Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You can get a free Serial Quiller heart from an overworld chest eventually, same for a few other monster hearts that used to be drop only in the original. Otherwise I think their drop-rate is 1/256 at-best if they didn't change it from the PSX version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What do I do with the monster hearts? I got that Healslime Heart and put it on Ruff, but I got no idea how it works.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Go back to Alltrades, Monster Hearts unlock Monster Classes. They take longer to master usually but the skills stay with you when you change classes unlike the intermediate/advanced classes, so it's the only(?) permanent source of Multi-Heal

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
They have to have raised the odds for heart drops in the tablet dungeons. It's definitely better than 1/256.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Princeps32 posted:

Kiefer is the biggest rear end in a top hat

he abandons his friends, family, and kingdom, and ditches the most unbelievably important quest imaginable of literally rebuilding the world one land mass at a time, instead choosing to zone in on some nomad dancer pussy, then he fucks off and makes you break the bad news to everyone.

Well he succeeded in getting laid so at least he was successful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Moriveth posted:

Boy, I love how much of a hilarious rear end in a top hat Maribel is.

That's not sarcasm either. It's amazing how much of a dick she is to the main character.

Of all the characters I've met so far, she's probably the best:

Still, it's taking ages to get into the meat of this game. I'm beginning to think I picked a bad starting point to the series (and some sources tell me the same), because for now everything has been fetch quests and doing the same thing over and over. Of course, instead of refunding the game I'm gonna ask the thread what the best starting point to the series is instead...

So, thread; what do you consider to be the best starting point in the series? I love JRPGs (I'm the type who inspects every box, jar and crate and talks to every NPC 5 times. I also unironically enjoy backtracking) even if/because it takes ages to complete them. I also love job systems/character customization.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I gave up on DQ7, but I love DQ5. It has a great story with several emotional beats thanks to its engaging characters and it's super well-paced. There's not much in terms of customization, but there's some replay value due to some story choices.

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 24, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably a toss-up between 4 or 5. I'll recommend 5 since it's actually a pretty short one, but the story is amazing. Had me hooked the entire time.

Edit: I know a giant chunk of players were first introduced to the series with 8. I'm thinking that remake is going to sell a lot better than 7 did.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
DQ7 is actually my favourite in the series... I really like the vignette-style storytelling it does, but I can understand it getting old.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Yeah, I really love DQV. A big part of the series to me is how charming the characters/setting are, and that game is charming as hell.

I still haven't played DQ6 or I - III though, so I'm not the most experienced here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If 7's slow start is getting you down, you may find that 3, 5, and 8 are brisker in that regard. These are the ones that I recommend best to everyone. All Dragon Quest games tend to follow a "find a new village, go to the nearby dungeon to resolve their problem, move on, and repeat" structure, but 7 and 9 make that the most explicit. I don't think 7 is the best Dragon Quest, but it is the most Dragon Quest, in that it makes the strongest expressions of the series' distinctive qualities, and also that there is more of it than the others. It is both huge and decompressed.

Here's the overview based on your criteria:

1: A very primitive game more of historical interest than anything else, but not bad.
2: Kind of bad, because it hasn't come into its own yet. No customization to speak of.
3: This is where things start to take off. For party customization, you build a whole party out of generics of various classes. Later you can change their classes, and the mechanics of the change are fairly simple.
4: You may consider it slow to start. You proceed through four chapters where you have access to a different subset of the final party in shorter, self-contained quests, and then they reunite in chapter 5 and the real game starts.
5: The most focused and best-regarded story. For party customization, you can recruit monsters to fight alongside you, a mechanic that was later expanded into a spinoff series. The shortest except for 1 and 2.
6: The introduction of the job system that 7 expands on. Like 7, it takes a while to open up mechanically, but the story doesn't as often lose sight of its goal.
7: Just an incredibly loving huge game.
8: A very character-driven game. Customization is limited to choosing a skill tree for your party members, but it gives you plenty of reason to backtrack. My personal favorite.
9: An entirely new job system that opens up quicker than 6 and 7, and revised combat mechanics that take good advantage of them. Your party is made of generics. Good reasons to backtrack. Proceeds at a fast pace but pads itself with MMO-style collection quests, which may or may not appeal to you.
10: lol

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I felt pretty disappointed in my decision to get this game starting out, but once you get to the meat of it it really picks up a lot. I think the point that I realized I was actively invested in it and not just pushing on to see if it got better was somewhere in the middle of anachronistic medieval robot civil war island. I'm a little past alltrades now, and I'm really enjoying it. The first couple hours suck kinda hard though, but I can excuse that as the game showing its age.

