Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

homeless snail posted:

The founding principle of Oculus: to create a product for people in Africa to escape their lovely lives. "Wait", Palmer thinks to himself, "What if we could actively makes people's lives worse..."

lol, what the gently caress. he sounds so out of touch, it isnt even funny. does he think they will be running those "dream dens' from inception but with the VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the part about the chinese factory workers is deeply disturbing coming from a rich dude whose headset is made in china, for some reason

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol, what the gently caress. he sounds so out of touch, it isnt even funny. does he think they will be running those "dream dens' from inception but with the VR.
Yeah, because people like him literally derive their political beliefs from scifi novels. That whole spiel is some real Dark Enlightenment bullshit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe I was just being too subtle before with my "he has nothing to do with vr anymore" posts. This is the VR thread, not the "racist man baby sucks poo poo and is racist" thread. I don't care if people hate Palmer, I hate him too. But what he did has nothing to do with vr. People are free to go to a Trump hatedump thread in D&D and poo poo all over his racist memes. I just don't see what it has to do with vr besides a casual mention that it was him.

Turning this thread into a debate about unchecked Muslim immigration and racist memes doesn't do anything for someone who wants to talk about and learn about vr.

Actually Palmer Luckey has a lot to do with VR. He is the founder of Oculus, he's had numerous interviews on how he reignited interest in Virtual Reality commercially, he was on the cover of Time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe I was just being too subtle before with my "he has nothing to do with vr anymore" posts. This is the VR thread, not the "racist man baby sucks poo poo and is racist" thread. I don't care if people hate Palmer, I hate him too. But what he did has nothing to do with vr. People are free to go to a Trump hatedump thread in D&D and poo poo all over his racist memes. I just don't see what it has to do with vr besides a casual mention that it was him.

Turning this thread into a debate about unchecked Muslim immigration and racist memes doesn't do anything for someone who wants to talk about and learn about vr.

i think it is relevant, and until a mod says stop ill talk about it if i want

youve made this far worse by constantly defending pudgy it racist's honor constantly

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

d0s posted:

the part about the chinese factory workers is deeply disturbing coming from a rich dude whose headset is made in china, for some reason

yeah. it reminds me of that clip of romney talking about chinese factories and their fences.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, because people like him literally derive their political beliefs from scifi novels. That whole spiel is some real Dark Enlightenment bullshit.

pretty much. i mean sure. I think the world would be better place if we had better scifi technology but mostly medical tech/substances and energy stuff, not VR thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel a "Knifegrab was right" is more or less warranted here, so

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bargefink was right

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
free knifegrab

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

homeless snail posted:

The founding principle of Oculus: to create a product for people in Africa to escape their lovely lives. "Wait", Palmer thinks to himself, "What if we could actively makes people's lives worse..."

Well, he's not wrong exactly, in that the eventual end goal for VR is to provide indistinguishable-from-reality experiences, and there are no material costs or real estate limitations in a digital world, but as we have no idea how far away that tech is it's kind of a moral imperative to try and improve the real world first. And electing Trump is kind of antithetical to that. His stance reminds me of my former roommate's position on global warming - "we'll develop the tech to reverse/compensate for it eventually, so there's no point in reducing emissions now". Treating future tech as an inevitability is... problematic.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

As much as I'd like to see that rear end in a top hat fired, if Oculus loses business as a result of not firing him, that is also good.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

knowing what we do know about him it just comes off as the sort of cartoonishly evil capitalist thing you'd see in dystopian SF. I'm imagining a red faction game where you start off playing the character immersed in a VR paradise where everything's sponsored by ultor and it's full of these subliminal messages to be a docile worker and then the thing gets hacked by RF and lets you know the revolution has begun so you tear the headset off and punch it like doomguy(2016) and start hitting dudes with a control baton

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

d0s posted:

proud aryan ubermensch

Get the :gas:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stepping away from potatohead-pissbaby, I started working more on photogrammetry again (well, haven't stopped actually, this poo poo takes ages to process), trying the largest set yet. I was really unhappy with the seams in the model and textures, as well as having to match them up by eye from my last test where I had to break it up into 3 separate models because of memory limitations so I tried to find anyway around it and.. success!

