Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the supplemental computing devices was just speculation, never imagined it would be real and wireless, but if it is really the same guy it's plausible. But foxconn is the size of Detroit, why would one guy be on both consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is that a literal Pocket Cloud computer? And I thought Nintendo was above memes.... sheesh.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The OUYA gives the NX extra power?? Someone get me Xboxpants in this thread, stat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

voltcatfish posted:

what will make the nx not fail like the wiiu did

the name alone??

portables is still a huge market and 3ds moved 60 million units in 4 years.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's fake. It comes from a Chinese thread about NX mockups.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Chinese nerds are scribbling their Nintendo fantasy just like Western nerds. Makes you think.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

You know since they put those nets up the suicidal cries for help have been getting way weirder at Foxconn.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

i am from nintendo, do not pay attention to this

this is not what the nx looks like

I knew it! BillmasterCozb is actually BillmasterTrinnen!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Here we go again!

https://twitter.com/nintex_nl/status/779434796669865984

There's the hand-held, a tiny box that improves performance when the hand-held is nearby, and a docking station for the hand-held. This guy leaked the PS4 Pro specs and Foxconn just got an order for the NX, so leak status is set at... Plausible!

:Edit:

Annotated version:

http://m.imgur.com/OK9qeo5?r.jpg

at least this is the most plausible likely fake leak so far, as it has the console/portable hybrid thing AND that increased-performance-with-wirelessly-networked-doohickey patent accounted for

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boten Anna posted:

at least this is the most plausible likely fake leak so far, as it has the console/portable hybrid thing AND that increased-performance-with-wirelessly-networked-doohickey patent accounted for

This is the least plausible leak, because a wireless performance improving device is an incredibly retarded idea.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is the least plausible leak, because a wireless performance improving device is an incredibly retarded idea.

Not at all? They've filed patents on it, and there's actually some tech that does just this sort of thing out there. It's not as good as slapping a GTX 1080 in sure, but if you're going to use slurs you should probably not be like, completely wrong.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I hope they launch the drat NX and it looks NOTHING like the popular tablet design just to gently caress with nerds.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The thing the size of a power brick is actually a power brick.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boten Anna posted:

Not at all? They've filed patents on it, and there's actually some tech that does just this sort of thing out there. It's not as good as slapping a GTX 1080 in sure, but if you're going to use slurs you should probably not be like, completely wrong.

It's an incredibly stupid idea. Just really really dumb. You have to hold your NX close to a little box when you're playing a game to get the performance boost. So if you're sitting on a couch and then lie down, oh no, you moved out of performance boost zone, your game dropped from 60 to 30 frames per second because you lay down. Or if you have multiple people over and they all brought their NXs, either they all brought their little cubes and plug them in, or they all have to hunch over the little cube, or just accept that some people are going to have an edge because they sat down in the chairs close to the little cube first. Or your game suddenly slows down and you look up and realize that the dog tripped over the power cord to the little cube and pulled it off the coffee table.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bean posted:

I hope they launch the drat NX and it looks NOTHING like the popular tablet design just to gently caress with nerds.

Yeah, "nerds" would hate that! Nerds.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's an incredibly stupid idea. Just really really dumb. You have to hold your NX close to a little box when you're playing a game to get the performance boost. So if you're sitting on a couch and then lie down, oh no, you moved out of performance boost zone, your game dropped from 60 to 30 frames per second because you lay down. Or if you have multiple people over and they all brought their NXs, either they all brought their little cubes and plug them in, or they all have to hunch over the little cube, or just accept that some people are going to have an edge because they sat down in the chairs close to the little cube first. Or your game suddenly slows down and you look up and realize that the dog tripped over the power cord to the little cube and pulled it off the coffee table.

So, its the console part of the console/handheld hybrid idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nah seems like a decent idea. They can sell better coprocessing units in the future while you keep your base unit, or even daisy chain them together. If you have your game consoles in the middle of the room where your dog can knock them over, maybe don't be as dumb?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Nah seems like a decent idea. They can sell better coprocessing units in the future while you keep your base unit, or even daisy chain them together. If you have your game consoles in the middle of the room where your dog can knock them over, maybe don't be as dumb?

You think Nintendo is going to sell a video game system that is best played sitting at home surrounded by dozens of little plastic cubes?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The thing the size of a power brick is actually a power brick.

being powered on would certainly improve performance

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Guy Goodbody posted:

You think Nintendo is going to sell a video game system that is best played sitting at home surrounded by dozens of little plastic cubes?

