Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

5am is when a large portion of people get up for the day to get ready for work, it's kind of important to have an alarm working during that time. Off peak would be more like 2:30 am where the only people awake are shutin nerds who don't need their phone to be on.

This is the very reason I still use a conventional alarm clock radio. It's sole purpose is to display the time and turn on the radio when the alarm is set. No need to worry about batteries running out of juice or firmware updates rendering it unusable. And lol if your alarm is tied to something in the cloud and you sleep late because you have no service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bradzilla posted:

5am is an offpeak hour hth

I just wish my phone were smart enough to know not to shut off during a time when an alarm is set.

edit:

Murphy Brownback posted:

5am is when a large portion of people get up for the day to get ready for work, it's kind of important to have an alarm working during that time. Off peak would be more like 2:30 am where the only people awake are shutin nerds who don't need their phone to be on.

This too.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Sep 22, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bradzilla posted:

This is the very reason I still use a conventional alarm clock radio. It's sole purpose is to display the time and turn on the radio when the alarm is set. No need to worry about batteries running out of juice or firmware updates rendering it unusable.

Yeah, same. I have my normal alarms set on the tablet I keep beside my bed, and then an OH poo poo IT'S REALLY FOR REAL TIME TO GET UP alarm on a cheap old alarm clock that I keep across the room. Between the two of them, it's pretty foolproof.

Of course, getting older has meant I tend to wake up before my alarms and at the same time on weekends and oh god brain why won't you let me sleep in just once.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Crow Jane posted:

The unneutered pitbull (that she bought from a breeder, despite the fact shelters here are full to the brim with pits) that bit her so badly she needed stitches was a wonderful pet, though :downs:

My step-mom has a big mutt that, over the course of 3 years, killed and ate several of her other pets, including a ball python, a baby kitten, a rabbit, and her beloved 18-year-old cat. This dog is also an rear end in a top hat that loves to run up and headbutt the backs of your knees so you fall over, and digs his way out of the yard regularly. But still, as far as my step-mom is concerned, he's a perfect angel that can do no wrong, and every time he escapes and gets picked up by animal control, she freaks out until she can find him and bail him out of the pound.

But our little dog who was greedy and had (harmless) issues about food, was somehow the most evil creature in the world to her. Like she would go out of her way to be mean to this poor little dog, refused to take it to the vet when it had health problems, and when it got out (following the big rear end in a top hat dog) she claimed she couldn't find it at the pound and "someone must have adopted it. Oh well, good riddance!"

So basically gently caress people who defend their terrible pets but hate when anyone else's animal even looks at them funny.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Henchman of Santa posted:

Any attempt to make water "delicious" is loving awful too. I accidentally had some grape flavored water a while back and I almost threw up because it tastes like the bowel prep solution they make you drink ahead of colonoscopies.

Agreed, when I was in the hospital the docs gave me drinkable contrast, it was that terrible Crystal Light lemon flavor and tasted all sorts of wrong. That and they forgot to tell me that a 16oz. bottle of the contrast would act like a laxative, not fun to try to clench and run to the toilet right before surgery prep...

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Any attempt to make water "delicious" is loving awful too. I accidentally had some grape flavored water a while back and I almost threw up because it tastes like the bowel prep solution they make you drink ahead of colonoscopies.

Turns out water, that is pure distilled water with no mineral ions in it, has no taste. I went to a CC with one of those distillation units, and tasting totally pure water was a disappointment.

The only flavors I like in my water are the minerals that come from the inside of my lead-lined pipes straight from the distillation plant. I hate the taste of chlorinated water.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I have a somewhat specific peeve right now. I have a very good friend from years ago--she lives in Asia and I live in the US. We used to be very close but I moved across the country and she left the country with her husband when they got married. She's got three kids and doesn't work, whereas I work full time, no kids, not married. His overbearing in-laws live in my area, and they come to visit for a month or so every few years. When they do, she insists I drop everything and come see her wherever she's at and whatever she's doing. That would be irritating enough except her in-laws are atrocious.

I understand that parents have different priorities than non-parents, and schedules are dictated by the kids more often than not. That would be fine. But the schedule is dictated by the husband and his parents, and no one else involved gets a say. So she gets pressured by them to do whatever thing they want, and she puts that pressure on me. Keep in mind that I don't even like her in-laws and I barely tolerate him and honestly why am I even going into their house right now when I am just here to pick up my friend to have a drink?

Last time they came I had to sit in their living room while she spent an hour getting ready and dealing with them, entertaining their kids and listening to muttered smack-talk in Vietnamese (I don't speak Vietnamese but she's picked up enough of it to figure out what they're saying). And they're not too shy to tell you how they feel about you in English, either.

