Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

As the budget and scope of the game grew, one source opined that CryEngine made less and less sense as the basis of the game. “[Star Citizen’s] original remit was $500,000 to create a nostalgic, spiritual successor to Wing Commander in CryEngine. That's a perfectly reasonable remit. Then more money started coming in and Chris Roberts started to make promises to the press that he'd not discussed with the development team.

I really miss 10 for the chairman feature creep

still doesn't explain the lack of S42 progress since that has had 0 feature creep. In fact they actually removed the drop in drop out co-op aspect so :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Titanic posted:

I've been a waitress for many years getting by and through school.

I've seen lots of people fired from lots of places, and never one like this. Even in those non-chain family owned businesses.

Sometimes I feel like a lot of the Citizens have never had a job, a good boss or a bad boss. They've never seen what it means to be a good employee where there is motivation on a personal and professional level to be the best you can be.

They don't know how soul crushing a bad job can be.

Especially if CIG is hiring fresh college grads. I can't imagine being given the work CIG demands with the under your breath caveat of ".. If you ever want to continue work in this industry ever again..."

After reading about how Roberts handles people, I have no doubt his staff gets these threats. I'm willing to bet his wife dishes them out left and right, and she's not even qualified to review their work much less administrate them in a professional manner.

No joke. There's no amount of passion, skill and hard work that a bad boss can't ruin.

The ideal employee is one that needs no management at all because they already know exactly what to do. Trusting your people and allowing them to feel responsibility and ownership is so important, especially with a creative endeavour like a game.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Lazrin posted:

you are

it's known as throwaway prototyping, which is exactly what chris did with the seed funding. for demo and proof of concept purposes only.

development didn't start until late 2012, if you can even say that.

Lazrin posted:

that's exactly what chris did. he didn't commit to making any kind of project out of what he was shopping to investors... that was the point of the prototype, to attract commitment of funds... not be the base for the game tech.

so you'd definitely agree velocity has greatly improved over the last year or so, right?
I think I am agreeing with you!! Star Marine is going to be amazing. We will, maybe, see Star Marine before the end of the year? When did Chris announce Star Marine? Gamescom? CIG is just a development juggernaut!! Cranking out Star Marine in less than six months. After all, those Star Marine announcements before Gamecom was just a "prototype" used to "attract commitment of funds", huh?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really miss 10 for the chairman feature creep

still doesn't explain the lack of S42 progress since that has had 0 feature creep. In fact they actually removed the drop in drop out co-op aspect so :laugh:

If you actually believe S42 has had 0 feature creep, I have some spaceship jpgs to sell you.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tokamak posted:

I wonder who's alt account this is:

:staredog:

:iiam:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

I've been a waitress for many years getting by and through school.

I've seen lots of people fired from lots of places, and never one like this. Even in those non-chain family owned businesses.

Sometimes I feel like a lot of the Citizens have never had a job, a good boss or a bad boss. They've never seen what it means to be a good employee where there is motivation on a personal and professional level to be the best you can be.

They don't know how soul crushing a bad job can be.

Especially if CIG is hiring fresh college grads. I can't imagine being given the work CIG demands with the under your breath caveat of ".. If you ever want to continue work in this industry ever again..."

After reading about how Roberts handles people, I have no doubt his staff gets these threats. I'm willing to bet his wife dishes them out left and right, and she's not even qualified to review their work much less administrate them in a professional manner.

To use the example of the military once again in my experience any horrible upper management usually breeds horrible middle management where everybody just shits down upon everybody else because that's what they were subjected to and that's all they know

I'm sure everybody working in that office are just wonderful people to be around 24/7 especially somebody like Ben who has absolutely no reason being there is probably the biggest piece of poo poo to work for

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

AP posted:

I think this is terrible management obviously as I'm not a complete idiot. But if anyone reading is still working at CIG please figure out a way to record at least one of these tantrums, comedy gold.

Got you covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klOFz_VGpUg

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AP posted:

But if anyone reading is still working at CIG please figure out a way to record at least one of these tantrums, comedy gold.

quote:

"And, um, I would like to address Paul here, er, he did not complete the model on the new Ages ship as requested. Er, how do you get this projector to work here, Tim, er, how
*garbled 2 minutes* ok, its now set up. And its now crashed. Ok, lets talk about Paul while that is being rebooted. As I said he did not er get his ship done in time. Paul, I simply asked you
to curve the outer wings up like this *unseen hand movements* and you did not do that, and where is the re-angled nose I asked for? I specifically attached a post it note on a computer in your general direction about it.
I think I will have to manage you more Paul, I will be over every 15 minutes to help you"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:perfect:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tokamak posted:

I saw this 'wonderful' video get submitted to /r/starcitizen. Too bad that the submission isn't long for this world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou9OMyxOFS8

lol

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wiz posted:

The ideal employee is one that needs no management at all because they already know exactly what to do.
Uh, but how will they know which exact pixel needs to be blue?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Wiz posted:

If you actually believe S42 has had 0 feature creep, I have some spaceship jpgs to sell you.

poo poo wasn't there an article some months ago over how it's now supposed to be like, an open-ended experience with FPS heavily mixed-in instead of just being Wing Commander: The Wing Commandeering ? It almost certainly suffered from Croberts being told of features from various games and going "S42's gotta have that."

