Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

i find this to be absolutely idiotic in motogp. it forces drivers to make decisions based on information they couldn't possibly have. it's complete guesswork. at best it adds nothing to the racing, at worst it ruins it.

It adds unpredictability. A lot of poo poo in motorsports is unpredictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

i find this to be absolutely idiotic in motogp. it forces drivers to make decisions based on information they couldn't possibly have. it's complete guesswork. at best it adds nothing to the racing, at worst it ruins it.

What exactly do you mean by this? The only time I've seen it ruin a race is when conditions were borderline between a wet or dry tire and that happens just as frequently in F1 with an open line of communication and the ability to make tire decisions much quicker.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

It adds unpredictability. A lot of poo poo in motorsports is unpredictable.

it takes away skill. it's not an individual sport.

1500quidporsche posted:

What exactly do you mean by this? The only time I've seen it ruin a race is when conditions were borderline between a wet or dry tire and that happens just as frequently in F1 with an open line of communication and the ability to make tire decisions much quicker.

i've seen a few races where there's a question of if the leader has a big enough gap to hold off someone on fresher tires who is closing, just like ricciardo and rosberg in singapore. in F1 the team can look at lap times and tire degradation and make a determination. in motogp the rider literally has no idea that scenario is even happening. there's only so much you can express on a pit board and that's entirely dependent on the rider looking at the drat thing, which they don't always do.

wicka fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 23, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The drivers can use their feel, and their own judgement.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

adding unpredictability for the sake of unpredictability defeats the entire point of even having a competition, we might as well just roll some dice and give the trophy to gutierrez and save the billions of dollars

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

adding unpredictability for the sake of unpredictability defeats the entire point of even having a competition, we might as well just roll some dice and give the trophy to gutierrez and save the billions of dollars

Nobody controls the weather. That's motorsport.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The drivers can use their feel, and their own judgement.

they can feel their bike, they can't feel every other bike on the track and now exactly what they have to do to win, or how fast others are going, etc. don't be a doofus

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Nobody controls the weather. That's motorsport.

nobody can control the weather, that's an idiotic comparison

there's a big difference between artificial unpredictability and the immutable laws of the universe, jim

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

can you even point out a race where radio communication ruined it? it's a completely fabricated complaint anyway. thought we were done with this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like, the weather is always going to be an unpredictable element so the idea of "fairness" goes out the window. so the idea of the drivers having to figure out the conditions for themselves is more interesting to me than having a bunch of guys at weather computers do it for the drivers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Like, the weather is always going to be an unpredictable element so the idea of "fairness" goes out the window. so the idea of the drivers having to figure out the conditions for themselves is more interesting to me than having a bunch of guys at weather computers do it for the drivers.

you're not listening, slugger: from the rider's perspective, it's literally impossible to "figure it out." they do not have the tools to make a reasoned decision. either the team does it or no one does and the race is determined by luck, which again, defeats the point of even racing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

it takes away skill. it's not an individual sport.

i've seen a few races where there's a question of if the leader has a big enough gap to hold off someone on fresher tires who is closing, just like ricciardo and rosberg in singapore. in F1 the team can look at lap times and tire degradation and make a determination. in motogp the rider literally has no idea that scenario is even happening. there's only so much you can express on a pit board and that's entirely dependent on the rider looking at the drat thing, which they don't always do.

There's a team element but there used to be a part of this sport that you put that car in the hands of one guy at the end of the day and ultimately it was up to him to bring it home and I miss that sort of fighter pilot mentality.

Also I'd argue that Riccardo would've never been in that scenario without radio anyways. It's up to the driver to determine whether their tires are good enough to finish the race or gamble on a new set. People talk about tire management but that used to be a skill drivers actually had at one point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

you're not listening, slugger: from the rider's perspective, it's literally impossible to "figure it out." they do not have the tools to make a reasoned decision. either the team does it or no one does and the race is determined by luck, which again, defeats the point of even racing.

