Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Shane but with an older, weary Ben Kenobi would be amazing. He never even needs to have his backstory filled in on screen because everyone will know it.

I'm still hoping Rey is a Kenobi from an affair he had on Tattoine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like the Rey "is descended from Palpatine or is a clone of him" theory the best so far.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i hope rey isn't biologically related to any of the characters from the previous movies

it would be cool and good if the title 'the force awakens' actually meant something (preferably 'you get the force, you get the force, everybody gets the force') rather than just being a 'the noun verbs' title

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

i hope rey isn't biologically related to any of the characters from the previous movies

it would be cool and good if the title 'the force awakens' actually meant something (preferably 'you get the force, you get the force, everybody gets the force') rather than just being a 'the noun verbs' title

Yeah, the lazy option is that Rey ends up being somehow a Skywalker (either a direct descendant of Luke, or the crazy Chosen One/Anakin reincarnation trilogy). Slightly less lazy is "Obi-Wan's kid/grandkid" or "related to Palpatine". But I really really really want Rey to symbolically carry on the Skywalker destiny, without being directly related to anyone from the OT.

Sadly, I think the suits at Disney are gonna follow the Lucas-ism of "Star Wars is about the Skywalkers" and she's going to be a literal Skywalker rather than a figurative one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
JJ specifically said that none of Rey's parents are in TFA.

Then again, JJ also said that Cumberbatch wasn't Khan, so JJ Abrams is a trickster poo poo-rear end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cause if he does, they'll announce the set tomorrow.

In which case he absolutely should, for the good of film history.

Take one for the team, man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gonz posted:

JJ specifically said that none of Rey's parents are in TFA.

Then again, JJ also said that Cumberbatch wasn't Khan, so JJ Abrams is a trickster poo poo-rear end.

Yeah; after the Khan thing I never trust pre-release JJ. Plus he could be being tricksy and Rey is like Luke's granddaughter or something. Or the child of a clone of Luke (from the severed hand), and as such the Luke we see isn't technically her father, or whatever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

teagone posted:

I like the Rey "is descended from Palpatine or is a clone of him" theory the best so far.

She's the daugther of Prince Ken!

Who was "tragically" killed by Kylo Ren.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rey has an uncle who works at Nintendo and he knows who her real parents are.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ungulateman posted:

The Star Wars

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

But I really really really want Rey to symbolically

Who are you, and what have you done with jivjov?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the lazy option is that Rey ends up being somehow a Skywalker (either a direct descendant of Luke, or the crazy Chosen One/Anakin reincarnation trilogy). Slightly less lazy is "Obi-Wan's kid/grandkid" or "related to Palpatine". But I really really really want Rey to symbolically carry on the Skywalker destiny, without being directly related to anyone from the OT.

Sadly, I think the suits at Disney are gonna follow the Lucas-ism of "Star Wars is about the Skywalkers" and she's going to be a literal Skywalker rather than a figurative one.

Maybe she is a female clone of Anakin.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rey's dad was a nameless Rebel pilot she never, her mother was a local prostitute. She's nobody.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Her dad was actually Dash Rendar and Episode VIII is going to be terrible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spacebump posted:

Maybe she is a female clone of Anakin.

People keep saying this (the Tranakin Skywalker Theory), but I feel like it really stretches the definition of "clone"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

General Dog posted:

People keep saying this (the Tranakin Skywalker Theory), but I feel like it really stretches the definition of "clone"
It would not be the first time a Disney character was a transgendered clone!

Note: Disney owns all of the Kingdom Hearts characters, not Square.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope she's an absolute no-one and gets the name Skywalker as an inheritor of a legacy not a lineage.

But its Disney so I'm steeling myself for whatever they throw out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

It would not be the first time a Disney character was a transgendered clone!

Note: Disney owns all of the Kingdom Hearts characters, not Square.

^transgender, not transgendered.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Who are you, and what have you done with jivjov?

I have broadened and expanded my mind by watching a bunch more movies (currently on hiatus because I am sometimes a lazy sack of poo poo.)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 24, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jivjov posted:

I'm not sure I see your point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Using "transgendered" to refer to a trans person is rude. "Transgender" is the correct way to do so.

I realize that in this instance you were referring to a fictional character...but it's still a good habit to have.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Raxivace posted:

"Transgender" isn't a verb

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jivjov posted:

Using "transgendered" to refer to a trans person is rude. "Transgender" is the correct way to do so.

I realize that in this instance you were referring to a fictional character...but it's still a good habit to have.
Fair enough! I meant no offense and apologize for any caused.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

I have broadened and expanded my mind by watching a bunch more movies (currently on hiatus because I am sometimes a lazy sack of poo poo.

I had always just sort of slid my eyes over that thread without really noticing it, but good for you. I haven't seen a lot of Kurosawa, but I'll be curious to see the Miyazaki reviews, so thanks for what I hope will be an interesting read.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Fair enough! I meant no offense and apologize for any caused.

You're good! I attributed it to not knowing, rather than malice on your part. :)

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I had always just sort of slid my eyes over that thread without really noticing it, but good for you. I haven't seen a lot of Kurosawa, but I'll be curious to see the Miyazaki reviews, so thanks for what I hope will be an interesting read.

