Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Just vote for Helen cos a goon told you to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

That's what I told the UN.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Fukin works

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

To be fair, that's two goons. What more do you need?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey guys, don't vote for Helen.

Check mate, NZ thread. :c00lbutt:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Vote for butt

Street

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Oh poo poo guys, now what do I do??

(Helen seems pretty cool and good and has my vote, sorry Vagabundo)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vote for butt

Street

What is butt's treat?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
city vision sent me a letter telling me who to vote for, so I did what they said since they went to the trouble

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I automatically exclude anybody who puts anything in my mailbox from my selection pool.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My voting papers still haven't come :( How long do you have to be overseas before they stop letting you vote?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Special voting.

It's super fun.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010

bike tory posted:

My voting papers still haven't come :( How long do you have to be overseas before they stop letting you vote?

3 years*! I got one of those orange envelopes a couple months back and was like "cool, is this for local elections" then opened it and exclaimed "wow gently caress you"

*Unless you're working for the guv'mnt or our military-industrial complex

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bananachin posted:

3 years*! I got one of those orange envelopes a couple months back and was like "cool, is this for local elections" then opened it and exclaimed "wow gently caress you"

*Unless you're working for the guv'mnt or our military-industrial complex

Cheers, I should be expecting them in time to vote then~

I knew it was either 5 or 8 years.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

No poo poo

An early statement

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'd be interested to see how much Chch has diversified at the next census; the rebuild appears to have changed the demographics quite a bit, although a few of them are Brits, 2013 just seems like another lifetime here.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

How could you visibly tell an English person from a regular Chch resident before the quakes?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Varkk posted:

How could you visibly tell an English person from a regular Chch resident before the quakes?

No visible swastika tattoos, not actively disposing of a dead prostitute via the Avon.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Infotainment! posted:

No visible swastika tattoos, not actively disposing of a dead prostitute via the Avon.

:vince:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Binkenstein posted:

I'm not really confident in his ability to be anything other than a protester/protest vote.

To be fair, I'm not confident in Dalziel to do anything except rubber stamp central government plans to spend rate payers money at this point.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Ghostlight posted:

I automatically exclude anybody who puts anything in my mailbox from my selection pool.

I agree, if they can't understand what "No Junk Mail" means then they clearly can't be trusted to run things.

I know its not them personally doing it but I'm sure the lackey on the street has been given orders to ignore all signs asking to not fill my post box with crap.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

No junk mail does not cover election advertising. It is apparently covered in the legislation.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

well gently caress them anyway

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dragonstoned posted:

well gently caress them anyway

Don't gently caress them that's how you get more of them

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
When can we admit that the Spinoff has got really poo poo?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

When can we admit that the Spinoff has got really poo poo?

Bad opinions happening in this here thread.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010

bike tory posted:

Cheers, I should be expecting them in time to vote then~

I knew it was either 5 or 8 years.

I was mistaken; you can't vote in the general if you've been overseas more than three years but no such restriction exists for local elections. My voting papers for the local elections arrived today, and they're currently spread out before me so I can get this done before bed and mail 'em tomorrow.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bananachin posted:

I was mistaken; you can't vote in the general if you've been overseas more than three years but no such restriction exists for local elections. My voting papers for the local elections arrived today, and they're currently spread out before me so I can get this done before bed and mail 'em tomorrow.

Ya mine came the same day I asked that question.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So just being real here, I've got about 18 months left on a law degree. Starting out in Wellington with a double degree in Law/Mandarin Chinese, on the off-chance I actually get a job in the legal profession, I'll be earning $80K after six or seven years. That is significantly better pay than I'd get in the South Island, in one of the stereotypically well-paid careers.

Who the gently caress is getting $80K/year 3 years after graduation? That's ridiculous. It's moon money. Do you have any idea what the current financial situation for graduates in NZ is like?

yo this is a few pages back but i was on 170k two years after graduation

unfortunately that job fell over but since i've qualified i've never earnt less than $70k

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

also just gonna go ahead and qualify that by saying not everyone wants to work at sea, but i chose it specifically because of the high pay and being away long stretches doesn't bother me

it's also pretty much one of the only jobs where you can live where you choose since the company is responsible for getting you home so i'm pretty much that unicorn

but if you're willing to sacrifice a normal life, any kind of family events and work insane hours for extended stretches, the money is there

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Buccaneers posting ITT

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Jokes on him, he could have engaged in brazen theft by joining the National Party, and he wouldn't even have to leave his house.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

All you need to do to make lots of money as a graduate working in New Zealand is not actually work in New Zealand

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Yeah I left nz after high school and was earning nz$ six figgy salary because you know, exchange rate

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I earned almost exactly twice as much working overseas.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Two Finger posted:

also just gonna go ahead and qualify that by saying not everyone wants to work at sea, but i chose it specifically because of the high pay and being away long stretches doesn't bother me

it's also pretty much one of the only jobs where you can live where you choose since the company is responsible for getting you home so i'm pretty much that unicorn

but if you're willing to sacrifice a normal life, any kind of family events and work insane hours for extended stretches, the money is there
Wait, for real? I've got Law of the Sea and Maritime Law lined up next year - I was definitely thinking about doing something related to shipping/trade at this point. Can you go on about this, because it sounds totally up my alley.

edit: maybe PM me?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Opinions I support (apart from TPPA one):

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/columnists/84586446/Dave-Armstrong-A-bit-of-abracadabra-algebra?cid=app-android

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The TPPA one isn't really an opinion. It's dead on the US's doorstep, as it was always going to be.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For all the furore about that MCAT exam, it should be noted that it generally was at Level 6 of the Achievement Objectives for Mathematics in the NZ Curriculum, even if it was in the high end of things. On another note, the vast majority of the Y11s that sat the exam at my school passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Numbers, reading and writing. Pretty much all of what govt is concerned about?

• Locked thread