Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The long term problem with guns even with regulations is that whatever the status quo is I think is likely to result in some small segment with mental health issues taking things out of proportion and through a lack of social contact (due to paranoia) are difficult to diagnose and constructively engage in a timely manner.

The real solution would be to regulate the hobby in such a way that you are regularly forced to interact with other people of mixed backgrounds, beliefs, and ethnicities so that the lone nut types have people who can report them if they start acting crazy and escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spacetoaster posted:

Stop bashing police.

I personally can take it or leave it, but I always thought it was there so police can't harass legitimate hunters.

There's a world of difference between hunters and open carry nuts.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
E: wrong thread

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 24, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fits my needs posted:

I don't know. I think there is a simpler solution. Can't we just have these gun people just focus more on football and other stupid rural/Southern stuff to jerk off themselves to? It's already their religion, just replace guns with like football camps for everyone 365 days a year or something.

Donald Trump killed year-long football. Blame him.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I got into it a few months ago with a friend's neighbor. He started talking about how he & his wife were going to take a tactical shooting class because "you never know when poo poo's going down at the mall etc."

Not sure if this video of Killer Mike going off has been posted on one of the pages I skipped. If it has, watch it again anyway, Mike gets heated.
https://youtu.be/kM0wBiSGW-8

I really want to hear what the lady walking up the aisle hollering back had to say back.

highme fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 24, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would also teach gun safety in elementary school, but I have a feeling that idea would be a lot less popular here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I would also teach gun safety in elementary school, but I have a feeling that idea would be a lot less popular here.

The idea we need to indoctrinate everyone in pro-gun bullshit, just so the 25% who decide to own them don't have to learn about how to use their new death toys is dumber than flag football

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

highme posted:

I got into it a few months ago with a friend's neighbor. He started talking about how he & his wife were going to take a tactical shooting class because "you never know when poo poo's going down at the mall etc."

Are there any guys left in the United States who don't think they're John goddamn McClane?

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

St. Dogbert posted:

Are there any guys left in the United States who don't think they're John goddamn McClane?

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a katana is a good guy with a katana.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/778976543133556736

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

The idea we need to indoctrinate everyone in pro-gun bullshit, just so the 25% who decide to own them don't have to learn about how to use their new death toys is dumber than flag football

I'm not sure that a class on gun safety is necessarily indoctrination into pro-gun bullshit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hillary Clinton: Literally Coo-coo"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

St. Dogbert posted:

Those kind of classes are one hundred percent bullshit. Right?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

1. Don't touch it, if it's in public call the cops.
2. Always assume it's real, loaded and dangerous.
3. If you have to move it (you don't) keep your finger off the trigger and don't sweep anyone.

:siren: indoctrination! :siren:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

3. If you have to move it (you don't) keep your finger off the trigger and don't sweep anyone.

So... things we literally already are taught in kindergarden with regards to drugs, knives, guns and other dangerous objects?

If this is what you mean then congrads, it's already happening.

"Hey kids, if you see (dangerous thing) don't touch it, treat it as dangerous and tell an adult right away" is the kind of stuff they have cartoon characters telling you between sippy cup breaks. I don't think that is what they meant.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol ok I just have a feeling when people say "gun safety classes" they mean something taught by an NRA instructor, not your 3 tips

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Eifert Posting posted:

I would support that. I found a loaded pistol once when I was pretty young and playing in the woods. I remember wishing I had more confidence in its workings so I could unload it safely.

The reality is there's a poo poo load of guns in the US and people should be trained to avoid accidents when they inevitably come in contact with them.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

Those kind of classes are one hundred percent bullshit. Right?

They are probably like self defense classes. In that they teach some valid stuff, but to someone who has not made it a lifelong pursuit they will probably forget everything they learned if it is ever needed.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Replace "pigeon noise" with "audible chuckle" and I'm fully on board with this plan

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eifert Posting posted:

Here's all the gun safety you need: don't play with guns, and for the love of god don't go pointing them at people.

GalacticAcid posted:

I would support that. I found a loaded pistol once when I was pretty young and playing in the woods. I remember wishing I had more confidence in its workings so I could unload it safely.