Have I mentioned I do not care about these people and the only thing keeping me from flouncing away with middle fingers upraised is that I know what kind of verbal abuse she'd get after I left?

And they're always late. I get it--kids are tough. But her kids are angels. It's the in-laws. They just HAVE to stay at the museum an extra hour or grandpa just HAS to have an extra four hours with the kids and no one bothers to tell the people who are waiting to hang out with them that hey, we have to reschedule or postpone, so you just hang out at the discovery museum until the in-laws will let us leave. Maybe when we get there it'll still be open for a few more minutes.

And because I've chosen not to have children, it must mean that my schedule is wide open and I can cater to the whims of these retired people I do not know or care for. What do you mean you have to work/have a date/have an appointment/will be out of town? I told you I was here this week--you should have changed your schedule so you can accommodate me and sit awkwardly in my in-laws' living room while they scream at how incompetent I am?

She sends me her borrowed cell phone number every time she comes, but she doesn't text and doesn't respond to calls because her in-laws own and control the phone, and gently caress you if you think I'm going to talk to them if I don't have to.

I try not to give her too hard a time about it because they're so awful to her and she doesn't have many friends out here, but she's been in town for three days and I'm already stressed. We half-heartedly mentioned getting together last night but she no-showed and I'm not going to bother making plans if she's not going to be able to keep them. We used to be really good friends but I didn't marry the guy and shouldn't have to deal with his parents. On the other hand, I've had my own experiences with overbearing parents so I sympathize and I want to be there for my friend. So at this point I'm just going to keep my own plans the way they are, and stay away from his parents at all costs.

Sorry, rant over. It just keeps happening and I'd really like for just one visit to go smoothly for once.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Why exactly are you expected to hang out with her and her in-laws? I'm confused about that.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why exactly are you expected to hang out with her and her in-laws? I'm confused about that.

Because they have no other access to cars or cell phones without the in-laws, and they stay with them the entire time they're here. Because of this they're obligated to do whatever the in-laws say, and by extension, so are the friends who want to hang out with her. I'd say my piece about the whole situation but I don't want to make the visit more stressful for my friend. She's been a good friend to me and traveling to a different continent with three kids has got to be super stressful on its own.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Because they have no other access to cars or cell phones without the in-laws, and they stay with them the entire time they're here.

Is there some reason that you and she can't go out together, or maybe just meet up at your place? It's not like the kids need to be extra supervised, since they're already with their dad and grandparents.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is there some reason that you and she can't go out together, or maybe just meet up at your place? It's not like the kids need to be extra supervised, since they're already with their dad and grandparents.

Yeah, we've tried that a couple of times. That's how I ended up sitting in the living room waiting for her while they complained about everything she does. It's not so much having to deal with them, but they also make her late for everything that doesn't involve them by keeping her tethered to them for much longer than they initially planned.

They're here for six weeks. If this happens again, I'll just say "hey, you're obviously busy, I'm not going anywhere, we can reschedule." And then just leave. I'm not letting a repeat of last time happen. I just needed to vent because I don't want to take it out on my friend or trash talk her relatives.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

"Right meow" instead of "Right now". Holy poo poo I hate that phrase and everyone who says it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

HOLY gently caress posted:

"Right meow" instead of "Right now". Holy poo poo I hate that phrase and everyone who says it.

I'm a crazy cat lady and would never use that phrase, who are you hanging out with? :catstare:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm a crazy cat lady and would never use that phrase, who are you hanging out with? :catstare:

People who really love Super Troopers

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

People who really love Super Troopers

I liked that movie but hearing it in real life hurts :saddowns:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I liked that movie but hearing it in real life hurts :saddowns:

I really haven't heard "right meow" since high school, thankfully. That one and "littering and...?"

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I hate people in general who think it's hilarious to constantly quote things. I work with a few people like that... the worst ones are the assholes who quote Monty Python, South Park or other decently popular poo poo and then when someone else recognizes it they gush "oh my godddd you know what that's from?? We're best friends now!!!!!!" as if it's some amazingly clever, obscure poo poo that nobody else knows about. Why would you even quote it if you didn't expect anyone else to recognize it? gently caress off!

I've had one coworker for a while now who does that poo poo all the time... he also likes to break into song at random intervals. We recently hired another guy who does THE EXACT SAME THING and they both loving desperately want to be the center of attention, so occasionally one of them will start belting out a Disney song or whatever and the other will start in on it too, like some terrible inappropriate singing competition in the middle of the god drat store. Like, they both have good singing voices but HOW can you not tell what is and isn't an appropriate time/place for you to show off your voice and/or encyclopedic knowledge of showtunes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that just swallow oysters without chewing or tasting it. You're not gulping down medicine. And don't drown it in ketchup or tabasco or whatever. What's the point of paying so much and then covering it up so you can barley taste it.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The fact that 90% of sandwich recipes include mayonnaise. I hate mayo. I hate that I have to ask to have it removed because a lot of times shops forget and it makes me retch like a big baby when I smell it. I feel like spreads should always be optional except at actual gourmet places where a chef carefully constructed the flavor profile of a particular dish. Otherwise, leave your nasty fatty cum sauce off my sandwich!