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lazrin posted:

you are

it's known as throwaway prototyping, which is exactly what chris did with the seed funding. for demo and proof of concept purposes only.

development didn't start until late 2012, if you can even say that.

No wonder Chris got pissed at people for asking when the throwaway prototype Star Marine would be ready. Development on Star Marine hadn't even started until Oct 2015.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Exposure posted:

poo poo wasn't there an article some months ago over how it's now supposed to be like, an open-ended experience with FPS heavily mixed-in instead of just being Wing Commander: The Wing Commandeering ? It almost certainly suffered from Croberts being told of features from various games and going "S42's gotta have that."

http://www.pcgamer.com/inside-squadron-42-star-citizens-ambitious-singleplayer-campaign/

This one?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tokamak posted:

I saw this 'wonderful' video get submitted to /r/starcitizen. Too bad that the submission isn't long for this world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou9OMyxOFS8

Down vote this immediately!

Derek expects every goon do his duty.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chris please for the love of god, I told the staff we were featured lock for SQ42, I don't think they can take much more. I know! I know you really like that grappling hook from infinite warfare but please no!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i thought Roberts already had plans for a laser grappling hook

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i thought Roberts already had plans for a laser grappling hook

Someone please ask him to explain the physics on how that works.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Now every time a studio is thinking about crowdfunding they have one more challenge to consider: how to keep lethality from ever finding out about their game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lethality could probably make a good living as some sort of idea tester. Everytime someone comes up with something they want to sell, they run the idea past Lethality first and drop it like a hot coal if he likes it. He could genuinely benefit the world instead of being a oval office.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol

Ben got kicked off ATV because one of Sandi's friends told her he acted more naturally than her on camera

btw the leaks have begun to flow again, there's some serious poo poo going down

more tomorrow

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

TheAgent posted:

lol

Ben got kicked off ATV because one of Sandi's friends told her he acted more naturally than her on camera

more tomorrow

You tease

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

lol

more tomorrow

:sotw:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chris and Sandi are sovereigns of their little fiefdom; no technical management- just feudalism, ha. My first job after undergrad I was working under someone who basically acted like Eric Cartman - poo poo is a mess.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

lol

more tomorrow

:parpcorn: x 1000

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub/v/91060089?t=33m08s

"and yes, chris roberts does keep opening his mouth and saying dumb poo poo that we all and probably most of CIG's higher management at this point goes 'that's bullshit! shut up Chris'"

"like homesteading on planets?"

"yea homesteading on planets, yea, thanks Chris for opening your mouth! we're not going to see that for two years if we actually do see it. you know? and I think that in general we probably have too much of a scope. But I think people are expecting more from the scope than what they are actually offering with the scope. Because what CIG has offered, on paper, officially, is multicrew ships, first person combat, trading [etc. etc]. and that's it. And we're already hitting...with 3.0 release that will be about 40% of what the game is. It doesn't have all the content in it yet but it has all the features...."

"...at some point you just Sean Murray all over yourself. And noone wants to go full Sean Murray. Because you hype the moon and you deliver a puddle."

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TheAgent posted:

This is wrong in every sense that a thing could be wrong.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

thatguy posted:

This mentality fits in with the overall project.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

thatguy posted:

He does fit in more. A fat obsessed nerd talking about nerd poo poo is far more relatable than an aloof middle aged woman.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Ben Lesnick, photogenic.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Don't make me snipe the next page with Ben's thousand-yard stare.

I'll do it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheAgent posted:

lol

more tomorrow

:laffo: if true

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

thatguy posted:

Ben Lesnick, photogenic.

I don't mean he looks better physically. But I can see why someone would describe him as "more natural" for that show.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

thatguy posted:

Ben Lesnick, photogenic.

Not so much.

But Sandi is completely stiff, wooden, and false. Relatively, he is much more at ease in front of a camera.

She's a terrible actress.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D1E posted:

Not so much.

But Sandi is completely stiff, wooden, and false. Relatively, he is much more at ease in front of a camera.

She's a worse interviewer/presenter than an actress. She's really terrible at this thing, constantly looking at her papers, talking to other people like she's reading a script. She's just bad at this, this poo poo should come naturally to an actress.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D1E posted:

Not so much.

If there is a god and if he loves me there will be a pusher cutscene at con citizens.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Hey guys/gals/goons!

Does this Captain Disillusion video ring any bells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't be so quick to laugh, those goalposts can be moved!

Next thing we'll hear is that Squadron 42 is already released! There's already missions and travelling and ship combat, its all there! You want story and cutscenes? That's what The Morrow Tour was!

God damnit, goonies, wise up!

Nope. I will stay asleep.

• Locked thread