No, they might make a wrong decision, but driving skill plays a huge part in how well you can go if you have the wrong tires. A skilled driver can survive if they go an extra lap on slicks if it starts to rain, a less skilled guy will put it in the barriers. Same with things like driving on badly worn rain tires on a drying track.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Also I'd argue that Riccardo would've never been in that scenario without radio anyways. It's up to the driver to determine whether their tires are good enough to finish the race or gamble on a new set. People talk about tire management but that used to be a skill drivers actually had at one point.

it's up to the driver to feel the tires and know what they are capable of. the driver cannot look three corners ahead and see where the next car is. he cannot see the leader's lap times. there are two pieces of information here. the driver only has one, the team only has the other, they work together to get the best result they can. without radio the driver is just guessing, and that's utterly pointless.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like even the "random" MotoGP races had things like Iannone being much better at riding on a falling-apart rain tire than his teammate was at Brno. This isn't taking driver skill out of it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

No, they might make a wrong decision, but driving skill plays a huge part in how well you can go if you have the wrong tires. A skilled driver can survive if they go an extra lap on slicks if it starts to rain, a less skilled guy will put it in the barriers. Same with things like driving on badly worn rain tires on a drying track.

holy poo poo dude WHAT is your problem

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it doesn't matter how good you are at driving the car or the bike, if the guy 8 seconds behind you is gaining 2 seconds a lap, and there's 10 laps left, he's catching you. and the leader can be as skilled as he loving wants, it doesn't matter, if he's incapable of knowing where second place is he's going to lose. and that's not based on skill.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

it doesn't matter how good you are at driving the car or the bike, if the guy 8 seconds behind you is gaining 2 seconds a lap, and there's 10 laps left, he's catching you. and the leader can be as skilled as he loving wants, it doesn't matter, if he's incapable of knowing where second place is he's going to lose. and that's not based on skill.

Pit boards show gaps and can show lap times.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

MotoGP and GP2 have been immensely entertaining racing this year, both series have rules which have created good products.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

it's up to the driver to feel the tires and know what they are capable of. the driver cannot look three corners ahead and see where the next car is. he cannot see the leader's lap times. there are two pieces of information here. the driver only has one, the team only has the other, they work together to get the best result they can. without radio the driver is just guessing, and that's utterly pointless.

He gets the gap to the driver once per lap on the pitboard. He sees the gap going down and then figures out that he needs to start hauling rear end or pit for new tires. There's like zero guesswork involved in this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Imagine if Riccardo pitted and Rosberg had kept poodling about for an extra two laps and then Riccardo catches him with like five laps to go and they're battling with no DRS and then one of them runs out of fuel with two corners to go because some babysitter isn't reminding them about it three times a lap. That's a textbook good 80s race.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

pit boards CAN show whatever, drivers don't always look at them (sometimes there is a race happening), and at best you're given a one lap delay in implementing that strategy, which could completely change the race. at the end of the day that's just shittier, ineffective radio communication.

if you're fine with telling the driver gap times, let teams whisper it in his fuckin ear

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Imagine if Riccardo pitted and Rosberg had kept poodling about for an extra two laps and then Riccardo catches him with like five laps to go and they're battling with no DRS and then one of them runs out of fuel with two corners to go because some babysitter isn't reminding them about it three times a lap. That's a textbook good 80s race.

that is a textbook awful race, good/great races are battles to the end, not "oh man he ran out of fuel because reasons"

a good race is like button's miracle in canada, where vettel runs wide on the last lap. good races are not races that prevent that scenario from even happening. that's a baffling perspective.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 1990 Mexican Grand Prix featured Senna being a dumbshit and running his tires to the rim until they fell apart. Was that a bad race?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

and again - where are these races that have been ruined by radio communication? where were the brilliant races when radio communication was briefly and torturously restricted? what changed for the better?