Related: the word "Sammy" for sandwich.

The fact that women's shoes are either knee-destroyingly flat or ankle-breakingly high and very few stores carry options for people who actually care about their bone health but don't want to be offensively unfashionable.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

MasBrillante posted:

The fact that 90% of sandwich recipes include mayonnaise. I hate mayo. I hate that I have to ask to have it removed because a lot of times shops forget and it makes me retch like a big baby when I smell it. I feel like spreads should always be optional except at actual gourmet places where a chef carefully constructed the flavor profile of a particular dish. Otherwise, leave your nasty fatty cum sauce off my sandwich!

Related: the word "Sammy" for sandwich.

The fact that women's shoes are either knee-destroyingly flat or ankle-breakingly high and very few stores carry options for people who actually care about their bone health but don't want to be offensively unfashionable.

You could be me with these. Mayonnaise is a substance I'm sloooowly warming up, and even then only Japanese mayonnaise and aioli and such. The thick white globs of it that sandwich makers insist on smearing on just make me gag. How is that okay? How is that expected? Just ask before putting condiments on, they change everything and can't be picked off.

I also care deeply about my bone health and arch stability and have chosen the route of offensively unfashionable. Welcome to hiking boot club :sigh:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

oldpainless posted:

Cats will get underfoot and trip you just as you approach a staircase.

My black cat like likes sleeping on the stairs, when it's pitch black. I think he's planning to kill me.

Stoatbringer has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Sep 24, 2016

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Peeve: old people with hearing loss who ask you a question, politely listen to your long, detailed answer, and then say "Oh I'm sorry. I haven't put my hearing aids in and I didn't hear any of that."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MasBrillante posted:

Yeah, most mayo is terrible. "Hmm what would really make these fresh vegetables and meat better is slathering them in tasteless white ooze that makes it impossible to eat this sandwich cleanly and easily! Genius!" This place near me makes their own, flavored one which is delicious, but if you're going to get it from a jar just leave it off.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mayonnaise dislikers, I was one of you, once. On sandwiches, it should be applied with a light touch, not in "thick white globs". Try making your own so you can see exactly what's going into it! It's super easy and you'll probably like it a lot better than whatever pennies-per-gallon no-name "SALAD DRESSING" has been thrust upon you in the past.

That reminds me: a friend of mine was in rural China, where they don't really have a concept of "salads" (which is fair; eating raw vegetables anywhere in China is probably extremely risky), and they wanted to make her one since she is Americans. It was a sweet gesture, but... it was some lettuce leaves atop an actual bowl of mayonnaise.

I had an ex that would eat Miracle Whip — not mayonnaise, mind — on saltines as comfort food when weathering a cold or whatever. I won't begrudge anyone their comfort food, but that was weird.

~for more facts and anecdotes about mayonnaise, PM me or visit the National Mayonnaise Advisory Board and website~

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know what it is about mayonaisse that's so divisive, you don't see this many people vocally expressing their dislike of tomato sauce or mustard. Is there one particularly bad brand a lot of people wind up trying first, or something?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know what it is about mayonaisse that's so divisive, you don't see this many people vocally expressing their dislike of tomato sauce or mustard. Is there one particularly bad brand a lot of people wind up trying first, or something?

Assuming you mean ketchup when you say tomato sauce, I will always vocally express my dislike of it. Ketchup is disgusting sugary tomato paste and everything it is commonly put on would be better without it. Mustard, at least the neon yellow kind isn't much better.

Cheap mayo isn't good but it's a lot less offensive to me than ketchup.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ketchup is just barbecue sauce that's lost its way.

I like mayo, but yeah a light touch is best, and for the love of God, add a touch of black pepper if it's otherwise plain.

