Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
what did you do to kill that dog you murderer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

what did you do to kill that dog you murderer

I legit checked to see he was breathing, he was passed the gently caress out. Prob just ate a huge meal and not his first, based on his giant gut.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
More doggo pics please.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats all I got, sadly. I would go back to the yard to take more but it was in THE poo poo. Deep Detroit. Real deep. But the wheels were $200 with TPMS so worth it.

Speaking of winter setups, I just ordered tires from tire rack, General Altimax 185/60/15's. Set was 313 shipped, with 100 bux of prepaid visa cards on top. So my whole setup, with 80 bux or so for mounting and balancing, should be about $500. Not too shabby, now I need to order some flaps.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Rhyno posted:

More doggo pics please.

Hot Hutch Discussion Thread

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Hi friends, I bought my first new (like, actually new, not just new to me) car yesterday, can I play?

I'm so happy about the car and so not-happy about being stuck at work not driving it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Congrats, and welcome to the ST club (not actually a club).

Looks like they've changed the wheel design from '14.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Eleeleth posted:

Hi friends, I bought my first new (like, actually new, not just new to me) car yesterday, can I play?

I'm so happy about the car and so not-happy about being stuck at work not driving it.

Kreiger Ford in Columbus? That's where I bought my FiST in '14 and had a great experience, they were also one of the extremely few lots to have one. My salesperson didn't gaf and said 'here's the keys, if you like it come find me and we can figure up something'.

Much better than Ricart, that lied getting me into the place (FiST listed as 'in stock' on the website, they had none bc "the shipment just hasn't came in yet"). They then belittled me for not buying the FoST they had ..."Well if you can't afford a sporty car, maybe you would be interested in the base model Fiesta we have over here..."
No, motherfucker, I want to see the FiST you advertised as in stock. Then they said if I really wanted one, they can get it if I put a non-refundable deposit down.. I left at that point, after having wasted more than an hour

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 21, 2016

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Welp. 3k miles after installing the JB1 on my R and I've got clutch slip in 5th. Started researching which one to get when I first installed the JB1 and didn't find any clear winners, with clutches being rather subjective. Oh well, time to pull the trigger on something.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

Kreiger Ford in Columbus? That's where I bought my FiST in '14 and had a great experience, they were also one of the extremely few lots to have one. My salesperson didn't gaf and said 'here's the keys, if you like it come find me and we can figure up something'.

Much better than Ricart, that lied getting me into the place (FiST listed as 'in stock' on the website, they had none bc "the shipment just hasn't came in yet"). They then belittled me for not buying the FoST they had ..."Well if you can't afford a sporty car, maybe you would be interested in the base model Fiesta we have over here..."
No, motherfucker, I want to see the FiST you advertised as in stock. Then they said if I really wanted one, they can get it if I put a non-refundable deposit down.. I left at that point, after having wasted more than an hour

Yup, Krieger Ford on Morse. It was a fantastic buying experience, in and out with the car in 2 hours w/ a 0% loan I didn't expect to get. I only interacted w/ a Ricart person online via emails, but they were pushy enough to immediately turn me off of even trying to go there in person.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats all I got, sadly. I would go back to the yard to take more but it was in THE poo poo. Deep Detroit. Real deep. But the wheels were $200 with TPMS so worth it.

Ryan's Pick A Part? I love that place despite it being in a lovely area. I haven't had much luck finding wheels there though, they're always strewn about.

If it wasn't there, where'd you go? I've been looking for some volvo wheels.

Edit: Holy crap parts galore looks like they have a nice inventory and keep stuff around longer than Ryan's.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 21, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

joe944 posted:

Welp. 3k miles after installing the JB1 on my R and I've got clutch slip in 5th. Started researching which one to get when I first installed the JB1 and didn't find any clear winners, with clutches being rather subjective. Oh well, time to pull the trigger on something.
drat, that sucks. How many miles total did you have on it? Also, is the tranny/clutch the same between the R and the GTI?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

drat, that sucks. How many miles total did you have on it? Also, is the tranny/clutch the same between the R and the GTI?