What i ended up doing is creating the point cloud from 1500 photos all at once, then I chopped the scene up into 5 separate but slightly overlapping models totaling about 3m triangles. I exported each individually and imported them into 3d studio max. From there I could import each and merge them, and get it to be automatically joined at the correct place. Afterwards I I just needed to export the model again, and then re-import it to photoscan and have it draw a texture over it as one big model. I also had to make sure to export the models from photoscan in the first place as OBJ files, and make sure nothing was flipped or moved in any way. In order for photoscan to put a texture back on and have it make sense, the model you re-import has to be in EXACTLY the same space as it was before.

The other problem I've had from the start is where many objects will be eroded and full of holes, or gone altogether. As long as I had it in 3d studio max I decided to figure out some basics, of adding shapes. In the end all I had to do was add blocks and cylinders, line them up correctly, and when I exported them back to photoscan, photoscan painted the texture over the now filled in areas beauuutifully. I was absolutely ecstatic with the results. With this first test I only fixed up a few objects, but all the roofs, the antenna pole, the backrests and seats of the benches around the fire, and even the stick leaning against the bench were all basically non existent before when photoscan created the mesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BPRZhcTF2g

The bigger problem I think is the texture resolution is still too blocky even in this small test, and I had it generate 12 8Kx8k textures. It didn't seam to have any performance issues though, so I suppose i'll have to see how far I can push that.

Other than that I would really like to stop having to use destinations, I mean its convenient and super easy, but also a buggy hot mess with steam. Ideally I'd like to be able to put it together in unity so that I could have an executable all on its own that I could even just send to my brother or something, but I have noooooooooo loving clue how to do any poo poo like that. Does anyone know of any particularly good tutorials on just creating a basic scene in something like unity, and importing assets like that?

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 24, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

homeless snail posted:

Lol, this just got broken wide open by the tshirt experts of GAF

oh my god he's so loving dumb

you can't buy your way out of everything, Mr. Luckey.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Eonwe posted:

i think it is relevant, and until a mod says stop ill talk about it if i want

youve made this far worse by constantly defending pudgy it racist's honor constantly

I have not defended his honor at all. If you had actually read any of my posts instead of assuming I was being a shill, you'd see I've said several times that I don't like him. He's a giant shitlord and it seems like Oculus figured this out since he hasn't been the public face for Oculus since the pepperidge farm incident. I'm guessing they told him he gets to keep his title but he isn't allowed to speak publicly on Oculus' behalf anymore.

As for your mod post, here you go. All the way back on page 82.

VideoGames posted:

Hello thread!

This is the VR thread. Please direct all talk involving Trump and the presidency to D&D for serious thoughts, or C-Spam for silly thoughts. This is not the appropriate place.

Thank you kindly,
VG

This isn't the "Palmer Luckey sucks" thread, this is the VR thread.

KakerMix posted:

Actually Palmer Luckey has a lot to do with VR. He is the founder of Oculus, he's had numerous interviews on how he reignited interest in Virtual Reality commercially, he was on the cover of Time.

He founded Oculus and reignited everyone's enthusiasm for VR. Then Facebook bought Oculus. Then Palmer started acting like a moron and started trying to speak for Oculus but it became clear that what he was saying had nothing to do with what Oculus management was doing. He's a petulant man-child and it's quite clear he doesn't have much to do with the day to day running of Oculus anymore.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol literally four posts down you buffoon

VideoGames posted:

Yes. Palmer Lucky is definitely a valid talking point here because he is intimately related to VR.

edit: VVV you realize you're one of the ones fanning the flame of discussion here though right? people don't post 10 pages in a day unless they have someone to argue with

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 24, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Whatever. I'll be back whenever you guys are done shitposting about some nerd.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Whatever. I'll be back whenever you guys are done shitposting about some nerd.

lmao. walrus dunked on you pretty good

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Luckey was "intimately related to VR" 700 million dollars ago.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bloodysabbath posted:

Luckey was "intimately related to VR" 700 million dollars ago.

wowzers. its cool how wrong people can be

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
im intimately involved with VR about 6 minutes each night

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
Finding out palmer is a shitheel is a bummer. I think my next VR device will be a vive.