I've honestly been a bit down on quite a few Miyazaki/Ghibli films, even ones that a lot of the rest of the thread seemed to like. Hopefully I don't disappoint you too hard! Anyway, hit me up over in that thread if you want more specific thoughts and/or to urge me to get back on track.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I thought one of the big marketed themes in TFA was supposed to be adoption and the willing creation of non-biological families? I guess the same could be said for ANH though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rey is not going to be a clone or a reincarnation of anyone. And what even is the appeal of making her the granddaughter of Palpatine or Obi-Wan, beyond the initial surprise value? Doing something like that won't expand either of those characters in any productive way—it just means we'd hear that Ben or Sheev hosed some rando at some point and then ditched her.

And there already is a hero who comes from literal namelessness and whose backstory is all wrapped up. He chooses the name Finn.

I am absolutely convinced that Rey's parents will be people we know and have seen in the movies. It's the only way for the mystery of her heritage to pay off. And there's an extreme lack of eligible candidates: she's definitely not Han and Leia's kid, and she's not Lando's, so all that's left is Luke and anyone who survives Rogue One.

Rey as Luke's kid offers lots of ways to develop the Luke character in the post-ROTJ setting, and it gives Rey a competing claim to the Skywalker legacy that young Ben Solo may have viewed as a threat. That's a cool family dynamic that hasn't been explored at all in the films so far.

Plus there's the billion parallels between Rey and Luke and Anakin: her hardscrabble childhood in the desert, her mechanical skills and piloting gifts, her companionship with the R2 expy, her need to understand the legacy her parents have left her, and so on. All of these could have been done totally differently, so they only make sense as either naked traditionalism or a conscious effort to tie her in particular to the Skywalker clan.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 24, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey is Luke's daughter. I'm sorry.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rey is Jabba's daughter.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Rey and Luke are the same person Fight Club style

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
She's not a person at all, but a Force black hole. Death will follow her.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Rebels S3 premieres tonight at 8:30PM EST, not sure I understand the timing of Saturday morning cartoons anymore.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

turtlecrunch posted:

Rebels S3 premieres tonight at 8:30PM EST, not sure I understand the timing of Saturday morning cartoons anymore.

Saturday morning cartoons are dead.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
:(

None of them were better than when the Sci Fi channel showed Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival on Saturday mornings anyway.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Zoran posted:

Rey is not going to be a clone or a reincarnation of anyone. And what even is the appeal of making her the granddaughter of Palpatine or Obi-Wan, beyond the initial surprise value? Doing something like that won't expand either of those characters in any productive way—it just means we'd hear that Ben or Sheev hosed some rando at some point and then ditched her.

And there already is a hero who comes from literal namelessness and whose backstory is all wrapped up. He chooses the name Finn.

I am absolutely convinced that Rey's parents will be people we know and have seen in the movies. It's the only way for the mystery of her heritage to pay off. And there's an extreme lack of eligible candidates: she's definitely not Han and Leia's kid, and she's not Lando's, so all that's left is Luke and anyone who survives Rogue One.

Rey as Luke's kid offers lots of ways to develop the Luke character in the post-ROTJ setting, and it gives Rey a competing claim to the Skywalker legacy that young Ben Solo may have viewed as a threat. That's a cool family dynamic that hasn't been explored at all in the films so far.

Plus there's the billion parallels between Rey and Luke and Anakin: her hardscrabble childhood in the desert, her mechanical skills and piloting gifts, her companionship with the R2 expy, her need to understand the legacy her parents have left her, and so on. All of these could have been done totally differently, so they only make sense as either naked traditionalism or a conscious effort to tie her in particular to the Skywalker clan.

This is all true except Luke is already literally Palpatine's grandson so Rey is his great granddaughter, so you can have it both ways.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jewmanji posted:

This is all true except Luke is already literally Palpatine's grandson so Rey is his great granddaughter, so you can have it both ways.

Luke is more spiritually Palpatine's grandson than literally. 1) force manipulation of midichlorians is not the same as genetic paternity. And 2) the book that confirmed that Palpatine and Plagiues' manipulations 100% caused Anakin's birth is no longer canonical.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the sperm in the eggs opera scene literally spells it out for us that Plagueis (or Palpatine) is Anakin's father. I mean, it's real blunt

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wild Horses posted:

the sperm in the eggs opera scene literally spells it out for us that Plagueis (or Palpatine) is Anakin's father. I mean, it's real blunt

Symbolism is not explicit text.

I mean; that's obviously the intent of the scene...but it cannot be taken as objective fact.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
When I discuss space fantasy about wizards and magic, I feel compelled to claim that symbolic interactions are not real or objective.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Symbolism is not explicit text.

I mean; that's obviously the intent of the scene...but it cannot be taken as objective fact.

Obvious symbolism and intent are insignificant next to the power of the Canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zoran posted:

I am absolutely convinced that Rey's parents will be people we know and have seen in the movies. It's the only way for the mystery of her heritage to pay off.

The expectation that Rey's parents must be someone notable kind of reminds me of a kid with a single parent telling himself that his Dad is secretly a special agent working for the government, and that's why he's never around to be a father. It seems depressingly naive and more than a little sad.

That's not to say it won't happen, but I'd be disappointed if it does.

Wild Horses posted:

Palpatine has a few ulterior motives. That scene isn't evidence that Anakin was created by Sith magic as much as it is evidence that Sheev recognizes how Anakin's messiah complex can be leveraged against him.

• Locked thread