Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
disregard.. I've learned how to not be retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

rediscover posted:

disregard.. I've learned how to not be retarded

teach me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So i found out how they tweaked monster hearts in the remake. It used to be a 1/256 drop from monsters who could drop their heart, which is still true, but if you get the corresponding monster tablet the drop rate for the heart is way way higher. So the idea is to tame them and then grind them in the tablet. Monster masher gets a move that increases chance of taming such that if you max out the class and then use he ability five times in battle you will never fail. I can't wait to actually unlock the monster meadow system and dig into that stuff, but I understand it doesn't unlock until hour 50

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Finished the second island.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

In Training posted:

So i found out how they tweaked monster hearts in the remake. It used to be a 1/256 drop from monsters who could drop their heart, which is still true, but if you get the corresponding monster tablet the drop rate for the heart is way way higher. So the idea is to tame them and then grind them in the tablet. Monster masher gets a move that increases chance of taming such that if you max out the class and then use he ability five times in battle you will never fail. I can't wait to actually unlock the monster meadow system and dig into that stuff, but I understand it doesn't unlock until hour 50

I've wasted about 6 hours grinding jobs and xp and unlocked the monster meadow a little before 40 hours. Not sure I want to commit to building up a character as monsters though, there's very little in-game info telling you about how/why you'd do that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've wasted about 6 hours grinding jobs and xp and unlocked the monster meadow a little before 40 hours. Not sure I want to commit to building up a character as monsters though, there's very little in-game info telling you about how/why you'd do that.

skills you learn s a monster are permanent, you cn only use a lot of advanced class abilities aon the class that learns them. a also I think mastering a monster class unlocks the next one in a tree for that char without needing a heart

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

just finished Spanish iisland and I'm just grindng the metal slime tablet for a bit. 35 hours so far nd the game rules. I loved 7 s a kid nd this one fixed all the lovely parts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

just finished Spanish iisland and I'm just grindng the metal slime tablet for a bit. 35 hours so far nd the game rules. I loved 7 s a kid nd this one fixed all the lovely parts

El Ciclo was my fave island so far

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

The nottagen scenario is great, they're using the cheapest trick in the book to tug at my heartstrings and it works.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did a sidequest on the world map in between island hopping and the reward was a whole new character :pwn:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

I did a sidequest on the world map in between island hopping and the reward was a whole new character :pwn:

o.o was it one of the peeps on the box?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Moments like this are why FF6 was so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

o.o was it one of the peeps on the box?

He totally is, I forgot to even think of that haha. He's gonna be pure monster classes though so ill never see his human form again. Also I maxed out monster masher class and the last ability you get is a 0MP fire move that does 150+ damage to all enemies

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I feel like I'm missing out out on some stuff.. I only have a heal slime heart and nobody is living at the haven.. think I might spend some time tonight getting cozy and looking for the monster people. or maybe that would he tedious and not cozy at all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I only have 3 monster hearts that I found in chests, I haven't had any drop. And filling out the haven is pretty quick, almost every present day version of a town has a Haven inhabitant sitting in the Bar or Inn

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

lol I've missed all of them. I only have the one you find in pilchard bay

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

im really enjoying the tablet dungeons, its fun to do a quick dungeon crawl between story segmnts. the one in el ciclo is a metal slime dungeon too, so thts cool

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I havent been able to find the tablet for after the metal slime dungeon. The clue is very clear but there isnt any person like that.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

I havent been able to find the tablet for after the metal slime dungeon. The clue is very clear but there isnt any person like that.

They are gated by the story, you need to do more Islands before they appear.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Can someone explain the Monster Munchies thing to me? I just got to that part and the entire thing was extremely vague and confusing, and I teleported to like 40 different screens just to leave the drat place. And tablets too? Dafuq how do I get more tablets?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Can someone explain the Monster Munchies thing to me? I just got to that part and the entire thing was extremely vague and confusing, and I teleported to like 40 different screens just to leave the drat place. And tablets too? Dafuq how do I get more tablets?

Now that you have monster munchies any monster you fight has a chance of joining your Monster Meadow after battle. you don't need to use it or even have it on a person, it just stays in your bag now. One of the jobs you can get has abilities/passives that dramatically boost the chance of "catching" a monster, even to a 100% chance if you max stuff out, if you want to try catching them all.

