Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CharlestheHammer posted:

I disagree, except the art part. DH never could get good artists for SW.

What would you say the best Dark Horse Star Wars comics are?

I liked Rogue Squadron, Jedi vs Sith, and the Darth Vader and the {blank} minis the most so far.

I'm two thirds though the KOTOR comic and its been decent. Art quality has fallen off a cliff past the Vector arc though. Looks like it gets better in Volume 3.

I'm not really sure what to make of Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhFunny posted:

What would you say the best Dark Horse Star Wars comics are?

I'm personally a big fan of the whole prequel era (don't laugh) story arc that began with (I think) Timothy Truman's comics where Ki-Adi-Mundi was the main character and continued through John Ostrander's Quinlan Vos storyline. So that was the comic that began as Star Wars in 1999 and was retitled Star Wars: Republic after Episode II came out and then led into Dark Times (which I also enjoyed, on the whole).

I also like the Boba Fett comics John Wagner did in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

And Jedi vs Sith, as you mentioned, since it's not really anything like any other Star Wars story there's been just from a visual perspective (I did a big post about it ITT a while ago).

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm personally a big fan of the whole prequel era (don't laugh) story arc that began with (I think) Timothy Truman's comics where Ki-Adi-Mundi was the main character and continued through John Ostrander's Quinlan Vos storyline. So that was the comic that began as Star Wars in 1999 and was retitled Star Wars: Republic after Episode II came out and then led into Dark Times (which I also enjoyed, on the whole).

I second this, i'm just in the midst of rereading this run, they make me wonder what the prequels could have been like if they had a competent story writer.

Half way through Republic there are a few Jedi comics that tie in to the main story (Star Wars: Jedi - Aayla Secura, Star Wars: Jedi - Count Dooku, Star Wars: Jedi - Mace Windu, and Star Wars: Jedi - Shaak Ti) The events in these come up in the main book so if you can read these as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, there was also the "Jedi Council: Acts of War" miniseries which came out right after Episode I and tied in as well. First appearance of K'Kruhk (but not his hat).

As far as the Ostrander/Duursema stuff goes, Republic is my favourite by a country mile, if only because those were some of the first comics I was ever super into. I like Legacy well enough but I read it at a time when I was loving burned out on the entire New Jedi Order / Legacy of the Force thing and just wasn't interested in the distant future of the galaxy. By the same token, I never tried Dawn of the Jedi because, even as someone who read their "Star Wars: The Essential Chronology" until it was almost falling apart and enjoyed the ancient history of the setting and origins of the Republic and the Jedi and what not, it's a story I'm more interested in reading about than one I'm especially interested in reading.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 6, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

http://www.newsarama.com/31099-another-star-wars-ongoing-by-gillen-walker.html

Marvel announced another Star Wars ongoing to start in December written by Kieron Gillen and art by Kev Walker.

They're calling it Star Wars: Classified, but we don't know if that's the real title or what it will be about.

I'm thinking maybe something set in the prequel era. That way Marvel will have an ongoing Star Wars title for each of the three eras.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The title makes me think it could be about some sort of Rebel black ops group or some such. Would make sense, seeing as it launches around the time Rogue One comes out.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It'll be interesting to see when we get an ongoing that's not about the movie crew.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

OhFunny posted:

http://www.newsarama.com/31099-another-star-wars-ongoing-by-gillen-walker.html

Marvel announced another Star Wars ongoing to start in December written by Kieron Gillen and art by Kev Walker.

They're calling it Star Wars: Classified, but we don't know if that's the real title or what it will be about.

I'm thinking maybe something set in the prequel era. That way Marvel will have an ongoing Star Wars title for each of the three eras.

They aren't going to do a prequel era ongoing. It's either Rogue One spin-off or an Aphra ongoing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Clone Wars already pretty thoroughly explored the Prequel-era, and I think the people in charge of Star Wars seem to want to move away from the Prequels as much as they can, so I wouldn't expect a Prequel-era comic anytime soon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Roth posted:

The Clone Wars already pretty thoroughly explored the Prequel-era, and I think the people in charge of Star Wars seem to want to move away from the Prequels as much as they can, so I wouldn't expect a Prequel-era comic anytime soon.

Also they just had one last year.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

If the people in charge of Star Wars want to move away from the Prequel era...why is so much stuff in Rebels 100% predicated on direct Prequel connections?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jivjov posted:

If the people in charge of Star Wars want to move away from the Prequel era...why is so much stuff in Rebels 100% predicated on direct Prequel connections?

Also releasing the Journal of Obi-Wan in-between arcs

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I mean, I doubt they go so far as to say "Don't reference anything involving the prequels" but the impression I've gotten is that they're a lot more interested in doing new stuff with the Original and Sequel trilogies.

Edit - Actually I'm an idiot, I just remembered they putnout the Obi-Wan and Anakin mini-series out this year.

Roth fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 24, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll never argue that there's a Disney stance of "we're staying away from the politics stuff that people reacted badly to" or "we're focusing primarily on OT nostalgia or ST hype"....but there's just too much PT reference stuff that exists to support the argument of "We will never talk about the Prequels ever!"

