Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Unfortunately, this election is just like every election for the past 34 years. I guess we're boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ponzicar posted:

Nevermind that. What does the octopus that predicts superbowl winners say about it?

He died a few years ago. RIP Paulrambe

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BigRed0427 posted:

I can see Someone perfecting the way Trump campaigns in a way that the GOP leadership can control better and fine tune to actually win an election.

I also see the Republicans getting something similar to Super Delegates.

There's not enough time for someone to perfect the White Nationalism campaign that doesn't make women angry and win an election. We are at the end times of the era of white dominance of the electoral process to the point where winning them gets you elected. Every cycle is a few percentage points less white and every election cycle has an extra few points of solid Republican supporters attempting to gentrify the great beyond. 2016 might even have been the last year where it was possible, but Donnie T went and told the broads to make him a sandwich and to try and smile more.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

1. Party Mandate: After the midterm elections, the incumbent party holds more seats in the U.S. House of Representatives than after the previous midterm elections.
2. Contest: There is no serious contest for the incumbent party nomination.
3. Incumbency: The incumbent party candidate is the sitting president.
4. Third party: There is no significant third party or independent campaign.
5. Short-term economy: The economy is not in recession during the election campaign.
6. Long-term economy: Real per capita economic growth during the term equals or exceeds mean growth during the previous two terms.
7. Policy change: The incumbent administration effects major changes in national policy.
8. Social unrest: There is no sustained social unrest during the term.
9. Scandal: The incumbent administration is untainted by major scandal.
10. Foreign/military failure: The incumbent administration suffers no major failure in foreign or military affairs.
11. Foreign/military success: The incumbent administration achieves a major success in foreign or military affairs.
12. Incumbent charisma: The incumbent party candidate is charismatic or a national hero.
13. Challenger charisma: The challenging party candidate is not charismatic or a national hero.

A fatal flaw here is that there's one additional factor this guy forgot to include in his model.

14. Literally Hitler?: One candidate is literally Hitler.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jazerus posted:

A fatal flaw here is that there's one additional factor this guy forgot to include in his model.

Well, at least 88% Hitler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hitler would poll better in california based off his vegetarianism

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFSjpUF_8dw

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jazerus posted:

Nessus posted:

Well, at least 88% Hitler.

:golfclap:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

If he predicted Bush's win over Gore then he hasn't predicted 30 years of elections correctly

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

stone cold posted:

How does he operationalize those variables? Or does he even?

It's a model that's based on the highly scientific and exact whim and caprice of it's creator.

A wonderful mix of mostly "correlation is not causation", at best, hard number factoids and stated situations with varying degrees of possible subjective answer.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

karlor posted:

Oh, and Kanye has made many noteworthy contributions to pop culture. I, for one, am entertained.

Real talk, Kanye is a terrible person and probably the second most famous delusional narcissist in America right now. That said, he is the most influential hip-hop artist and producer of the last 25 years. Without Kanye there's no one to create the fourth wave of hip-hop. Without Kanye there's no Kendrick or Chance or Vic Mensa or Future.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Endorph posted:

I dunno, Hitler seems like he'd have difficulty winning the Jewish vote

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

I dunno, Hitler seems like he'd have difficulty winning the Jewish vote
he certainly couldn't do any worse than trump

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gyges posted:

There's not enough time for someone to perfect the White Nationalism campaign that doesn't make women angry and win an election. We are at the end times of the era of white dominance of the electoral process to the point where winning them gets you elected. Every cycle is a few percentage points less white and every election cycle has an extra few points of solid Republican supporters attempting to gentrify the great beyond. 2016 might even have been the last year where it was possible, but Donnie T went and told the broads to make him a sandwich and to try and smile more.

Well. Pardon me for putting the Arzy hat on for the moment. VOX put out this video today describing that even with the demographics, the Dems having a better chance nation wide isn't a sure thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15WhOT_lQiA

Granted this doesn't take into account that if the Republicans wan't a future, then they have to stomp out the racist elements of their party as hard as they can.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shillary posted:

Without Kanye there's no one to create the fourth wave of hip-hop. Without Kanye there's no Kendrick or Chance or Vic Mensa or Future.

Good.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Endorph posted:

Röhm would have helped him secure the influential gay vote.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Endorph posted:

he certainly couldn't do any worse than trump
Well Hitler wouldn't have the big brass balls to go tell the Jews "what have you got to lose?"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Well. Pardon me for putting the Arzy hat on for the moment. VOX put out this video today describing that even with the demographics, the Dems having a better chance nation wide isn't a sure thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15WhOT_lQiA

Granted this doesn't take into account that if the Republicans wan't a future, then they have to stomp out the racist elements of their party as hard as they can.

The conclusion to this video makes very little sense. He points out that the actual recurring trend is presidents losing midterm elections, using both Republicans and Democrats as examples, and points out that just being in power for 8 to 12 years is what caused Republicans to take control of so many states. But then he concludes by saying that "when the Democrats do lose the White House they'll have very little to fall back on". Well, yeah. The same way the Republicans had very little to fall back on in 2008 when they got demolished and Democrats took a ton of states. They bounced back in two years.

I get the major point: without losing presidential elections it's hard for Democrats to rebuild the party, and while the Democrats have an advantage in the presidential race it can actually disadvantage them in other races, especially midterms. But he makes this out like it's some insurmountable long-term problem and there's no way for the Democrats to resolve it without losing, which I think is overstating the case.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
"Yes Hillary may be winning, but is she winning by too much? More tonight at 11."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I heard that napalming the Vietnamese village was actually saving it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ponzicar posted:

Nevermind that. What does the octopus that predicts superbowl winners say about it?

