Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wanted the episode to maybe go like 10 seconds longer just to get the guys' reaction to the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
What was the explanation for why the bubbles were still there after June dropped the chalice at the end of the previous episode?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Practical Demon posted:

I normally don't care to make theories about stories, but after that episode I've got a good one, so here goes:

Magnus was apparently at this town before in one of the red robes, and the red robe knew them and expected them to trust it. All three of them have died many times before, and they all have staticky parts of their lives. I think the static of their lives is a time when they were all members of the red robes. I think that organization was meant to protect the artifacts by hiding them away, and may have even created them by splitting up that god-like being they talked to in the chalice. They died many times and came back probably using the chalice at some point. And somehow their time there was erased from their minds, maybe by the Void Fish or a separate one, which could explain Magnus' connection to the Bureau one. I think the Bureau, or at least the Director, will end up being the villain the red robes were fighting who is actually gathering the relics to revive the being inside them. And the end of the campaign will likely be fighting the Director possessed by that fully reformed being.

Having the good guys be baddies all along, whether due to actively deceiving the heroes or due to their noble quest having unforeseen consequences/being what the bad guys wanted all along, is like the most cliche thing ever and is overused to the point where it's even less imaginative and interesting than just having it be a straightforward tale of good fighting evil and winning in a fun and interesting way.

Not spoiled because speculation is not and never has been a spoiler.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A Long Way Down posted:

This may be my favourite part of the whole arc

I was seriously giggling over it for like 15 minutes

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Adventure Zone is my actual favorite podcast, and I think this is genuinely the best episode yet. It had humor, emotion, action, and it wrapped this whole arc up in a nice bow while at the same time contributing to the overarching plot.

showbiz_liz posted:

What was the explanation for why the bubbles were still there after June dropped the chalice at the end of the previous episode?

You can't get rid of them without the Temporal Chalice or the Chance Lance. (btw, the Chance Lance totally should have been called the Hand of Fate.) The big one surrounding the whole town should have popped, but Istus kept it closed so that she could isolate the town and speed it through all the years it missed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The kids making the clay figures was seriously such an awesome concept that made perfect sense all around

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/deliciousbees/status/779016565190561792

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I was listening to the episode with the car horns bit earlier today!!!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Guy Mann posted:

Having the good guys be baddies all along, whether due to actively deceiving the heroes or due to their noble quest having unforeseen consequences/being what the bad guys wanted all along, is like the most cliche thing ever and is overused to the point where it's even less imaginative and interesting than just having it be a straightforward tale of good fighting evil and winning in a fun and interesting way.

Not spoiled because speculation is not and never has been a spoiler.

Only spoiled it because the episode had just come out. And I'm not saying it isn't cliche and a little disappointing, but that's what the latest information makes me think is coming. If it turns out more complex than that, or if I'm totally wrong, I'll be happy. Honestly I'll be happy either way, because I just enjoy the guys creating the story together.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
OK, so, I was super distracted during the scene with Refuge catching up time while they watched because the music that was behind it was the same music used for every Reverend Leroy Jenkins bit on Superego. I just kept waiting for Leroy Jenkins to stop in and offer to bless Taako's business.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I see this and raise you

https://twitter.com/grancheater/status/779077698131984384

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The "Great Job!" bit might not be the funniest one they ever did, but it's probably the one that's had the most impact on the world.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It was undermined somewhat by the fact that the Great Job! horn would last maybe 30 minutes before it turned into the GREAT JOB:downsbravo: horn

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The solution is obvious: A sincere Great Job horn, and a sarcastic Great Job horn, and what the gently caress has happened to my steering wheel

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I'm only three episodes into the Adventure Zone and I'm not 100% feeling it but I know it gets a lot better. Is there a recommended starting point if I don't want to work my way through the early part of them playing mostly from that playtest packet?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

It's time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL69wdAt6fk

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I'm only three episodes into the Adventure Zone and I'm not 100% feeling it but I know it gets a lot better. Is there a recommended starting point if I don't want to work my way through the early part of them playing mostly from that playtest packet?