My only real complaint so far is that some of the missions feel like they go on a hair too long, and the fact that they always put a fragment at the bottom of the present-day dungeon you just did kinda feels like mandatory backtracking.

Also gently caress Kiefer. He's a deserter and a homewrecker, and the game still hasn't replaced him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also, in DQ5, several of your party members have unique party chats after talking to basically any NPC at all, unlike 7 which is just every now and then.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Here's the overview based on your criteria:

Absolutely fantastic, I'll see about checking out some of those. Thanks everyone!

I grew up with Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Chrono Trigger, Lufia, etc. but Dragon Quest just wasn't a 'thing' here (also I never had a PlayStation). Are the DS remakes the "go to" versions of the mentioned games?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I bought DQ7 on the midnight of its release and I'm really enjoying it so far! My favorite thing so far (since I still don't have jobs) is that it provides that feeling of power that only Dragon Quest is able to do-- you feel the power that comes with new equipment or a level up. It's hard to put into words but anyone who has played a single Dragon Quest game knows what I'm talking about.

That said, my favorite Dragon Quest, or really my favorite game of all time, is still Dragon Quest 8. I don't even want to know how many hours I put into that game, but I have three whole playthroughs that went enough into the bonus boss to get all the equipment, while alchemizing religiously. It has, hands down, the best party in any RPG. The skill system works better than the job system because it makes every character feel truly unique. And while everyone has their role in the party, they all feel multifaceted, and just changing skill emphasis can completely change the game. It's to the point where I didn't really care that the 3DS version had new characters because I don't think I've ever played a game besides this where every character feels versatile and complete. Also the world map, the graphics, the gameplay, even the story, while admittedly simple, are all perfect.

I'll write some big long autistic effort post about all kinds of cool stuff in the game once we get closer to the 3DS release, but suffice it to say I'm loving hyped.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Computer posted:

Absolutely fantastic, I'll see about checking out some of those. Thanks everyone!

I grew up with Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Chrono Trigger, Lufia, etc. but Dragon Quest just wasn't a 'thing' here (also I never had a PlayStation). Are the DS remakes the "go to" versions of the mentioned games?

The DS versions reduce tedium, and, in the case of IV and V, add substantial new content. For example, V has a whole new bride for you to choose, who is also the best wife.

e: All three games have lightning fast gameplay. So much that I can guarantee any RPG you play after will feel at best sluggish.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 24, 2016

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I just got past what would have been the end of disc 1 on the psx version.

And holy poo poo. There's more?

I've literally rebuilt an entire world island by island and curbstomped satan himself. I feel like the game should be winding down now but there's a whole nother disc worth of stuff?

And I still don't know where to use these goddamn tombola tickets.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, people weren't kidding about how lengthy that Alltrades Abbey sequence was. Still, unlocked my vocations so all's good.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is the 3DS remake of DQ8 going to allow for skill point reallotment? That was my biggest gripe with the original DQ8, the scattering of relatively dead-end talent trees and the inability to commit to something else in the late game unless you wanted to grind skill point boosting item drops from enemies.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hokuto posted:

Is the 3DS remake of DQ8 going to allow for skill point reallotment? That was my biggest gripe with the original DQ8, the scattering of relatively dead-end talent trees and the inability to commit to something else in the late game unless you wanted to grind skill point boosting item drops from enemies.

Afaik, unfortunately no, BUT you can elect to stockpile points.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Just had a dungeon I had to go through 6 times to complete an island in DQ7. Admittedly a shorter one, but I'd be pulling my hair out by this point if they hadn't patched in (mostly) avoidable random encounters. By this point I think the game is just plain terrible; most of the content is pointless repetition like this, with copy & pasted assets (all environments look pretty much the same, not to mention character models besides the excellent monsters) just strung together with poor, 3-line plot strings. Good thing I needed something relatively brainless to just occupy me while I listen to books / podcasts, but I might still just give it up. Ugh.

