Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

McGavin posted:

Do you know if there is there anything specific causing the crashes so I can avoid doing it?

Nope, and the cool thing is it crashes in a cool new way which breaks our error logs :toot:

Shouldn't be super-common at this point, but one of our overnight games still crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Welp. Thanks for letting me know.

Have fun fixing that... :sweatdrop:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can't declare war or hand out titles because the dude who just inherited the empire is somehow also the head of the Immortal revolt (Holy Order not Highlander) despite the immortals being at peace and I can't destroy it because it's special.

Apperently this is a known issue with no fix which means that this ironman game is over. Unless this bug is fixed sometime in the future.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 24, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Welp, I did it. Charlemagne start to 1453 on a single character.

Think I'm gonna take a break for a while.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This post-Roman mod has Root West

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

What's that?

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Skellybones posted:

What's that?

The ethnic religious practices of the Tangut/Western Xia, a now-extinct people who once had a kingdom in the Gansu Corridor. I am not sure why Top Hats Monthly is so concerned about their presence.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Sin of Onan posted:

The ethnic religious practices of the Tangut/Western Xia, a now-extinct people who once had a kingdom in the Gansu Corridor. I am not sure why Top Hats Monthly is so concerned about their presence.
Sounds like it's pretty obscure.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Looks like they had a major kingdom in China but the Mongols went full omnicide at them so there's not terribly much to study.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Isn't having an in-game religion called "Root West" like having a culture named "Western Linear Pottery"?

It's a purely academic term that stands out like a sore.

Sure, "West African" is pretty bad as well, but wait no that's garbage too.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't get over how obscure Root West is; I can only find a single pdf about it via Google Scholar, and the WtWSMS Github is the third top result when googling it normally.

The Github page links to the pdf.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

If they're that obscure they should at least be consistent and give them some wildly disproportionate representation. Give them a few dozen densely packed mountain counties that spew out gold or something. They can meet the Garamantes in the middle of the map and it would make for an interesting endgame.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

My immortal, lunatic, multiple amputee, mangled emperor got a prosthetic leg that gave him the confidence to ask a girl to dance, and they fell in love :3: Not sure what that'll do, exactly, but dude's had a lonely few centuries, so good for him.

Eventually you can just import into the as-of-yet unnancounced 40k Imperium manager game I guess.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
As if the Emperor would ever talk to a girl :rolleyes:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

It would be really nice if a character's window let you optionally type in notes, maybe in a second tab or pop-out screen. Stuff like reminders about what you plan to do with that character in a few years. Otherwise I've gotta write it down somewhere outside of the game or just try not to forget. Sometimes I'll have plans like "wait till this guy has his first child, then ____" and it'd be great if I could put that somewhere in-game. I don't suppose there's a feature or mod I've overlooked for that?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
When is ____ ever not "Kill them"?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I think it was kill them in this case. I was looking at a few "title might pass out of realm" warnings and made plans for how to keep a few that required several things to happen in a specific order, hence the need to keep notes.

Edit: I've never bothered using tributaries since they were added to the game. What's an example of when making one might be worthwhile? Territory that's easy to conquer but hard to defend?

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 24, 2016

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Parallax Scroll posted:

I think it was kill them in this case. I was looking at a few "title might pass out of realm" warnings and made plans for how to keep a few that required several things to happen in a specific order, hence the need to keep notes.

Edit: I've never bothered using tributaries since they were added to the game. What's an example of when making one might be worthwhile? Territory that's easy to conquer but hard to defend?

Mostly meant for hordes I think. I do it when there's land somewhere I don't want my vassals to take but I don't have the room for myself until later.

