: I didn't tell the other rats ofc but she was my favorite.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
As much as I like the videos, can we not post so many? My computer is slowing to a crawl.

Specifically the webM ones.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Had to say goodbye to my ~2 year old girl Max this morning. She had a brain tumor. Now I'm just extremely sad and it's hard because none of my friends and family understand how I could have pet rats in the first place :sigh:

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
My condolences. And sorry that your peeps aren't being supportive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

CompactFanny posted:

Had to say goodbye to my ~2 year old girl Max this morning. She had a brain tumor. Now I'm just extremely sad and it's hard because none of my friends and family understand how I could have pet rats in the first place :sigh:

Yeah, people can be lovely this way with arbitrary divisions between "animal" and "vermin." If nothing else, the posters in this thread understand your pain. :(

I don't know if it will help, but last time I lost one of mine I came across this article and I found reading it somewhat cathartic:

http://www.oprah.com/relationships/how-a-hong-kong-alley-rat-changed-one-couples-life

Maybe it will help you a bit, too?