Hell, The Force Awakens had an explicit reference to "a clone army" and that film was a tied to the OT as you can get.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They're gonna have a story about Yoda so I'm p sure they're gonna have clone war or earlier stuff

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nah, I just meant that they probably wouldn't be setting too much stuff in the prequel era anytime soon again. Sorry for the confusion.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What weirds me out is that the TFA didn't have a single twilek, rodian or anything else in it. I get expanding the galaxy but cmon guys

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ShineDog posted:

What weirds me out is that the TFA didn't have a single twilek, rodian or anything else in it. I get expanding the galaxy but cmon guys

Well, Ackbar and Nien Nunb showed up; so there was at least a Mon Cal and a Sullustan.

But yeah; I was hoping for a couple more recognizable species.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I was reasonably sure there was a female Bothan in TFA. She gets one line during the RebelResistance assault. Totally covered in orangeish fur, kind of a horsey dog face?

Could be wrong, but I think she was a Bothan.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The race to the bridge in this weeks sw was pretty funny

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Awesome
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/786311550155882496

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Utterly unsurprising, but I'll take it.

Part of me wishes that they'd just left it at Vader foregoing the saber and airlocking her out of spite, but again, she's just too popular a character.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Surely she'd have to change her name and face. I mean, yeah, the galaxy's a big place and all but...

In any event, that epilogue practically gave me a flashback to the end of Shadows of the Empire, you just knew right away Gillen was going to pull a Dash Rendar with it. Also, the Sandpeople story owned, best thing about the issue by far.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It'll be interesting to see how well it performs as the first Marvel Star Wars comic headlined by a non-movie character.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 13, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that title belongs to Kanan, which lasted 12 issues. Not sure how popular Aphra is in comparison.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

I think that title belongs to Kanan, which lasted 12 issues. Not sure how popular Aphra is in comparison.

Kanan at least is a main character of an ongoing televised property. Aphra is purely a comics creation

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Sentinel Red posted:

Surely she'd have to change her name and face. I mean, yeah, the galaxy's a big place and all but...

In any event, that epilogue practically gave me a flashback to the end of Shadows of the Empire, you just knew right away Gillen was going to pull a Dash Rendar with it. Also, the Sandpeople story owned, best thing about the issue by far.

I was a little confused by it. I mean, I get that they built a WICKER MAN DARTH VADER!!!, but they also sacrificed the survivor of his attack to it?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I was a little confused by it. I mean, I get that they built a WICKER MAN DARTH VADER!!!, but they also sacrificed the survivor of his attack to it?

What better way to appease the demon and keep it from haunting other tribes than by getting rid of that last guy is my take from it.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

jivjov posted:

I'll never argue that there's a Disney stance of "we're staying away from the politics stuff that people reacted badly to" or "we're focusing primarily on OT nostalgia or ST hype"....but there's just too much PT reference stuff that exists to support the argument of "We will never talk about the Prequels ever!"

Hell, The Force Awakens had an explicit reference to "a clone army" and that film was a tied to the OT as you can get.

The Clone army mention wasn't a prequel reference. It was just a reference that clones exist in the SW universe the same way A New Hope made a brief passing reference to "the clone wars"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Han Solo #4 also came out Wednesday and I really enjoyed it.

The characterization is really on point and the art is great. I really dig this racer story line and the mystery of who's the traitor spy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-announces-darth-maul-series-from-cullen-bunn-luke-ross/

Darth Maul 5-issue mini will begin in February. It will be set before Episode 1.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"Luke Ross” (Marvel’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” adaptation)."

gently caress

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up Issue #1 of Doctor Aphra today. I really really really don't like the art. Still absolutely adore the characters though.

EDIT: And we have possibly the first ever canonical Star Wars euphemism for using the restroom: Better go feed the sarlacc

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

jivjov posted:

EDIT: And we have possibly the first ever canonical Star Wars euphemism for using the restroom: Better go feed the sarlacc

Worth throwing the old EU out for

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Whole-heartedly agreed.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think the arts really inconsistent. I really like the first few pages. I really like the looser long shots, but when he gets detailed about things it's often ugly as hell. Expressive though.

Except on the mad maxesque crime guy. That guy I loved every panel of since the ugly works.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Loved all the art in aphra #1. I think the Lando and Han Solo 1 shots have had the best art. Definitely liking Aphra and hope they can keep it up. Vaders art was among the worst aspect of that series imo and the regular star wars on going has been rough at times too. Its much easier to be consistent on one shots so thats probably why they have all been among my favs so hopefully aphra keeps on track.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jerkface posted:

Vaders art was among the worst aspect of that series imo

Counterpoint.

:colbert:

I'm sorry, but for a main character who has zero loving facial expressions, the art in Vader made you goddamn feel every ounce of rage and even exasperation Vader was feeling.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I thought the art in Darth Vader was really strong.

Though there were a couple of missteps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There were good bits, definitely. but so many wonky faces with random shading and lines and frequently weird formless geometry that looks like nothing. Whenever the book goes somewhere interesting or away from the established style it fails to pop. Shu torun largely failed to execute on its super fun premise. Random rocks and camera angles, bad photoreference of bucket wheels. Just lots of red and murky art.

The real problem to me though is that its all so stiff and lifeless. Everyone's kind of stood there. It doesn't have like, immomens eye for an action scene from the main book. The art shoots for moody but half the time that just mean throwing down blacks haphazardly and a gradient colour fill and uninteresting colour choices. Compare the lando book where that stuff just pops.

I dunno. It's got the kind of stiffness and lifelesness of a poser traced comic. Aphra was rough and inconsistent but it had energy and personality.