Mongols showed up in the 900s in my Greater Armenia game, I've driven off two of their 50k stacks somehow (abusing mountain terrain with my mountain/defender 23 martial king), I'm at 50%+ warscore but they still won't accept a white peace. Down to 5k men versus their 30k left according to Temujin's kid's character page, I'm probably screwed. Luckily it's just a tributary war so maybe I won't get game over if I surrender. Man they really gave the mongols back their kick huh, first time I've played someone in their path since before horse lords probably.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've been trying to use them to cement an advantage over a strong foe who's temporarily weak but too big for me to slice a meaningful chunk off - for example, if East Francia's in a real vulnerable position but I can only peel a single county off them, I'd rather take a big chunk of their income and pour it into building an advantage over them. In theory, anyway. Literally every time I try to tributary someone, they pull extra troops out of nowhere, all my other neighbors declare war on me, I get a peasant revolt the size of my entire army, vikings pillage the heck out of my territory and drain my treasury, and my allies do fuckall. :psyduck:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It's also good for inland tribals who can't just go a-viking. They get prestige for winning the war and tribute from a non-tribal can easily be more than their entire income.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Parallax Scroll posted:

Honestly I just do it anytime I need more people/gold on my side for other wars, but don't want the increased threat. Like in a previous game, I'm marching to become King of Finland, so I'll smack around a couple Lithuanian and Russian tribes and tell them they're my allies now. This is doubly good for tribals, since it gets me more people to fight my wars, 200 prestige towards a tribal army, and +20 vassal opinion. It's also pretty good for breaking up religious alliances and defensive pacts; if I try waging holy war against one of the Spanish emirates, all of them will dogpile me, but if I make one or two of them my tributaries, they'll fight with me against their coreligionists. You're about to point out that you could just conquer those Lithuanian tribes and Spanish emirates, and for a lot of places you can, but for the others, I like tributaries.

ETA: Also, tying to the East Francia example, a near-peer who's giving you half of their income and fighting your wars for you will be substantially weaker when the time comes for your successor to start walking all over them.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 24, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

If they're that obscure they should at least be consistent and give them some wildly disproportionate representation. Give them a few dozen densely packed mountain counties that spew out gold or something. They can meet the Garamantes in the middle of the map and it would make for an interesting endgame.
I still can't believe they went so overboard with Garamantine North Africa. The actual city of Garama itself was something like all of 0.12 km^2 (eyeballing a map of the site), and that was supposed to be the Garamantine capital. It was sparsely populated as gently caress and if any place actually merited the use of oasis-and-path province design like some of the fancy map mods use, it was the land of the Garamantes.

But nooo, gotta spam a bajillion little provinces so that even after allegedly nerfing them they can still field as many men as all of Italy under the WRE.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ofaloaf posted:

I still can't believe they went so overboard with Garamantine North Africa. The actual city of Garama itself was something like all of 0.12 km^2 (eyeballing a map of the site), and that was supposed to be the Garamantine capital. It was sparsely populated as gently caress and if any place actually merited the use of oasis-and-path province design like some of the fancy map mods use, it was the land of the Garamantes.

But nooo, gotta spam a bajillion little provinces so that even after allegedly nerfing them they can still field as many men as all of Italy under the WRE.

It's such an utterly bizarre thing to treat that way, too. I can totally understand some dude making Serbia overpowered because he's a nationalist or a Carthage fanboy like me giving them enormous potential. But the Garamantines? How many of us had even heard of them before this mod put them front and center? And yeah as you say they could have been an interesting little country with a network of oasis cities that has potential, with work, to be a modest power there or at least gain the strength to push north towards the coast. But instead they're the equivalent of a unified western european country.

Then again, the mod isn't called When The World Made Coherent Sense :v:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

darthbob88 posted:

You're about to point out that you could just conquer those Lithuanian tribes and Spanish emirates, and for a lot of places you can, but for the others, I like tributaries.

Best thing about tributising someone is that it doesn't count towards threat and they can't join defensive pacts against you.
Tributise your most troublesome neighbours and devour the rest.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Thanks for the responses. I own most of Spain in the late 1200s and could holy war my way into Morocco, but that land would be more of a pain to defend if I get jihaded again. I'd lose the ability to use the Strait of Gibraltar as a choke point if I already own part of North Africa. I'm thinking the sultanate down there might make a good tributary target.