And now that I'm whining, I read recommendations about the game's soundtrack and I'm not seeing it - most themes sound mournful and make me feel like I'm in a funeral. I personally liked DQ9's cheerful music a ton more.

Before someone says this is the wrong genre for me, I did like DQ9 a lot and probably, maybe end up getting 8 since it seems much more up my alley too. I just can't wrap my head around what people see in 7 at all. :(

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 24, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Your Computer posted:

Still, it's taking ages to get into the meat of this game. I'm beginning to think I picked a bad starting point to the series (and some sources tell me the same), because for now everything has been fetch quests and doing the same thing over and over. Of course, instead of refunding the game I'm gonna ask the thread what the best starting point to the series is instead...

Dragon Warrior 7 on the PSX was my first DW/DQ game back in the day, and I regretted it. It was only years later after I tried some of the earlier games that the series formula "clicked" with me and I was able to go back and enjoy 7.

I think 3 and 8 are good starting points. 8 because its design sensibilities are a little more modern making it easier for a newcomer to get into, and 3 because it's the most archetypal and as long as you understand how old the game is you can appreciate it for its qualities instead of being bothered by its old-school design, though I definitely recommend one of the remakes instead of the original NES version.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm flying around on the magic carpet unable to find Pike and it's making me coocoo bananas. I'll find him though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cloofish posted:

Afaik, unfortunately no, BUT you can elect to stockpile points.

Also I think it outright tells you what you'll get instead of it being a surprise/using a FAQ.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well he succeeded in getting laid so at least he was successful.

We were playing Dragon Quest, but it was clear he was playing Booty Quest instead.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm about 28 hours in and I've just cleared the island with Wetlock in the present. About how far am I from fully unlocking Monster Meadows?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I enjoyed the hell out of 9 but the grindiness is a tad excessive. It's especially bad on some of the more annoying vocation requests and you will forever be poor. It has visible equipment on character models which is a huge plus for me.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In Training posted:

I'm about 28 hours in and I've just cleared the island with Wetlock in the present. About how far am I from fully unlocking Monster Meadows?

You'll have a choice of three islands coming up. The one with "Nottagen" is the one you need to clear for Monster Meadows.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dropbear posted:

Just had a dungeon I had to go through 6 times to complete an island in DQ7. Admittedly a shorter one, but I'd be pulling my hair out by this point if they hadn't patched in (mostly) avoidable random encounters.

I was really happy to finally beat Gracos and go past where I stopped in the old PS1 game, but then I hit this exact point you're talking about. Then there's Huddle. The party chat even complains about how many times they have to trek back and forth between Huddle and the Conjuratorium. When even the game is writing about how annoying it is, you know you have a problem. I found out the puzzle solution to the Conjuratorium only after I left the world, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to get a tablet there because that would mean making the same trek yet again.

Then I got to another world where I had to go through the whole sequence of travelling back and forth in time to that world like 3 extra times because they wouldn't just let me resolve everything in one go. I can appreciate what they were going for with the narrative style of that particular story, but it got really annoying to play.

Overall, I have some mixed opinions about 7 from my playthrough so far.

Pros:
Fast battles
Extremely powerful advanced classes
Good party chat
A unique and interesting twist on a classic RPG plot concept
Cute character and monster models
Not one but three built-in help functions to keep you from getting lost
The most brilliant monster names in anything, ever

Cons:
Heavy accents that make text hard to read, including gratuitous sprinkling of foreign words at unnecessary points
Game basically makes you explore every town, open every drawer, and navigate every dungeon twice
The new non-random encounters can be even more frequent and less avoidable than old random encounters, especially in narrow corridors
Sometimes all three help functions don't give any clear indication of how to advance the plot
There is a whole lot of repetitive gameplay even in the self-contained story areas, as mentioned above
Party members arbitrarily leave, just like in the original (this wouldn't be so bad if not for the investment in the job system)

It's a decent game and I intend to finish it, but I don't think I can recommend this game the way I do other DQs.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 24, 2016

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Hokuto posted:

I was really happy to finally beat Gracos and go past where I stopped in the old PS1 game, but then I hit this exact point you're talking about. Then there's Huddle. The party chat even complains about how many times they have to trek back and forth between Huddle and the Conjuratorium. When even the game is writing about how annoying it is, you know you have a problem. I found out the puzzle solution to the Conjuratorium only after I left the world, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to get a tablet there because that would mean making the same trek yet again.