In the early going they're still struggling a bit with playing their characters/playing D&D but it picks up pretty quickly. When they come to the boss of the first adenture I think you'll probably know if you are onboard or not.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It shouldn't last much longer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Listening to episode 4 now and I've a very nice Drow man who seems to be very friendly.

I'm pretty sure this is what you meant by boss and if it stays this good then yeah I'm on board.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

I just started too (I'm in the middle of the Crystal Kingdom arc, I've been listening to like, an average of 5 episodes a day since Saturday) and I'm going to say that Here There Be Gerblins is a little rough. Like Sushi said, they're still figuring a lot of things out. Part 4 has some great moments, but you could probably easily skip to Moonlighting without losing too much, and that's where things really start to pick up. Some characters do get referenced in the future though!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Listening to episode 4 now and I've a very nice Drow man who seems to be very friendly.

I'm pretty sure this is what you meant by boss and if it stays this good then yeah I'm on board.

It gets so much better.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
How the hell did it take me until the last episode to realize that The Eleventh Hour is one big extended riff on Tremors?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.gog.com/game/spore_collection

For all your Ja'am needs.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Magic Brian is still one of the absolute highlights of TAZ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeeman posted:

I've had now multiple D&D encounters end with 'you've solved my riddle, I'm so proud' thanks to that bit

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Zeeman posted:

I listened to that segment about five times in a row and still couldn't breathe from laughing

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

X-Ray Pecs posted:

How the hell did it take me until the last episode to realize that The Eleventh Hour is one big extended riff on Tremors?

if only it ended with, "and the worm soared off a cliff, slamming into the ground like a bean and cheese burrito dropped off a skyscraper"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Now that you're done with Magic Brian I can post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O95acXiwt4k
The reveal of fake gundren reveal and spooge tunnel convinced me this show was great

Carey Pietsch is one of the folks running the adventure zone art zine project and IMO her versions of the characters are the ones I imagine when listening to show the show

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I asked Travis on Twitter which fanart version of Magnus was closest to what was in his head and he totally said Carey's.

(Also I met her at the Boston show and she is very sweet and cool)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, her art's fantastic - check it out over here: http://careydraws.tumblr.com/

She's done a bunch of fanart for Friends at the Table too and I really need to get around to listening to more of that

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm a big dumb dumb and phone-donated without selecting a donation level for the Adventure Zine. So now I've double donated to get the book. Since I'm luckily in a stable financial situation and the cause is really great, I'll chalk the extra donation up to a critical reading fee.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There's an email they send out every so often for people in your situation. It has a form you can fill with your info so they can send you the stuff. It's too late for you, so consider this a PSA.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Carey Pietsch is one of the folks running the adventure zone art zine project and IMO her versions of the characters are the ones I imagine when listening to show the show

Yes agreed

Carey is a cool person who makes good art and also the Animorphs podcast she's on is pretty fun!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Found on Tumblr with no comment given or needed.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The guy who does these videos is ludicrously talented
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVIEpDt1GAo

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Am I just noticing it now or was Travis suffering from a bad case of hamvoice this ep?

Edit: those Honey I Shrunk the kids synopses were wonderful

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 27, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Edit: those Honey I Shrunk the kids synopses were wonderful

I'm really glad that show wasn't just some weird fever dream I had as a kid.

One episode was them building a Johnny Cab from Total Recall and it trying to kill their daughter by driving off a cliff. He had a rivalry with a Bill Nye stand-in named Randy Rude the Science Dude, and one episode was just a giant McDonald's commercial where they were shrunk inside one and were using ice cubes to skate across hot griddles and getting trapped in Happy Meals. Also ghosts were real and they had gunfights with ghost guns that living people couldn't see or hear, and at one point they made all urban legends become real and were running from cactuses full of spiders and poodles in microwaves.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I might need to dig this show up because WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Guys

Did they just do that rollercoaster question a second time?