Word is yes the clutch is the same. I'm at 6500 miles stock and my clutch is fine on my R and I use the clutch quite a bit due to my *previous* commute.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Having an analog boost gauge with my jb1 helps me remember to watch my foot at low rpm, esp at high gear.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got 20k on my GTI with a JB1 and DP, including pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it. I really think the keys to making the clutch last are removing the clutch delay valve, removing the clutch pedal spring, and not getting into the power until the clutch is fully out on the 1-2 shift. These cars don't like being manhandled in first, don't do it. The first and third things I listed are very, very important, if you don't both of them you will lose the stock clutch in a couple thousand miles.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 22, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I caught up with a newish GTI on a backroad today and while I may not much care for VWs they really perfected the hot hatch look. Just a great looking car.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Eleeleth posted:

Yup, Krieger Ford on Morse. It was a fantastic buying experience, in and out with the car in 2 hours w/ a 0% loan I didn't expect to get. I only interacted w/ a Ricart person online via emails, but they were pushy enough to immediately turn me off of even trying to go there in person.

Same. My salesperson just didn't gaf. I doubt he stills works as a salesman, but he got my business.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've got 20k on my GTI with a JB1 and DP, including pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it. I really think the keys to making the clutch last are removing the clutch delay valve, removing the clutch pedal spring, and not getting into the power until the clutch is fully out on the 1-2 shift. These cars don't like being manhandled in first, don't do it. The first and third things I listed are very, very important, if you don't both of them you will lose the stock clutch in a couple thousand miles.

I never did remove the clutch delay valve and coupled with my aggressive driving style I'm sure it was only a matter of time. I don't commute so most of my driving is back roads, having fun, and road trips. I think I'll replace it with the ECS unit when the new clutch goes in.

Leaning towards the stage 2/3 BFI kit since mine is slipping and the cost of replacing the dmfw is quite a bit more than a smfw. Rather not take a chance that it can be re-purposed, plus I'd prefer more feedback in the pedal.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Got my first revision tune for my Veloster Turbo. Thing moves now! Feels like my 350z hr in acceleration. Curious what it is doing now on the dyno from the 193whp with a few bolt ons. Try and get that done next weekend.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Eleeleth posted:

Just joined the FoST club myself as well! Brand new, Magnetic ST3 with the Moonroof. Was having quite a hard time finding a ST3 without the upgraded wheels that you have(not a fan of them) but I finally found one an hour about an hour away and drove up there yesterday and drove it home. First new car to me as well, seeing 11miles on a car as I got in to drive it home felt really weird.

Heres a few images of it on the lot, haven't taken any of it at home yet.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 23, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

100% Dundee posted:

Just joined the FoST club myself as well! Brand new, Magnetic ST3 with the Moonroof. Was having quite a hard time finding a ST3 without the upgraded wheels that you have(not a fan of them) but I finally found one an hour about an hour away and drove up there yesterday and drove it home. First new car to me as well, seeing 11miles on a car as I got in to drive it home felt really weird.

Heres a few images of it on the lot, haven't taken any of it at home yet.

Very nice. I specifically avoided getting an ST3 as I didn't want to pay for Nav, and I didn't want a sunroof which most of them seemed to have. Mine is an ST2 and I'm perfectly happy with it. I do love that color though. It was my first choice but none were available anywhere in the state at the time, so I got a Silver one.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

Was having quite a hard time finding a ST3 without the upgraded wheels that you have(not a fan of them)

Ha, I actually didn't like them either, but after seeing them in person and all the STs around here having them they've grown on me. I figured worst case scenario I have some pretty winter tire wheels, but I think I'll keep em for a bit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I wish my R had a sunroof :(

Running windows down just doesn't work without the sunroof vacuum.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Eleeleth posted:

Ha, I actually didn't like them either, but after seeing them in person and all the STs around here having them they've grown on me. I figured worst case scenario I have some pretty winter tire wheels, but I think I'll keep em for a bit.