Alain Post posted:

The 1990 Mexican Grand Prix featured Senna being a dumbshit and running his tires to the rim until they fell apart. Was that a bad race?

did he have all the information available to make the right decision and just gently caress up? or was it complete bad luck?

wicka fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 23, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

did he have all the information available to make the right decision and just gently caress up? or was it complete bad luck?

he was retarded

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i never claimed that radio communication had ever ruined a race. I'm just stating a preference.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

he was retarded

right, so you are proving my point.

what you're suggesting by banning radio communication would be like banning betting and bluffing in poker, just dealing five cards to people and being like "what'd you get? oh no sorry you lose."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the radio is not an inherent part of motorsport.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think motorsports has to be about making the most informed decision at every moment of the race so I think there is a far deeper philosophical difference in what we're arguing Wicka. Old F1 was great to me because those guys were getting into the car and were by themselves for the whole race. Of course there's an element of luck to it and people are going to make terrible decisions but everyone was on a level playing field and made equally bad decisions from time to time.

We all bitch and moan that the drivers are robots now because they are. They have very limited input into any decision making process. I honestly think it'd be brilliant if you just threw 24 drivers onto the grid and told them to drive the race however they wanted.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

wicka posted:

You can give them that info through a pit board

RIC +14s
THIS LAP
-2.3s
PITTED
3L AGO SS

that said I'm not particularly for banning radios

poty fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 23, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Listening to driver act like petulant children over the radio is the highlight of the race for me and don't you dare try to take it away from me again.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

Listening to driver act like petulant children over the radio is the highlight of the race for me and don't you dare try to take it away from me again.

:agreed:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

learnincurve posted:

This

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

FROG-BOY
STFU
LUV GERI + BOYS
XXX
LOL

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

This is a false dichotomy and you know it. I'm old enough to remember cryptic messages written on pitboards and drivers sitting around in the conference after the race piecing together exactly what happened given what they all individually know. Hell, it was even more engaging for the viewers as you genuinely didn't know what was going to happen instead of today's perfect information where you know precisely how many laps someone can push on jello tires before they go back to engine-save-mode-a415.

You can make an argument that the current formula puts *way* too much burden on knowing everything to even be part way workable. It wouldn't be 'impossible' for the drivers to know if they were competitive if there weren't multiple arbitrary compounds of tyres with dramatic shifts in performance over 2 laps, or a rules system that punishes leaving an engine-save mode for one lap more than necessary.

I'm not FOR banning radio but the reliance on them is a symptom not a cause. It really SHOULD be possible for a driver to drive his race without someone doing an analysis of how each of the other 21 people are jumping through rules-hoops before he can feed this to his driver.

In the F1 2016 game I need to repeatedly press "who am i racing" because I can't loving work it out based on being able to see everyone's lap times myself. If I pick up [other racing sim] there's no such problem.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Kilmers Elbow posted:

FROG-BOY
STFU
LUV GERI + BOYS
XXX
LOL

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
wicka makes a good logical point, as people with his condition often do. But if you watch MotoGP you'll see numerous times where a lack of command communication from pit to rider -- not necessarily a lack of radio but more of a culture of "let the rider ride" -- has led to a surprising and interesting race outcome. Sometimes akin to a Lotus or Sauber winning a race. Not necessarily better battles on the track but at least a finishing order that wasn't completely predictable.

Also, if you listen to radio calls in some other sports like NASCAR or Indy, you'll get a sense of what flat vapid corporate automatons everyone in F1 (and WEC for that matter) are. There are virtually no opinions or emotions to speak of in F1 radio transmissions relative to NASCAR which is full of hilarious poo poo all the time. F1 style radio doesn't add much to the viewing experience, with rare exceptions of Sebvet getting upset or Their Jense being witty.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Liberty Media needs to allow commentary to car communication and car to car communication. Let's go for broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

bless this the worst thread

• Locked thread