That's not even the same place I meant - the game is just full of this. I meant the town with the goddess statue. First you need to go to a mountain through a dungeon, see a guy get the statue, and go back through the dungeon again. Then you see the guy smash the statue, and go through the dungeon to the church. After getting locked in the church, you go through the dungeon to the town... again.. to pick up the statue pieces. With them, you return to the church, through the same goddamned dungeon AGAIN to remake the statue. After all that, you need return.. through the same dungeon.

I don't think the game would even be that long if all the useless repetition & menu lag etc. were removed.

EDIT: Misread your post, but yeah, Huddle was another one where you needed to run back & forth but at least there wasn't a cave full of chokepoints & enemies spawning on top of you on the way.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Your Computer posted:

Of all the characters I've met so far, she's probably the best:

TBH her PS1 cover art was better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Mobile versions except for 8 are probably the best overall if you can stand touch controls. 5 and 6 on mobile and DS are identical; 4 on DS lacks party chat but it is present on mobile.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
DQ7 is designed to be played in small chunks over a longer period of time, really. It's like several DQ games in one. You can rush it, but for most people it definitely causes the complaints in this thread because minor annoyances grow into huge grievances when you cram an episodic, "now do it again" game like DQ7 into a shorter period of time than intended--days instead of months. This is why people are recommending shorter games as a first introduction for everybody playing super fast.

My main complaint is probably the party member thing, really. They should have changed that for the remake by altering the islands/quests required to be way earlier than 40+ hours in, though at least party chat is very helpful about pointing you toward them now so they're not quite as "what do you mean I could have recruited new people that long ago" as the original. And at least as an adult they don't join too far behind the others--they were the same level as Ruff--since I knew their situation and didn't do any grinding. If you did grind though it's just bad all around since they'd be well behind in both levels and vocation mastery.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Decus posted:

DQ7 is designed to be played in small chunks over a longer period of time, really.

Not really; it's just plain badly designed. Things I look for in games to play in small chunks do not include repeating the same dungeon 6 times in a row or walking back and forth talking to 20 faceless NPCs in the vain hope that the game would let me play further.

If anything, this structure is preventing me from playing it in small chunks; I think "I have 15 minutes, I might as well play some DQ" but then I remember that I'm in some town looking forward to 30 minutes of looking at cutscenes with copypasted models until I can actually play and go "nah, I'll play something else instead".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are no cutscenes that brake 5 so you are exaggerating a bit.

I agree honestly that DQ7 is designed well for hand helds.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

insanityv2 posted:

And I still don't know where to use these goddamn tombola tickets.

Tent in Haven after you build it up enough.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are no cutscenes that brake 5 so you are exaggerating a bit.

Yeah, cutscene was the wrong term really. I mean the parts where you just wander around the towns talking to everyone, hoping to trigger & watch the animations that let you continue. Those at least feel like they're taking forever, and feel like a chore I don't want to return to when I have limited time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

insanityv2 posted:

I've literally rebuilt an entire world island by island and curbstomped satan himself. I feel like the game should be winding down now but there's a whole nother disc worth of stuff?
I am looking forward to seeing you post as the plot advances. Because I really enjoyed the plot at the exact point you're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You said not to say this earlier but I don't think this series is for you if you view talking to NPCs as a chore. It's kind of the primary means of exposition and you're meant to want to talk to everybody not to find the one trigger to advance and get this over and done with but to gleam the story of the area before, during and after your arrival. Complaining about copy-pasted models is another thing that's kind of at-odds with the series--it's like the menus where you're either charmed by them or absolutely hate them.

The back-tracking can be more of an annoyance due to the symbol encounters and holy water/similar effects wanting you to be over-leveled for them to work but that's also the sort of annoyance that isn't there as heavily when you're not playing 50+ hours in the span of a few days. Did you spend 70% of the last few days playing DQ7?