Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pilot powers are like THE DrzSM tire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I'm happy with em. I was gonna run it till the belts because cheapfuck, but the friendly neighborhood chippie suggested I replace it or else.

I didnt keep great track of the miles, but seeing as how I've put 14k on the bike, some of which on 1.5 rear knobbies that last ~1500mi/tire, id wager this one has around 10k miles on it more or less.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here we go, round two of supermoto track time!

No brake failures or missing spark after the first practice, so it should be a pretty good day!

Edit: crashed once in the dirt, and once on the pavement. Turns out mud is slippery and you shouldn't decide to try knee out instead of foot out in the middle of a corner, especially if your front has already been chattering all day. A+++ would crash again

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 10, 2016

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I think it's time to sell my DRZ. Probably should have done it while I was still in Wisconsin. I'm considering bringing it back the next time I drive back with my dog to visit my folks.

I've been riding it a lot since I got to Idaho and really enjoying it but I'm also realizing the ways it's not what I want. I rode up mountain yesterday to hike to a lake. Didn't make the hike in my Tech 7's though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your problem with the DRZ is plain as day, in that picture. You have the wrong sized wheels installed! How embarrassing!

In seriousness, what don't you like about it, or want in your next bike?

Found this image while distracting myself from waiting to get my next sumo. The R is well out of my price range, but they still look so good.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Lighter, faster, better transmission with 6 gears. Now that I live in Washington I'm just gonna plate a 450 with 17's and get something smaller for dirt.

Also my YZ125 blew up so I'm gonna do a crank and a 139 kit so maybe that'll fill most of the dirt riding requirements.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like my bike is getting it's weak spark problem again :sigh:

I have a feeling that having no lights on it is overloading the system and killing the pick up coil for some reason, or maybe it's just heat? Either way, this didn't start happening until I started racing it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's unfortunate, did you get a moto in at least?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got on practice and heat races as well as one full final race. It stalled at the end of the final race, weak spark. I got it slapped together but missed the start of the second race, but went out when it was clear. It started coughing on the straights and died again at the end. Maybe it's just overheating the cheap pickup coil I put in it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slim Pickens posted:

Looks like my bike is getting it's weak spark problem again :sigh:

I have a feeling that having no lights on it is overloading the system and killing the pick up coil for some reason, or maybe it's just heat? Either way, this didn't start happening until I started racing it.

After doing some reading, it might just be negative pressure in the fuel tank. The one-way valve was on the 'wrong' hose nipple for a while, letting gas spill out an open tube every time I hit the brakes hard. I 'fixed' it this week and didn't have trouble until it got really hot out, but I can hear the gas cap trying to suck air in. Maybe I'll just drop money on a fancy new cap-with-vent assembly and just plug that stupid vent off altogether.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
So it's new tire time. Will the following tube fit in a 150/60-17? I'm not finding anything.

17 Type B = 160/70-17, 170/55-17, 170/60-17, 180/55-17, 190/50-17, 200/50-17

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
iirc I'm using a 150/70-17 tube. its either that or a 140/80. tire is a 150/60 like yours.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
My WR is up for sale. Am I asking to much? These bikes seem to be rare in my area, so I think I can get $3000 out of it.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5796117129.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

My WR is up for sale. Am I asking to much? These bikes seem to be rare in my area, so I think I can get $3000 out of it.

"The bike possibly needs a valve adjustment" + mileage are the things that would give buyers pause, I think.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That bike isn't due for a valve check yet (26,000), and your listing is about $700 too low. Toss it up there for $4000, and hold to that if you can. That thing is a steal at $3300. Great looking bike.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Christ, they're still about 5k here in lovely socal.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I just got $4000 for mine, and the guy was beside himself to get that. Sure, you'll get the usual million craigslisters who think it's worth 3300, but the fact is that it's not a Wr250f, supermotos hold value, the wrx is one of the best supermotos, and the wrx is discontinued.

Granted, it's nearing the end of the riding season, but I still think that price is way too low. They run 4000-4500 all day long here.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Christ, they're still about 5k here in lovely socal.

Same in NY

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, that seems way under priced to me. If you were within 300 miles I'd be driving there tomorrow. Also, I think valves are due at 24k so unless you're hearing done chatter I'd take that out of the ad.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How terrible would it be to ride it from Portland to Phoenix.... serious post.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Depends on how much slabbing you have to do - I hate slab on my 690 even though it will do 75+ all day long just because of the wind blast. If you can get some interesting roads and break it up over a few days it'd probably be a riot

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you have strong core muscles you'll be fine. sm starts to suck rear end above 85. more so above 95.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Motomind rode an F to the Arctic circle and back.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

Literally the worst. Enjoy getting gas every hour, getting furious every time a truck passes you and cuts half your momentum, buffeting, screaming motor, and wind blast.

Do it anyway, but do back roads. The X is totally worth whatever pain it takes to get it.

That said, people use the R/X as tourers, and they are well suited for it. I think the gas range is what got me the most.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, as long as you don't have to do it on a schedule, it'll be great. There are shitloads of awesome twisty back roads between Portland and, eh, Las Vegas. Vegas to Phoenix you're kind of stuck, aside from little dealies along the way like Oak Creek Canyon.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yeah, that seems way under priced to me. If you were within 300 miles I'd be driving there tomorrow. Also, I think valves are due at 24k so unless you're hearing done chatter I'd take that out of the ad.

It ticks a bit loudly on start-up, and has a light tick while warm that has never been an issue, this engine has always made a lot of noise. Only reason I bring that up is the place I am trying to buy a bike now, when I offered the bike as a trade in, said the top-end was noisy and might need a valve adjustment. It might. I don't honestly know because I haven't checked the valves. The previous owner *said* he checked them at 15k and they were fine.