I have been working on lots of VR related projects. First hardware stuff:

Steel tube sim setup that fits into my office closet:

A 3d printed button plate optimized for VR use I will have up on shapeways. In the bottom right there will be a small thumbstick mapped to mouse functionality. This will let me operate all the UI in iracing without needing to drag my mouse and keyboard across the room every time I run it. This is an older revision, I had to adjust how the cable management tie down points work, and adjust the mounting for the thumbstick. The controller boar snaps into place which is cool:

I have dreams of building my entire miata piece by piece and making a room scale miata mechanic game. I put together a workflow for building the car that would allow me to work in small increments in my spare time and I have been slowly chipping away at the art. Basically, photogrammetry as reference material, then build a clean high poly mesh from scratch. The advantage with working this way is that I can be assured the each part and sub assembly will fit together which allows me to tackle every part as an individual task. Normally, building a complex assembly of parts with bolt holes that need to line up is a nightmare unless you can build it all at once, otherwise it is very difficult to ensure things will fit together after. Sample FUCA:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
But where are you going to hang your suit?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

asmasm posted:

Cool race closet
Isn't it going to get really warm in there?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

KakerMix posted:

Just turn on the VR AC.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eonwe posted:

would you want your employer to know you secretly funded pictures of nazi frogs saying racist things in support of a candidate who called mexicans rapists
no, I wouldn't:

ColdPie posted:

It's my opinion that active racists, homophobes, and other hateful bigots should not be employable in the US. They should be publicly shamed and their employers pressured until they are forced to quit or stop supporting hate groups.

but I don't think "fall in line with rightthink or you will be exiled to the gulag in siberia" is really the best argument.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Klyith posted:

no, I wouldn't:

but I don't think "fall in line with rightthink or you will be exiled to the gulag in siberia" is really the best argument.

In Trump's America he would be fired without recourse which is why this is hilarious.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

KakerMix posted:

I don't run it with the doors closed. I built it into my office closet so I can close the doors and have it out of sight.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

no, I wouldn't:

hmm. good post. you really showed the guy who posted that he should be exiled and jailed for his opinions, rather than mocked and forced to suffer the personal/professional consequences for him publicly displaying his beliefs. i dont know why you quoted me but its an honest mistake

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

asmasm posted:

I don't run it with the doors closed. I built it into my office closet so I can close the doors and have it out of sight.

Oh nice. In college (circa 2003) my roommates and I made a "gaming closet" where we shoved a giant crt TV and our consoles (og Xbox, Playstation 2, GameCube) in there with a single chair. It was cool except for the part where you'd die from no oxygen and fart inhalation.
What I am saying is an open door race closet is cool as heck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Klyith posted:

no, I wouldn't:

At no point did I suggest sending anyone to prison or into exile. My (highly impractical) suggestion is accomplished purely through citizens exercising their first amendment rights.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, that is really intensifying my desire to learn welding.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ColdPie posted:

At no point did I suggest sending anyone to prison or into exile. My (highly impractical) suggestion is accomplished purely through citizens exercising their first amendment rights.

Maybe all the VR headsets that Palmer is gonna hand out to the impoverished to make them feel better about their lot can come with Gulag Simulator 2017 as a pack-in, to let them know just how much better they have it.

Eonwe posted:

i dont know why you quoted me but its an honest mistake

quoting his post was a roundabout method to explain that no, I wouldn't want my employer to know that I had donated to Trump, Bernie, planned parenthood, greenpeace, or any other cause all the way down to the Orphans and Kittens Fund. this is because I live in a state which has a law with a mile-wide loophole in employment protection: I can't be fired for the donation itself, but I can be fired because my employer doesn't like my politics.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

asmasm posted:

I have been working on lots of VR related projects. First hardware stuff:

A number of people have built themselves force feedback steering wheels. Do you think you'd ever consider adding one of those?

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

Cockmaster posted:

A number of people have built themselves force feedback steering wheels. Do you think you'd ever consider adding one of those?

That is what I have on there- it is a 20nm servo motor being run as a force feedback wheel.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can't we all just agree that VR is an expensive fad that will pass?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Any boycott ever is stupid.

I'm personally boycotting your post until you publicly resign and apologize.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

McGiggins posted:

Can't we all just agree that VR is expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

McGiggins posted:

Can't we all just agree that VR is an expensive fad that will pass?

No because that's stupid