Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sunswipe posted:

Don't panic, Citizens, your Director of Ships is here to do some damage control at this crucial time!
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/779464593164775428

Oh. Uh... huh. Go back to panicking, I guess.

sorla78 posted:

- Ben will auto-compensate with weird nerdgasmic tweets over the weekend.

It's really sad how on autopilot this all is huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Sympathy cax.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Charles Get-Out posted:

There's something I don't understand.

Why does CIG need a global set of studios with 300+ employees anyways? People talk about how SC has had it tough cause it takes time to establish the studios, company, and staff, but was that really necessary or a good use of CIG's time and resources? It sounds like Erin's Foundry 42 staff makes the lion's share of the work product anyways and that's just 30 or 40 dudes.

The more international borders the money crosses, the easier it is to "use it for game development" that will be very difficult to track.

I wish 90% of things CIG does wasn't designed from ground up to feel scummy and scammy.

Who knows though. Maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Not a cult™

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:ohdear: Explain to me how 'fun' is had in this bugpile?
Am I remembering correctly that during the GamesCom thing there was a hide-and-seek match?

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 24, 2016

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I wish I could follow Star Citizen without spending $3,000.

Maybe some day.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
It's lovely

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lethality is right. i'm actually kind of irritated that the article is somehow good for star citizen. they've taken monumental waste, incompetence on a grand scale, untenable working conditions, a complete absence of communication and every single interviewed person saying essentially the game, as promised, cannot be delivered and it's good for star citizen.

incredible.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

That Kotaku article was some great writing. It feels like a warning from the media to CIG about how they're perceiving the development of the game, which means the reporting might get uglier when at CitizenCon CIG is forced to punt Alpha 3.0 and SQ42 deep into 2017.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
my favorite quote was something like 'if it's completed, it will be an incredible showcase of tech and art assets. will it be fun? no idea.'

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, this is about right today.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I actually wonder if CIG *asked* Kotaku to publish this just before Citizencon to kind of take the sting out of any bad news coming up.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

PoorMoralCompass posted:

I am the best propagandist and have been since I was a little bob.

:colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sunswipe posted:

Don't panic, Citizens, your Director of Ships is here to do some damage control at this crucial time!
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/779464593164775428

Oh. Uh... huh. Go back to panicking, I guess.

Now that he doesn't do the web shows anymore, I guess he just shows up and does ??? in the office.

I'm guessing eat, talk about Wing Commander, eat, archive Wing Commander poo poo and try to stay awake.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lazrin posted:

hey I didn't say the article was poo poo. i think its great that they are forthcoming with that stuff finally... why aren't you?

smart though, as usual, changing his narrative to fit the situation. it's comedy.

They weren't forthcoming. The journalist had to go to anonymous sources and half the time Roberts either denied it or wasn't aware of the problem.

What we're actually seeing is the frank truth after literally years of lies and obfuscation, and it required actual investigative reporting and months worth of effort to bring it to light.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gravity_Storm posted:

I actually wonder if CIG *asked* Kotaku to publish this just before Citizencon to kind of take the sting out of any bad news coming up.

I was wondering something similar, so organized is the shilling and party line that they might have had prior warning. But organized manbabies are still manbabies, and reactive manbabies at that.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile 5913
Jobbo_Fett 5144
peter gabriel 5063
AP 4895
D_Smart 4116
Beet Wagon 4081
Tippis 3809
A Neurotic Jew 3334
Eonwe 3278
Daztek 3196
MeLKoR 3093
Mirificus 3089
orcinus 2779
Beer4TheBeerGod 2697
G0RF 2583
Samizdata 2488
Mr.Tophat 2396
Colostomy Bag 2293
Wafflz 2132
Scruffpuff 2016
Berious 1868
TTerrible 1862
Brazilianpeanutwar 1697
Chalks 1564
D1E 1563
alf_pogs 1539
Lime Tonics 1524
SelenicMartian 1519
spacetoaster 1508
SomethingJones 1480

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

The funny computer game

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Reminder that this is the first article in a series on star citizen from Benson.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They weren't forthcoming. The journalist had to go to anonymous sources and half the time Roberts either denied it or wasn't aware of the problem.

What we're actually seeing is the frank truth after literally years of lies and obfuscation, and it required actual investigative reporting and months worth of effort to bring it to light.

do you think the story would actually be any different for any other startup studio? you think it's all glitter and gumdrops at every other company? ever do a bodycount on canceled games and laid-off employees?

"Trying to make an ambitious game while also establishing hundreds of developers in separate teams, most of whom have never worked together before, would be extremely difficult under any circumstances. Any new game studio will take time to find its rhythm and develop a shared culture. But CIG was doing so in the public eye, funded by more than a million people."