Hello I'd like to introduce you to my amiibo collection...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Not sure how a dog knocking over your Performance Brick With Omnidirectional Wifi is going to disconnect it, I imagine the thing will have a little better range than the Wii U gamepad and degrade much more gracefully, also guess what if your dog breathed on the reset button of your NES you're hosed, dropping to 30 FPS but not interrupting your game because your mom yanked out your Performance Brick because your report card just came in the mail is kind of cool, though you're in big trouble buster and your game getting interrupted is probably the least of your worries right now.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hello I'd like to introduce you to my amiibo collection...

Please don't hoard the qbby amiibos.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I find the magic cube that makes the NX stronger by proximity a bit hard to swallow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The magic cube is actually a pyramid :tinfoil:

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

greatn posted:

The NX2 will literally be 2 NX's strapped together lol

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boten Anna posted:

Not sure how a dog knocking over your Performance Brick With Omnidirectional Wifi is going to disconnect it, I imagine the thing will have a little better range than the Wii U gamepad and degrade much more gracefully, also guess what if your dog breathed on the reset button of your NES you're hosed, dropping to 30 FPS but not interrupting your game because your mom yanked out your Performance Brick because your report card just came in the mail is kind of cool, though you're in big trouble buster and your game getting interrupted is probably the least of your worries right now.

Goddamn. You are really emotionally invested in the obvious nonsense power cube you just heard about from a tweeted Chinese sketch

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking forward to the third party battery packs you can plug the power cube into. Just throw that whole mess into your backpack and you'll be able to play your games on the go but with a consistent framerate!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I would be happy if NX is the actual name of the thing but we'll see.

It's already got a lot of name recognition and hype, too, among the interested anyway. At this point it'd be kind of weird if they didn't keep the name. I think it's a good name and ever since it was first announced I've hoped that'll be what they call it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Goddamn. You are really emotionally invested in the obvious nonsense power cube you just heard about from a tweeted Chinese sketch

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm looking forward to the third party battery packs you can plug the power cube into. Just throw that whole mess into your backpack and you'll be able to play your games on the go but with a consistent framerate!

im sorry that your reasoning and understanding of technology is so sub-par you have to cry about it a lot, or think that anyone but nerds cares about framerate dips

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

:ironicat:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Just got word on the vine, the supplementary wireless box houses an advanced AI that will play competitive Nintendo games with you after you put the small amount of effort into learning a game that scares all your friends from ever playing with you again.... innovative and practical, Nintendo has done it again.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
According to Neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217902119&postcount=448

Chinese Sketch is makebelieve.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Reiley posted:

Just got word on the vine, the supplementary wireless box houses an advanced AI that will play competitive Nintendo games with you after you put the small amount of effort into learning a game that scares all your friends from ever playing with you again.... innovative and practical, Nintendo has done it again.

So, it really is an amiibo.

Talkc posted:

According to Neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217902119&postcount=448

Chinese Sketch is makebelieve.

edit: a cloud amiibo then

Sam Faust fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 24, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nintendo is installing power cubes at every McDonald's and DQ as we speak.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boten Anna posted:

im sorry that your reasoning and understanding of technology is so sub-par you have to cry about it a lot, or think that anyone but nerds cares about framerate dips

If only nerds care about framerate, why do they include the performance enhancing cube with the system? It is a genuinely terrible idea. All the games will work on the NX, but some of them(because I doubt all the devs are gonna bother with it) are going to run slightly better if you're within ten feet of a little plastic cube? Who does that appeal to? Why is that something that needs to be in the base model of Nintendo's new system?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy Goodbody posted:

If only nerds care about framerate, why do they include the performance enhancing cube with the system? It is a genuinely terrible idea. All the games will work on the NX, but some of them(because I doubt all the devs are gonna bother with it) are going to run slightly better if you're within ten feet of a little plastic cube? Who does that appeal to? Why is that something that needs to be in the base model of Nintendo's new system?

You're assuming that if the NX is some sort of weird Frankenstein console that gets added horsepower from the "cube/dock" that games will be optimized for the NX+dock, but it's going to be that games will be optimized for the hardware that's just in the console sans dock and the dock will just give it the extra power to run at higher resolutions.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

You're assuming that if the NX is some sort of weird Frankenstein console that gets added horsepower from the "cube/dock" that games will be optimized for the NX+dock, but it's going to be that games will be optimized for the hardware that's just in the console sans dock and the dock will just give it the extra power to run at higher resolutions.

I didn't say poo poo about no dock. Put the NX in the dock to get better resolution when you play NX games on the TV makes tons of sense and is a good idea. The cube that you hold next to your NX to get better resolution/framerate/whatever on the NX itself is the crazy idea

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The cube doesn't even make sense because the wireless latency would completely negate any computing power. Games run at 60fps. There's simply no way to send data from the tablet to the box, have the box compute significant stuff, and then send it back each frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Playing the first chapter of Color Splash, and I gotta say this is the funniest Paper Mario game with the best written dialogue out of the series so far.

• Locked thread