Life expectancy of under two years m8.

They actually develop cognitive ability at a faster rate than us.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Four dead in a mall shooting in Burlington Washington. Suspect on loose.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Four dead in a mall shooting in Burlington Washington.

Shooter dead or alive?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

Shooter dead or alive?

Still alive and at large.

Edit: apparently it's a Hispanic male.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Well that's different.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

seiferguy posted:

Weird. Well, I hope they stop him before he hurts anyone else.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

We sure that someone just can't tell the difference between a Hispanic and a MIddle Easternish man?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Expecting an inflammatory comment from Trump's twitter in twelve hours.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

seiferguy posted:

More Good News for Trump

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We sure that someone just can't tell the difference between a Hispanic and a MIddle Easternish man?

"We're looking for a male, aged 25-30, some sort of swarthy"

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
lol at testing a thirteen-variable model with seven data points

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Life expectancy of under two years m8.

They actually develop cognitive ability at a faster rate than us.
We're lucky they have such short lifespans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shillary posted:

Real talk, Kanye is a terrible person and probably the second most famous delusional narcissist in America right now. That said, he is the most influential hip-hop artist and producer of the last 25 years. Without Kanye there's no one to create the fourth wave of hip-hop. Without Kanye there's no Kendrick or Chance or Vic Mensa or Future.

There's been no such thing as hip-hop since Kool Keith retired

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So the Dems need to flip 4 Senate seats to tie and 5 to be in the majority, right?

Johnson-Feingold: Likely flip based on most polling
Bayh: Possible flip but has gone from "big win" towards "tossup" (4% last I saw) during the period where Clinton's polling has gone into the shitter and the GOP has coalesced around Trump. I also hear something about some controversy about whether he's a Hoosier state resident? What's up there?
Ayotte/Hassen: Was looking good for a flip but Ayotte back with a small lead while Clinton polling went into the shitter. Still a good chance for a pickup if Clinton improves and presses her ground game in the state?
Toomey: Tossup that could be a flip with a good Clinton performance and ground game?
Portman/Strickland: game over, GOP holds
Rubio: - Likely GOP hold? Are there going to be debates or anything?
Burr (NC): close but looks promising for a flip?

And on the defense side, Reid's seat looks a bit shaky?

I'm really feeling that how Clinton does is going to be a huge determinant of how these races go. If she's doing well, like post convention, downticket looks great. When she's falling on her rear end on camera, the downticket suffers as well.

A lot is riding on her debates and performance on the stump in general.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

vyelkin posted:

The conclusion to this video makes very little sense. He points out that the actual recurring trend is presidents losing midterm elections, using both Republicans and Democrats as examples, and points out that just being in power for 8 to 12 years is what caused Republicans to take control of so many states. But then he concludes by saying that "when the Democrats do lose the White House they'll have very little to fall back on". Well, yeah. The same way the Republicans had very little to fall back on in 2008 when they got demolished and Democrats took a ton of states. They bounced back in two years.

I get the major point: without losing presidential elections it's hard for Democrats to rebuild the party, and while the Democrats have an advantage in the presidential race it can actually disadvantage them in other races, especially midterms. But he makes this out like it's some insurmountable long-term problem and there's no way for the Democrats to resolve it without losing, which I think is overstating the case.

It also assumes the only path toward Presidential nomination is through State level government. Which ignores the fact that since 2000 the Democratic candidate has been someone who rose to prominence through Federal office(all of them Senators in fact, while Al Gore also wore the mantle of VP). It also points to legislative wins by the Republicans in the States that relied heavily on the Judicial branch playing along with the State level Republicans. By the end of Hillary's term the Judiciary will be far more liberal and far more likely to kick Republican legislative initiatives square in the legal nuts.

Plus there's the assumption that continued failure by the Republicans to win the Presidency will have no effect on their down ballot. If they only have 8 out of 24/32 years in power that's gonna force them to do some real soul searching. A similar situation is what lead to Clinton and the rise of triangulation in the 90s after all. Which has the side benefit of loving with the assumption that the mega liberal Democrats are too out of touch with the minor liberal country, so of course the minor liberal country will go major conservative instead of the out of power major conservative party tacking left.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Zwabu posted:

Bayh: Possible flip but has gone from "big win" towards "tossup" (4% last I saw) during the period where Clinton's polling has gone into the shitter and the GOP has coalesced around Trump. I also hear something about some controversy about whether he's a Hoosier state resident? What's up there?

Bayh will be fine. He's currently smashing Young, according to 538. He used to be a major political player in Indiana, while Todd Young has virtually no political clout in Indiana. As for the residency thing, he has a house in Washington DC.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

We're lucky they have such short lifespans.

My dream Discovery to read about before I die is somehow interpreting or analyzing animal Consciousness at a much higher level than we already do. Imagine how much difference the intelligence of a human toddler to small child would be in a creature that's been completely designed from birth to be antisocial and isolated. It has to be as bizarre and different as any science fiction alien.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

My dream Discovery to read about before I die is somehow interpreting or analyzing animal Consciousness at a much higher level than we already do. Imagine how much difference the intelligence of a human toddler to small child would be in a creature that's been completely designed from birth to be antisocial and isolated. It has to be as bizarre and different as any science fiction alien.
The neo-octopoi are fine, but do you want one marrying your daughtrix?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/colvinj/status/779528714455490560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Imagine how much difference the intelligence of a human toddler to small child would be in a creature that's been completely designed from birth to be antisocial and isolated.
you could just study this year's republican nominees

• Locked thread