For now the only way you get more tablets is by progressing through the story, youll find basically one NPC per town that will go back to the haven and give you a tablet. Tablets are little mini dungeons that are populated solely by one monster. They each have a boss (which can be pretty tough actually) and will give you a super seed when you first clear them. Eventually, youll unlock the ability to use the monsters youve captured inyour meadow to generate more tablets, which you can also share via street pass (this comes way later)

The important things about tablet dungeons are that a) drop rates are way higher than monsters in the wild so theyre allow you to grind for specific stuff a lot faster and b) the job level cap is way higher so you can get job levels easier in them. I think a lot of my post game time will be messing around with the tablet system.

that was alot of words but hopefully it makes more sense

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tablets are random dungeons tht you can get to from the plinth under haven. theres two ways to g et them without going online, you get fixed dungeons frm an npc scavenger hunt that starts whn you get the tablet from the frst guy you bring back to haven. secnd way is to get them from sending out monstrs to explore, which you cant do until you finish unlockng the monster park way later. whne you get that, any monsters tht you tell about the park will be there to go explore for tablets. now tht you have monster munchies, monsters will get up after battles sometimes nd ask for directions to the park. thats automatic, you dont need the munchies on a character to make that happen

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

poo poo lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Now that you have monster munchies any monster you fight has a chance of joining your Monster Meadow after battle. you don't need to use it or even have it on a person, it just stays in your bag now. One of the jobs you can get has abilities/passives that dramatically boost the chance of "catching" a monster, even to a 100% chance if you max stuff out, if you want to try catching them all.

For now the only way you get more tablets is by progressing through the story, youll find basically one NPC per town that will go back to the haven and give you a tablet. Tablets are little mini dungeons that are populated solely by one monster. They each have a boss (which can be pretty tough actually) and will give you a super seed when you first clear them. Eventually, youll unlock the ability to use the monsters youve captured inyour meadow to generate more tablets, which you can also share via street pass (this comes way later)

The important things about tablet dungeons are that a) drop rates are way higher than monsters in the wild so theyre allow you to grind for specific stuff a lot faster and b) the job level cap is way higher so you can get job levels easier in them. I think a lot of my post game time will be messing around with the tablet system.

Thanks, this is way better than the games explanation :cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Thanks, this is way better than the games explanation :cheers:

:cheers: also as you find more monsters in the world the haven grows bigger and bigger which is something i always love in games.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I think what threw me off is how they combined both tutorials into like 4 lines total & I was struggling to figure out how the tablets were connected to anything

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also you don't have to have the munchies in your characters' inventory, just toss it in the bag

once the bar gets built in the Haven(this happens really quickly if you've been hunting down monsters asap) talk to the barman to get online tablet stuff and download some of the SQEX ones, the current rotation is out after the 30th I think.

If you're lame and bad you can use the Tough Nuts map and one shot everything with scorch, there's no jobxp level cap on the dlc maps so you can go nuts. the enemies DO apparently have champion abilities though so if you don't outspeed them you're gonna die real fuckin' quick.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

Fungah! posted:

tablets are random dungeons tht you can get to from the plinth under haven. theres two ways to g et them without going online, you get fixed dungeons frm an npc scavenger hunt that starts whn you get the tablet from the frst guy you bring back to haven. secnd way is to get them from sending out monstrs to explore, which you cant do until you finish unlockng the monster park way later. whne you get that, any monsters tht you tell about the park will be there to go explore for tablets. now tht you have monster munchies, monsters will get up after battles sometimes nd ask for directions to the park. thats automatic, you dont need the munchies on a character to make that happen

Yinlock posted:

also you don't have to have the munchies in your characters' inventory, just toss it in the bag

once the bar gets built in the Haven(this happens really quickly if you've been hunting down monsters asap) talk to the barman to get online tablet stuff and download some of the SQEX ones, the current rotation is out after the 30th I think.

If you're lame and bad you can use the Tough Nuts map and one shot everything with scorch, there's no jobxp level cap on the dlc maps so you can go nuts. the enemies DO apparently have champion abilities though so if you don't outspeed them you're gonna die real fuckin' quick.

Some good explanations; but something's still not clear to me: is there ever any good reason to ask residents to leave or to discard tablets? Or is that option just there?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

there's 2 types i think, ones you find offline which advance the monster-chain and build up the town, and ones you download online that don't contribute to the town but give you tablets anyway.

I assume there's a limit on the 2nd type which is why you can boot people, but I haven't reached it/never tried so I dunno.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
This seems like a game I'd love to have a big strat guide to flip through

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

This seems like a game I'd love to have a big strat guide to flip through

Definitely. I had a Pikmin strategy guide and I loved looking through all the Pikmin art on the edges of pages

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I wish Nintendo Power was around to give this a six page spread.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

el ciclo is by far the coolest island so far. for those in the know you get to fuxkin stop time and go into a painting which takes you into a space time vortex dungeon *macklemore voice* this is loving awesome

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i just got to the robot island, how far am i from getting Jobs?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

rediscover posted:

el ciclo is by far the coolest island so far. for those in the know you get to fuxkin stop time and go into a painting which takes you into a space time vortex dungeon *macklemore voice* this is loving awesome

Time Frame is one of the best name jokes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i just got to the robot island, how far am i from getting Jobs?

After robot island there's one more island and then you get to jobs island

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

After like 35 hours I've reached a point where I don't have enough fragments to fill out any new islands and I'm a little lost

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured it out and now I'm saving Nottagen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

In Training posted:

I figured it out and now I'm saving Nottagen

Was it the desert palace fragment that you got stuck on? Because it took me like 2-3 Islands before I realized I was supposed to search for it in the past.

• Locked thread