Agree 100%. Looking at them online I was a hard no, once I saw a few on the dealership lots in various colors they grew on me a bit to where I almost said "gently caress it" and bought one that had them so I could stop driving around/looking all over the state. They look a ton better in person than in pictures.

The Locator posted:

Very nice. I specifically avoided getting an ST3 as I didn't want to pay for Nav, and I didn't want a sunroof which most of them seemed to have. Mine is an ST2 and I'm perfectly happy with it. I do love that color though. It was my first choice but none were available anywhere in the state at the time, so I got a Silver one.

Was also in the same boat as you kind of, but all of the ST2's that I was finding also had the Nav and the wheels so they were literally the same price. Had my mind set up that if I found a ST2 without Nav/Wheels in Magnetic, I was going to get it(moonroof or not). Ended up finding a ST3 without the wheels and since the Nav is baked into the package price it was more or less the same price as the fully optioned ST2's that I was checking out. The ambient lighting thing is the more fun than I thought it would be.

Is the silver even offered on 2016 ST's or is yours a previous year? I didn't see a single one in the standard silver.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 23, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mine is 2014. I think the 'magnetic' was actually slightly different color with a different name in '14, or maybe I was considering ordering a '15. Not 100% sure to be honest. I got mine very close to the end of the year (Christmas Eve pickup) so it could have been either.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Magnetic is such a sexy color. I think it suits the FoST so well.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I almost bought a magnetic 16 fist but platinum white tri coat won my heart.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

Magnetic is such a sexy color. I think it suits the FoST so well.

Honestly the FoST is a car where every color it comes in suits the car really well.

Kona Blue is the best though.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Focus club; I am in you.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

DirtyFalcon posted:

Focus club; I am in you.

Congrats on the RS! Please drift mode responsibly.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DirtyFalcon posted:

Focus club; I am in you.

Sweet ride dude! :hfive:

The RS is super sweet

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

On the FiST , and probably most other Fords, can you replace JUST the mirror glass in a side mirror, or do you need to replace the whole assembly?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DirtyFalcon posted:

Focus club; I am in you.

god it looks so good in white

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dr.Caligari posted:

On the FiST , and probably most other Fords, can you replace JUST the mirror glass in a side mirror, or do you need to replace the whole assembly?

They probably work the same way as most other cars in that you can heat gun the glass out of the holder.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

DirtyFalcon posted:

Focus club; I am in you.

They certainly do look really good in white (and especially quite unassuming as well...which is very good IMO), in fact I'd likely choose that over the Nitrous Blue that everybody seems to go for. Plus it would be a good homage to the RS and Cosworth Fords from the 80-90s that were kept from us while we had 5.0 Mustangs tossed at us plus maybe the occasion turbocharged wonder like the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (also SVO or XR4Ti) or some unexpected skunkworks breakout like the original Taurus SHO.

I hope you enjoy it and end up keeping it for long time!

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 24, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Those of you with FiSTs, how are the interiors holding up? Any rattles?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

And just a few more pics with the new shoes and some inlays for the RS emblems. I'll quit posting now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Looks incredible man! Enjoy it!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

joe944 posted:

I never did remove the clutch delay valve and coupled with my aggressive driving style I'm sure it was only a matter of time. I don't commute so most of my driving is back roads, having fun, and road trips. I think I'll replace it with the ECS unit when the new clutch goes in.

Leaning towards the stage 2/3 BFI kit since mine is slipping and the cost of replacing the dmfw is quite a bit more than a smfw. Rather not take a chance that it can be re-purposed, plus I'd prefer more feedback in the pedal.

There is really no reason to get the ECS unit. Taking out the delay valve is super simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The guy I work with that had one for like a month had a white one and it really is so gorgeous. I want to like the blue more but it looks so good in white. He's back in a Fiesta ST until the Type R comes out.