I might just take em eventually but holding onto that land isn't really a priority right now.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 24, 2016

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Wait for the inevitable crusade against morocco, then give it to some sap of a family member to get an eternal ally and blocker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone got any advice on how to invade a nomadic country? Holding territory beyond the one fort needed to stop them getting "hold all territory" warscore seems useless, but you don't get enough score from battles to complete things decisively.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Jedit posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to invade a nomadic country?

Don't.

No seriously, just don't.

Wait until they settle.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to invade a nomadic country? Holding territory beyond the one fort needed to stop them getting "hold all territory" warscore seems useless, but you don't get enough score from battles to complete things decisively.

Occupy their capital, that should get you enough war score that battles should do the rest.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Parallax Scroll posted:

It would be really nice if a character's window let you optionally type in notes, maybe in a second tab or pop-out screen. Stuff like reminders about what you plan to do with that character in a few years. Otherwise I've gotta write it down somewhere outside of the game or just try not to forget. Sometimes I'll have plans like "wait till this guy has his first child, then ____" and it'd be great if I could put that somewhere in-game. I don't suppose there's a feature or mod I've overlooked for that?
I'd just like to note what an amazing idea this is. Thank you for your time everyone.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

So, I accidentally turned Charlemagne immortal in my first game since the new expansion.

Am I invulnerable to disease or is it just old age?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
So how does Great Pox spread exactly? An unmarried ruler with the Rulership focus and a lover on the side got that yesterday, while his lover did not show any symptoms before or after. Now, today, I see an eunuch character granted by an event to have contracted Great Pox as well.

Also, noticed two kids, 4 and 7, dying of depression today. I know mid 800s Lithuania cannot the most cheerful place, but still.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are vikings getting scurvy after a week at sea working as intended?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Never mind turns out subjugation means "strip your empire title and make you our vassal", go to hell mongols!!!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

Wait for the inevitable crusade against morocco, then give it to some sap of a family member to get an eternal ally and blocker.

Not a bad idea. Although I do like having the option of endless holy wars as an easy way to get more titles whenever I need to land some people.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

So, I accidentally turned Charlemagne immortal in my first game since the new expansion.

Am I invulnerable to disease or is it just old age?

nevermind. he fell off his horse and died

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

Not a bad idea. Although I do like having the option of endless holy wars as an easy way to get more titles whenever I need to land some people.

That's what the Holy Land is for. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeaTard posted:

Occupy their capital, that should get you enough war score that battles should do the rest.

Nope, occupying the capital gave me less than 1%. And of course I'm capped at 75% warscore for battles as the attacker.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

It's such an utterly bizarre thing to treat that way, too. I can totally understand some dude making Serbia overpowered because he's a nationalist or a Carthage fanboy like me giving them enormous potential. But the Garamantines? How many of us had even heard of them before this mod put them front and center? And yeah as you say they could have been an interesting little country with a network of oasis cities that has potential, with work, to be a modest power there or at least gain the strength to push north towards the coast. But instead they're the equivalent of a unified western european country.

Then again, the mod isn't called When The World Made Coherent Sense :v:

Could even have the region start with a bonus modifier that makes it richer than normal, then when the water runs out a hundred years in oops you're in a standard desert shithole now.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Skellybones posted:

Could even have the region start with a bonus modifier that makes it richer than normal, then when the water runs out a hundred years in oops you're in a standard desert shithole now.

I think it would be better as a small number of large counties that start with lots of holdings, then events to remove the holdings and eventually the holding slots themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Dareon posted:

If you can't survive the occasional ruler being an insane cannibal that eats everyone he disagrees with, your dynasty is insufficiently robust.

Maybe, but I will say that, as the Samrat of half of India, 10 of my last 12 rulers were lunatics. The rest died too soon to gain the trait, apparently.

• Locked thread