The reality is there's a poo poo load of guns in the US and people should be trained to avoid accidents when they inevitably come in contact with them.

"Don't touch that". Done.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Eifert Posting posted:

Which class gets cut for shooty-time?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I was like 10, fishmech.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol ok I just have a feeling when people say "gun safety classes" they mean something taught by an NRA instructor, not your 3 tips

Assuming someone is saying something they aren't certainly makes arguing with them a lot easier

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Wait do you really want to spend enough time on guns in school so kids in elementary school know how to unload any old gun they find?

Also I have never ever come across a loose gun so the idea everyone runs into them is insane.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Assuming someone is saying something they aren't certainly makes arguing with them a lot easier

If they would just say what they mean it would be even easier.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

So... things we literally already are taught in kindergarden with regards to drugs, knives, guns and other dangerous objects?

If this is what you mean then congrads, it's already happening.

"Hey kids, if you see (dangerous thing) don't touch it, treat it as dangerous and tell an adult right away" is the kind of stuff they have cartoon characters telling you between sippy cup breaks. I don't think that is what they meant.

Okay fair enough. My grade-school didn't do that, they were too busy telling us dinosaurs didn't fit on the ark and not to believe in Darwin.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait do you really want to spend enough time on guns in school so kids in elementary school know how to unload any old gun they find?

Also I have never ever come across a loose gun so the idea everyone runs into them is insane.

If they would just say what they mean it would be even easier.

Running into loose guns requires going outside so it's not a big problem for goons.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Okay fair enough. My grade-school didn't do that, they were too busy telling us dinosaurs didn't fit on the ark and not to believe in Darwin.

Lmao, and that's why the people who worship gun culture should have no say in any gun legislation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Running into loose guns requires going outside so it's not a big problem for goons.

Oh sick burn :rolleyes:

Seriously if the argument is "gun havers are so bad at keeping track of their murder tools that elementary school kids should learn how to deal" maybe we there is a better alternative

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GalacticAcid posted:

No, running into loose guns really isn't a thing pretty much anywhere. What with the amount of households with any guns at all being a minority, and those that have more than 1 or 2 being an even smaller minority.

Yeah yeah people talk up there being 300 million plus guns in this country, but the vast majority of them are hoarded by weirdos. And you're not going to find yourself in old man Johnson's crazy armory by accident.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fits my needs posted:

Lmao, and that's why the people who worship gun culture should have no say in any gun legislation.

Could you clarify what you mean by this?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

nah i can see the merit in teaching children what to do if they find a gun, namely, do not touch it at all and tell an adult

i also think we should teach drug safety in high school. know your dose, know what you're taking, don't dose on a whim, don't mix doses, never dose in water, never double dose, etc. would probably save some lives

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

"Dear Hillary, you've brought the Alt-Right to the mainstream, now please do the same for the ASMR community!"

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Continuing the vindication of Prester Jane:

http://www.businessinsider.com/clinton-trump-debate-psychology-experts-2016-9

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
For the record I'm not in favor of private gun ownership.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Gyges posted:

This campaign is actually about raising enough in donations so that he can buy himself a 777BBJ. For the "campaign", of course.

Not the VIP? :sad:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

GalacticAcid posted:

I think the bigger issue is kids finding their parents' gun in the house as opposed to "random gun laying in the road."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^
Yup, that's why the first priority should be pressuring owners to have secure storage. Owning certain kinds of firearms without a bolted in safe should be penalized. I don't know how you would though.

I grew up in a pretty gun saturated environment and never just came across a gun in the middle of nowhere.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 24, 2016

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
Statistically gun ownership and the murder rate are not terribly correlated. America has a murder problem first and a gun problem second.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Doredrin posted:

Statistically gun ownership and the murder rate are not terribly correlated. America has a murder problem first and a gun problem second.

Pull up thread pull up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

TVs Ian posted:

I think the bigger issue is kids finding their parents' gun in the house as opposed to "random gun laying in the road."

Yeah that's definitely true, my comment was a dumb joke callback to my anecdote of finding one in the woods.

In the end, since we weren't retarded, we got my friend's dad and he wound up bringing it to the local police. So maybe a safety course isn't necessary after all.

• Locked thread