Only reason I want out for so cheap is there is a local 2015 Hypermotard SP that I want badly and if I can get $3000 out of this bike, with some extra savings I have, I can buy the hyper all cash. I love my WR, but having test rode the hyper.... I'm trading my loving Japanese girlfriend for an Italian super model.

I would honestly keep both if I could but only have room (physically) for one motorcycle.

EDIT: As for riding long distances on this bike: It's terrible. I've done a few 3-4 hour rides with friends and your taint gets so wrecked by the end of the ride that it takes 30 minutes for sensation to come back to the area. That said, if you want to fly up here and pick up the bike, I will put you up for the night or three and do whatever I can to help you on your way.

EDIT2: I took the valve adjustment thing out of the ad. It's a bit ticky, I wanted to weed out potential tire-kickers in case they came to see it and thought the engine made to much noise.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 24, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Only reason I bring that up is the place I am trying to buy a bike now, when I offered the bike as a trade in, said the top-end was noisy and might need a valve adjustment. It might. I don't honestly know because I haven't checked the valves. The previous owner *said* he checked them at 15k and they were fine.

EDIT2: I took the valve adjustment thing out of the ad. It's a bit ticky, I wanted to weed out potential tire-kickers in case they came to see it and thought the engine made to much noise.

Yamaha themselves don't feel like the valves should even be checked for the first time until 26k, let alone adjusted. I bet you are fine. Trust me, you are about to get a string of lunatics on that bike, regardless of what you put in the listing. If you want to weed out tire kickers, just reply to people with "when would you like to schedule to come see the bike". That's it. I had so many people wasting my time talking about it, asking questions, blah blah, but at the end of the day, all of that is best done in person with the bike in front of them. They know that, and serious buyers won't even bother to do much before they see it in person.

I'm in the same boat as you, having sold my loving and perfect wrx in favor of a future german fraulein ktm. Do it if you want, just don't list that bike so low. List it high, and you will probably get it, if not, you can encourage a quicker sale when someone lowballs you 3500.

edit: Your listing is well written and entertaining, btw.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 24, 2016

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Quoting myself from the "invest in bikes" thread:

The bike just sold. I bought the bike from a motocross racer, then just sold the bike to a motocross racer. I'm glad went to a good home and a good dude.

.........And now I have the money for the 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP I've been saving for. Good lord, I can not wait.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I really wasn't a fan of the Hyper - test ride before you buy if you haven't already.

Also njoy ur stalls when cute boys are looking at you.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Never go full Motard!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I really wasn't a fan of the Hyper - test ride before you buy if you haven't already.

Also njoy ur stalls when cute boys are looking at you.

I test rode it twice, once in lovely PDX traffic right at 5pm, and again yesterday. I got to get up into the hills and open it up on Skyline and Germantown, two roads I know really well. It's definitely not a supermoto, it corners completely different obviously. However the seating position and ergonomics are really nice and not to far off of the WR. The added weight and difference in center of gravity is taking some getting used to, however you can still hustle the thing around corners MX-style, I just don't hang my leg out like I did before. So far I am really enjoying it. I don't dread taking the freeway now like I used to on the WR, which is nice.

I bought it today and put about 200 miles on it. I love it so far.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I test rode it twice, once in lovely PDX traffic right at 5pm, and again yesterday. I got to get up into the hills and open it up on Skyline and Germantown, two roads I know really well. It's definitely not a supermoto, it corners completely different obviously. However the seating position and ergonomics are really nice and not to far off of the WR. The added weight and difference in center of gravity is taking some getting used to, however you can still hustle the thing around corners MX-style, I just don't hang my leg out like I did before. So far I am really enjoying it. I don't dread taking the freeway now like I used to on the WR, which is nice.

I bought it today and put about 200 miles on it. I love it so far.

It just didn't quite mesh with me the way I expected, which is why I cautioned you - glad you're enjoying the bike.

It still does OK wheelies, even if I didn't mesh with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn6hg1hJcCY

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"You didn't even reach balance point"
:goonsay:

*farts away on a KZ550*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

"You didn't even reach balance point"
:goonsay:

*farts away on a KZ550*

I blame the bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfyWFRN0qB0

Supermoto wheels don't work so well in silt/sand.

In its defense, wasnt aired down, or suspension configured for dirt. Random road I decided to pop on and explore

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 2, 2016

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Went to the last race of the year for cascadia supermoto. The sm610 is out again, so I was intending on just shooting stills and video. Another rider was kind enough to let me take his yz450 out for the asphalt only class. :getin:

Then I crashed it in the first corner of the warm-up lap. :smith: some combination of cold slicks and a weird track surface I think made me lowside.

But then I passed two dudes in the heat, and finished 5/8 in the race, so all good.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
T1 on that track is pretty odd; smooth concrete with some camber change and dirt on the inside. Glad you made it and had fun!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I keep finding people saying DRZ race sag should be about 90 mm. Do any of you know where this comes from? I can't find it in the manual or anything I have.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Husqvarna 701 is getting the Duke V engine for 2017: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/september/husqvarna-701-gets-updated-engine-for-2017/

Sucks for people who bought the 2016 model I guess. No news on the 690 SMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

High Protein posted:

Husqvarna 701 is getting the Duke V engine for 2017: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/september/husqvarna-701-gets-updated-engine-for-2017/

Sucks for people who bought the 2016 model I guess. No news on the 690 SMC.

Is it heavier? :ohdear:

• Locked thread