Condiments should always, always be at the discretion of the customer. Wars have been started over less.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

one particularly bad brand a lot of people wind up trying first

Yeah, the pennies-per-gallon industrial foodservice stuff. Compare this ingredient list from a packet of cheap mayo (remembering that on these lists, ingredients are in order of quantity)

to this ingredient list from the well-regarded recipe for mayo at Chowhound:

The cheap stuff is mostly soybean oil, corn syrup (why?!), and water. And soybean oil isn't even a good oil.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There are like 10+ foods I couldn't eat without a sugary tomato-based sauce regardless of it's composition or content (like you're making pizza but don't have sauce? Ketchup that poo poo lol I don't care) so I guess my pet peeve is being conditioned to that due to being raised in a family and culture without much culinary tradition

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DarkCrawler posted:

There are like 10+ foods I couldn't eat without a sugary tomato-based sauce regardless of it's composition or content (like you're making pizza but don't have sauce? Ketchup that poo poo lol I don't care) so I guess my pet peeve is being conditioned to that due to being raised in a family and culture without much culinary tradition

Ketchup and pizza sauce are vastly different things. I blame the australians for calling ketchup "tomato sauce" - there are so many good tomato-based sauces that aren't ketchup.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah, the pennies-per-gallon industrial foodservice stuff. Compare this ingredient list from a packet of cheap mayo (remembering that on these lists, ingredients are in order of quantity)

to this ingredient list from the well-regarded recipe for mayo at Chowhound:

The cheap stuff is mostly soybean oil, corn syrup (why?!), and water. And soybean oil isn't even a good oil.

A lot of mayo brands have added sugar, it's bad. I never realized how spoiled I was growing up with duke's mayo until I moved up north. Thankfully you can order it online and there are stores that sell it in the Chicago area.

Miracle whip now, that poo poo is vile. My grandma used to use it instead of mayo, and a friend's parents do the same thing. That's my pet peeve, people who use miracle whip. Like, at all.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

That recipe calls for vegetable oil, which is often soybean oil. :confused:

And yeah if you overuse a condiment it's gross. Make your own sandwiches and learn what you like. I used to hate mayonnaise for a while but I like it now, and sometimes mix it with hot sauce or sriracha and sesame oil for burgers.

snoo has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Sep 24, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Stoatbringer posted:

My black like likes sleeping on the stairs, when it's pitch black. I think he's planning to kill me.

There could be a room with a hundred white blankets on the floor and one black blanket/backpack/shirt/pair of jeans, and my black cat would be sleeping on the black thing. It has to be some sort of genetic evolutionary thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People who steamroll you with their extremely long and detailed question, continuing to talk over you and refuse to acknowledge your response until they're finished.

"Hi, I wanted to know what time your office opened because I need to come in on Saturday because I have liver failure [inhale]-"
"Sure, we open at-"
"-but I know not everyone is open on Saturday so I wanted to call ahead because I'm gonna be busy later and I just wanted to make sure ahead of time that my room will be ready [inhale]-"
"Uh-huh, we open at-"
"-so that I wouldn't have to worry about it for the rest of the day."
"...We open at eight thirty."
"Do you open at eight thirty on Saturday too? Because some businesses don't open until later on weekends, or sometimes just Saturdays [inhale]-"
"Yes, same time on-"
"-and I don't want to show up and have you be closed because my Saturday is very busy for me, what time do you open on Saturday?"
"We're open at eight thirty every day of the week."
"Ok, and will my room be ready, because I have to-"
etc etc etc etc

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

AlphaKretin posted:

I would be happy to vocally express my dislike of mustard. I loving hate mustard. I loathe it. I have felt this way my entire life. It tastes like death and smells even worse.

Makes it happy fun times when dealing with hot dogs. There seems to be this snobby hot dog "thing" where you're supposed to put mustard on hot dogs and only babby children put ketchup on them. I once saw a web page that proudly proclaimed "No one over the age of 12 should put ketchup on hot dogs. :smug:" gently caress OFF with that poo poo. Of all the things to be snobby about, loving hot dogs, seriously?!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I would be happy to vocally express my dislike of mustard. I loving hate mustard. I loathe it. I have felt this way my entire life. It tastes like death and smells even worse.

Makes it happy fun times when dealing with hot dogs. There seems to be this snobby hot dog "thing" where you're supposed to put mustard on hot dogs and only babby children put ketchup on them. I once saw a web page that proudly proclaimed "No one over the age of 12 should put ketchup on hot dogs. :smug:" gently caress OFF with that poo poo. Of all the things to be snobby about, loving hot dogs, seriously?!

One of the hot dog guys at Detroit Tigers games was fired because he berated a fan for using ketchup

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

One of the hot dog guys at Detroit Tigers games was fired because he berated a fan for using ketchup

Sounds like wrongful termination to me. :colbert:

(It's me, I'm the anti ketchup snob.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Silver Falcon posted:

Ketchup?? On a hot dog?? How dare you soil the good name of balloons filled with pig anuses??

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Everyone knows you put butter on sandwiches, not mayonneise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I put pesto or hummus on sandwiches. My breath is rank as hell, but my tastebuds are happy.

My peeve is that it's the year 2016 and I had to teach my brand new smartphone the word "hell" when typing that sentence. It's the mayonnaise of curse words, ffs