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Wizard Master posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile 5913
Jobbo_Fett 5144
peter gabriel 5063
AP 4895
D_Smart 4116
Beet Wagon 4081
Tippis 3809
A Neurotic Jew 3334
Eonwe 3278
Daztek 3196
MeLKoR 3093
Mirificus 3089
orcinus 2779
Beer4TheBeerGod 2697
G0RF 2583
Samizdata 2488
Mr.Tophat 2396
Colostomy Bag 2293
Wafflz 2132
Scruffpuff 2016
Berious 1868
TTerrible 1862
Brazilianpeanutwar 1697
Chalks 1564
D1E 1563
alf_pogs 1539
Lime Tonics 1524
SelenicMartian 1519
spacetoaster 1508
SomethingJones 1480

I miss Eonwe's SC posts :(

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I like how the article completely avoids talking about Derek Smart but in every discussion of it there's shitizens going on about Derek Smart DEREK SMART DEREK SMART. Sure is helpful of them to make sure everyone knows about Derek Smart.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lazrin posted:

austin, still open.

He said that they were shuttering it not that it's been shuttered you retard.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Gravity_Storm posted:

This is a more complicated answer than you'd think. Obviously, no, CIG do not and should not get a say in when anyone publishes anything. But when you are doing things properly and not just vomiting half-checked vitriol onto the pavement there is a basic right for people to respond to your points if they choose to.

Some will use this knowledge to delay or tactically position articles by holding them to ransom, essentially saying 'If you publish now we'll say we offered our comment and you declined', and then offering up an interview, tour or meeting that moulds the date closer to their choosing and gives them time to plan damage control around it.

Luckily for everyone involved, none of that happened and they decided it would be a good idea to instead let Chris Roberts say a whole bunch of things with his perfect blessed mouth.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Regrettable posted:

He said that they were shuttering it not that it's been shuttered you retard.

do i have to take this kind of treatment here? where's the management?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Wizard Master posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile 5913
Jobbo_Fett 5144
peter gabriel 5063
AP 4895
D_Smart 4116
Beet Wagon 4081
Tippis 3809
A Neurotic Jew 3334
Eonwe 3278
Daztek 3196
MeLKoR 3093
Mirificus 3089
orcinus 2779
Beer4TheBeerGod 2697
G0RF 2583
Samizdata 2488
Mr.Tophat 2396
Colostomy Bag 2293
Wafflz 2132
Scruffpuff 2016
Berious 1868
TTerrible 1862
Brazilianpeanutwar 1697
Chalks 1564
D1E 1563
alf_pogs 1539
Lime Tonics 1524
SelenicMartian 1519
spacetoaster 1508
SomethingJones 1480

LOL that's a lot of shitposting.

Also, Wizard Poster you are the worst poster in this thread.

Congratulations Lazrin you moved up a spot.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

lazorexplosion posted:

I like how the article completely avoids talking about Derek Smart but in every discussion of it there's shitizens going on about Derek Smart DEREK SMART DEREK SMART. Sure is helpful of them to make sure everyone knows about Derek Smart.

Don't forget this is a series of articles not just one. They'll get a time to shine for reals.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I like Wizard Master. He's the thread sheriff we need, that doesn't melt under the pressure.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Telling the department heads to turtle up makes sense now.

Im pretty sure he could get this religion tax exempt status using those kotaku comments as evidence. Never leave money on the table robert.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Wizard Master posted:

The funny computer game
GBS rules and FYAD drools.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

D1E posted:

LOL that's a lot of shitposting.

Also, Wizard Poster you are the worst poster in this thread.

Congratulations Lazrin you moved up a spot.

it's much easier to buy that you're really proud of posting dog poo poo unworthy of a cursory glance when you don't turn into a big crying baby every time someone laughs at you for it.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

it's much easier to buy that you're really proud of posting dog poo poo unworthy of a cursory glance when you don't turn into a big crying baby every time someone laughs at you for it.

Scratch that Lazrin, you're not even second-worst.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Super Foul Egg posted:

Don't forget this is a series of articles not just one. They'll get a time to shine for reals.

I am glad of it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ey up space bros

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Super Foul Egg posted:

Can you get chris to say "hell to pay" but accidentally misprint it as hell toupee?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Well thanks a lot Beer. I just got kicked out of the bedroom - again - for laughing out loud while my wife is trying to sleep.

:argh:

First off, this thread actually consoles me about being single. Secondly, AWWWWW SNAP! Derek's getting revved up for another run down the :pgabz: highway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Just quote this at these morons:
Chris Roberts says SC started in 2011

quote:

Cloud Imperium Chief Creative Officer and Co-founder Chris Roberts said, “When I was first prototyping Star Citizen back in 2011 I did a lot of research on various LOD processes as I knew this would be important considering the large poly counts I was aiming for. Simplygon was the best tool that I used and the folks at Donya Labs were incredibly patient and supportive of me and Star Citizen in our early days when the game was far from a sure thing. I couldn’t be happier to announce that Simplygon is our official LOD tool for Star Citizen.”

• Locked thread